News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Grifman

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Grifman »

Watched Clooney's "Midnight Sk" last night and really enjoyed it. Had nice twist at the end I wasn't expecting, that packed a bit of emotional punch for me, at least.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:36 pm I watched Fate: The Winx Saga over the last week. :oops: It was objectively pretty terrible, but I'm a sucker for "high school, but magic!" premises so I enjoyed it well enough. But if you go into it thinking you'll get clear motives for any character's actions, or really any logic at all, you'll be pretty disappointed.
We just finished it last night and enjoyed it. For the most part I think the characters actions and motives were reasonable. There was one exception but I could still buy it. Yeah, it's not Ozark, but not everything has to be.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Grifman wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:59 pm Watched Clooney's "Midnight Sk[y]" last night and really enjoyed it. Had nice twist at the end I wasn't expecting, that packed a bit of emotional punch for me, at least.
It was OK, but:
Spoiler:
Where did the people who evacuated go? Weren't they just as doomed? And what of the astronauts who stayed on the ship, weren't they equally doomed?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Tao

Post by Tao »

I watched Midnight Sky a few weeks ago and it was okay, but I generally like Clooney, my complaint is the story feels like I started a book on chapter 2 and left off 20 pages before the book actually ends.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:08 pm
Grifman wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:59 pm Watched Clooney's "Midnight Sk[y]" last night and really enjoyed it. Had nice twist at the end I wasn't expecting, that packed a bit of emotional punch for me, at least.
It was OK, but:
Spoiler:
Where did the people who evacuated go? Weren't they just as doomed? And what of the astronauts who stayed on the ship, weren't they equally doomed?
Spoiler:
I would assume that the people who were evacuated either went home to die with their families or went to one of the underground shelters that were mentioned but I don't see how that really matters that much to the story.
Spoiler:
Uh, did you watch the same movie I did? :) The whole point of the movie was to warn the astronauts in the ship to not come down to earth and to figure out a path to get them back to the colonizable moon of Jupiter that they had discovered - which is what Clooney did - he put together a flight plan using a slingshot around earth to return them to the moon. Theoretically they could try and restart the human race.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Tao wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:47 pm I watched Midnight Sky a few weeks ago and it was okay, but I generally like Clooney, my complaint is the story feels like I started a book on chapter 2 and left off 20 pages before the book actually ends.

That's pretty much most Netflix movies for me. Very few actual gems in Netflix's library.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Meh, it still has more gems than most streaming services. I think they have a really robust selection of great foreign films and shows. And there are many original productions that get high marks too.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Grifman wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:03 pm
It was OK, but:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I would assume that the people who were evacuated either went home to die with their families or went to one of the underground shelters that were mentioned but I don't see how that really matters that much to the story.
Spoiler:
Uh, did you watch the same movie I did? :) The whole point of the movie was to warn the astronauts in the ship to not come down to earth and to figure out a path to get them back to the colonizable moon of Jupiter that they had discovered - which is what Clooney did - he put together a flight plan using a slingshot around earth to return them to the moon. Theoretically they could try and restart the human race.
I saw that but:
Spoiler:
You can't restart the human race with 3 people and limited resources. If nothing else, insufficient DNA diversity. Doomed.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:30 pm
Grifman wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:03 pm
It was OK, but:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I saw that but:
Spoiler:
You can't restart the human race with 3 people and limited resources. If nothing else, insufficient DNA diversity. Doomed.
Spoiler:
Don't be so sure:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2016 ... late-earth

And it's a movie after all. Two people as the basis for repopulation is a common trope.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:11 pm Meh, it still has more gems than most streaming services. I think they have a really robust selection of great foreign films and shows. And there are many original productions that get high marks too.
Their shows are stronger than their movies, IMHO. I've lost count how often I've come away disappointed in a Netflix movie.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I saw that but:
Spoiler:
My take on that:
Spoiler:
I don't think that was ever something the audience was expected to believe would happen. This is a father doing whatever he can to keep his daughter from dying right now. She's going to have a very hard life from here out and will either die on that moon or on the way there, but at least she won't be dying this week. It was not a happy ending and humanity was not saved. She was though, to some degree.
I still haven't come to an time where I can't find something that really interests me on Netflix. Not all movies are going to be as good as The Irishman and there are certainly a ton of stinkers. The good ones are there though. Plus it has a ton of stuff my kids like. Talk about spoiled. They'll never know the struggle to find something to watch like we did in the 70s.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

McNutt wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:39 am
I saw that but:
Spoiler:
My take on that:
Spoiler:
I don't think that was ever something the audience was expected to believe would happen. This is a father doing whatever he can to keep his daughter from dying right now. She's going to have a very hard life from here out and will either die on that moon or on the way there, but at least she won't be dying this week. It was not a happy ending and humanity was not saved. She was though, to some degree.
I still haven't come to an time where I can't find something that really interests me on Netflix. Not all movies are going to be as good as The Irishman and there are certainly a ton of stinkers. The good ones are there though. Plus it has a ton of stuff my kids like. Talk about spoiled. They'll never know the struggle to find something to watch like we did in the 70s.
In the '60s we had three channels -- four, on a good day if you fiddled with the UHF antenna. We watched what they gave us or we read a book. Now I have near-infinite TV and I bitch because it's hard to navigate and costs money and whatever the rest of the world is watching isn't on Netflix, Prime, or YTTV..
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:04 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:36 pm I watched Fate: The Winx Saga over the last week. :oops: It was objectively pretty terrible, but I'm a sucker for "high school, but magic!" premises so I enjoyed it well enough. But if you go into it thinking you'll get clear motives for any character's actions, or really any logic at all, you'll be pretty disappointed.
We just finished it last night and enjoyed it. For the most part I think the characters actions and motives were reasonable. There was one exception but I could still buy it. Yeah, it's not Ozark, but not everything has to be.
The biggest one for me was when
Spoiler:
the group of friends decide based on almost nothing to free a woman they know nothing about. And the main character has almost no critical thinking: if someone tells her one thing she'll immediately believe it until someone tells her the opposite. This happens like five times.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kraken wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:55 am In the '60s we had three channels -- four, on a good day if you fiddled with the UHF antenna. We watched what they gave us or we read a book.
AND I had to turn the channels UPHILL in a SNOW STORM! BOTH WAYS!
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:13 am
Kraken wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:55 am In the '60s we had three channels -- four, on a good day if you fiddled with the UHF antenna. We watched what they gave us or we read a book.
AND I had to turn the channels UPHILL in a SNOW STORM! BOTH WAYS!
You had channels? How nice.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:45 am
The biggest one for me was when
Spoiler:
the group of friends decide based on almost nothing to free a woman they know nothing about. And the main character has almost no critical thinking: if someone tells her one thing she'll immediately believe it until someone tells her the opposite. This happens like five times.
What I liked was that outside of 1-2 bit characters, the characters mostly weren't the one-dimensional teen HS stereotypes which would have been so easy to write and play.

As compared with Cursed, which I couldn't get more than 10 minutes into as it seemed incredibly determined to go with just about every single one-dimensional stereotype and trope it could throw into those first few minutes.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:32 pm
BTW, the following video makes for a worthwhile postscript after watching The Social Dilemma:

You know, I looked up a couple of the things that were mentioned in that Youtube video, and found them to not be true. Maybe things have been changed since it came out (doubtful), but I also have no reason to suspect this guy is saying things in a certain way for some nefarious purpose.

Example: at some point, we are shown the difference in output from searching between several search engines. I did the exact same search using Google, DuckDuckGo and some others, and they all were laid out the same. He makes quite a big deal about HOW the results are laid out on the page, indicating that they are leading you to a certain...answer. Not only did the resulting search output not match (in terms of the criticized layout by Google) what was in the video, the resulting content was pretty much the same across the board.

It doesn't make me want to switch back to Google (in fact, I have now gone out of my way (and it's not that easy) to wean myself off many things Google in favor of open-source, or more secure/less nosy options. I'm still fully on board with that idea (now that it might be too late! :P )
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:21 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:32 pm
BTW, the following video makes for a worthwhile postscript after watching The Social Dilemma:

You know, I looked up a couple of the things that were mentioned in that Youtube video, and found them to not be true. Maybe things have been changed since it came out (doubtful), but I also have no reason to suspect this guy is saying things in a certain way for some nefarious purpose.

Example: at some point, we are shown the difference in output from searching between several search engines. I did the exact same search using Google, DuckDuckGo and some others, and they all were laid out the same. He makes quite a big deal about HOW the results are laid out on the page, indicating that they are leading you to a certain...answer. Not only did the resulting search output not match (in terms of the criticized layout by Google) what was in the video, the resulting content was pretty much the same across the board.

It doesn't make me want to switch back to Google (in fact, I have now gone out of my way (and it's not that easy) to wean myself off many things Google in favor of open-source, or more secure/less nosy options. I'm still fully on board with that idea (now that it might be too late! :P )
I suspect what you're actually referring to here is 'The Creepy Line' documentary Jaymann posted, because the focus of the video you quote here has more to do with the lack of FOSS (Free & Open Source Software) mentioned as an alternative means to address the issues raised in The Social Dilemma documentary vs. their seemingly unilateral proposal of increased regulation being the only solution. The point being, the quoted video above does not illustrate differences in output from searching between different search engines.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:57 pm I wonder if they're going to half-ass it during the final season? Game of Thrones showrunners to adapt sci-fi epic The Three-Body Problem into Netflix series
Things change fast:
Five Republican US senators have asked Netflix to reconsider its plans to adapt the bestselling Chinese author Liu Cixin’s book The Three-Body Problem, citing Liu’s comments in support of the Chinese government’s treatment of Uighur Muslims.

In a letter to Netflix, the senators said they had “significant concerns with Netflix’s decision to do business with an individual who is parroting dangerous CCP propaganda”. The letter cites Liu’s interview with the New Yorker last year, in which the Chinese novelist was asked about the mass internment of Muslim Uighurs in Xinjiang.

“Would you rather that they be hacking away at bodies at train stations and schools in terrorist attacks? If anything, the government is helping their economy and trying to lift them out of poverty,” Liu said, adding: “If you were to loosen up the country a bit, the consequences would be terrifying.”
I believe I've met my quota of posting entertainment news that crosses into R&P, so Imma head out.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Oh wow, this one is gonna be interesting.

Hoffmans lived just down the street from my aunt and uncle when I was growing up. They were utterly shocked and devastated they were when this all came to light, and had no idea how twisted Mark actually was. I definitely remember the bombings, although as kids we didn't really understand the extent of the insanity.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A Zack Snyder film. On Netflix May 21.

Following a zombie outbreak in Las Vegas, a group of mercenaries take the ultimate gamble, venturing into the quarantine zone to pull off the greatest heist ever attempted.

Starring Dave Bautista, Ella Purnell, Ana de la Reguera, Matthias Schweighöfer, Nora Arnezeder, Hiroyuki Sanada, Raúl Castillo, Michael Cassidy, and Garret Dillahunt.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

So the DC films are dark and gritty, but the zombie apocalypse is full of sun and color. Got it.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Dave Bautista vs zombies? I'm in.
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:23 pm Dave Bautista vs zombies? I'm in.
My thought exactly.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:26 pm
My thought exactly.
And with some wise ass quips hopefully from Tig Notaro to top it off.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Grifman wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:03 pmMidnight Sky
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I assumed, given what seemed like a number of operational manned space systems mentioned, that there was a method for people to escape, and those people may have been headed towards any colonizable location. I just can't see a big "drop everything" rush to flee to bunkers that would extend human life by a week or two. I felt they were leaving the planet entirely - or those who could would be.

IIRC, the main character, at the beginning of the movie, was said to be the "last living person on earth and still dying of cancer". I felt his mission was to save any and every life he could, and the astronauts needed his help.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I noticed a new documentary series about Samurai popped up on Netflix today.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:26 pm
My thought exactly.
No zombie can bite him.....because he is too fast. His reflexes would avoid it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And more importantly, Garrett Dillahunt
He won. Period.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:10 pm
And more importantly, Garrett Dillahunt
I couldn't steal your thunder by commenting on him first.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Seems kinda heavy. But I dig it.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Grishaverse Shadow & Bone drops 4/23/21 these were some fun fantasy books. Bardugo's Ninth House was a lot of fun too!

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Netflix's The Division movie is still happening – and it has some big names
The recent wave of game-to-movie projects shows no signs of stopping, with Netflix revealing its long-in-development adaptation of Ubisoft’s looter-shooter, The Division, is still on the way – and with some brand new talent attached.

Set to star Brokeback Mountain’s Jake Gyllenhaal and Interstellar’s Jessica Chastain, the latest report from Deadline surrounding production sees original director David Leitch (of Deadpool 2 fame) step now instead into a producer role following scheduling conflicts with his current project, Bullet Train.

He’s to be replaced by Rawson Marshall Thurber, director of Netflix's upcoming The Rock film Red Notice, Skyscraper and Dodgeball, who will also be co-writing the script with Ellen Shanman.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Watched Tesla on Netflix, the movie starring Ethan Hawke and how I wish for a better more meaningful moving about him. It's lower than low-budget, almost presented like a play with fake backdrops and filled with modern music. At one point, Ethan Hawke as Tesla starts singing Tears for Fears' 'Everybody Wants to Rule the World', I kid you not.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:58 pm Watched Tesla on Netflix, the movie starring Ethan Hawke and how I wish for a better more meaningful moving about him. It's lower than low-budget, almost presented like a play with fake backdrops and filled with modern music. At one point, Ethan Hawke as Tesla starts singing Tears for Fears' 'Everybody Wants to Rule the World', I kid you not.
Shit....now I have to watch it.....
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I liked the Current War. Tesla is a relatively minor character in it, but I enjoyed it.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:08 am I liked the Current War. Tesla is a relatively minor character in it, but I enjoyed it.
I haven't seen that one. I know it was supposed to come out, and I was interested in seeing it, but I think it was one of those that was delayed due to the Pandemic or received little attention. I know there was also another movie in production.

FWIW, there's a very good novel called The Last Days of Night by Graham Moore that tells the story. It was an excellent read.

But this Ethan Hawke movie was just F'n weird. You have JP Morgan's daughter narrating events in a pseudo documentary style overlaid with historical photos, so you think it's at least somewhat true to life, and to be fair some of the events match what's been recounted in the above novel. But then it takes a sharp left turn into absurdity with Tesla singing that song. It feels like a Rickroll.
stimpy wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:06 pm Shit....now I have to watch it.....
Well maybe you won't have to watch the entire movie. Just found the clip on Youtube.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

We blew through it all this week. Surpassed my expectations. Looking forward to the next season. When's that coming?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:24 pm I Care a Lot

Man, Rosamund Pike is the berk you love to hate.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter