Amazon Prime TV/Movies

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

pr0ner

Re: Amazon Prime TV/Movies

Post by pr0ner »

Definitely flirting. Definitely also tucking his shirt back in. Though doing it laying down is weird as shit.
Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

He asked for her number and address. No doubt at all what was up.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Yeah, while I could see the argument that he was tucking in his shirt, I definitely don’t think that’s a given at all.

I watched it last night and thought it was pretty good. Not as many laugh out loud moments as the first one, though perhaps that’s more because I knew what to expect. I read a bit about the making of it afterwards and the most impressive part to me was when SBC stayed with those two guys. Apparently he actually lived with them for five days and stayed in character the whole time.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, I watched it. As much as I dislike Giuliani and believe he's pure pond scum in human form, I just saw a pathetic old man flirting with a woman who was going over the top in pretending to be into him. When he was putting his hand down his pants, it really just looked like he was tucking in his shirt. They cut it off with Cohen's entrance in a way that ended any chance it could have been more than that.

I enjoyed the film though....even if much of it felt like rehashed stuff from the first one...which is still one of the funniest films I've ever seen in a theater.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

It was worth watching. I don't usually laugh out loud when I'm by myself and watching a comedy. The crowd effect really works on me in that regard. However, there were several scenes that had my laughing. My favorite might have been when SBC asked the doctor if his daughter had a Jew nose. The relief when he said "no" was hilarious.

Overall I was never able to believe that most of this was not 100% staged and that everyone, even the two rednecks, were in on the gags.
Holman

Post by Holman »

McNutt wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:40 pm It was worth watching. I don't usually laugh out loud when I'm by myself and watching a comedy. The crowd effect really works on me in that regard. However, there were several scenes that had my laughing. My favorite might have been when SBC asked the doctor if his daughter had a Jew nose. The relief when he said "no" was hilarious.

Overall I was never able to believe that most of this was not 100% staged and that everyone, even the two rednecks, were in on the gags.
I watched it and loved it, but I'd really like to have an honest "making of" treatment to know who was in on the jokes and who wasn't.

For example, the "Country Steve" performance at the militia rally was an authentic thing (and Cohen had to make a quick escape), but it's harder to believe that the two Jewish ladies at the synagogue didn't know something was up, especially given the ridiculousness of Borat's costume and the obvious presence of a camera crew.

Tutar (little-known Bulgarian actress Maria Bakalova) was excellent from beginning to end, and she had to pull off scenes that would have embarrassed even Sacha Baron Cohen. Brava!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Get one thing straight; nothing, and I mean nothing, embarasses SBC.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:03 pmbut it's harder to believe that the two Jewish ladies at the synagogue didn't know something was up, especially given the ridiculousness of Borat's costume and the obvious presence of a camera crew.
You leveled up your intuition:
This interesting detail is included in a report from Deadline which primarily focuses on the news that the recent lawsuit filed by Judith Dim Evans' estate (she passed away in the time between when the Borat 2 segment was filmed and the film was released) has been dismissed. According to the trade site, Sacha Baron Cohen felt that he owed respect to the woman he talked with and her friend, and had someone tell her that Borat was played by a Jewish actor who aimed to promote Holocaust education via a horrifically anti-Semitic character.
Kinda surprised about the lawsuit. I saw a GoFundMe or something for the woman that played Tutar's babysitter. Apparently she really had no idea what was happening. It was nice to see a not-garbage person in the movie.
Holman wrote:Tutar (little-known Bulgarian actress Maria Bakalova) was excellent from beginning to end, and she had to pull off scenes that would have embarrassed even Sacha Baron Cohen. Brava!
She really was excellent. I hope she wins an award because I agree - I don't now how she did half those scenes.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

For the most part I think the people weren’t really in the know at all, with the two Jewish women the exception. SBC was interviewed on Colbert and talked about having to scramble to hide his computer & cell phone from the guys he stayed with (for five days!).

The other instance that seemed maybe the person was in on it was the receptionist at the plastic surgery place. I can’t imagine she would’ve really counted out that much money in one dollar bills.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My guess for 'in on it' would have been the babysitter. It had too many moments that worked out just right, and too many elements that were required to advance the narrative.

/edit - Nevermind.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

McNutt wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:32 pm Get one thing straight; nothing, and I mean nothing, embarasses SBC.
Yeah, but she put herself in a position to be felt up by Rudy Giuliani. That deserves combat pay right there.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Two surprisingly good shows on Amazon Prime. I feel a binge coming on.

This reminds me a LOT of The End of the F&#king World....which is a good thing. The lead actors are fantastic.

Nick Frost. That’s all you need to know.

Well...and Simon Pegg shows up too.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m almost through the first season of Truth Seekers. I’m really enjoying it. It had a real story arc and some twists I wasn’t expecting.

But the main draw is Malcom McDowell. He steals every scene he’s in as Nick Frost’s dad. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised as he is one of the greats.
He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’m just about finished with Season 1 of Man in the High Castle. Really enjoying it so far.

I see there’s four seasons. Does it keep the same quality throughout? Haven’t wanted to look into it too much, to avoid spoilers.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:04 am I’m just about finished with Season 1 of Man in the High Castle. Really enjoying it so far.

I see there’s four seasons. Does it keep the same quality throughout? Haven’t wanted to look into it too much, to avoid spoilers.
I'm halfway into S2, and it's getting better as some of the mystery gets resolved and characters come together. Still not many real phildickian moments, although I don't remember the book because I read it decades ago.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kraken wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:55 am
Skinypupy wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:04 am I’m just about finished with Season 1 of Man in the High Castle. Really enjoying it so far.

I'm halfway into S2, and it's getting better as some of the mystery gets resolved and characters come together. Still not many real phildickian moments, although I don't remember the book because I read it decades ago.
I honestly just googled "phildickian", thinking it was some fancy-pants word I hadn't heard before. :doh:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I enjoyed seasons 1-3 of Man in the High Castle but wasn't too happy with season 4.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Daveman wrote:I enjoyed seasons 1-3 of Man in the High Castle but wasn't too happy with season 4.
Season 4 just went off the rails to me. I loved seasons 1-2 and 3 was decent. But season 4, yikes.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Has anyone else watched Absentia? I'm only on Season 1, but every time you think she couldn't get in any deeper...
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, this is a surprise. The entire final season of Vikings showed up last night on Amazon Prime streaming. Looks like I've got some bingeing to do.

Now, where did I put my viking helmet, rubber spear and lederhosen (I couldn't find a fur loin cloth)?
He won. Period.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Anyone seen Palm Springs with Andy Samberg?
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That's actually on Hulu. On amazon you'd have to get a showtime sub/trial to watch it.

But we discussed it in the hulu thread at one point, i believe. If I recall, the general consensus was that it was surprisingly good. I know I enjoyed it, which I did not expect.
He won. Period.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Interesting. Its on Amazon Prime in Canada. I watched it last night and quite enjoyed it. My wife was less enamoured with it. You definately have to suspend your disbelief and its somewhat raunchy so I can see why it might not be everyones cup of tea.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wonder if it’s as good in Canadian as it is in English?
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Just finished watching Into the Labyrinth, an Italian movie with Dustin Hoffman. I was expecting cheeseball, but it was actually quite good, and there really is a labyrinth, not just a metaphor. I actually guessed the big reveal. However the boogyman is
Spoiler:
straight out of Donnie Darko.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Has anyone else watched Billions? They had me at David Straithairn, but John freaking Malkovich as a Russian? Geef the man hees money!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The link description says "The Map of Tiny Pe"

I'm glad I was wrong about the title.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I stopped at “living the same day over”. This makes what, the 1,289th time loop movie in the last year?
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:34 pm I stopped at “living the same day over”. This makes what, the 1,289th time loop movie in the last year?
If only there were a scene with a bridge.