Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: [Adult Swim] Rick and Morty

Post by LordMortis »

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Gotta get them on a more consistent schedule. It's an awesome show that's been very interesting to watch evolve over time.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Those were fun.

Don't forget, too: Season 4 Premieres Sunday, November 10th
Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Season 4 premiere was everything I love about Rick and Morty. :wub:

My favorite line?

Goddamn it, when this did this shit become the default?
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Last night's episode was top-notch. It bounced between being both meta and irritated at everyone for trying to find deeper meaning. The scene afterwards with Summer killed me, as does any time Rick(s) yell at Morty about something. There's just something so unhinged about his rants that cracks me up every time. So happy this show is back.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I forgot to record it, and in 3 weeks our cable and DVR will go away so I won't be able to see it anyway. My life is ruined.

Still waiting for black friday sales to buy my new TV and plunge, kicking and screaming, into the streaming world.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

It was (is?) free to watch on adultswim.com
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:15 pm Last night's episode was top-notch. It bounced between being both meta and irritated at everyone for trying to find deeper meaning. The scene afterwards with Summer killed me, as does any time Rick(s) yell at Morty about something. There's just something so unhinged about his rants that cracks me up every time. So happy this show is back.
I loved the morality study that was Wasp Rick. Horrifying and wholesome at the same time, depending on the rapidly changing viewpoints.
Covfefe!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

The Meal wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:08 am It was (is?) free to watch on adultswim.com
Just watched, all caught up now. Another excellent episode. I absolutely love how Morty catches it in the shorts at the end.
Black Lives Matter

Daveman

Post by Daveman »

That was a great premiere. Loved the string of fascist universes. It was a silly part, but for whatever reason the exchange between the news anchors cracked me up...

Anchorman - "Up next, teen boy is on a killer rampage."
Anchorwoman- "But first..."
Anchorman - "I JUST SAID MY STORY IS UP NEXT, WHY DO YOU ALWAYS DO THAT?"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And once again, I will need to rewatch the episode at least 2 more times to catch everything.
Covfefe!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:50 pm And once again, I will need to rewatch the episode at least 2 more times to catch everything.
I picked up on maybe half of that. The little details in the background were missed. I did have a Boglin when I was a kid, though, and that hit home instantly. I loved that his was still in its cage/box.
Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There really was a ton of stuff going on in just about every scene. The one thing I thought of that I haven't seen mentioned is how the whole setup to the episode (what initially happens to Rick in his spaceship) is a throwback to a the plot point of how he always refuses to wear his seatbelt. It's been an issue in a number of other episodes - including when Cop Morty didn't wear a seat belt but Cop Rick did. It seems like such a small thing, but (I think) it was clearly intentional.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I enjoyed it. The news report was intriguing to me. It felt almost like it was leaving R&M and entering Family Guy or South Park territory and yet the commentary, especially when added to "is this the new default" thing and while also considering how Harmon responded differently than pretty much every other #metoo accused in media, I liked it. It felt... honest? Is that the word? I don't know. I don't care about conversations of depth or too much politicking. It played well my book, much like does poetry that actually speaks to you, whether you "get it" or not. I'm glad they didn't go even darker (yet?). The citadel of Rick's election and candy making episode last time was a bit too gloomy for me.

I totally missed the seatbelt continuity connection. But I miss everything. I feel like I missed what I was supposed to "get" with Akira because I saw it only once, the year it was released at my first ever GenCon, where it played in some small room at like 04:00. So that's like 30 years ago, at 04:00 when my mind is only focused on things like "FASA has the coolest display I've ever seen and sure everyone only cares about the Shadowrun stuff but ... over here at this other display, I've never seen miniatures like for, what's this, Space Hulk?, my God, did they really create a ship diorama that beautiful out of strawberry containers? I need this..." I remember the Monsters coin of football and the networked FPS, MIDI Maze very clearly. I even remember mural painted on building across from the McDonald's down the street. It was a painted reflection of the building the McDonald's was in but there was no McDonald's in the painting. Akira. Nope. Motorcycles and guy turns into a monster, maybe....

The AS drop said it had been 700+ days. It didn't seem that long. Venture Bros, now that always feels like forever but R&M feel like "it is what it is".

The animation felt cheaper to me for reasons I can't explain but the show has so much going on I didn't dwell on it. The same goes for some of the 4th wall stuff from the trial. It happened so fast that I wouldn't even think I didn't care for it, had I not been thinking about it now.

Anyhoo... It's an expensive reason to keep cable or look for a cable alternative but I'm glad I have it for now, though I'm a bit sad we'll only get 5 episodes (if my reading is correct)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They've already promised less turnaround between seasons AND they've been renewed for 70 more episodes. I think we're going to get a lot of R&M in the future...and in a more timely fashion.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Y'all should go watch this Hulu trailer.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Returning for another 5 episodes starting on 5/3/20

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Hep and Smoove musta loved this week because a had to stop and rewind a dozen times and still couldn't keep up with dialog. Just too much and too fast. Absolute nonstop. I'm guessing I missed 30% that it seemed like I should have been following and ally'all seem to always pull so much more from the show than I do.

At the same time, there is an irony where I fear the show is losing the things that unexpectedly attracted me to it. Like even though they threw in everything but the kitchen sink, the care didn't seem there. Maybe that was the "continuity" point. I dunno. But I'm ascared that Solar Opposites is taking their creative fun. (And here I am debating subscribing to Hulu to find out how the show stacks up)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I just started this show (8 episodes in).

At some point I got tired of seeing the merchandise and wondering WTF a Pickle Rick was.

Also, I was under the mistaken impression (again, due to the merch) that this was a kid's show. Glad I never let the kids watch it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Definitely enjoying it though. Quarantine's had me on a bit of a weird animation kick, so I've been checking out a lot of Adult Swim stuff I've never seen before.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I think I mentioned it before but I actively avoided the first season. From the commercials it looks like it was going to be everything I dislike about a chunk of adult swim cartoons. I happened to be zoning when I caught some episode or another of season 2 to discover how amazingly wrong my impressions from the commercials were. I have my nits, but the show is still a primary motivator of my not giving up television entirely.

And yeah, no kids. When you catch up to last night episode. ooph.

Spoiler:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:24 pm I just started this show (8 episodes in).

At some point I got tired of seeing the merchandise and wondering WTF a Pickle Rick was.

Also, I was under the mistaken impression (again, due to the merch) that this was a kid's show. Glad I never let the kids watch it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Definitely enjoying it though. Quarantine's had me on a bit of a weird animation kick, so I've been checking out a lot of Adult Swim stuff I've never seen before.
Whaaaaaa.... :shock:

Well, I’m glad you rectified that situation. Now, about that show Venture Bros...
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Yes, Venture Bros is glorious. The Henchmen and the Monarch especially.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LordMortis wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:32 pm Hep and Smoove musta loved this week because a had to stop and rewind a dozen times and still couldn't keep up with dialog. Just too much and too fast. Absolute nonstop. I'm guessing I missed 30% that it seemed like I should have been following and ally'all seem to always pull so much more from the show than I do.
Yeah, I thought it was great. It really was all happening at like 100mph and I definitely need to watch it all again to pick up some more. Though maybe they didn't really want me to watch it again? Was that the point? Am I getting too involved in the story and I should just be enjoying it? Am I putting too much pressure on the creators by having such high expectations? Is it too much to hope for a deep story regarding the nature of one's mental state and the desire to turn one's self into a pickle rather than confront your own issues?
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:55 pm
LordMortis wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:32 pm Hep and Smoove musta loved this week because a had to stop and rewind a dozen times and still couldn't keep up with dialog. Just too much and too fast. Absolute nonstop. I'm guessing I missed 30% that it seemed like I should have been following and ally'all seem to always pull so much more from the show than I do.
Yeah, I thought it was great. It really was all happening at like 100mph and I definitely need to watch it all again to pick up some more. Though maybe they didn't really want me to watch it again? Was that the point? Am I getting too involved in the story and I should just be enjoying it? Am I putting too much pressure on the creators by having such high expectations? Is it too much to hope for a deep story regarding the nature of one's mental state and the desire to turn one's self into a pickle rather than confront your own issues?
The answer lies in Floaty Bloody Man’s time-dilated nightmare reality. Or Jesus. Or both.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Acid proof swat team member had me laughing for almost a solid straight minute.

I declare the acid vat episode to be the best of the season.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't know if I'm ready to say it was the best, but it was really, really good. The part that made me LOL was the ending of the sequence with Morty's girlfriend. I always laugh when they get ultra verbally hostile with one another too. This was kind of a dark episode overall - I mean, it will filled with jokes, but the underlying story was a bit grim. Definitely a classic.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Bit?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think the reason I found acid proof man so hilarious was that I was NOT expecting that to go down the way it did. Something even Rick pointed out. :lol:

The entire scene with Morty growing increasingly frustrated with Rick's overly elaborate acid vat scheme was just classic R&M. Completely non verbal, but you KNEW exactly what has happening between them thanks to the facial expressions and middle fingers. Another scene that did not go the way I expected it to when the thugs decided to stop and think about life in a weird moment of personal introspection.

I've also been watching Solar Opposites on Hulu. I just finished the last episode of the first season, as a matter of fact. I think without the (and it's weird to say this) humanizing effect of Dan Harmon, Justin Roiland relies too much on his own belief that cruelty itself is funny. I enjoyed much of it, don't get me wrong. But there were quite a few times when I thought to myself, "This is where Harmon would have inserted a moment of poignancy or reflected on why this character's cruelty isn't REALLY funny.". They did have a breakout episode focused on a bunch of humans trapped by the aliens in a walled up society, but other than that it just felt dark for the sake of being dark much of the time.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Thank you for the review. Quite frankly dark for sake of dark is not what I need right now. The realities of isolation have been setting in too much over the last month or more.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Gotta remember the fun times

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

"It's not a great sign that your army is on the same side as disease"

Ooph
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

hepcat wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:03 pm Acid proof swat team member had me laughing for almost a solid straight minute.

I declare the acid vat episode to be the best of the season.
I agree, all around great episode, one of the best out of all the seasons. Missed last nights, have to catch the repeat.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I still think the Acid Vat episode is the funniest of the season, but damn if season 4 didn't end with a bang. I loved the whole "is there a real Beth anymore" story, the frequent references to everyone having an "arc"...except for Rick (and, with Summer and Morty, an arc that doesn't end up where it should).

This season has been incredibly dense in many places, so methinks I should rewatch the entire thing to try to piece it all together.

Best line of the episode?

<Morty steals invisibility belt from Summer>
Summer: Well, I guess I'll see you at cheerleader practice. Should I wear a poncho?
Morty: <pregnant pause> Okay....state your terms.

:lol:

But Jerry dropping the gun, the corporate sponsorship gag for the Death Star, and the aliens surrendering to Morty because they think he has mind powers were also laugh out loud moments.
Spoiler:
Covfefe!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

You son of a bitch, I'm in.

[Insert dead video link for season 5 teaser]
Last edited by Paingod on Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I had to watch the S5 premiere last night and found it to be quite enjoyable, Exasperated, annoyed Morty is the best Morty. As someone that obsessed over the red-haired girl in high school, I feel Morty's pain.