Fast Food Foofaraw

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Fast Food Foofaraw

Post by Daehawk »

I dont care for hot drinks. I can drink some coffee its iced and sweet with milk. I sometimes get mocha flavored chocolate blasts too.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Kraken wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:03 am Am I right in assuming that nobody ever drinks plain black coffee iced?
Nah. I cold brew decaf (use the drip maker for the once-through, then use the french press to double-brew it so ice cubes aren't an issue) so that I can drink something occassionally in the evenings. It stays fine in the fridge for up to a week.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Once my beans reach two weeks since roasting I course grind them and throw them in the fridge in a mason jar with the appropriate amount of water. Let it sit over night and then strain.

I drink it black on ice. It's very concentrated so the ice dilution is pretty necessary.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Z-Corn wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:50 pm Once my beans reach two weeks since roasting I course grind them and throw them in the fridge in a mason jar with the appropriate amount of water. Let it sit over night and then strain.

I drink it black on ice. It's very concentrated so the ice dilution is pretty necessary.

Iced Coffee, cold coffee...blech.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I often feel like we'll often get popular places at the tail-end of a trend. It happened with Five Guys. We had finally gotten a location a few years ago, but by that time, they weren't too popular anymore, and to top it off, they'd chosen a terrible location that's hard to get to, so I kind of feel bad for whoever decided to open one here. The feeling conveyed is often too little too late.

This past weekend, I heard that we're getting a Popeye's, which you know, is several years off from the peak popularity. I'm kind of curious how they managed to get into Canada, since there's already a Popeye's company that sells supplements.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BK
Burger King's menu is getting a big makeover and its customers might not even notice. That's why Burger King is hiring celebrities to promote the changes.

The burger chain announced Thursday that it's banning 120 artificial ingredients from its food, ranging from the ketchup to buns, as part of its commitment to deliver "real food." Burger King said customers won't notice any difference with the taste of its food despite the changes.

Burger King's Chief Marketing Officer Ellie Doty told CNN Business that it's a "big milestone" for the company, which has gradually been eliminating artificial ingredients flavors and colors over the past five years.
To promote the initiative, Burger King is imitating McDonald's and introducing meal deals created by celebrities. The "Keep It Real" meals, which goes on sale this Sunday, uses their real names instead of their better known stage names.

For example, rapper Nelly created the "Cornell Haynes Jr. Meal" that includes a Whopper with cheese, small fries and small Sprite. The meal from Brazilian singer Larissa Machado, which fans recognize as Anitta, is the same as Nelly's meal but has an Impossible Whopper instead. Singer-songwriter Lil Huddy, a.k.a. Chase Hudson, created a meal that includes its new spicy chicken sandwich, four-piece mozzarella sticks and a chocolate shake.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

These celebrity meals are silly. McDonald's has had them for a while, but a Whopper with cheese, small fries, and a small Sprite? Lol? Feature a promotional item or sauce or something at least. Who gives a damn what these pop stars (allegedly) order? I mean even if they come out with a Tom Waits meal that consists of a sausage & egg sourdough breakfast sandwich, blueberry turnover, and small black tea, I'm not interested.

If they're removing 120 artificial ingredients from their food, shouldn't we notice a difference? I mean, isn't that the main point?

I love a well prepared Whopper, but pretty much everything else on the BK menu disgusts me. (I like the ring sauce, but the rings are horrible and the worst in fast food... they're just a delivery mechanism for the sauce. :lol:) I'd like to see what they'd do with some genuine inspiration.

In other news, pumpkin spice is everywhere already, but Starbucks has a an apple crisp flavour I don't remember seeing in previous years, and it's legitimately delicious!

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Holman

Post by Holman »

Sudy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:54 pm These celebrity meals are silly. McDonald's has had them for a while, but a Whopper with cheese, small fries, and a small Sprite? Lol? Feature a promotional item or sauce or something at least. Who gives a damn what these pop stars (allegedly) order? I mean even if they come out with a Tom Waits meal that consists of a sausage & egg sourdough breakfast sandwich, blueberry turnover, and small black tea, I'm not interested.
The Tom Waits meal is cold damp fries, burnt coffee in a dirty mug, and a cheeseburger with three cigarettes stubbed out in it. One of the cigarettes is a different brand and has lipstick on the filter.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Holman wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:10 pm
Sudy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:54 pm These celebrity meals are silly. McDonald's has had them for a while, but a Whopper with cheese, small fries, and a small Sprite? Lol? Feature a promotional item or sauce or something at least. Who gives a damn what these pop stars (allegedly) order? I mean even if they come out with a Tom Waits meal that consists of a sausage & egg sourdough breakfast sandwich, blueberry turnover, and small black tea, I'm not interested.
The Tom Waits meal is cold damp fries, burnt coffee in a dirty mug, and a cheeseburger with three cigarettes stubbed out in it. One of the cigarettes is a different brand and has lipstick on the filter.
I'll take two.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Sudy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:54 pm I like the ring sauce, but the rings are horrible and the worst in fast food... they're just a delivery mechanism for the sauce.
Enlarge Image

