SPACE - random thread about space stuff

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Re: SPACE - random thread about space stuff

Post by Holman »

Do "Apollo truthers" believe that all the moon landings were faked, or just the first?

How do they feel about all the landers and orbiters and space probes sent by NASA and other space agencies to various planets? All faked?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Ugh, Not this shit. It is utter stupidity all the way down. IIRC someone years ago pretty much proved almost all the moon conspiracy theories essentially began as grifts playing on people's credulity. It also follows that these grifts played on general trends that followed public loss of faith in government during the Vietnam War era that started the spiral into the stuff we talk about in P&R.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Holman wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:23 pm Do "Apollo truthers" believe that all the moon landings were faked, or just the first?

How do they feel about all the landers and orbiters and space probes sent by NASA and other space agencies to various planets? All faked?
I can't speak for Apollo "truthers" but this guy apparently thinks that all the manned flights were faked, not the probes. He points out that NASA created a "no fly zone" around the alleged Apollo landing sites, so that they could not be explored by subsequent probes. That seems a bit fishy.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
raydude

Post by raydude »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:20 pm Here is the best, most comprehensive documentary I have seen on evidence that the moon landings were faked. It's 3 hours long, but trashes all the debunking arguments, including Mythbusters. Feel free to dismiss out of hand, but if you actually watch it you might find that difficult to do. Also find it interesting that YouTube made it difficult to find even though they are awash with flat earth garbage. :ninja:

I don't see it as comprehensive at all. It takes astronaut's quotes out of context, ignores other recent explorations of the Van Allen radiation belts, and completely ignores the behavior of particles in an airless environment. Comparing the behavior of dust on the moon to dust on Mars is completely wrong given one has an atmostphere (however thin) and the other does not.
raydude

Post by raydude »

malchior wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:48 pm Ugh, Not this shit. It is utter stupidity all the way down. IIRC someone years ago pretty much proved almost all the moon conspiracy theories essentially began as grifts playing on people's credulity. It also follows that these grifts played on general trends that followed public loss of faith in government during the Vietnam War era that started the spiral into the stuff we talk about in P&R.
Personally, I also feel some of it is people trying to take the easy way out in making themselves appear smarter. After all, who can resist the lure of being smarter than the average person in "figuring out" the biggest hoax in history without having to invest the time and effort into understanding aerospace engineering or space physics?
malchior

Post by malchior »

raydude wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:05 pm
malchior wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:48 pm Ugh, Not this shit. It is utter stupidity all the way down. IIRC someone years ago pretty much proved almost all the moon conspiracy theories essentially began as grifts playing on people's credulity. It also follows that these grifts played on general trends that followed public loss of faith in government during the Vietnam War era that started the spiral into the stuff we talk about in P&R.
Personally, I also feel some of it is people trying to take the easy way out in making themselves appear smarter. After all, who can resist the lure of being smarter than the average person in "figuring out" the biggest hoax in history without having to invest the time and effort into understanding aerospace engineering or space physics?
Yep - that makes sense. Another factor is that Americans have well-documented penchants for fantasy thinking and this could easily be the ultimate one.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'd like to watch the whole thing, but 3.5 hours is a heavy lift. I'm currently 25 minutes in and might come back to it later tonight, but it's going to be in half-hour chunks.

Potentially save me some time: Do they address the single biggest objection -- namely, the large number of scientists and engineers whose complicity would have been required?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Not to mention the complicity of the Soviets.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kraken wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:15 pm I'd like to watch the whole thing, but 3.5 hours is a heavy lift. I'm currently 25 minutes in and might come back to it later tonight, but it's going to be in half-hour chunks.

Potentially save me some time: Do they address the single biggest objection -- namely, the large number of scientists and engineers whose complicity would have been required?
Yes, and I have heard this before. The gist is there were thousands working independently, and only a few at the top needed to be complicit.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kraken wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:15 pm I'd like to watch the whole thing, but 3.5 hours is a heavy lift. I'm currently 25 minutes in and might come back to it later tonight, but it's going to be in half-hour chunks.

Another I wonder about is the fact that Soviets were monitoring the whole thing and crashed Luna 15 trying to outrace NASA returning with lunar rocks. They decided to go along with the fake landing after that failed?
Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:31 pm Not to mention the complicity of the Soviets.
Doh - got bammed. Snuck it in there!
Last edited by malchior on Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:34 pm

Yes, and I have heard this before. The gist is there were thousands working independently, and only a few at the top needed to be complicit.
That's a explanation that is pretty handwavy and makes absolutely no sense. There were people all over the world running the communication and tracking networks including people in foreign governments. Also, there were independent astronomers who were listening live to the mission communications (and recorded them). It's one thing to fake a presentation. It's another to fake a signal moving in a lunar orbit. Beyond the required conspiracy network depth it is one of the biggest weaknesses.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This related video dropped a few days ago.

I suppose the high-resolution images of the landing site from the LRO are fake, too.

stessier

Post by stessier »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:20 pm Here is the best, most comprehensive documentary I have seen on evidence that the moon landings were faked. It's 3 hours long, but trashes all the debunking arguments, including Mythbusters. Feel free to dismiss out of hand, but if you actually watch it you might find that difficult to do. Also find it interesting that YouTube made it difficult to find even though they are awash with flat earth garbage. :ninja:
Is your position that the landings were faked?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:20 pm It... trashes all the debunking arguments
Jaymann's opinion seems clear to me.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Holman wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:23 pm Do "Apollo truthers" believe that all the moon landings were faked, or just the first?

This came up on Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me this week and the guest's response was a quote from Charlie Duke: "We’ve been to the moon nine times. If we faked it, why did we fake it nine times?"
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

stessier wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:07 am
My position was summed up by Collins:

"I don't remember seeing any stars."
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I don't remember going to a tattoo parlour, but that doesn't mean I don't have ink of Dolly Parton comprised of literal melons on my left shin.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:52 am

What is that even supposed to mean, conspiracy-wise? Did they supposedly trick Collins into thinking he was orbiting the moon when he wasn't? (But they forget to add stars outside?)

I'll take the offer and dismiss the video out of hand.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sudy wrote:I don't remember going to a tattoo parlour, but that doesn't mean I don't have ink of Dolly Parton comprised of literal melons on my left shin.
I’ve never seen a Love Butt this far South.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Holman wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:17 pm

What is that even supposed to mean, conspiracy-wise? Did they supposedly trick Collins into thinking he was orbiting the moon when he wasn't? (But they forget to add stars outside?)

Wish choice.

First 30 minutes is talking about the people and why they would have wanted to fake it, using future results (things that happened in the 80-2000s) as evidence for people's motivations in the 60s.

Second 30 minutes is dismissing all the evidence that points to the landings being real because it is possible to fake it.

Next 30 minutes is going to be about their evidence.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Let me get this straight. These 3 astronauts have presumably returned from the greatest mission in the history of mankind and are asked a simple question about what the stars looked like. They start glancing at each other in confusion (you might think they weren't prepped for this question). Collins, who was allegedly in the lunar orbiter with nothing better to do, cannot remember whether he saw any stars. Possibly the single lamest response in history. Why didn't he just say, "Oh they were wonderful."

You could interpret this that since Armstrong and Aldrin said they couldn't see any stars, he didn't know what he was supposed to say, so he equivocated. He can't use the excuse that he was on the sunny side of the moon, because he was allegedly in orbit.

Bezos only went up about seven times as high as a 747. Ask him if he saw any stars.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:14 pm

Let me get this straight. These 3 astronauts have presumably returned from the greatest mission in the history of mankind and are asked a simple question about what the stars looked like. They start glancing at each other in confusion (you might think they weren't prepped for this question). Collins, who was allegedly in the lunar orbiter with nothing better to do, cannot remember whether he saw any stars. Possibly the single lamest response in history. Why didn't he just say, "Oh they were wonderful."

You could interpret this that since Armstrong and Aldrin said they couldn't see any stars, he didn't know what he was supposed to say, so he equivocated. He can't use the excuse that he was on the sunny side of the moon, because he was allegedly in orbit.

Bezos only went up about seven times as high as a 747. Ask him if he saw any stars.
That's not what he said. He said he didn't see any on the daylight side of the moon or the solar corona without using optics.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

This actual news was lost in all the conspiracy theory drivel, so here's more on it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

stessier wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:52 pm
That's not what he said. He said he didn't see any on the daylight side of the moon or the solar corona without using optics.
Yep. To interpret the astronauts' responses there as the smoking gun that was all a fake is just complete absurdity.

But to embrace it, the theory would have to be that the conspiracy did not include the astronauts themselves. They were given an experience that seamlessly simulated three days of weightlessness and a complete sense of orbiting/landing on the moon, but NASA forgot to paint stars on the backcloth.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I went back and checked. You are quoting Armstrong. Right after that Collins said, "I don't remember seeing anything."
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The landings were real.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:43 pm

I went back and checked. You are quoting Armstrong. Right after that Collins said, "I don't remember seeing anything."
Exactly. Follow the conversation.

Did you see stars and the solar corona without optics? What was it like on the surface?

The surface was a few inches thick. We were on the daylight side, there were no stars.
Yeah, we didn't see any stars.
Collins: I don't remember seeing any.

He clearly was talking about seeing anything in the daylight which was how the question was asked.
Last edited by stessier on Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:43 pm
He's saying it to confirm what Armstrong just said.

There's no sense at all that he means "Hold on, where in hell were the stars??"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

This is a thing that we're doing, eh?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:50 pm This is a thing that we're doing, eh?
It was this or the football thing. I found this more important. :)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:18 pm
This actual news was lost in all the conspiracy theory drivel, so here's more on it.
That Ars Technica article was very good, thanks for posting it. If I were Bill Nelson I'd take up Bezos' offer, a little competition is a good thing to tighten up the designs.

On the other thing, I don't need to watch for three hours to know that it's crap.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
raydude

Post by raydude »

Kraken wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:03 pm I suppose the high-resolution images of the landing site from the LRO are fake, too.

I know the scientist who is the PI of the LRO camera and several scientists who worked with the LRO imagery. Also, I have some experience with putting together images from downlinked telemetry. To suggest that any of them are part of a conspiracy to put fake Apollo features into LROC images or that one could even sneak that within a data pipeline somehow with no one knowing is ludicrous and beyond belief.
Holman

Post by Holman »

raydude wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:08 pm I know the scientist who is the PI of the LRO camera and several scientists who worked with the LRO imagery. Also, I have some experience with putting together images from downlinked telemetry. To suggest that any of them are part of a conspiracy to put fake Apollo features into LROC images or that one could even sneak that within a data pipeline somehow with no one knowing is ludicrous and beyond belief.
Are you trying to tell me that's a picture of the moon? It's not even round!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont see the cheese.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This strikes me as a win for NASA, a win for Bezos, and a win for competition. As much as I want to reflexively hate on the billionaire, I don't see a downside to accepting his offer. Redundant landing systems will be good to have, especially if SpaceX can't turn Starship into Moonship* before Artemis 3 is ready. While Moonship is more capable and will probably prove to be more economical, Blue Origin's Apollo-style lander is going to be easier to develop quickly.

*my name for it
raydude

Post by raydude »

Kraken wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:06 pm
This strikes me as a win for NASA, a win for Bezos, and a win for competition. As much as I want to reflexively hate on the billionaire, I don't see a downside to accepting his offer. Redundant landing systems will be good to have, especially if SpaceX can't turn Starship into Moonship* before Artemis 3 is ready. While Moonship is more capable and will probably prove to be more economical, Blue Origin's Apollo-style lander is going to be easier to develop quickly.

*my name for it
I don't see it as a win if NASA has to redo the initial competition - that delays the Artemis program. Not to mention it sets a bad precedent - just because you lose the initial competition all it takes is for the loser to say they will self-invest more money and they get to recompete? No thanks. I am all for a follow-on competition for the landers.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I don't think redoing the competition is a realistic outcome, from the scuttlebutt I've seen on Twitter from folks in the know like Garver and Berger. Follow-on is much more likely.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yeah, I just assumed it will be a follow-on. If Bezos wants NASA to undo the SpaceX contract, that should be a hard no.