Suicide Squad Official Trailer

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

El Guapo

Re: Suicide Squad Official Trailer

Post by El Guapo »

Blackhawk wrote:The word on the DC street is that roughly the following occurred:

1. They shot BvS and expected great things.
2. They shot most of Suicide Squad.
3. BvS was released and panned. They got nervous, Snyder got sidelined.
4. They released the Suicide Squad trailers and everyone got all exciteded.
5. Someone told them that nearly every comic, light-hearted moment in the movie was in the trailers, and the film was nothing like that. It was shot in the era before Snyder was brushed off.
6. They brought in the company that cut the trailers to reshoot millions worth of stuff to make the (finished) film match the trailers.
7. They showed both versions (the director's original intent and the funny re-shoot, re-cut) to test audiences to see which one to go with.
8. They compromised with a new cut that is a bastardized mix of the two.

And audiences ended up confused. I know very little about making movies, but even to me the above sounds like an insane way to go about it.

The real hope is for the films actually made AFTER the BvS kerphluffle, starting with Justice League.
Everything I have read in connection with the DC universe movies indicates that the fundamental problem is with the people in charge at the studio. The one that most stands out to me is how they evidently added Batman to Batman vs. Superman *two days before announcing the movie*. The right people are not in charge, and so I really don't think we'll get great DC movies for awhile, if ever.

The Wonder Woman trailer looks sweet, though.
Black Lives Matter.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

El Guapo wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:The word on the DC street is that roughly the following occurred:

1. They shot BvS and expected great things.
2. They shot most of Suicide Squad.
3. BvS was released and panned. They got nervous, Snyder got sidelined.
4. They released the Suicide Squad trailers and everyone got all exciteded.
5. Someone told them that nearly every comic, light-hearted moment in the movie was in the trailers, and the film was nothing like that. It was shot in the era before Snyder was brushed off.
6. They brought in the company that cut the trailers to reshoot millions worth of stuff to make the (finished) film match the trailers.
7. They showed both versions (the director's original intent and the funny re-shoot, re-cut) to test audiences to see which one to go with.
8. They compromised with a new cut that is a bastardized mix of the two.

And audiences ended up confused. I know very little about making movies, but even to me the above sounds like an insane way to go about it.

The real hope is for the films actually made AFTER the BvS kerphluffle, starting with Justice League.
Everything I have read in connection with the DC universe movies indicates that the fundamental problem is with the people in charge at the studio. The one that most stands out to me is how they evidently added Batman to Batman vs. Superman *two days before announcing the movie*. The right people are not in charge, and so I really don't think we'll get great DC movies for awhile, if ever.

The Wonder Woman trailer looks sweet, though.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... ertainment

This is a good sign - Geoff Johns knows comics and knows DC. Will it turn things around? No guarantee, but there's some hope.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isn't he the Green Lantern?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Malificent wrote: http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... ertainment

This is a good sign - Geoff Johns knows comics and knows DC. Will it turn things around? No guarantee, but there's some hope.
Yeah, that's actually really good news.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Isgrimnur wrote:Isn't he the Green Lantern?
Martian Manhunter's younger brother.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Suicide Squad Official Trailer

Post by Isgrimnur »

My mistake. I forgot that Green Lantern hosted The Daily Show.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Isgrimnur wrote:My mistake. I forgot that Green Lantern hosted The Daily Show.
I thought Green Lantern was Deadpool's secret identity.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

DD* wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:My mistake. I forgot that Green Lantern hosted The Daily Show.
I thought Green Lantern was Deadpool's secret identity.
It was but he didn't like the animated suit, so he gave it up.
FTE
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Saw the movie today. I haven't looked at the reviews so I don't know why they are all so bad. I liked it. Of course I also kinda liked Batman vs Superman. Suicide Squad is better.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

coopasonic wrote:Saw the movie today. I haven't looked at the reviews so I don't know why they are all so bad. I liked it. Of course I also kinda liked Batman vs Superman. Suicide Squad is better.
This is good to hear. BvS wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. Think I'll try to catch Squad this weekend.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I will be seeing it with the kids in a couple of hours. We're all DC fans, so I'm sure we'll like it just on that, but I'll post later with thoughts.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