Alexia Crispy Onion Rings with Panko Breading and Sea Salt :idea:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sudy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:54 pm I love a well prepared Whopper, but pretty much everything else on the BK menu disgusts me. (I like the ring sauce, but the rings are horrible and the worst in fast food... they're just a delivery mechanism for the sauce. :lol:) I'd like to see what they'd do with some genuine inspiration.

In other news, pumpkin spice is everywhere already, but Starbucks has a an apple crisp flavour I don't remember seeing in previous years, and it's legitimately delicious!
BK makes (or made?) a pumpkin shake that was better than Arby's mocha shake. It's only flaw was that a large shake was like four bucks and I felt John Travolta when I ordered it.

I also used to love their bacon double cheeseburger when I young. I have long since hit the age where fast food and I don't agree with each other most of the time and that lack of agreement has led to love (or convenience anyway) lost.

Edit:

Alexia make some killer sweet potato waffle fries that I will get when on sale.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Looking at my CC statement, I had fast food five times last month. :shock: All five times were Taco Bell. :shock: :shock: :shock: Needless to say, they opened a Taco Bell less than a mile from my place of work, I have not been working from home, and my hours at work have not been... light... I wonder when the last time I ate fast food five times in a month. I'm sure it's been years.

... Oh and I dig on their taco seasoned fries, which happened to have been in rotation on their $5 meal offering.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

First, they came for my chili cheese burrito and I said nothing, for I knew it was a luxury. Then they came for my double decker taco, and I still said nothing, for I knew that it was a blessing to have it for so long. Then they took my chicken burrito, and I wept, knowing that there was no items left on the menu to crave.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:05 pm First, they came for my chili cheese burrito and I said nothing, for I knew it was a luxury. Then they came for my double decker taco, and I still said nothing, for I knew that it was a blessing to have it for so long. Then they took my chicken burrito, and I wept, knowing that there was no items left on the menu to crave.
Oh I said something when they came for my chili cheese burrito. (that was like in the mid 90s) And I was disappointed when I lost the chicken burrito. I loved whatever it was they used as a dressing. I was also sad to lost the Taco Salad bowl. However, I didn't say anything when they came for Taco Pizza, if only because they raised the price on it so much I never ordered it anymore.

They rotate in enough stuff that I like, that I pay attention to their commercials. When they hit something I like, like the Nacho Fries, they are on my radar if I need to eat and drivethru is a possibility to meed that need.

https://www.eatthis.com/news-taco-bell- ... enu-items/
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If I could have just one TB item back it would be the smothered burrito.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

They still have the chili cheese burrito here. But they got rid of Mexican pizza just after I realized I liked it. I also really miss the spicy chicken soft shell taco.

Also... the Meximelt. :cry:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:05 pm First, they came for my chili cheese burrito and I said nothing, for I knew it was a luxury. Then they came for my double decker taco, and I still said nothing, for I knew that it was a blessing to have it for so long. Then they took my chicken burrito, and I wept, knowing that there was no items left on the menu to crave.
They have yet to create a single thing I crave.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You are a perennial edge-case.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The only thing I like there now since pizza was removed is the $1 beef burrito.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Crunchy Taco Supreme - never looked back
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I will forever be in the beef burrito supreme camp. Everything else is just an appetizer. And chalupas... chalupas are the Pancho Sanza of the BBS. Chalupas may exist.

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Since my nearest Taco Bell is across the street from a Qdoba, my go to is go across the street and get 3 cheese nacho bowl. $9-10. I spend that much or more at Taco Bell and am far less satisfied with the food (though it does entail a variety, as I'd usually get the Chicken Quesadilla, a Chalupa, nacho grande, maybe another item and now that they have cinnabon desserts, some of those (usually to share w/ the family, they don't like mexican, so usually, when I'm making fast food run I hit 2-4 places).

My big thing for the last year is Arby's and their wraps and jalapeno poppers (for fast food poppers, they're significantly better than the 2-3 other places I've tried).
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Doesn't Qdoba sell real food though?

And you're a good parent/spouse/etc. Four stops? :shock:

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:58 pm If I could have just one TB item back it would be the smothered burrito.
Was that the Enchirito?

