Tea & Kombucha

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hitbyambulance

Tea & Kombucha

Post by hitbyambulance »

em2nought wrote:I can't make good iced tea, wish there was as much interest in making a good cup of tea. lol
this is relevant to my interests. what kind?

my rough guidelines:

Black - 208-212F, 3-5 minutes
Darjeeling - 180-190F, 3-4 minutes
White - 165-175, 3-6 minutes (lowest temps of all, for sure. i think Yellow is about the same, for the cooler end of the scale)
Pu'erh - 208-212F, 3-6 minutes
Herbal (tisane) - 208-212F, 5-forever minutes

Green and Oolong are highly variable depending on type and serving style.

Green - 175-180F, 1-3 minutes - but some are only 45 seconds! the temperature range is huge... sencha tends to use 160F water, genmaicha can use boiling. you need to experiment with each tea, and it _will_ turn out bad if you go too hot and/or too long - very sensitive. Green, White and Yellow are easy to screw up, so take care.

Oolong - with Dong Ding, i do 1 minute at 180-190F for the first brewing, 40 seconds for the second and third brewings, and add 10-20 seconds for each brewing after that. i also have this Taiwanese High Mountain type that goes for 3 minutes for each brewing, same water temperature. some people say you can use boiling water on high-quality oolong - i don't doubt them, but i've never been satisfied with the results... probably only with the more roasted or oxidized kinds. definitely not to be tried on the likes of, say, Tie Guan Yin.
Last edited by hitbyambulance on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Re: Tea

Post by Isgrimnur »

10 cups of water run through the coffee maker over 2 family-sized teabags from Luzianne (orange pekoe and pekoe cut black tea), poured over 1/2 cup of sugar.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

This guy liked black tea, ALOT!

http://time.com/3768205/iced-tea-habit-kidney-failure/
Isgrimnur wrote:10 cups of water run through the coffee maker over 2 family-sized teabags from Luzianne (orange pekoe and pekoe cut black tea), poured over 1/2 cup of sugar.
I like what we in the south call "SWEET tea", put 1 1/2 cups of sugar in mine, when I
make it in coffee maker.
mori

Post by mori »

Never put much effort into tea making. I just go with the Twining's Irish Breakfast or English Black Tea on my English Premier League mornings and follow the instructions on the box. Boiling water and steep for 3-5 minutes.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

We have never mastered the art of tea making, because we are too lazy and never really follow directions as far as how much water, how long to steep, etc. Which is a shame because I love iced tea.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

hentzau wrote:We have never mastered the art of tea making, because we are too lazy and never really follow directions as far as how much water, how long to steep, etc. Which is a shame because I love iced tea.
black tea is seriously brain-dead easy to make; you just have to be mindful of the time or it gets bitter. set a timer for three mins, then remove the bag. the flavor is sooooo much better.

my dad makes green tea by putting a bag in a mug of water, then microwaving it until it boils, then complains about the bitterness... who knows if he even removes the bag. i was appalled to hear that!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Iced tea I'm not picky about, so long as it isn't sweetened. Hot tea I love. I don't take the water's temperature, but I find that just below the boiling point (so probably right around 200 degrees) works for most teas, and I know just how to microwave my water to hit that temperature. I tend to brew them strong, too. My regulars are Twinings Irish Breakfast, Twinings Darjeeling, and Twinings Earl Grey (my favorite), although I've been learning to appreciate Lady Grey lately, too. Yes, I am a fan of Twinings.

I have to buy bottled distilled water for tea, because the water around here is too hard for tea (the drinking water hardness scale goes from soft at 0 -1, very hard at 10.5 - and we are in the 18-20 range here.) Tea made in local water forms an oily film and tastes awful. When you brew tea with it, the same solids that form 'scale' deposits on fixtures bind with the tannins in the tea and create an oily surface that stinks, stains cups, and makes it taste awful. It actually looks like there is an oil slick in the cup.

I used to drink mostly green tea, but I can no longer drink my old brand (Stash), and haven't had the money to experiment to find something that tastes different, yet is affordable.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: I used to drink mostly green tea, but I can no longer drink my old brand (Stash), and haven't had the money to experiment to find something that tastes different, yet is affordable.
try Yamamotoyama or Tenren.

if you have Costco access, the Ito En sencha/matcha blend they carry is *really good for the price.

local Asian markets will tend to carry good stuff for cheap.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

No Costco, but the next town over does have an Asian market. I drank my Stash tea through chemo, and find it almost instantly nauseating now. If I want to go back to green tea, I will need something with a different flavor.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote:No Costco, but the next town over does have an Asian market. I drank my Stash tea through chemo, and find it almost instantly nauseating now. If I want to go back to green tea, I will need something with a different flavor.
yeah, the ones i listed above will do ya. you'll find the imported stuff does have a different quality than most of the domestic brands.
mori

Post by mori »

Blackhawk wrote:Iced tea I'm not picky about, so long as it isn't sweetened. Hot tea I love. I don't take the water's temperature, but I find that just below the boiling point (so probably right around 200 degrees) works for most teas, and I know just how to microwave my water to hit that temperature. I tend to brew them strong, too. My regulars are Twinings Irish Breakfast, Twinings Darjeeling, and Twinings Earl Grey (my favorite), although I've been learning to appreciate Lady Grey lately, too. Yes, I am a fan of Twinings.

I have to buy bottled distilled water for tea, because the water around here is too hard for tea (the drinking water hardness scale goes from soft at 0 -1, very hard at 10.5 - and we are in the 18-20 range here.) Tea made in local water forms an oily film and tastes awful. When you brew tea with it, the same solids that form 'scale' deposits on fixtures bind with the tannins in the tea and create an oily surface that stinks, stains cups, and makes it taste awful. It actually looks like there is an oil slick in the cup.

I used to drink mostly green tea, but I can no longer drink my old brand (Stash), and haven't had the money to experiment to find something that tastes different, yet is affordable.
We had similar tea similarities until you got to Earl Grey. Cannot stand the stuff.

Interesting that you find your water inhospitable to tea as most English water is also quite hard. I personally do not dislike the oil slick on the surface of my tea.
Hamsterball_Z

Post by Hamsterball_Z »

I cold brew my iced tea. I get gallon-size Lipton bags (use whatever you prefer of course) put it in a pitcher of cold water and stick it in the refrigerator overnight. It's ready to go in the morning and already cold.

I've done this method with loose tea using these nut milk bags as giant tea bags. The good thing about cold brewing is that the tea doesn't get bitter.
(HBZ)
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hitbyambulance wrote:
em2nought wrote:I can't make good iced tea, wish there was as much interest in making a good cup of tea. lol
I'd like to be able to make a pitcher of iced tea that tastes like the hot tea served in pastry shops in Scotland. I'm sure that's not of much help. lol It sounds like I need to pay more attention to temperature. Usually I just boil the water and twirl my teabags around in it while it's boiling then turn the heat off, and leave the bags in the covered pot for too many hours apparently.

I don't seem to get great taste from cold brew either.

...and maybe it's my choice of teabags as I just use the cheap Tetley, Lipton, or Luzianne.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I was cleaning out my condo today and found the pot and one leftover tea blossom from this:

http://www.amazon.com/Numi-Organic-Flow ... B000FFIL92

Got it as a gift years ago, completely forgot I had it, but I remember that it was really cool...and tasted pretty good. Now that I found the pot, I might have to buy more teas.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

em2nought wrote:
hitbyambulance wrote:
I'd like to be able to make a pitcher of iced tea that tastes like the hot tea served in pastry shops in Scotland. I'm sure that's not of much help. lol It sounds like I need to pay more attention to temperature. Usually I just boil the water and twirl my teabags around in it while it's boiling then turn the heat off, and leave the bags in the covered pot for too many hours apparently.
try pouring the just boiled water in a separate pot (off the stove), add the tea bags for three minutes, remove. put the pot in the refrigerator after it's cooled down (so it doesn't crack in the fridge from the temperature extremes.) that will help...

...and maybe it's my choice of teabags as I just use the cheap Tetley, Lipton, or Luzianne.
the quality difference between Lipton and even a cheapie UK import black (like PG Tips) is pretty huge. try something from the likes of Fortnum & Mason and be prepared to be astounded. i credit my SO for turning me on to this.

even comparing the Lipton packaged for the US versus the UK Lipton - they probably use the leftover dust sweepings from the factory floor for the American market (or at least the product not fit for consumption anywhere else in the world.)
tgb

Post by tgb »

I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hitbyambulance wrote:
em2nought wrote:
hitbyambulance wrote:
try pouring the just boiled water in a separate pot (off the stove), add the tea bags for three minutes, remove. put the pot in the refrigerator after it's cooled down (so it doesn't crack in the fridge from the temperature extremes.) that will help...

the quality difference between Lipton and even a cheapie UK import black (like PG Tips) is pretty huge. try something from the likes of Fortnum & Mason and be prepared to be astounded. i credit my SO for turning me on to this.

even comparing the Lipton packaged for the US versus the UK Lipton - they probably use the leftover dust sweepings from the factory floor for the American market (or at least the product not fit for consumption anywhere else in the world.)
Thanks, I'll definitely try some proper English tea along with the off the stove pot and timing my steeping.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

as for proper quantity - i believe the trad. British way is 'one tsp per person + one for the pot'. always increase the quantity of tea leaves (not the tea steeping time) if more intense flavor is desired.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

hentzau wrote:We have never mastered the art of tea making, because we are too lazy and never really follow directions as far as how much water, how long to steep, etc. Which is a shame because I love iced tea.
Easy peasy. Mr. Coffee makes a Mr. Tea (or something like that). Makes brewing tea a piece of cake, I love my machine!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Grifman wrote:Mr. Tea

Mr. Coffee iced tea makers
tgb

Post by tgb »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Grifman wrote:Mr. Tea
FIFY
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

FTFFY
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

We used to have one of those. I should get another one.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sadly, there is no video of Guido Sarducci's Mr Tea commercial and that was the best picture I could find. I am disappointed in you, Internet.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hitbyambulance wrote:
em2nought wrote:
hitbyambulance wrote:

I found PG Tips at Target. Wow, it's a vast improvement over Tetley, Lipton or Luzianne. Thanks!
mori

Post by mori »

em2nought wrote:
hitbyambulance wrote:
em2nought wrote:
hitbyambulance wrote:

I found PG Tips at Target. Wow, it's a vast improvement over Tetley, Lipton or Luzianne. Thanks!
Thanks for the lead. I will have to look for them next time I am in Target.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

if anyone needs a recommendation for good oolong that's reasonably priced, try Ten Ren's Tung Ting. i have a friend living in Taiwan who brings this stuff back as a birthday present for me every year. one serving of oolong leaves can be rebrewed several times, so i have about four to five cups of it on weekend days with bagels and creamcheese. great stuff. be sure to brew with proper time and water temperature!

when i don't have any left, i'll go to a local tea seller and buy their Tung Ting. the seller goes to Taiwan once or twice a year to restock. it's good. i go through it slowly enough that the higher price is less of a concern.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I got myself a box of lapsang souchong for Christmas. What a fantastic tea! I've never had anything quite like it.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Blackhawk wrote:I got myself a box of lapsang souchong for Christmas. What a fantastic tea! I've never had anything quite like it.
I got some SUPER smoky lapsang last time I bought it and I'm not sure if I like it or not. I should try blending it into other teas...
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I don't always drink tea, but when I do, it's the Long Island variety.
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Jeff V wrote:I don't always drink tea, but when I do, it's the Long Island variety.
Because they don't serve regular tea in strip clubs? :ninja:

Still really enjoying this PG Tips tea. Thanks very much for the heads up! Moved from sugar to Walmart brand Splenda, but it's just ok. What's the best diet sweetener for tea? :?:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Up until a decade or so ago when they quit marketing it my favorite tea was Lipton Sun Tea. It was so tasty and no bitterness to it at all. Slip a few bags into a large glass container and let sit out in the sun for a few hours. Then sweeten. SO delicious. Now days Im lazy and use cold brew Lipton. Toss 2 bags into a gallon of water and sit in the fridge. Its pretty good but not near sun tea good.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Since I was a kid I've been drinking iced tea as a main stay. Since I got out of the house I used whatever is cheapest. I use 5-6 bags per gallon. In the winter I go thru a gallon in two days. In the summer it's not unusual to go thru a gallon of tea a day. That makes the number of teabags and gallons a huge number like the distance in miles between us and the next nearest star I think.
Tea is the next cheapest thing to drink next to tap water.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

em2nought wrote:
Jeff V wrote:I don't always drink tea, but when I do, it's the Long Island variety.
Because they don't serve regular tea in strip clubs? :ninja:
I wouldn't know. It's been 6 years since I've last been. Most served coffee.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Z-Corn wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:I got myself a box of lapsang souchong for Christmas. What a fantastic tea! I've never had anything quite like it.
I got some SUPER smoky lapsang last time I bought it and I'm not sure if I like it or not. I should try blending it into other teas...
lapsang souchong is fantastic for winter hiking. i don't quite get into it otherwise.

i went to a discount asian grocery store in Little Saigon (Seattle) recently and they had 5 lb bags of looseleaf green and oolong tea for $7.99. i wonder how many years it would take for me to get through one of those... i settled for 100 teabags of (supposedly decaffeinated) 'Sprouting' brand Jasmine for $2.99. this stuff is exactly what you get in some of the fine americhinese establishments (usually the ones with the Chinese zodiac place mat under the table glass). it's not fantastic by any means, but it's ok enough - i just needed something to drink at nighttime that wasn't blah herbal tisane.
mori

Post by mori »

I like the PG Tips tea as well but I cannot tell much of a difference between that and Twinings.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I just ordered a box of Yorkshire Gold from Taylors of Harrogate. I've never tried it, but it reviewed really, really well.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Blackhawk wrote:FTFFY

We used to make Sun Ice Tea growing up, the I part of we never cared for it. I turned to coffee at an early age and I don't care for iced coffee either. I also don't know what the sun is supposed to add to the tea flavor.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LordMortis wrote: I also don't know what the sun is supposed to add to the tea flavor.
Bacteria.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Snopes
Alcaligenes viscolactis, a bacteria commonly found in water, consequently turns up in sun tea. While the caffeine in black tea will help prevent that microbe from flourishing for a few hours, its effects won't last beyond that. Herbal teas are an even worse bet for brewing in sunlight because they tend to lack caffeine, which means even that barrier to Alcaligenes viscolactis turning your summertime drink into its own breeding ground is missing.