We saw it yesterday. I liked it. It wasn't great. But I didn't feel like it was a chaotic mess either. I think they could have handled character introductions better. I also felt that the character developments were definitely unequal. Some characters stole the scenes they were in. Well... really... there were only a couple that I actively disliked/felt were lacking.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just saw it a couple of hours ago. Some quick thoughts:

As a DC fan, it was a fun movie. They had a lot of fun playing with the different characters. What they didn't do as great of a job with was telling a story with those characters. If you are the type that can enjoy cool characters doing cool things, this is a good movie. If you are the type that can't get around core plot issues, stay away. I prefer one that can deliver the latter, but I can certainly enjoy the former.

Some high points:

Cameo from
Spoiler:
Flash. Nice to see him in costume and moving around, and I'm much less unhappy with him than I was in BvS.
Leto's Joker. It is great having a joker that is truly twisted and terrifying, not in a 'random violence' or 'funny violence' way, but in a truly irrational way that clearly only makes sense in his own mind.

Harley. Robbie did a great job of keeping the spirit of a character that was designed for an over-the-top cartoon.

El Diablo was awesome, too. I didn't know much about him (he's a minor character I've never read), but they really made him shine.

Waller. She gangsta.

Some low points:

As others have said, there were too many characters. It meant that none of the characters got enough time, and non-DC fans probably couldn't keep track of who was who. As much as I enjoy both characters in the comics (and their on-screen portrayals were good), they could have ditched both Katana and Boomerang without altering the story at all.

I disliked Kinnaman as Rick Flag. He just didn't look the part. Colonel Flag should be the archetypal SF officer - square jaw, clean shaved, buzz cut. Not thin faced with greasy hair and a scraggly moustache. Croc should have been a couple of feet taller, too, but that's just nitpicky.

The process of introducing the characters didn't appeal to me much. It did, however, give me Borderlands flashbacks.

The mid-credits scene... existed. It did nothing. It was
Spoiler:
exactly what we'd already seen from BvS. Bruce already had files on these same people and was looking for them. Now he has... more files on them and is still looking for them? Marvel's tags are designed to make you gasp about what is going to happen next.
Regarding the villain.
Spoiler:
The villains did absolutely nothing for me. Nada. Incubus (the guy, whom I had to look up) was entirely pointless, and what the hell was Enchantress doing with her godlike powers while they were beating the snot out of her brother?
General spoiler/question about the the film:
Spoiler:
Who shot down the Squad's chopper at the beginning? It certainly seemed to be getting hit with gunfire, but none of the enemies ever used guns.
Ok, I'm glad I saw it. It was great film for DC fans who get to watch their favorite characters finally in the flesh. A coherent epic it was not, though.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I agree that having Boomerang there was pretty pointless, he barely did anything. Unless they use him more in the sequel and they wanted to avoid more "introductions" in the 2nd movie, so they figured they'd just get it over with.

I'm not really familiar with DC comics so I don't know any of their characters beyond the few major ones (Batman, Superman, Joker - I think that's mostly it). It didn't really bother me having some characters without knowing their backstory. They are there, they have a name, that's good enough.

I'm getting tired of Joker as a character though. Just...not interested in seeing him in more movies.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, and it took place in Midway City. FWIW, that is the home of both Hawkman and Hawkgirl, regular members of the Justice League. Teasing them would have been a much better tag!
gilraen wrote: It didn't really bother me having some characters without knowing their backstory. They are there, they have a name, that's good enough.
Spoiler:
Well, they did give you Slipknot for a couple of minutes! :angry-steamingears:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, and I loved some of the fan service they tossed out with Harley and Joker. Her hammer, the traditional costume, and briefly recreating the classic illustration of the two while dancing:
Spoiler:
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Blackhawk wrote:Oh, and it took place in Midway City. FWIW, that is the home of both Hawkman and Hawkgirl, regular members of the Justice League. Teasing them would have been a much better tag!
gilraen wrote: It didn't really bother me having some characters without knowing their backstory. They are there, they have a name, that's good enough.
Spoiler:
Well, they did give you Slipknot for a couple of minutes! :angry-steamingears:
They probably didnt tease Hawkman and Hawkgirl because Legends of Tomorrow has damaged their image so badly that they are radioactive for the next ten years.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Well, regardless of how muddled it is, you're definitely getting a sequel:
‘Suicide Squad’ Heads For Record-Breaking $145 Million Plus Opening Weekend.

This blows way past the $94 million August record set by Guardians of the Galaxy. Doesn't seem fair, really.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

DC is still drawing audiences just on the name. Hopefully Johns will fix the films themselves before people start to get jaded.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wife and I just saw it. We enjoyed it. At least from the squad's characters. The big bad was secondary.

Wife specifically stated that she thought RT's rating was wrong.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Blackhawk - Regarding your last question in your review, I had the same WTF moment. And I have nothing for you. It made zero sense.

Although...
Spoiler:
I did notice that some of the soldiers that were taken over and turned into ... whatever... still used their weapons. So maybe they were soldiers that shot it down?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Holman wrote:Well, regardless of how muddled it is, you're definitely getting a sequel:

This blows way past the $94 million August record set by Guardians of the Galaxy. Doesn't seem fair, really.
Yep this shows that DC has a plan. Hype the everloving shit out of their movies and make bank the first week before word of mouth sinks them.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

rshetts2 wrote:
Holman wrote:Well, regardless of how muddled it is, you're definitely getting a sequel:

Yep this shows that DC has a plan. Hype the everloving shit out of their movies and make bank the first week before word of mouth sinks them.
There is a very large demographic who will go see ANY superhero movie regardless of the reviews, and who will enjoy it whether it's any good or not. The studios will keep milking these franchises as long as their loyal fanbase ensures profitability.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: There is a very large demographic who will go see ANY superhero movie regardless of the reviews, and who will enjoy it whether it's any good or not.
If they enjoy it, isn't it good? Unless 'good' for entertainment can be defined by an objective checklist, then enjoying something means it did it's job.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk wrote:
Kraken wrote: There is a very large demographic who will go see ANY superhero movie regardless of the reviews, and who will enjoy it whether it's any good or not.
If they enjoy it, isn't it good? Unless 'good' for entertainment can be defined by an objective checklist, then enjoying something means it did it's job.
That way lies madness and Matrix sequels.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Blackhawk wrote:
I guess if your standards are binary then that works but there are degrees of enjoyment for me. I can enjoy a movie and still think it was lacking. Hell I can even enjoy bad movies at times. That doesnt mean that I want to drop $15 to see a mediocre movie, even if I may find it enjoyable to some degree.
Also there are a lot of DC fan boy who saw this movie as the salvation of the DC movieverse and they will not let it fail. They even went as far as starting a petition to shut down Rotten Tomatoes because of the rating SS got. Of course, that's an aggregate rating of professional reviews and not RT's opinion but that doesn't matter. Burn the non-believers!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote:
For that core undiscriminating audience, sure, superhero movies can do no wrong. If you're there for two hours of wisecracks, chases, and fights then you're going to leave happy. The rest of us expect believable and consistent characters, a coherent plot, intelligible dialog and cinematography, an appropriate soundtrack, and similar storytelling standards.

This isn't specifically about Suicide Squad, btw, since I haven't seen it and don't intend to. If you liked it, I'm not here to tell you you're wrong. I was commenting on DC's financial plan according to rshetts2.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Redbox for me on this one.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

At first I was going to buy this as soon as it came out. Now I think I'll Netflix it first.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Actually, I made it pretty clear that it wasn't a great movie, despite my enjoying it.

My point was rather with the idea that seemed to suggest that it is somehow off to enjoy what isn't 'good', as if 'good' in entertainment was anything other than subjective. Different people enjoy different things. Critics and connoisseurs tend to forget that good isn't binary. I find it as silly as choosing games based purely off of Metacritic ratings with no regard for personal taste.

I've hated plenty of movies that are considered 'good', and loved movies thought to be 'bad.' I can't, for instance, be anything but bored with campy B movies of the 'so bad its good' variety (no classic Godzilla, please), and with very few exceptions find most of the 70s/80s comedy films from the SNL crew to be tedious and anything but funny. Caddyshack and Groundhog Day are pure misery. At the same time, I frequently enjoy movies, then look them up to see them holding a 4/10 rating despite my thinking they were good.

Maybe I'm just an unwashed mass ( :ninja: ), but the idea of something designed for pleasure being good because it fits the criteria of being good rather than because it brings pleasure has always seemed silly to me.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

After seeing this I understand all the talk about this movie. I've seen and enjoyed Assault on Arkham, and all I was hoping for was a live action movie sort of like that, and I got it. it was a fun movie to watch, the visuals are an eye popping contrast to the drab and dreary Snyder movies. My favorite bit was the shot with the swirling colors in the vat.

Downsides are that it's very disjointed. The individual shots and scenes are very well crafted, there's no incompetence on display in that respect. The problem is there's no flow, at least not for long. A scene takes place during the day, the next shot it's night. I get that time has passed but what did they do during all that time then? A character is standing in one spot, then cut to another character briefly, then cut back to the first character and now she's in a different spot and sitting down. Something is missing there, a chunk of that scene must have been chopped out for some reason.

Leto's Joker plays better in the movie than the pictures and trailers would make you think. He's genuinely creepy, not in a chaos personified way like Ledger, just more in a scary psycho way. I'd say Leto's Joker is Brian Cox's Hannibal Lecter while Ledger's Joker is Hopkins' Lecter by way of illustrating what I mean.

Margot Robbie delivers, she's actually better than the material she's working with. There's a scene in a bar where you can see what she could do if they'd just let her. I agree that the gang banger character is pretty damn good too, I never would have expected that. He's one of the better supporting characters I've seen in a comic book movie and the actor does great with him.

This a spoiler involving the ending that is an example of the wonkyness
Spoiler:
the bad guy is dispatched by a bomb, a BOMB! Which has to be placed by hand! Um, cruise missiles are in short supply? That's how 'off' the thinking can be in this movie.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

This one looks to be critic-proof - it has a 73% user score compared to a 26% critic score - one of the widest disparities I've seen in a long time.

I'm glad it's making money though, as DC needed to be able to justify continuing to make these types of movies. Hopefully the sequel will correct the flaws of this first outing.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just a guess, but either Wonder Woman will fix the problems in this line of films, or the line will end before there is a sequel.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

We went to see it on Sunday. As a fan of the superhero genre I enjoyed the film, but I absolutely see the criticisms of the film and largely agree with them. The actors did a great job with what they were given. Will Smith was way better than I anticipated, Margot Robbie was fantastic, and so was everyone else from the main cast even if I can't be bothered to look up their names.

But the film has major problems that I can't get past. The character growth is non-existent, even though the script relies on it.
Spoiler:
This really stuck out like a sore thumb during the final fight. El Diablo freaking out saying "I already lost one family, I won't lose another!"... Where the hell did that come from? Sharing one drink in a bar at the end of the world means your family now? Harley Quinn also had her own moment when she turned down the Enchantress' offer to bring back Joker because she didn't want to betray her friends. There just wasn't enough on the screen to make those moments believable. In fact, they were so jarring they took me out of the moment.

Earlier attempts at character growth and camaraderie were actually well done. Deadshot not shooting Harley was believable to me. Flagg's reaction in the bar, and the Suicide Squad agreeing to help him anyway, all worked. They were getting there, but needed to show more, IMO.
As for the Joker in this film, I think I would have cut almost every scene he was in.
Spoiler:
Joker serves no purpose in this story, outside of background for Quinn. The entire subplot of him trying to save Harley was stupid, and felt forced. They might as well have just posted the notes from the meeting where the studio execs informed the writers that the Joker must be in the film. The cameo's from Batman and Flash were organic. If they had limited the Joker to the flashback where they introduce Harley Quinn, and maybe at the end when he breaks her out of jail, it would have made for a much tighter movie.
And Leto's Joker does nothing for me. His might be my least favorite interpretation of the character.

Some other minor thoughts.
Spoiler:
It sure looked like Batman made out with an unconscious Harley Quinn. I'm sure he was just trying to give her mouth-to-mouth to prevent her from drowning, but it looked like a kiss. I don't know if that's on the actor, director, or cameraman though.

The mid-credit scene was pointless. Someone else mentioned that we have already seen Bruce Wayne getting the files on the other heroes in BvS. The entire point of the scene was so Wayne could say "Let me and my friends handle it for you." I think that would have worked a lot better if it had been Batman delivering the line after trying to strong arm Waller into shutting down the Suicide Squad.

Boomerang bolts as soon as Flagg breaks his tablet that controls the bomb in his neck. Funny gag! But to have him right back with the gang afterward? Come on, at least try to give us a reason for him to be back with the team.

Killer Croc was way too small.
TL/DR: The critics complaints of the movie are spot on, but the main characters are enjoyable enough that fans of DC or superhero films should get value in watching the movie. Still, this isn't the savior of the DCEU that many were hoping for.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

YellowKing wrote:This one looks to be critic-proof - it has a 73% user score compared to a 26% critic score - one of the widest disparities I've seen in a long time.

I'm glad it's making money though, as DC needed to be able to justify continuing to make these types of movies. Hopefully the sequel will correct the flaws of this first outing.
It's better rated than BvS, but not by much. Suicide Squad got 26/72 from RT with a CinemaScore of B+. BvS got 27/65 from RT and a CinemaScore of B. We know that BvS had a great opening weekend, but then dropped off a cliff and was ultimately a disappointment. Box Office Mojo didn't seem to think that the marginally better audience reaction to Suicide Squad would be enough to make it drastically outperform BvS.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I don't think this movie will have legs for three reasons. One, most people who want to see will see it the first weekend. Second, this is not a movie that I'm dying to see again even though I enjoyed it. Third, this is not a movie I'll recommend to people unless I know they're into this kind of material, in which case they've likely already seen it. Assuming other people feel the same way, then this movie is missing some key ingredients to long term box office.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My fear is that they'll view the box office as a sign that they should go back to their original methods.
Blackhawk wrote: Caddyshack and Groundhog Day are pure misery.
Sorry, but you are alone in the room you just put yourself in.

Why do you hate fun?

:P
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Show me on hepcat where Bill Murray touched you.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote:
Blackhawk wrote: Caddyshack and Groundhog Day are pure misery.
Sorry, but you are alone in the room you just put yourself in.

Why do you hate fun?

:P
He isn't alone. I wouldn't call them misery, but I would call them a waste of time.

I don't enjoy "dumb" comedy. Just to balance things out, I also dislike art house stuff and anything too full of itself (whatever that actually means).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So you just enjoy dumb action films, dumb dramas, dumb thrillers and dumb documentaries. Got it.
Isgrimnur wrote:Show me on hepcat where Bill Murray touched you.
Use this laser pointer set to wide angle for the sake of brevity.
He won. Period.