Those were one of my faves.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Good coffee is good at any temperature. Mine goes through distinct flavor changes as it cools. All enjoyable.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:38 pm
Daehawk wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:58 pm If I could have just one TB item back it would be the smothered burrito.
Was that the Enchirito?

Those were one of my faves.
Similar but no.

You can see the ingredients in the pic
Enlarge Image

And this is the smothered burrito
Smothered Burrito features a warm flour tortilla filled with Latin rice, refried beans, creamy chipotle sauce, and the choice of new shredded chicken, seasoned beef, or steak. The burrito is then covered in red sauce, a melted 3-cheese blend, and reduced-fat sour cream.
Enlarge Image

Remember the old old original enchirido served in the metal pan?
Enlarge Image
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Oh man, I wish I'd been able to try those while they existed. I love their red sauce. It's one of the reasons I order their basic bean burritos sometimes. (And why I miss the Mexican pizza.) They either didn't have those items in Canada, or it was during periods that I rarely got to visit a Taco Bell.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You can ask for red sauce on anything. They let you add or remove anything on anything as far as Ive ordered stuff.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

That's a good suggestion, thanks. I don't know why I've never tried that. Other than the fear they'll mess it up.

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:57 pm
Remember the old old original enchirido served in the metal pan?
Enlarge Image
Yep, that's the one I was so fond of. It's been gone a long time I think. Of course they never looked quite like that.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:57 pm Remember the old old original enchirido served in the metal pan?
Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And the poking around that resulted led to me discovering that people are selling McDonald's styrofoam clamshells on ebay for $25 each.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I am old indeed.

And Id pay that for a McDLT one. But it better come with a fresh hot/cold McDLT straight out of the time machine.

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Taco Bell should bring back the early 90s Fajita Grilled Stuffed Burrito :idea:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Who the hell would want the processed cheese kept cool?

Apparently those were on the menu till 1998, but I never encountered one... must have only been in the U.S./select markets. I do miss the Big Xtra though, their answer to the Whopper. Last I heard you can still get them at some Walmart locations. But that was my McDonald's sandwich of choice in high school, until the early 2000s. Back when "Make It Bacon" was a slogan, and you could add a 99-cent, pepper-encrusted slice of bacon formed into a disk. Actually, I think I'm conflating that with something that came on the Arch Deluxe several years earlier... but Make it Bacon was definitely a thing circa 1999/2000.

Recently I've seen McDonald's promote something they call a "Big Mac Bacon" which really confuses me, because bacon exists as a same-priced add-on 100% of the time and is visible at the kiosks and when ordering via courier menu. It's like tossing a slice of tomato on the Filet-O-Fish and then promoting it as the limited-time-only "McFilet-O-McFish Deluxe".

Huh, I forgot those Grilled STUFT Burritos existed. The ones I remember came on the scene in the early 2000s, and we probably had them up until several years ago. They were my Taco Bell meal of choice for a few years, but I came to hate them. I think it's the seasoned rice and creamy chipotle sauce I can still taste now if I close my eyes. Kind of feel like one now... it may just be the cannabis. (Like eating one, I mean. I don't literally think I'm a fucking burrito.)

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Sudy wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:00 pm Doesn't Qdoba sell real food though?

And you're a good parent/spouse/etc. Four stops? :shock:
True, but for same or cheaper price, would your rather have Taco Bell or Qdoba if they're across the street from each other and you can driving past them going out and coming back (so which side of the street I stop at doesn't matter).

As to multiple places, kid always wants McDonald's, wife sometimes wants KFC (furthest away), or sometimes Burger King. But with Covid, everything except McD's and Wendy's closes earlier now. 8, sometimes 7.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yes, sorry... just teasing. :P Unfortunately we don't have a Qdoba here, but I've enjoyed it a few times when visiting my folks. We do have a Barburrito though, which is in the same vein and is pretty good.

Taco Bell is probably at the peak of my fast food guilty pleasures mountain. I adore them and will try any new item, even though I almost always regret going there and there's assuredly better food to be found for the same money.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I wouldn't mind Taco Bell bringing back the bacon cheeseburger burrito.

Hodor.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Sudy wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:51 pm Yes, sorry... just teasing. :P
I figured, just thought I'd respond, help keep the chat going. :)

I like a fair amount fast food too, I used to like Taco Bell before I realized Qdoba was there and tasted so much better. Still like Arby's wraps and poppers, Wendy's jr bacon cheese burgers and pub bacon/cheese fries, etc.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Apropos of nothing, on the rare occasions that I go to Taco Bell and use the self serve kiosk I always use the name of a member of the Justice League for my name. Today I was Barry A. Last time I was Hal J.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire