Post by Moat_Man »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:46 pmPolo
Orko
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
hepcat

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by hepcat »

I swear to god, if I have to get out of this pool...
Covfefe!
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m not falling for that again.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Hmmmm... Feels like someone may have completely missed the joke....

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You’ll get it eventually, don’t worry. :wink:
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:45 am You’ll get it eventually, don’t worry. :wink:
:P

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Can I say, I got it right away? Nice touch to use an Uncharted joke :lol:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:44 pm I haven't watched the special yet, but I've heard good things...

That was feckin' brilliant. Best thing I've seen come out of the pandemic. Will watch again.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I had no idea what expect from that Bo Burnham special, as I was only vaguely familiar with his work. I was not expecting that half-hilarious, half-utterly devastating performance.

That was amazing. :shock:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It's a masterpiece, and the man is just 30 years old. Who knows what he still has left to create? I had never heard of him before, but "Inside" made an instant fan out of me.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I watched 18 minutes and decided it wasn't my cup of tea.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Anybody else watching Katla?

It's this Icelandic Nordic Noir-y thingy with supernatural happenings going on. Set in a very small town near a volcano that has been erupting for a year. The setting is great--honestly, it looks like it's set on another planet (it's gritty ash-filled Iceland, not pretty waterfall Iceland). Two episodes in and I have no clue what is going on, but I'm intrigued and it's fun to hear people speak Viking.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:16 pm Anybody else watching Katla?

It's this Icelandic Nordic Noir-y thingy with supernatural happenings going on. Set in a very small town near a volcano that has been erupting for a year. The setting is great--honestly, it looks like it's set on another planet (it's gritty ash-filled Iceland, not pretty waterfall Iceland). Two episodes in and I have no clue what is going on, but I'm intrigued and it's fun to hear people speak Viking.
Not sure if posted already, but Ragnorok on Netflix is also pretty good. It's set in Edda, the place where Ragnorok supposedly took place. It's not a retelling of Norse mythology, but it's as if the gods have been reincarnated into modern day teenagers to fight the battle all over again. It's got a little bit of teen angst, but nowhere near CW Arrowverse. They also speak viking with subtitles.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:16 pm Anybody else watching Katla?

I put this on my watch list as it looks interesting. I'll give it a go now that I've heard back from someone that it's worth it. Thanks!
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Partners is teaming up with Netflix!

Thrilled to announce that the legendary filmmaker’s company will produce multiple new films for Netflix each year.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:36 pm half-hilarious, half-utterly devastating performance
Just watched this last night and that's a great way of summarizing it. Felt very emotionally raw - I would go from giddy laughter to serious worry in a brief moment.

From a pure comedy perspective, the entire 90 minutes would have been worth watching just for the White Woman's Instagram song.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Just finished The OA. While it was slow in parts, overall I'd rate it well above average. I just wish I knew it was cancelled as it didn't get a chance to wrap up (although there are rumors a third season may be coming).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:29 am
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:32 amI watched the first two eps of Cursed last night. It was good fun so far.
Finished this last night. While it's no Game of Thrones, it was fun for me. It's an interesting take on the Arthurian legend. Plenty of holes (some wooden acting, some episodes that were light on actual plot movement, and a bunch of tactical terribleness to serve the script), but a fun time overall.

A highlight for me is Gustaf Skarsgård as Merlin. He does a great job playing a... different version of the character, who--without spoiling too much--enters the series having been without magic for decades.

I'd recommend the show to anyone who likes this sort of thing. Properly set expectations and I think you'll enjoy it.

For those who aren't planning to watch it, or who just need a kick in the pants to do so...
Spoiler:
Definitely do not watch this clip if you plan to view the show, as it's a major final-episode spoiler.
Spoiler:
But it's oh-so-cool. I did warn you not to watch it, though, right?
Spoiler:
OK, fine, here it is. But you probably shouldn't watch it!
Spoiler:
When the whole show has been covering level one characters wielding the most powerful enchanted weapon in the world, and finally the level 100 wizard picks it up:

And, canceled. Ugh.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ironically, while The Ice Road is both filmed and set in Canada, it's not available on Netflix in Canada. They bought the streaming rights for the U.S, they didn't produce it. But meanwhile, all the promotional material points to being a Netflix Original which is confusing for those north of the Border. Although what's interesting is that I could have sworn I had seen it in the upcoming releases on Netflix itself and set a reminder for it a few weeks ago.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:03 pm Ironically, while The Ice Road is both filmed and set in Canada, it's not available on Netflix in Canada.
Did you post that just to make us jealous?
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yes, because I knew you, Hepcat, would come in here. :P

I just found it amusing given that there's been a lot of noise made about it via domestic interviews and such when it's not even available to stream here.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I haven't even watched a trailer for it, so I really don't have any room to talk. I'm just going by Liam's track record the last decade or so
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I watched the trailer and it dissuaded from watching the movie. Idiot savant ability is he can unscrew bolts quickly? Nope.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Hyena wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:30 pm

Started watching this today and it's really good! My enthusiasm for it went up when I realized it was created by the same writer-director that made Trapped, another great Icelandic series.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm going to watch the last episode tonight. The reveal from the penultimate episode was...interesting. Not what I expected, I must say.
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:02 pm

Started watching this today and it's really good! My enthusiasm for it went up when I realized it was created by the same writer-director that made Trapped, another great Icelandic series.
Ari Eldjárn is an Icelandic comedian who has a special on Netflix that references Trapped. He says the Icelandic people are not nearly as impressed with those shows as the rest of the world. :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And yet they adore the Bjork Variety Hour and Saturday Night Bjork. Go figure.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

stessier wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:09 pm

Ari Eldjárn is an Icelandic comedian who has a special on Netflix that references Trapped. He says the Icelandic people are not nearly as impressed with those shows as the rest of the world. :D
Do you mean to tell me they're keeping something even better for themselves? I mean, Trapped is really good, so it makes me curious to think there may be others that may be even better! :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
stessier

Post by stessier »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:42 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:09 pm

Do you mean to tell me they're keeping something even better for themselves? I mean, Trapped is really good, so it makes me curious to think there may be others that may be even better! :D
In case people would prefer to watch his special.
Spoiler:
Iceland only has 350k people. He notes that shows are different when you know the actors as "hey, that's so-and-so's cousin!" They also, apparently, take liberties with the settings. So they go into a building and are on the west side of the island and leave the building on the east side. Icelanders can't help but notice the geographical inconsistencies.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

stessier wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:58 pm
Spoiler:
Iceland only has 350k people. He notes that shows are different when you know the actors as "hey, that's so-and-so's cousin!" They also, apparently, take liberties with the settings. So they go into a building and are on the west side of the island and leave the building on the east side. Icelanders can't help but notice the geographical inconsistencies.
I guess I can sympathize with him, as I've personally felt the same way about some local productions including TV series and movies. There's one movie starring both Richard Dreyfuss and Tatiana Maslany which they filmed here in this city, and in it they're supposed to be going on a roadtrip out west. Hilariously enough, there's one scene where we stand in for a town with a view of the Rockies, which they edited in. And in a more minor example, there have been scenes where they're driving in the wrong direction for where they're headed. From a filmmaking perspective, I think directors will just take a shot that will end up looking the best in terms of lighting and composition without thought of being accurate. But for locals, they tend to notice the small details and inaccuracies which can sometimes make it hard to get into. And that feeling would only get more reinforced on an island with a limited slate of recurring actors, so yeah, I can understand the point he's making.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

We finished watching The Spy starring Sascha Baron Cohen and it was brilliant. I don't think I've seen a spy drama be so well written.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Holman

Post by Holman »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:16 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:58 pm
Spoiler:
I guess I can sympathize with him, as I've personally felt the same way about some local productions including TV series and movies. There's one movie starring both Richard Dreyfuss and Tatiana Maslany which they filmed here in this city, and in it they're supposed to be going on a roadtrip out west. Hilariously enough, there's one scene where we stand in for a town with a view of the Rockies, which they edited in. And in a more minor example, there have been scenes where they're driving in the wrong direction for where they're headed. From a filmmaking perspective, I think directors will just take a shot that will end up looking the best in terms of lighting and composition without thought of being accurate. But for locals, they tend to notice the small details and inaccuracies which can sometimes make it hard to get into. And that feeling would only get more reinforced on an island with a limited slate of recurring actors, so yeah, I can understand the point he's making.
New Yorkers routinely critique the geography/routes/travel-time of fictional characters in stories set in NYC. "They started at Union Square and then went to Zabar's and *then* went to the Empire State Building, all in one long lunch hour??"

The Philadelphia-set episode of Z Nation was apparently filmed in Spokane, but they were careful never to show a skyline except in an establishing wide-over-the-river shot.

My favorite geographical film error is the sloppy Vietnam movie (is it The Green Berets?) where we see the sun set over the ocean.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.