Amazon Prime TV/Movies

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Amazon Prime TV/Movies

Post by Isgrimnur »

We have threads for Netflix, so here's one for Amazon's tv and film production.

Variety
A new “Jack Ryan” series, starring John Krasinski, has landed a series greenlight at Amazon with a 10-episode order, Variety has learned.

Based on Tom Clancy’s iconic CIA character, the modernized series, described as a reinvention of the classic story, hails from Carlton Cuse and Graham Roland who shepherded the adaptation.

Michael Bay, Brad Fuller, Andrew Form, David Ellison, Dana Goldberg, Marcy Ross, Mace Neufeld and Lindsey Springer are also exec producing. The series hails from Paramount and Skydance Television.
The new take on “Jack Ryan” landed at Amazon in late 2015 with a promising series commitment, instead of their typical pilot-testing strategy. Krasinski was cast this April, further pushing the hot project along toward a series order.

“Jack Ryan” will shoot in the U.S., Europe and Africa. No premiere date has been set.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
McNutt

Re: Amazon TV/Movies

Post by McNutt »

That would sound good if it didn't star John Krasinski.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Just because someone is known for comedy doesn't mean that they don't have other skills. He was good enough to screen test for Captain America.

He was also in 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi, which I have not seen, but have not heard any backlash regarding any acting issues.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I'm not sure that's a valid complaint in a post Pratt world. I like Krasinski. And I think after Pine, the franchise can only get better.
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm not saying he can't do it. There are just certain people that rub me the wrong way and he's one. I didn't like him in Away We Go or License to Wed, although those were both horrible movies. I don't even like hearing him on the eSurance commercials.

Plus hes married to Emily Blunt, so fuck that lucky son of a bitch.
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure that's a valid complaint in a post Pratt world. I like Krasinski. And I think after Pine, the franchise can only get better.
I thought Pine was fine. The script on the other hand. :doh:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He wasn't awful, he was just...adequate. He didn't bring any real charisma to the role. Something I think Krasinski can do.
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

I saw the pilot of The Office on Sunday night. I'll let you know how I feel in about 4 months. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Isgrimnur wrote:He was also in 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi, which I have not seen, but have not heard any backlash regarding any acting issues.
He was good, but at the same time I kept expecting him to turn towards the camera with a raised eyebrow.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I'd be more concerned by the fact that Michael Bay is an executive producer.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Run, don't walk to your TV set and watch Jean Claude Van Johnson on Amazon Prime original pilots. It's a half hour comedy series in which Jean Claude Van Damme plays movie star Jean Claude Van Damme. But he also moonlights as Jean Claude Van Johnson, undercover black ops operative. It's a blast. I laughed numerous times during the show. Van Damme pokes fun at himself throughout, but it's done in such a way that it never felt forced.

Two thumbs way up on this one.
Covfefe!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

DBT don't laugh.
DBT don't text.

Anyway I liked the JCVD one. I actually smiled a few times.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Anyone know how to tell what movies/shows are going to leave Prime (eg, a list of all of the movies/shows and when they expire), short of adding them to your watchlist and hovering your mouse over them?

I noticed that a bunch of older movies are leaving at the end of the month, and Fringe is leaving in mid-September. It would be nice to know what else will be.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Another vote for checking out Jean Claude Van Johnson. Great send-up of the film industry and 80's action.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Good Omens
Amazon Studios today announced it has greenlit Good Omens, an hour-long limited comedy series based on Neil Gaiman’s (American Gods) and Terry Pratchett’s (Colour of Magic) acclaimed novel of the same name. Set to debut in 2018 on Prime Video, Good Omens is a six-part series that has been entirely written by Gaiman, who will also serve as Showrunner. BBC Studios is co-producing the series with Narrativia and The Blank Corporation and in association with BBC Worldwide for Amazon Prime Video and the BBC.

Good Omens will be a global release and available exclusively on Amazon Prime Video for members to watch via the Prime Video app for popular smart TVs, Fire TV, Fire Tablets and Android and iOS phones and tablets. The show will also be available on PrimeVideo.com for Prime Video members in more than 200 countries and territories. The show will also broadcast on the BBC in the UK, following its premiere on Prime Video.
Neil Gaiman, writer, said: “Almost thirty years ago, Terry Pratchett and I wrote the funniest novel we could about the end of the world, populated with angels and demons, not to mention an eleven-year-old Antichrist, witchfinders and the four horsepeople of the Apocalypse. It became many people’s favourite book. Three decades later, it’s going to make it to the screen. I can’t think of anyone we’d rather make it with than BBC Studios, and I just wish Sir Terry were alive to see it.”
Executive Producers of the series are Neil Gaiman, Caroline Skinner (Doctor Who), and Chris Sussman (Fleabag) for BBC Studios, Rob Wilkins (Choosing to Die) and Rod Brown (Going Postal) for Narrativia. Gaiman will adapt the novel for the screen.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Watched the first couple of episodes of Bosch the other day, and enjoyed them. Just wish the fire TV I picked up was in good wifi range at the MIL's place while we do our remodel.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I've really enjoyed Bosch. I think Titus does a great job at channeling Bosch himself. Am a big fan of the Connelly series. Big thumbs up there.

Wanted to give a big recommendation to Sneaky Pete. Very good acting, plotting, the whole nine yards. Fun little story.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
tgb

Post by tgb »

On a friend's recommendation we started watching Goliath (aka Better Call Billy Bob). I didn't care for it after watching the first episode because a)I never particularly liked BB Thornton and b) it seemed like just another set of down-on-his-luck-drunken-attorney-gets-redemption-from-a-big-case cliches.

I decided to give it another shot, and after the second episode it's starting to grow on me.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

My dad LOVES Goliath. Which is almost enough to make sure I never watch it. He has horrible tastes in movies and TV shows.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Goliath is a good series and the main plot is resolved this season so you get closure if it's not renewed. The big bad guy is a bit melodramatic but that entertained me.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I just watched the first episode of The Newsroom again. It's amazing how little has changed in the past 4.5 years.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

$iljanus wrote: The big bad guy is a bit melodramatic
Just a bit.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I liked the first 2 seasons of Mozart in the Jungle. Season 3 hasn't exactly grabbed me though, it seems they are stuck in the same story arc as season 2, except they are now hanging out in Italy. I haven't been motivated to watch beyond Ep 3.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Jeff V wrote:I liked the first 2 seasons of Mozart in the Jungle. Season 3 hasn't exactly grabbed me though, it seems they are stuck in the same story arc as season 2, except they are now hanging out in Italy. I haven't been motivated to watch beyond Ep 3.
Even though I liked the Italian episodes it does return to NYC so it may catch your interest again. And I did enjoy the final episode which moved some things forward as well as the first episode in NYC. At least they're not full hour episodes so the time investment isn't that bad. Well at least not as bad for parents that have one nine year old that's more self sufficient than a toddler/newborn.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
tgb

Post by tgb »

I wasn't knocked out by the first episode of Sneaky Pete, but we watched the second last night and it was a lot better. I think we'll stick with it.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Patriot is pretty damn great. It's like the Coen brothers crossed The Americans with Inside Llewan Davis.
Last edited by hepcat on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

tgb wrote:I wasn't knocked out by the first episode of Sneaky Pete, but we watched the second last night and it was a lot better. I think we'll stick with it.
Do. It gets pretty great by the end.

I read that the first episode was made to shop around to networks, including the main ones (e.g., NBC), so it's pretty tame and conventional. Once they were bought by Amazon, they could go all-in in a more edgy direction.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Captain Caveman wrote:
tgb wrote:I wasn't knocked out by the first episode of Sneaky Pete, but we watched the second last night and it was a lot better. I think we'll stick with it.
Do. It gets pretty great by the end.

I read that the first episode was made to shop around to networks, including the main ones (e.g., NBC), so it's pretty tame and conventional. Once they were bought by Amazon, they could go all-in in a more edgy direction.
I should really get back to it. tlr didn't particularly care for it, so our TV time has been spent watching other things, but this thread is a good reminder that I need to finish the season.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Man in the High Castle is pretty good so far...I only watched one, but will definitely be continuing. I hesitated because I was not sure if I should read the book first.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Man in the High Castle is pretty good so far...I only watched one, but will definitely be continuing. I hesitated because I was not sure if I should read the book first.
Keep watching my friend, keep watching
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Queuing ep 2 up now. Amazing that both Netflix and Amazon Prime works abroad now with no problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jim Jarmusch directs a documentary about the early days of The Stooges?

Yes, please!
Covfefe!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

hepcat wrote:Jim Jarmusch directs a documentary about the early days of The Stooges?

Yes, please!
Oh yeah, I've been waiting for that to become available for rental let alone Prime streaming.
tgb

Post by tgb »

hepcat wrote:Jim Jarmusch directs a documentary about the early days of The Stooges?

Yes, please!
I want to see this, but I'm not as excited as when I thought it would about Drs. Howard, Fine & Howard
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

One of Amazon's new pilots is actually pretty good: a sci-fi show named Oasis. It stars whatshishead from Game of Thones (the one who had a bad time at his wedding). I watched it then voted for it to be picked up for a full season.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W5 ... 9940930011
tgb

Post by tgb »

Yes, please!
I watched this this afternoon and it's a hoot. Jarmusch edits enough clever stuff in that even if you're not particularly a Stooges fan (I can take them or leave them) it's still entertaining, and Iggy turns out to be quite the raconteur.

The funniest story had to do with an early manager getting Moe on the phone to make sure he was cool with the name.

"I don't give a fuck what you call yourselves as long as it's not Three Stooges". :D
tgb

Post by tgb »

Anyone else check out American Playboy? It's the Hef story told in a weird mix of documentary footage and re-enactments.

It's ok, but I'll be watching it for the articles.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I thought about it, but by the time I get the kids to bed, I'm too tired to read the articles.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Bosch (the detective, not the appliance) is back on April 21st. Good detective show staring the talented Titus Welliver.
Black lives matter!

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

$iljanus wrote:Bosch (the detective, not the appliance) is back on April 21st. Good detective show staring the talented Titus Welliver.
Making my way through season 3. I can't imagine watching shows on regular TV and not being able to skip past boring parts (e.g., every scene with his daughter) or having to watch commercials again.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow