Amazon Prime TV/Movies

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Amazon Prime TV/Movies

Post by Blackhawk »

A +1 for Invincible. It's a great show. A great animated gory show about superheroes who fight.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

...except for the live action JK Simmons character, of course.
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote:J.K. Simmons character isn’t animated in it though. It’s like Pete’s Dragon.
Interest? Piqued!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm messing with Jaymann. It's all animated.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Chris Pratt in The Tomorrow War

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

hepcat wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:40 pm

Nick Frost. That’s all you need to know.

Well...and Simon Pegg shows up too.
Anyone watched this? I've finished 3 episodes, interesting but has not been overly funny like I expected, and really have to suspend your logical thinking (not because of ghosts) but just some of the stuff they do.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yup, I watched it all. It's not laugh out loud funny, no. But I don't think it's supposed to be. It has a pretty decent story arc that unfolds over the course of the season. Yes, it has some moments where you have to work to suspend disbelief, but I can name a dozen other shows folks enjoy that require far more effort.

Also, Malcolm McDowell is a scene stealer whenever he shows up. I ended up realizing I was watching it first and foremost for his appearances.

So yeah, not great, but I do think it's good.
Covfefe!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:30 am Yup, I watched it all. It's not laugh out loud funny, no. But I don't think it's supposed to be. It has a pretty decent story arc that unfolds over the course of the season. Yes, it has some moments where you have to work to suspend disbelief, but I can name a dozen other shows folks enjoy that require far more effort.

Also, Malcolm McDowell is a scene stealer whenever he shows up. I ended up realizing I was watching it first and foremost for his appearances.

So yeah, not great, but I do think it's good.
alright, I will finish it and I agree McDowell scenes have been my favorite parts so far.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

In case anyone else is unaware, Prime has Galaxy Quest for free. I hadn't watched it in so many years that I didn't even realize that Sam Rockwell and Tony Shalhoub are in it, much less Rainn Wilson. Hearing Abe in Mrs Maisel delivering Shalhoub's lines just made it funnier.

Amazon does a crappy job curating movies. You have to dig deep to find the gems.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I think all the streaming services I've tried do a horrible job. It's either curated lists, or just the whole database at once, with a few ill-assigned genre options.

Also, we seriously need to pass legislation outlawing avatar changes. Didn't you switch yours just recently?! That or we need a directory of past ones. I probably confuse some people who've changed theirs for members I have no memory of.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Kraken wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:21 am Amazon does a crappy job curating movies. You have to dig deep to find the gems.
True.

This is why I would strongly encourage you to get around to watching the terrific J. K. Simmons science fiction/cold war espionage thriller Counterpart on Prime video before it disappears (considering the show is not Amazon-produced original content, chances are it may not be available indefinitely):

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sudy wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:00 am Also, we seriously need to pass legislation outlawing avatar changes. Didn't you switch yours just recently?! That or we need a directory of past ones. I probably confuse some people who've changed theirs for members I have no memory of.
Yes, I'm having an identity crisis, by Grabthar's Hammer. Who knows where I'll end up?

Added Counterpart to my list. We just finished Mrs Maisel a couple of nights ago, so maybe this one will be next.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:16 am
Kraken wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:21 am Amazon does a crappy job curating movies. You have to dig deep to find the gems.
True.

This is why I would strongly encourage you to get around to watching the terrific J. K. Simmons science fiction/cold war espionage thriller Counterpart on Prime video before it disappears (considering the show is not Amazon-produced original content, chances are it may not be available indefinitely):

We did start Counterpart last night and it drew me in, so we'll stick with it. Based on one episode the travel-between-worlds reminds me of The Man in the High Castle and Fringe.
Anonymous Bosch

