News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Zaxxon »

Lassr wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:19 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:28 pm Sorry, not going to read through a 47 page thread to see if this one's been mentioned, but I highly recommend Love, Death + Robots to almost everyone here*. New "season" drops in a few days I think.
Yea, great to know. I loved about 75% of the episodes during season 1.
I blew through Season 2 last night (only 8 episodes, as they've split what would have been S2 into S2 and an upcoming S3). Loved most of them, and none were bad. Pop Squad, Snow in the Desert, and The Drowned Giant were particularly fantastic. The animation is spectacular throughout.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Army of the Dead. So many things made no sense for no reason at all. It was like they tried to fit every trope or dumb plot device from every zombie movie and put it together. I actually liked the actors and most of the characters (despite the poorly written lines and complete lack of character development). I thought it was an interesting concept (having a heist movie within a zombie movie). There were a few nice action sequences. Well, one, I guess; the one with the first girl to die had a nice action scene only to die while everyone else watched. It boggles my mind how everything they did with zombies was so poorly done. It's too bad because I think there was the concept of a good movie there.
The biggest issue with the movie, however, was
Spoiler:
getting an actor like Garret Dillahunt and having him play the most generic bad guy ever. Dillahunt is such a great actor and his talent was completely wasted here.
This could go down as the worst zombie movie ever made. I'd rather watch Zombeavers.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Holman

Post by Holman »

Rumpy wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:47 pm In this case, Kevin Hart plays the ex-con and turns in one of his best performances (IMHO), while Bryan Cranston absolutely shines as the paraplegic.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

gameoverman wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:59 am Stuff like the convoy is more difficult for me to accept. They are a special assignment operating from a high security area. I'm supposed to believe they have no preset plan on what to do in the event of basic potential problems like a crash? The guy in charge really has to call in and wait for instructions? That's the kind of thing that I can't explain away other than to say this is really stupid. I mean, if you're the commander back at the base and you send them out like that it means you won't be telling them to clear the area until after you've been told the thing is open. It's too late at that point. I think it would have been more tense and shocking if those guys were completely prepared for problems like this and they immediately started dealing with the problem and still got wiped out.
Plus, whenever the government is moving sensitive material along roads, they have advance and trailing teams in place to clear away civilian traffic. The convoy would have been preceded by other soldiers/cops miles ahead making sure that no oncoming traffic could cause a problem.

Also, where was the convoy going, exactly? Was there some place in the Southwest *more* secure than Area 51 for keeping the alpha zombie?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:10 pm
Lassr wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:19 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:28 pm Sorry, not going to read through a 47 page thread to see if this one's been mentioned, but I highly recommend Love, Death + Robots to almost everyone here*. New "season" drops in a few days I think.
Yea, great to know. I loved about 75% of the episodes during season 1.
I blew through Season 2 last night (only 8 episodes, as they've split what would have been S2 into S2 and an upcoming S3). Loved most of them, and none were bad. Pop Squad, Snow in the Desert, and The Drowned Giant were particularly fantastic. The animation is spectacular throughout.
Agreed on all counts, especially about the animation. Truly stunning, and worth the watch all by itself.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:54 pm the one with the first girl to die had a nice action scene only to die while everyone else watched.
They were literally 10 feet away. A light jog was the only thing between her death and her survival. Yet they felt that was too much for them? That scene made me chuckle.
Covfefe!
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:11 am
EvilHomer3k wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:54 pm the one with the first girl to die had a nice action scene only to die while everyone else watched.
They were literally 10 feet away. A light jog was the only thing between her death and her survival. Yet they felt that was too much for them? That scene made me chuckle.
Yeah, it's a team of people who survived the Vegas Apocalypse, are trained mercenaries, and know what they're going into yet they seem to have no idea how a gun works or what to do when a zombie attacks (other than the girl who died, of course).
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The final season of Kim's Convenience is now up on Netflix.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:19 pm The final season of Kim's Convenience is now up on Netflix.
and my wife will only let me watch one episode a day. Plus side? It lasts longer.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stessier wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:56 pm Just finished Jupiter's Legacy. It is slow, but there is a payoff. I liked it. It had better get another season.
Nope
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:47 pm
stessier wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:56 pm Just finished Jupiter's Legacy. It is slow, but there is a payoff. I liked it. It had better get another season.
Nope
Drat.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

stessier wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:27 am
Nope
Drat.
Yeah, that was a quite enjoyable show. I didn't find it to be fantastic but consistently good and well written.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I know the second half of S5 of Lucifer dropped last Friday without making a big splash, but I'm enjoying what I've seen so far. In the first new episode (S5 Ep9) there's a scene with Mazikeen where she's portrayed for the first time (I think) as she was in the Sandman comics. I don't know if that was an intentional nod, but I thought it was cool.

Also, there's a musical episode (as all shows are now required to do), which feels long overdue. :)

Anyway, I figured I'd mention it. Not sure when the final season (S6) will air, but I'm guessing mid to late 2022 then. I'm still quite thankful this show was given a new life on Netflix and able to finish.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The musical episode was kind of a miss for me. First off, no one but Chris Isaak can sing Wicked Games. It simply does not work with anyone else. Other than that, I should have liked it, but I ended up fast forwarding through all the numbers (I did that last with the dreadful black and white episode in the first half of the season).

I am watching it, but I think the magic kind of disappeared for me after the second season. I feel like I'm just watching it now as someone who's a completionist.
EvilHomer3k wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:08 am
Nope
Drat.
Yeah, that was a quite enjoyable show. I didn't find it to be fantastic but consistently good and well written.

I didn't really like it at first, but it eventually found its footing, I felt. I was looking forward to seeing how the oftentimes radically different moral codes of the two generations would play out in season 2.
Covfefe!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:24 am First off, no one but Chris Isaak can sing Wicked Games. It simply does not work with anyone else.
My friend's band used to do a rocking, uptempo cover of Wicked Game that just killed. You didn't even recognize the song until the chorus. The "No IIIIIIIIIII" part was basically a scream.

I have never seen this show and otherwise have no idea what you're talking about (as usual).
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's a musical featuring a cast entirely made up of mimes.

side note: i just found out that the criminally underrated Chris Isaak's Show from years ago is available on youtube. Apparently it's never been released on DVD/Bluray or any streaming service. That's a shame as it was an incredibly funny show that was basically Curb Your Enthusiasm with musicians.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:24 am I am watching it, but I think the magic kind of disappeared for me after the second season. I feel like I'm just watching it now as someone who's a completionist.
:(

I could watch him chew scenery all day; I still enjoy every minute of every episode. But I also totally get watching it to completion.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Nope
Drat.
Cmon....they gave it a whole month to find it's audience.
If it's not a smash hit within that timeframe, it must be a dud that's worth cancelling.......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If they really paid $200 million the cancellation shouldn't be a surprise; that's insane money. The would have needed Tiger-King levels of interest and hype to get that investment back, I'd think.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Where did the 200 million go? I mean, as far as special effects go, Jupiter's Legacy wasn't terribly good. It was passable, but I've seen better on low budget shows and movies. It couldn't have been put towards casting as no one on that show was what I would call even a middle tier name.

Maybe that 200 million includes what they paid for the Millarworld catalog they licensed?

And I wonder what happens now with that potential franchise? Sounds like they're going to do the spinoff based on (I assume) the guy with the rod, or his friends or something. But they had a whole list of comics from Millar that they were going to be bringing to life. If the first one failed, that doesn't bode well for the rest of the stuff.

Also, I could bring them a tentpole series with an antihero that will "stick" with audiences...and at a fraction of the cost of this so called Millarworld. Stupid executives and their "it has to make friggin' sense" demands. :hand:
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Do you think they read my post about the first episode? Geez, sorry guys.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Out today:

Sweet Tooth

naednek

Post by naednek »

Finished binge watching all 6 seasons of Longmire. I loved it, but didn't like the finale. I didn't like the all of the sudden love tension between Walt and Vic. The whole thing was stupid.

Other than that, fun show.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just finished first episode of Sweet Tooth. I like it. It’s heartwarming, yet also has an edge as the world really had gone to shit by the time our young hero leaves his sheltered home.

Also, one of the stars was the main villain in the final season of Into the Badlands. He has a great screen presence.

Reviews are overwhelmingly positive from both critics and audiences on RT. That’s encouraging.

Oh, and the soundtrack is fantastic.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Agree - I really enjoyed the first episode. The comics are on DC Universe. I'm debating whether to read the comics before continuing so I can appreciate how they translate it to the screen, or just go ahead and finish it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I did the same. They’re in my library on DC Universe/Infinite/whatever they call it these days, but I don’t want to spoil the show’s story.
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I haven't watched the special yet, but I've heard good things...

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:19 pm The final season of Kim's Convenience is now up on Netflix.
Uh-oh, Kim's Convenience stars decry 'racist' storylines and lack of diversity. (BBC link)
Co-stars Simu Liu and Jean Yoon voiced their frustrations on social media with an "overwhelmingly white" production team and "overtly racist" storylines.
They said the writers' room lacked diverse voices yet declined their creative input.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, I saw that article earlier this week. Not great.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Funny thing is, I thought I'd seen that years ago, or possibly something like it, maybe a Canadian movie. It's possibly a remake?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I don't know about that (and I don't see anything on Wikipedia about it being a remake), but at first I just assumed it was this (from 2019, which was a remake):

Enlarge Image

Which I wouldn't particularly recommend. I adore Neeson, and his films are scores better than the likes of yesteryear's churn-'em-out action stars. But I still wish he and his agent(s) had chosen his projects better during his late-career action/thriller renaissance.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

In Order of Disappearance, which Cold Pursuit is a remake of as you mentioned, is outstanding.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sudy wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:24 am I don't know about that (and I don't see anything on Wikipedia about it being a remake), but at first I just assumed it was this (from 2019, which was a remake):

Which I wouldn't particularly recommend. I adore Neeson, and his films are scores better than the likes of yesteryear's churn-'em-out action stars. But I still wish he and his agent(s) had chosen his projects better during his late-career action/thriller renaissance.
No, it wasn't that one. Would have been several years ago. This one is too recent. It's amusing though that Liam Neeson stars in two snowbound movies relatively close together. The movie I had thought I'd seen would have been an on-demand release, and those don't always get catalogued. I've often watched a movie, tried to look on IMDB and found no info.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:41 am In Order of Disappearance, which Cold Pursuit is a remake of as you mentioned, is outstanding.
This. Very much this.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Maybe he just likes the cold.

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:28 pm
and my wife will only let me watch one episode a day. Plus side? It lasts longer.
TWSS.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

From Executive Producer Kevin Smith, comes an epic story that picks up where the 80’s series left off and brings the power of Grayskull back to the world. Part 1 of Masters of the Universe: Revelation premieres July 23, only on Netflix.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Holy shit, the little specter-wizard guy did something!
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Freyland wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:14 pm Holy shit, the little specter-wizard guy did something!
Orko
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