[Adult Swim] Rick and Morty

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Paingod

Re: [Adult Swim] Rick and Morty

Post by Paingod »

hepcat wrote:The light switch gag alone had me spitting up my drink. :lol:
While I thought it was funny, what I got was that Morty hit the switch that had been asked for first - and when it didn't work, he hit the other one. Then he got downdressed for it, and it just wasn't worth his energy to fight it and prove Rick wrong. Then the whole rest of the episode was littered with Rick being wrong, and I felt vindicated.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It was the consequences of hitting that wrong switch that made me laugh. Morty essentially killed a bunch of folks on life support somewhere. So dark. :lol:
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

OMG!

I am late to this party as usual.

When I discovered Futurama (also late to the party), I binged it as obsessively as I could.

When I discovered Arrested Development, I watched the first three seasons in two weeks.

I feel the same way now.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Strap in. We're not likely to see more for two years.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm not so sure about that. Word on the street is that maybe there's a little surprise coming closer to the end of the year...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We've been binge-watching and are halfway through S2. Enjoying it rather a lot. A few episodes have been clunkers, but when it's on, it's really ON. Abradolph Lincler still makes me chuckle.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm not remembering any clunkers. Don't spoil my memories.

Hey, Smoove how did Turkey Day Munchkin go? I saw an ad for Deck building game licensed as "Close Encounters of the Rick Kind" and I was thinking that would have been the way to go for a themed game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/221 ... -kind-deck
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I thought it was a good time. Trent hit level 9 within the first 30 minutes of the game and then spent the rest of the time getting stymied by everyone. He wasn't amused, but I sure was. RM9 pulled out a stealth win and there was lots of yelling. :D The cards are great - filled with quotes and art from the show. I'm hoping they release more, but as a beer-and-pretzels night of gaming, I think it worked for us. I also don't think we'd play it all the time, but just based on the theme it was enjoyable.

And yes, there are like 12 different Rick and Morty games - I also own Total Rickall, which is fun as a filler. I'd seen the Close Encounters game, but was waiting for reviews/impressions before I made a decision.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

nt the rest of the time getting stymied by everyone
Hours and hours of this in a six player game is why I will never go near anything Munchkin related ever again. I so wanted to play king maker that night but that's bad form so on and on and on and on and it went.
On and on
I just keep on trying
And I smile when I feel like dying
On and on
On and on
On and on
On and on
On and on
On and on
On and on
On and on
On and on
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I have yet to see any of season 3, but the purge episode has got to be my favourite, and that's all because of the power suits, Morty threatening to smear Rick's guts all over his face, only to be tazed by a bored looking Rick as he casually looks away.

Plus, the music during the rich people slaughter, followed by the dancing in pools of blood.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:24 pm I thought it was a good time. Trent hit level 9 within the first 30 minutes of the game and then spent the rest of the time getting stymied by everyone. He wasn't amused, but I sure was. RM9 pulled out a stealth win and there was lots of yelling.
It didn't help that the game was thrown by the other participant. One of the WORST BS outcomes to something we played EVER (but maybe not as bad as the Bridge Battle).

But it was fun. :D
18-1™ & 2-0
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:30 pm
Hours and hours of this in a six player game is why I will never go near anything Munchkin related ever again. I so wanted to play king maker that night but that's bad form so on and on and on and on and it went.

A couple of games like this have given me Munchkin burnout that is going on two years now.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:53 am
LordMortis wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:30 pm

A couple of games like this have given me Munchkin burnout that is going on two years now.
Amen. If golf is a good walk spoiled, Munchkin is a card-based game of 'Eeny, meeny, miny, moe' blighted by protracted punny gameplay.

May God have mercy on the souls of those who inflict it upon their supposed-friends.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Until you actually play a Plumbus card on someone, I don't think you can really say you've played Munchkin.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:17 pm I'm not remembering any clunkers. Don't spoil my memories.

Hey, Smoove how did Turkey Day Munchkin go? I saw an ad for Deck building game licensed as "Close Encounters of the Rick Kind" and I was thinking that would have been the way to go for a themed game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/221 ... -kind-deck
Well, this post just cost me $30.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I've been thinking about it, so I hope to get a review from you. :D
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:38 pm I've been thinking about it, so I hope to get a review from you. :D
They had me at deckbuilding. I'd probably play a deckbuilding game about remodeling a house.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Fretmute wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:51 pmThey had me at deckbuilding. I'd probably play a deckbuilding game about remodeling a house.
How about just decks?
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I bought the R&M deck building game but we haven't played it yet. I bought it to hold me over until Gloomhaven came out and then gloomhaven came out like a week later...

But more improtantly

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... ar-BBJt0Xz
The fast food restaurant said Thursday that it will ship 20 million packets of Szechuan sauce to all of its restaurants in the U.S.
McDonald's then reintroduced the sauce in October, but its release was clouded by chaos at stores as fans protested over a lack of supply.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No news about the next season, but there's going to be a comic book co-written by Patrick Rothfuss coming out in August - Rick and Morty vs. Dungeons & Dragons.
In this epic crossover, Morty turns to his grandfather for help in understanding the popular role-playing game after it becomes all the rage at his school. Rick, being Rick, it's not long before the entire Smith family is dragged into an epic fantasy realm. It's a premise that reminds us of Community's D&D-themed episodes, which is fitting since Rick and Morty co-creator Dan Harmon also created that series.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Speaking of R&M, did anyone catch the very odd April 1st video? It makes much more sense if you've seen the movie Walkabout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6yg4ImnYwA
No sig, must scream, etc.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

HR
Rick and Morty fans won't have to worry about renewals for quite a while. Adult Swim just handed out a 70-episode order of the cult cartoon.

Described as a "longterm deal," albeit without any announced time frame, the order is for more than double the count of episodes Rick and Morty has already produced to date.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was just coming in here to post that. Woo!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BAM!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You gotta get up preeeettttty early to beat out the ol' Issie.

Like...5am early.
Covfefe!
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

18-1™ & 2-0
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Suck suck suck my balls.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I believe it's lick lick lick.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

We’re going to need some new permutations for all these new episodes.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Luckily there are numerous ways to fondle balls.

For the record I haven't seen season 3, nor am I 100% sure about my "correction".
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:02 am Luckily there are numerous ways to fondle balls.

For the record I haven't seen season 3, nor am I 100% sure about my "correction".
At least three. The first, the sequel, and the major motion picture release

Enlarge Image
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:02 am nor am I 100% sure about my "correction".
(It's appropriate. I realized it about 2 minutes after I posted here and sent emails to local friends with the same subject line.)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:02 am
For the record I haven't seen season 3
So I rectified that situation.

Is it just me or is season 3 a lot angrier than the first 2? I don't mean Rick specifically although there is an element to him as well, but just the general tone and outlook seems to have gone from cynical, narcissistic humour to angry, cynical, narcissistic humour.

I found it a bit off putting. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot to like and some aspects of the season are the most brilliant yet, but it went from the equivalent of funny uncle making humorous, cynical observations at the dinner table to less funny uncle after a few beers, angrily muttering to himself about how the {insert racial slur here} are the reason he lost his job at the plant.

Am I imagining things? Am I alone in this?
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I found it to be a lot darker in tone, but I didn't really associate that with anger in general.

Presumably, four years from now we'll have a thread called [Adult Swim] Rick and Morty: None More Black.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It was definitely darker, but didn't they warn us of that at the end of Season 2? Or was it the end of Season 3 that warned us it was going to get even darker in Season 4?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:44 pmAm I imagining things? Am I alone in this?
I'm sure Dan Harmon's divorce was part of it, but the infamous "Pickle Rick" episode was one of the darkest, heaviest ~22 minute cartoons I've seen in a long time. Not the pickle part (of course), but the why of the pickle and the subsequent discussion with the therapist.

So no, it's no you.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It's always been very dark and angry. I don't think it really stepped out to push any new boundaries until the eye patch Morty follow up episode. There wasn't a whole lot of humor in its dark and angry for that episode.

I do think season 3 took itself a bit more serious with eye patch Morty being the pinnacle of that bit of movement and the season opener being the least of which with tones of Jerry helpless depression tainting everything. I think the dog and the employment check was the last funny depressing bit before the funny deflated in to just... sad.

The Solenya episode, I thought was pretty typical and the therapist office was absolutely great. Meeting all three of the funny, the dark and angry, and the absurd meeting deconstruction of a cartoon turning in on its own examination.
ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:37 pm It was definitely darker, but didn't they warn us of that at the end of Season 2? Or was it the end of Season 3 that warned us it was going to get even darker in Season 4?
I want to say season 3 warned us there was going to be reset but that Rick was not going be sympathetic.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:37 pm It was definitely darker, but didn't they warn us of that at the end of Season 2? Or was it the end of Season 3 that warned us it was going to get even darker in Season 4?
I'm not talking about the subject matter.

It's like they were making dead baby jokes for 2 seasons, but in season 3 you got the feeling that they really hated all those babies and were glad they were dead. ha ha!