Kraken wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:57 pm We did start Counterpart last night and it drew me in, so we'll stick with it. Based on one episode the travel-between-worlds reminds me of The Man in the High Castle and Fringe.
Glad to hear it, as it ought to be right up your alley. Rest assured, Counterpart is vastly superior to both of those shows. It's a truly underrated and overlooked hidden gem that not enough people are even aware of.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:20 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:57 pm We did start Counterpart last night and it drew me in, so we'll stick with it. Based on one episode the travel-between-worlds reminds me of The Man in the High Castle and Fringe.
Glad to hear it, as it ought to be right up your alley. Rest assured, Counterpart is vastly superior to both of those shows. It's a truly underrated and overlooked hidden gem that not enough people are even aware of.
Watching Ep 1 now, but I'm afraid subsequent seasons will require a Starz subscription.
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Jeff V wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:17 pm
Watching Ep 1 now, but I'm afraid subsequent seasons will require a Starz subscription.
There are only two seasons in total. And this URL for the second season of Counterpart, clearly indicates "Season 1-2 included with Prime." Though as I mentioned to Kraken above, since the show is not Amazon-produced original content there's always the risk that it won't be included with Prime indefinitely.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:09 pm
There are only two seasons in total. And this URL for the second season of Counterpart, clearly indicates "Season 1-2 included with Prime." Though as I mentioned to Kraken above, since the show is not Amazon-produced original content there's always the risk that it won't be included with Prime indefinitely.
There are only 20 episodes and we're watching one per night, so it's only got to last a little over two more weeks. :)

Three episodes in I'm still liking it, especially as we get little references to the differences between the worlds. I'm not a fan of cloak-and-dagger stories in general and hope I don't get lost, because the potential for double-crossing double agents is doubled.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Counterparts does require your attention. There are numerous betrayals and twists. Which is what made me love it.
Jeff V wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:17 pm Watching Ep 1 now, but I'm afraid subsequent seasons will require a Starz subscription.
It’s free for prime members. I just double checked.
Covfefe!
Anonymous Bosch

hepcat wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:41 pm Counterparts does require your attention. There are numerous betrayals and twists. Which is what made me love it.
Amen.

The actors also do a terrific job of portraying the conspicuous and subtle differences and details between counterparts, which really sucks you in and keeps you on the edge of your seat as the show progresses.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:00 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:41 pm Counterparts does require your attention. There are numerous betrayals and twists. Which is what made me love it.
Amen.

The actors also do a terrific job of portraying the conspicuous and subtle differences and details between counterparts, which really sucks you in and keeps you on the edge of your seat as the show progresses.
Agreed. It's amazing to me how J. K. Simmons can so cleanly portray two separate counterparts and always be clear who is who.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Malificent wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:02 pm
Amen.

Agreed. It's amazing to me how J. K. Simmons can so cleanly portray two separate counterparts and always be clear who is who.
Tatiana Maslani set the standard for that in Orphan Black.

If I can't keep up with the skullduggery in Counterparts, that's on me.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Amazon Said to Make $9 Billion Offer for MGM

MGM claims to own one of the world’s “deepest libraries” of premium film and TV content.

Its 4,000 film titles include the James Bond, Hobbit, Rocky/Creed, RoboCop and Pink Panther franchises, as well as movies like “The Silence of the Lambs,” “The Magnificent Seven” and “Four Weddings and a Funeral.” The MGM TV library includes approximately 17,000 episodes of programming, including “Stargate SG-1,” “Stargate Atlantis,” “Stargate Universe,” “Vikings,” “Fargo,” “The Handmaid’s Tale,” “Get Shorty,” “Condor,” “Fame,” “American Gladiators,” “Teen Wolf” and “In the Heat of the Night.” Unscripted shows in its portfolio include “The Voice,” “Survivor,” “Shark Tank,” “”The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills” and “The Hills.”

For Amazon, media is a relatively small piece of its gargantuan empire but represents a fast-growing business segment. In 2020, the company spent $11 billion on TV shows, movies and music for Prime services — up 40% from the year prior.
If this happens, it could mean a bigger library for Amazon Prime users. It might also mean MGM finally joining MoviesAnywhere.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

They are fast approaching (if not hit already) market saturation with Prime memberships, at least in the US.

