SPACE - random thread about space stuff

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

jztemple2

Re: SPACE - random thread about space stuff

Post by jztemple2 »

From NASASpaceflight.com, NASA decides to redo SLS Green Run Static Fire
As expected, but now official, NASA has announced the decision to redo the Green Run Hot-Fire test of the agency’s Space Launch System (SLS) Core Stage at the Stennis Space Center in Mississippi. The Core Stage was fired for 67 seconds on January 16 in the B-2 Test Stand at Stennis before the test was ended early.

The SLS Program, Core Stage prime contractor Boeing, and RS-25 engine prime contractor Aerojet Rocketdyne are continuing to refurbish their vehicle hardware and Stennis is recycling their ground systems for a second attempt to fire the stage for a full eight minute flight duration near the end of February.

A second Hot-Fire test gives the agency a chance to conduct three special gimbaling experiments that weren’t completed in the first attempt, which would gather data on the interaction and interdependence between the four RS-25 engines and the stage’s mechanical systems.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Well, now it's officially Starship SN NEIN...

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Percy is on a roll this afternoon...

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Another successful explosion. They sure build their fireworks big...and costly.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im starting to think these are designed to launch, fly up, flip over, fall, and explode.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:08 pm Im starting to think these are designed to launch, fly up, flip over, fall, and explode.
The past two were designed to get as far as flip over, fall, recover to upright for landing, and hit the bullseye. They succeeded at that twice, so I imagine actually landing will be on tap pretty soon. Both of the RUDs happened right on the launch pad -- the second one with another Starship nearby. Pretty amazing that they can pinpoint the landing/crash site so well. (One of their objectives is to land right on the pad and be captured by the launch tower so that they can literally just refuel and re-launch.)

I read somewhere that the upcoming SNs have more heat tiles, so that's something else they want to test (which means higher-altitude launches). They're also preparing to test a couple of Super Heavy boosters. Lots of activity at Boca Chica. We could still see a Starship reach orbit this year.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fifty Years On, Alan Shepard’s Golf Ball Has Been Found On The Moon
Last month we brought you the news that dinosaurs probably beat us to the Moon. This month, golf balls have been found up there, which isn't quite as exciting but bear with us.

Fifty years ago, on February 5, 1971, Apollo 14 touched down on the Moon. As well as equipment for attempting to determine the internal structure of our satellite, and to measure the composition of the lunar atmosphere, the astronauts took with them a six-iron golf club head and some golf balls.
"We can now fairly accurately determine that ball number one travelled 24 yards [22 meters]," Saunders wrote for the US Golfer's Association (USGA), "and ball number two travelled 40 yards [36 meters]."
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Holman

Post by Holman »

Something that irks me about that article:
The spacecraft, launched in July around the same time as a rival US mission, is expected to enter Mars orbit around February 10.
Parallel scientific endeavors are not "rivals." One doesn't succeed at the expense of the other. Ideally, each adds to our common store of knowledge.

Framing it this way is a relic of the Cold War, when space science was treated as a race for status and an adjunct to military technology. This is not that.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Holman wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:43 pm Something that irks me about that article:
The spacecraft, launched in July around the same time as a rival US mission, is expected to enter Mars orbit around February 10.
Parallel scientific endeavors are not "rivals." One doesn't succeed at the expense of the other. Ideally, each adds to our common store of knowledge.

Framing it this way is a relic of the Cold War, when space science was treated as a race for status and an adjunct to military technology. This is not that.
Then you might not like this article either: How Mars became the prize for the new space race – and why China is hellbent on winning it
Different countries have different development models when it comes to space, so the new space race is partly a competition for having the best approach. This reflects the specific character of the so-called Space Age 2.0, which, compared to the first one, looks more diverse, and where non-US actors, public and private, feature prominently, especially Asian ones. If China leads the pack, so does its vision.

But there are bigger things at stake. The development effort behind China’s space sector is still largely government funded and military led. According to the US-China Economic and Security Review Commission, a congressional commission of the US government, China considers space as a “tool of geopolitical and diplomatic competition”. It is clear that, together with cyberspace, the cosmos has become a fundamental new warfighting domain, where the US are the main – but not the only – adversary. That means commercial considerations come second for many countries, even though they have become increasingly important in the overall scheme of things.

China has already enacted five-year plans for its space activities, the latest of which ended in 2020 with more 140 launches. More missions are planned: a new orbital space station, the retrieval of martian samples and a Jupiter exploratory mission among them.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

If framing it as a race whips up public interest and loosens the purse strings, what's the harm? It's not like the US and China are going to cooperate in space any time soon anyway. As much as I'd rather not see nationalism projected into the solar system, that will happen as long as it continues to rage on Earth.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Going from landing a rover on Mars to doing a Mars sample return mission in less than 10 years?

I don't consider us in a space race but China appears to be going from 0 to 60 in the coming decade.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:41 pmTim Curry
I could honestly watch that man do anything, all day long. I can't recall a single role I didn't enjoy. My favorite, though, was his take on The Lord of Darkness in Legend with Tom Cruise.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Geebus. For a moment there I thought I was in the RIP thread. Frak. I know Tim is in bad shape so ugh.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Paingod wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:16 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:41 pmTim Curry
I could honestly watch that man do anything, all day long. I can't recall a single role I didn't enjoy. My favorite, though, was his take on The Lord of Darkness in Legend with Tom Cruise.
I remember the story arc from the TV show Wiseguy where Vinnie (in his undercover role) was the owner of Dead Dog records and Curry was corrupt music mogul Winston Newquay trying to buy him out. Only six episodes, but classic with an amazing bunch of stars; Patti D'Arbanville, Mick Fleetwood, Glenn Frey, Deidre Hall, Debbie Harry and Paul Winfield.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Awesome.

Anyone here ordering At Starlink now that they opened the beta up? I figure we are not typically bandwidth-starved individuals, but you never know. (To keep it on topic: more Starlink sats going up tonight.)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Farout? Now it's Farfarout!
What astronomers believed to be the most distant object in the Solar System, “Farout,” has lost its title after just two years. That crown now goes to “Farfarout” (zero points for creativity, you guys), a planetoid that is more than 130 times farther from the Sun than Earth is.

As spotted by Inverse, after years of observations, astronomers have confirmed that the planetoid designated by the Minor Planet Center as 2018 AG37, nicknamed Farfarout, is the farthest known Solar System object at 132 astronomical units away from the Sun.

A single AU is the average distance from the Earth to the Sun, aka about 92 million miles or 148 million kilometers. (For reference, the previous titleholder Farout, officially designated 2018 VG18, is “just” 120 AU away.) That means Farfarout is roughly 12.3 billion miles or 19.7 billion kilometers away, or for context, about four times farther away from the Sun than Pluto. At that distance, the planetoid completes a single orbit around the Sun just once in a millennium.
If it's an ice world, it's somewhere around 250 miles in diameter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Plot twist! Its actually larger than all planets combined its just so far away it looks small.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The SpaceX launch was successful, but they missed the landing :cry:. At least one good thing, there were three seagulls walking around on the landing pad who must have tagged along on the drone ship. With no landing the gulls can enjoy their evening, at least till the anticipated storms roll through :shock:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

NASA, Perseverance ready for daring entry, descent, and landing at Jezero Crater, Mars
The day is here. After years of hard work and labor, NASA has completed all possible steps and sequencing for the most complex landing ever attempted on another planet. It is now up to the technology built and cared for over years by engineers and technicians on Earth to work exactly as planned.

If all goes well, Perseverance will safely touchdown at Jezero Crater at an actual time on Earth of 15:43:42 EST (20:43:42 UTC) — with confirmation of landing received 11 minutes 22 seconds later through the Madrid, Spain facility of the Deep Space Network at 15:55:04 EST (20:55:04 UTC).

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Oh, and How to pronounce 'Jezero crater.' (Yes, you may be doing it wrong.)
To pronounce "Jezero" correctly, think of the letter "J" as sounding more like the letter "Y."

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those who might be interested, the Kindle version of The Search for Life on Mars: The Greatest Scientific Detective Story of All Time is on sale today for $1.99.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sold.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have a Mars 3D picture book I got at B&N maybe 11 years ago. Came with 3D glasses and all. It has really good 3d to the pics too.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

OK THAT is some hilarious shit.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:02 pm OK THAT is some hilarious shit.
Sorry, I don't get the reference :roll:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its Ted Cruz if that helps.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:06 pm Its Ted Cruz if that helps.
Oh, yes, now I get the reference. It just didn't look like Cancún, that's all :wink:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Hover text:
If the first audio they downlink is from the descent, we probably won't be able to hear anything over the sound of the rover screaming.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Pretty cool stuff. This photo of Perseverance was taken from the decent stage just a few meters above the ground.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

So shiny and new!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm pretty sure we voided the warranty.
Holman

Post by Holman »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:22 pm Pretty cool stuff. This photo of Perseverance was taken from the decent stage just a few meters above the ground.

Parallel parking is hard.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its wheels are more crooked than a modder's VW.

Its wheels are crookeder than a politician's spine.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

cnet
In new research, published in the journal Nature Astronomy on Monday, scientists detail the detection of a subatomic particle -- known as a neutrino -- at the IceCube Neutrino Observatory in Antarctica. Using data from the Zwicky Transient Facility at California's Palomar Observatory, researchers were able to trace the origins of the subatomic bullet back to an extreme event some 700 million years ago: the cataclysmic destruction of a star as it was shredded by a black hole.

It's the first time such an event has been linked to a neutrino detection.