[AMC] Better Call Saul

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Victoria Raverna

Re: [AMC] Better Call Saul

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:06 pm WTF was Jimmy/Saul smashing in that bag with a hammer?
Pottery.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:06 pm WTF was Jimmy/Saul smashing in that bag with a hammer?
The necessary clay pots for staging the faux archeological discovery on Acker's property.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Interesting way to recruit Mike. Revenge.

Kim is hating her relationship with Jimmy more and more. She knows her boss is right and she's seeing just how easy it was for her to turn to the dark side and forget her oath. She's doing stuff that could get her disbarred.

I think the show is throwing in just a bit of Howard to placate me.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kim lashing out at Rich is self destructive AF.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Now THAT was a great episode. Saul's presentation to Mesa Verde was comedy gold, had me in tears of laughter. The hookers pimping Howard was a throw away gag, but Mike laying the hurt on Lalo was pure sweetness.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

So Lalo is totally screwed, right?

I'm beginning to really hate Jimmy. Watching him destroy Howard just to do it is difficult. There is very little good left in Jimmy. Any work he does is not to help his clients, but to either make money or give him the rush of outsmarting (outsleezeballing) The Man.

I have no idea what to think of Kim. We saw in the flashback that she is strong enough to leave someone when she knows it's bad for her, but in the end she offers to marry Jimmy. Is she too afraid to leave him? Is she torn between her love for morality and her desire to be with the bad boy? What gives?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Perdition, thy name is Lalo.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My internet fall down go boom. I hope having a cloudy DVR means that it "recorded" the episode even though my TV was borked.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

They are really shoehorning Howard into the show now. Why is he always at the courthouse?

I can't remember when Lalo killed someone. What happened? And why does he want to burn down one of the restaurants? I'm missing something about the cartel.

I want to try a Luftwaffle.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

McNutt wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:11 am They are really shoehorning Howard into the show now. Why is he always at the courthouse?

I can't remember when Lalo killed someone. What happened? And why does he want to burn down one of the restaurants? I'm missing something about the cartel.

I want to try a Luftwaffle.
Lalo killed the guy at the Western Union when he (Lalo) was tracking down Mike. The restaurant burning is just griefing Gus.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

That's right!
JCC

Post by JCC »

Bob Odeknkirk was just AWESOME in this week's episode. The court scene was just awesome. You could see the real anguish in his eyes at who he was defending and how he was doing it. Then he seemed relieved at how high the bail was only to hear "no problem". Just a tremendous scene. The lashing out at Howard is just comical now. I think they may be setting the groundwork for Howard to become a problem for Jimmy that someone in the cartel will eliminate for Jimmy.

I just can't believe how great this show is. Is it the greatest spin off ever?! I can't imagine any other spin off where I think its quality is within a gnat's wing of the original. Just tremendous.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Realizing you're "friends with the cartel" is not something you want to hear. Especially when we know that Kim will soon be out of the picture (gone in Breaking Bad), so will she leave him or become friends with the fishes?

I think you're right about Howard. Jimmy has shown his true colors to Howard, so now Howard knows they are enemies and why Chuck told him not to let Jimmy into the firm. Howard might go after Jimmy legally, not knowing that he's tied to the cartel.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I loved seeing Gus, in the middle of preparations to burn down his restaurant, checking the cleanliness of the fryer.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

McNutt wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:37 pm I loved seeing Gus, in the middle of preparations to burn down his restaurant, checking the cleanliness of the fryer.
Great catch. I saw him doing that but the inspection aspect didn't hit me.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The only thing I struggle with is Kim and Jimmy’s relationship. Kim has made the decision she doesn’t want Jimmy’s life, it seems. And she doesn’t strike me as the type who would cling to a man like Jimmy. She seems strong enough to go it alone.

So why is she doing everything in her power to prolong the inevitable? That seems uncharacteristic of her.

Or am I just not seeing something?
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:39 pm The only thing I struggle with is Kim and Jimmy’s relationship. Kim has made the decision she doesn’t want Jimmy’s life, it seems. And she doesn’t strike me as the type who would cling to a man like Jimmy. She seems strong enough to go it alone.

So why is she doing everything in her power to prolong the inevitable? That seems uncharacteristic of her.

Or am I just not seeing something?
Kim doesn't want to give up her inner bad girl. If she lets Jimmy go, she surrenders to the button-down lawyer world completely. She's already 90% there. Jimmy feeds that other 10%. Plus, she just plain admires his ingenuity. That Mesa Verde video was genius.

Marriage was a stretch, though.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

But she seems to genuinely not want Jimmy’s “badness” now. At least that’s how it seems to me.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I don't get that one either. She is disgusted by what she does with him, yet she can't let go.

I love the Mesa Verde boss telling her she could do a lot better.
Anonymous Bosch

Don't forget, it was also very much a marriage of convenience, a practical matter that had more to do with protecting one another legally than making a lifelong commitment to a romantic partner. It was a calculated legal manoeuvre, mostly by Kim. In other words, while her character judgement may be (fatally?) flawed, her legal survival instincts likely kicked in along with what Kraken described.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

But why bother? That reason on her part for the marriage was the very thing that made me scratch my head and doubt the writing for a moment.
He won. Period.
Anonymous Bosch

They've both begun to play a little faster and looser lately (e.g. the borderline extortion of Mesa Verde and representation of Lalo Salamanca). And while that's mostly on Jimmy, Kim’s the one who brought him into Mesa Verde. So it likely seemed prudent for Kim to put herself into a position where she can't be forced to testify against Jimmy for all of the stuff Saul is doing, and where he can’t be forced to testify about what she knew and when.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I understand the legal reasoning behind the marriage, I just don’t understand the reasoning on Kim’s part for even doing it. Why go to those lengths to remain in a relationship she clearly knows is wrong. Especially when they’ve already demonstrated how strong she is when it comes to standing her ground with the people in her life (the scene with her mom and the car comes to mind). It just seems like they’re playing too loose with her story and turning her into the emotional girlfriend who accepts it all in the name of having a man in her life, when they’ve previously gone out of their way to show that Kim is a badass you don’t mess with.
Last edited by hepcat on Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

McNutt wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:42 pm I don't get that one either. She is disgusted by what she does with him, yet she can't let go.

I love the Mesa Verde boss telling her she could do a lot better.
I think part of her motivation was an FU to Kevin. Plus now (apparently) Jimmy will share what he is doing with her. Jimmy is definitely more than a fuck buddy to her, and maybe the marriage is doomed to failure. :violin:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

This season seems to be going in directions I don't like:
Kim is being ridiculous.
Jimmy has lost all charisma and is now a complete jerk with no redeeming qualities.
Howard shouldn't even be in the season (which hurts me to say) and is being used as a punchline.
Mike has pretty quickly accepted being a bad guy (his struggle with his conscience was great).

Honestly, that Mesa Verde commercial was something you'd see in a comedy.

I know Gilligan has a plan and he hasn't let me down yet, but I'm suddenly not all in on this show.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The Mesa Verde commercial was Chekhov's Video. Having shown the production they had to use it.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It was pretty silly, I have to agree. But Jimmy has done some silly things in the past, so it wasn’t too out of character for him.

I want Howard to totally destroy Jimmy now, but I think we all know that ain’t gonna happen. I did like the reveal (of sorts) that Jimmy has transferred all his guilt over Chuck’s death to Howard. It’s typical Jimmy. Cant take the blame so he finds a scapegoat.

And yeah, Jimmy’s full on slime ball this season. There may be short moments of humanity like the courtroom scene with Lalo, but any pretense that Jimmy is a misunderstood hero of Better Call Saul should be quickly drying up.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

El amigo del cartel! El amigo del cartel!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

So who were the guys trying to get Lalo's bail money last night? I assume they're who the guy in the "body" shop called at the beginning of the show, so what are they? Just rogue actors with cartel connections?
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Come on, Vince. Give me something.

Kim's attachment to Jimmy makes no sense. Now she's involved with the cartel? I know she told Lalo that she has confidential privileged, but she has to know that it is not going to sit with WITH THE FREAKING CARTEL.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:50 am So who were the guys trying to get Lalo's bail money last night? I assume they're who the guy in the "body" shop called at the beginning of the show, so what are they? Just rogue actors with cartel connections?
I had forgotten about those guys. Whoever the mole is in the Salamanca organization, they are going to meet a really painful end.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I haven't watched this newest episode yet so maybe I'm being obvious here but Kim has to somehow get involved with the cartel. They are going to end up killing her.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

McNutt wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:22 am
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:50 am So who were the guys trying to get Lalo's bail money last night? I assume they're who the guy in the "body" shop called at the beginning of the show, so what are they? Just rogue actors with cartel connections?
I had forgotten about those guys. Whoever the mole is in the Salamanca organization, they are going to meet a really painful end.
Well we know who one of the moles is, but I think *this* mole is the guy who made the phone call at the beginning of the episode.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

That was a powerful episode. Kudos to Kim for not taking the easy way out.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Last week's episode was slow, but it seemed to be necessary for this week's payoff.

Lalo - The dude is Sherlock Holmes. Nothing gets past him. I was also VERY impressed with the way he made that jump into the ravine. In boots. I really like his character. And seeing him watch his uncle at that birthday celebration, knowing that's hell for him, was great.

Kim - Great episode for Kim. Rhea really nailed it.

Mike - He is 100% in the game now. You want him looking after you, but that also means you're in some serious trouble.

Gus - He just might have to put Nacho down.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Yet another tremendous episode of a tremendous season from a tremendous show. This has to be the greatest TV spin-off ever.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

McNutt wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:55 pm Last week's episode was slow, but it seemed to be necessary for this week's payoff.
Exactly my thoughts. I didn’t really like last week’s episode....until I saw the payoff this week.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

If you get Lalo in your crosshairs, just say yes.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Man that was intense. I kept waiting for Kim to get shot. Lalo is so unpredictable you really don't know what to expect.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I thought that when Lalo got in the car he was going to tell Nacho to go kill Jimmy and then Mike was going to have to put him down.