They can't really go wide anymore, so they have to go up (add content and features and perks to Prime in order to justify price increases).
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I see Teen Wolf on that list, but no mention of Teen Wolf 2. :hand:
Covfefe!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

If Amazon has a budget that allows it to spend $11B/year on content, it seems a no-brainer to spend $9B one time to get all of MGM's library.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:00 pm If Amazon has a budget that allows it to spend $11B/year on content, it seems a no-brainer to spend $9B one time to get all of MGM's library.
I bet Bezos can find that under the cushions of his couch.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

hepcat wrote:I see Teen Wolf on that list, but no mention of Teen Wolf 2. :hand:
Too
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yikes, I've been outed as a fake teen wolfer! :o
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Anyone else watch "Mrs America", the 10-part story of Phyllis Schlafly, the feminist movement, and the ERA?

Without getting political, I've learned a lot of history. I was just a teenager who was becoming politically aware as the events were unfolding, so a 45-years-later retrospective has been eye-opening. It's well-cast and acted, especially Rose Byrne as Gloria Steinem and Uzu Aduba (Crazy Eyes from Orange is the New Black) as Shirley Chisholm, and of course Cate Blanchett as Schlafly. I'll also say that 10 hours is too long. We just finished part 7 tonight and, even though it's just now getting into history that I remember, the last three episodes feel like an obligation.

Still, if you're interested in the women's liberation movement and/or the rise of the right wing that ruled the GOP from 1980-2016, you'll find this informative and mostly entertaining.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Amen.

Ya I was stupid and watched it while working, which doesn't get my full attention. The show ended up being confusing because of it :D Don't feel like rewatching.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:57 pm Anyone else watch "Mrs America", the 10-part story of Phyllis Schlafly, the feminist movement, and the ERA?

Without getting political, I've learned a lot of history. I was just a teenager who was becoming politically aware as the events were unfolding, so a 45-years-later retrospective has been eye-opening. It's well-cast and acted, especially Rose Byrne as Gloria Steinem and Uzu Aduba (Crazy Eyes from Orange is the New Black) as Shirley Chisholm, and of course Cate Blanchett as Schlafly. I'll also say that 10 hours is too long. We just finished part 7 tonight and, even though it's just now getting into history that I remember, the last three episodes feel like an obligation.

Still, if you're interested in the women's liberation movement and/or the rise of the right wing that ruled the GOP from 1980-2016, you'll find this informative and mostly entertaining.
Where can I find this? It's something I'm definitely interested in.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jeff V wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:35 pm
Kraken wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:57 pm Anyone else watch "Mrs America", the 10-part story of Phyllis Schlafly, the feminist movement, and the ERA?

Where can I find this? It's something I'm definitely interested in.
It's on Hulu (or you can buy it for $15 on amazon).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Ah, not going to pay so nevermind.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:09 pm
Is there any indication there will be a season 3? Season 2 did bring things to somewhat of a conclusion, but there was no permanent closing of the crossing which leads me to believe they were expecting more...
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s dead. I would’ve loved more world building, but they at least tied up more than I expected them to after hearing it was being cancelled.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:51 pm It’s dead. I would’ve loved more world building, but they at least tied up more than I expected them to after hearing it was being cancelled.
Damn. Although they did wrap things well enough that a season 3 would have required an entirely new plot.

Stars sucks at sticking with series. I'm still angry at not getting proper closure with The Boss.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I understand there may be a sequel in the works where J. K. Simmons interacts with animated characters.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:39 pm Ah, not going to pay so nevermind.
Sorry, I forgot it wasn't free. Wife really wanted to see it so a buck fiddy an episode was an easy sell.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:19 pm I understand there may be a sequel in the works where J. K. Simmons interacts with animated characters.
THE CALLBACK IS STRONG IN THIS ONE!
Covfefe!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jaymann wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:19 pm I understand there may be a sequel in the works where J. K. Simmons interacts with animated characters.
PLEASE dont encourage him!!!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine