Teach me of maple syrups

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Teach me of maple syrups

Post by Daehawk »

I have been poor my entire life. All Ive ever had is Log Cabin, Mrs Buttersworth and the like. Corn syrup and high fructose stuff. Ive never had real maple syrup.

That changes next trip to Walmart. I crave pancakes and I want real syrup. Now I love the ones Ive always had. I just want to see what the real thing is like. But its high. Like $8 - $14 for a small bottle. This will most likely be a one time shot. So any brands that are good that I can get at Walmart or the like? Or is all real maple syrup the same? And is it really better than the cheap stuff?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Shinjin

Re: Teach me of maple syrups

Post by Shinjin »

Well, there is a grade system. Google the specifics, but A is lighter in color, B is darker. Generally the darker it gets, the more maple-y the flavor.

If you have the opportunity, screw walmart and go straight to a local farmer. Though that's going to be more likely a possibility the closer to Canada that you get...
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'm not sure of the variety you'll have at your local Walmart. (I'm not saying they won't have anything worthwhile; I just don't know.) I presume you want to look for something labelled 100% pure maple syrup, potentially with a state or province of origin (Vermont and Quebec are common, though that's probably what the knockoffs try to claim as well). Not something that simply contains a percentage of the real thing (though such blends may still be a worthy improvement on table syrup).

My cousins used to operate an authentic sugar bush in New Brunswick, but unfortunately they haven't had the manpower to run it the last several years. I wish I could send you some of theirs.

Regardless, while it's nice for a treat we don't usually bother with anything but table syrup for the same reasons... the real stuff is just so expensive (but understandable considering the labour involved).

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Shinjin wrote:Well, there is a grade system. Google the specifics, but A is lighter in color, B is darker. Generally the darker it gets, the more maple-y the flavor.
Ah yes... and a lighter grade doesn't necessarily mean "less good"; just, I believe, that it's harvested earlier. So lighter/darker grades might be desirable for different uses/recipes. For pancakes you probably (but not necessarily) want something a little darker.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
funnygirl

Post by funnygirl »

I'd only ever had the usual supermarket syrups as well. One year for Christmas I was given a bottle of real Maple Syrup from a friend in Canada. I really didn't care for it as it was just too strong a flavor and overpowered whatever I put it on. I'm sure anyone who grew up with the real thing would find the Log Cabin variety insipid, but I'll stick with what I've always known. YMMV

Honey on the other hand, I find I like much better when purchased from local vendors as farmer's markets.
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Looks like they sell Maple Grove Farms. That's out of Vermont. It'll be fine. I've had lots of their stuff (been to their stores more than once).

These days I get my syrup at CostCo and order my maple cream from various places in Vermont.

The Great Value brand is apparently Walmart's brand. And enough of the reviews are bad that it is probably not worth saving a dollar to go with the store brand...

Also, I just shake my head at "organic" maple syrup. Don't buy into that hype. Regular is fine.

Personally, I prefer grade B. It's dark and, in my opinion, richer. But most syrup sold in stores is going to be a grade A Amber. It's lighter, and probably "looks better". :) But it will taste just fine.

Your biggest danger is that you may not be able to go back to the pretend crap any more. :ninja:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

My parents went on a cruise last Fall to Nova Scotia and they brought back a bottle of real Maple syrup. I'd never had real Maple syrup before and I was hesitant to use it because I never use syrup on my foods because it tastes gross. However, this stuff was AMAZING. Like...I would use it all the time if I could. The taste was unreal in comparison to the fake-ass syrup I've apparently been ingesting my whole life. I used it sparingly but the bottle ran out a month or so ago. I miss it.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looking at reviews on Walmarts stuff near me it seems there is a gripe about how some places dont cook it down enough and its too watery...thin and no flavor. When it comes in a bottle that doesn't allow you to view it that would be a problem.

TheMix - Maple Grove Farms...Okk check that one out in store and see if they actually have it on shelves.

Sudy Nym - As you say this is my chance to try it. But like you I may just end up liking the stuff I grew up on more. Hope so as its cheap hahah. I never had a problem with it..in fact I love the cheap fake stuff because I did grow up on it. But I refuse to die without trying real maple syrup once. :)
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm such a heathen. I've had maple syrup from Maine or wherever and I swear to Kurt Rambis that I didn't find it any better than Log Cabin.

Now I don't use syrup but a couple of times a year so it's no big loss. I'd still like to do a Pepsi challenge with it though because that indifference can't be right.
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

I also grew up on the fake stuff. i currently like the real stuff much better. Our personal solution to the cost problem has been to have pancakes less often :)

I'm partial to the grade A, one of my sons prefers B since he likes the stronger maple flavor. Santa gave him some super-dark grade B last year...

McNutt - your blind taste test would have to literally include you being blindfolded. Since real maple syrup's consistency is thinner, it does not sit on top of your pancake/waffle like the glob of mucous that most table syrups behave like. You would know the difference at a glance.

Daehawk - the walmart reviews sound like idiots expecting the consistency of maple syrup to match the aforementioned glob of mucous. And the flavor complaint is likely based on consuming grade A vs grade B. The reviews might be analogous to someone who is used to driving an old Buick test driving a Ferrari and then complaining that they got to their destination too quickly and the trip didn't smell like burnt oil.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

lol
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

I grew up on Log Cabin and the first time I tried real maple syrup I didn't like it - I've forgotten why (possibly not sweet enough?) but now I love it and will never go back.
Usually we get grade A Amber because we can't find grade A Light. Man, that stuff is awesome!
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Somebody gave us a jug of VT maple syrup a few years ago. It is still in the pantry, unopened. Wife hates maple flavor and I'm indifferent to sweets in general, so I don't even use it for cooking. Pancakes are one of the few foods that always put me in a glycemic stupor, probably because of the syrup (and isn't syrup the whole point of pancakes?), so I never eat them.

If it's in a sealed container, does maple syrup go bad? Wondering if I should just throw it away. The jug is airtight and opaque.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: When it comes in a bottle that doesn't allow you to view it that would be a problem.

Not necessarily true. Some of Canada's best selling maple syrup comes in jugs that you can't see through. Also comes in canisters. Most of the stuff you see in clear bottles are sold in smaller quantities at higher markeup.

We also have maple candies sold in bulk stores.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Living in Maine and attending a few maple events in the spring, I know enough to be dangerous, but not enough to be overly helpful. The whole process involves boiling down maple sap. The boiling process is where they get their Grades. Darker is just boiled longer and is a denser sugar/maple flavor. I prefer a stronger maple flavor, personally, and bought the Dark.

We used to get Log Cabin at home for our pancakes. My wife doesn't like pure maple syrup and I wasn't strongly enthralled with the real stuff to bother with more than a pint or two a year. What I do love, though, are maple sugar candies. Again, just not enough to seek them out any other time than maple festivals. A glass gallon jug of real maple syrup from the local farmer ran $70 the last time I looked at buying it. I only looked, though.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

My sister quit her job early this spring to start a syrup business. She's doing it all herself with a little help from her kids and our Dad.

She leased/acquired access to about 70 trees. This wasn't a great year for the sap run but she collected something like 700 gallons. Hauled it all by hand and boiled it over a wood fire in my Dad's back yard. She did sugar maples and a few red maples. The red maple syrup is REALLY good, that's the stuff that never hits the market...floral and woody and smoky. Great stuff!

She wants to expand next year and make a real go at this as a business. She makes the candies too but those have pretty much sold out.

Anybody wanna buy a jug?
Chrisoc13

Teach me of maple syrups

Post by Chrisoc13 »

I love real maple.

They recently changed the grading system so it's all grade a because it was slightly confusing. It was grading for purity for cooking not for maple flavor. But people didn't understand that so grade a became most popular even though it does not have a real strong maple flavor. So now that people are using maple more alone they have changed the grading to describe by color and flavor, but all are grade A.

I prefer grade A dark robust taste, but it's hard to find unless you are in a maple area. Here in new England it's relatively easy to find. The darker the maple the more rich the maple flavor.

Almost guaranteed all they will have at Walmart will be grade A amber color rich taste as that is the most common. Even here in Maine I either have to go to a specialty store or a farmers market or sugar shack to get the other grades.

That being said grade A amber is still very good, and any real maple syrup is better than the fake stuff.
Last edited by Chrisoc13 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Z-Corn wrote:My sister quit her job early this spring to start a syrup business. She's doing it all herself with a little help from her kids and our Dad.

She leased/acquired access to about 70 trees. This wasn't a great year for the sap run but she collected something like 700 gallons. Hauled it all by hand and boiled it over a wood fire in my Dad's back yard. She did sugar maples and a few red maples. The red maple syrup is REALLY good, that's the stuff that never hits the market...floral and woody and smoky. Great stuff!

She wants to expand next year and make a real go at this as a business. She makes the candies too but those have pretty much sold out.

Anybody wanna buy a jug?

Save some money. There are good years and bad years. My dad only taps about a half dozen trees and doesn't have a complex set up. During good years, it's a lot of work. He drains about 20 5 gallon buckets several times a day during the good season and can't keep up. Other years he gets almost nothing.

My old man also does the hand boiling over a wood fire with no hydrometer or anything. He doesn't store in jugs though. He saves every glass jar with a theoretically resealable cap and then seals his syrup in the microwave. He doesn't do resales but he supplies the entire extended family and then we also cook with it. Maple syrup with the absolute fucking whip when it comes to substituting for brown sugar... So good... especially in like BBQ sauce.

His one problem is that he's decided he likes a smokey syrup and I think that's nasty.

For good years if you have a good set up there is money to be made if you have a market to sell to. Maple syrup is friggen expensive. My brother-in-law has a friend who quit his job as skilled trades man to move up north and build a maple syrup farm. He's went all modern and has collection hoses and pumps running from tree to tree over hundreds of tress and has a whole professional boiler rig and everything.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Costco has pretty good prices on 100% Maple syrup. Much better that the local supermarkets do. Its clearly a matter of taste as to whether you prefer actual maple syrup over colored high fructose corn syrup but growing up in Michigan we always had access to real quality maple syrup so for me its no contest. To me commercial syrup ranks slightly above thickened sugar water.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

That Aunt Jemima taps a mean tree!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Kraken wrote:If it's in a sealed container, does maple syrup go bad? Wondering if I should just throw it away. The jug is airtight and opaque.
My vague recollection is 'yes and no'. That is, over time maple syrup will get some funkiness... a sort of white scum on the top. However, I believe that, should you find anything like that, that you can simply bring it to a boil and skim off the unwanted stuff. I'm sure Googling will give you more info. But the quick version is that you should still be able to use it.

Something I learned in Dendrology is that all maple species can be used to make syrup. However, most of them aren't worth the trouble. In general it takes 40 gallons of Sugar Maple sap to make one gallon of syrup. It takes a lot more for the other species (100+ gallons of sap to 1 gallon of syrup).

We have started having waffles about once a week. CostCo has a really easy mix that is both simple and tasty. I also use maple syrup in a granola recipe. So our syrup doesn't sit around too long. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

TheMix wrote:
Kraken wrote:If it's in a sealed container, does maple syrup go bad? Wondering if I should just throw it away. The jug is airtight and opaque.
My vague recollection is 'yes and no'. That is, over time maple syrup will get some funkiness... a sort of white scum on the top. However, I believe that, should you find anything like that, that you can simply bring it to a boil and skim off the unwanted stuff. I'm sure Googling will give you more info. But the quick version is that you should still be able to use it.

Something I learned in Dendrology is that all maple species can be used to make syrup. However, most of them aren't worth the trouble. In general it takes 40 gallons of Sugar Maple sap to make one gallon of syrup. It takes a lot more for the other species (100+ gallons of sap to 1 gallon of syrup).

We have started having waffles about once a week. CostCo has a really easy mix that is both simple and tasty. I also use maple syrup in a granola recipe. So our syrup doesn't sit around too long. :D
According to my dad, if it's been cooked and sealed it's pretty much good foreverish (which he does in the microwave). Once it's opened it will stay good for a very very very long time as long as you keep it in the fridge.

Also he does 80:1 (ish, he has no hydrometer) for his maples. That's what he learned in a pancake house that inspired him to farm his own syrup.
dfs

Post by dfs »

Consumer grade maple flavored corn syrup is nasty.

Real Maple syrup is clear tasting and wonderful. The only problem with real maple syrup is that it turns pancakes into little glycemic bombs. Can't have them more than once a month. It's a sure way to a morning nap.
Z-Corn wrote:My sister quit her job early this spring to start a syrup business. She's doing it all herself with a little help from her kids and our Dad.

Anybody wanna buy a jug?
#1 This sounds like a great retirement gig.
#2 learn me the difference between red maple syrup and other kinds.
#3 How much is a jug?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The only syrup I can have is sugar-free, which only comes from artificial maple trees. The real stuff would put me in a diabetic coma.
Black Lives Matter
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I had a GF that was super into maple candy, which I guess is what you get if you continue to boil sap past syrup consistency.

got nuthin'
There is no hug button. Sad!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

killbot737 wrote:I had a GF that was super into maple candy, which I guess is what you get if you continue to boil sap past syrup consistency.

got nuthin'
I was going to recommend that, but probably not available at Wal-Mart.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Just came across this today- Syrup Wars!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

dfs wrote:Consumer grade maple flavored corn syrup is nasty.

Real Maple syrup is clear tasting and wonderful. The only problem with real maple syrup is that it turns pancakes into little glycemic bombs. Can't have them more than once a month. It's a sure way to a morning nap.
Z-Corn wrote:Anybody wanna buy a jug?
#3 How much is a jug?
#1 Or mid-life adjustment?

#2 I am not completely sure the difference, I just know that the red maple syrup taste more "wild" and more floral. The sugar content is different so the yield is way less. We all only got a few ounces to taste, like one breakfast worth.

#3 Prices: Quart -$20
Pint -$12
Half-pint -$6
Small -$3
And the candy is basically $1 an ounce. Plus shipping unless you are local to GR, MI.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

rshetts2 wrote:Costco has pretty good prices on 100% Maple syrup. Much better that the local supermarkets do.
Walgreens does honey and syrup deals every few weeks. I always try to stay stocked up so the wife doesn't buy the stuff at Whole Foods.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

All you poor people. Us Vermonters can just go to the nearest tree and turn on a tap to get the best syrup in the world!

True story, I tried that when I was about 6 years old and was horribly disappointed with the result. My mother thought it was funny so we harvested the sap from all of our trees and she showed me how time intensive it is to make homemade maple syrup. We started with three full buckets of sap, poured it into a huge pot on our wood stove, and after a couple days of slowly adding more sap to it as it cooked down, we ended up with a couple cups of syrup. I learned later that the big producers would have cooked down what we made even further, about 35-40 to 1 depending on desired sugar content. In case you ever wanted to know why the real stuff is so expensive.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Alefroth wrote:Just came across this today- Syrup Wars!
Almighty Bob. I'm going to boycott Canadian-produced syrup ...not that we consume anything but the locally made stuff already, but damn.

I wanted to punch that guy in the mouth when he showed up demanding to know why that "rebel" syrup producer wasn't paying his dues to an organization he wasn't a member of. F&#k them.
Black Lives Matter

Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Z-Corn wrote:

Z-Corn wrote:Anybody wanna buy a jug?
#3 How much is a jug?
#1 Or mid-life adjustment?

#2 I am not completely sure the difference, I just know that the red maple syrup taste more "wild" and more floral. The sugar content is different so the yield is way less. We all only got a few ounces to taste, like one breakfast worth.

#3 Prices: Quart -$20
Pint -$12
Half-pint -$6
Small -$3
And the candy is basically $1 an ounce. Plus shipping unless you are local to GR, MI.
Are those prices for the red maple syrup? OMG - I would buy a quart of that from you. My spousal unit is a Vermonter at heart (his father was born and raised in Vermont) and I'd bet he'd love that stuff.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Bad Demographic wrote: Are those prices for the red maple syrup? OMG - I would buy a quart of that from you. My spousal unit is a Vermonter at heart (his father was born and raised in Vermont) and I'd bet he'd love that stuff.
No, sorry if that wasn't clear. The prices are for the sugar maple syrup. There was only enough red maple syrup for each family member to get a 4 oz. jar, about enough for one serving.
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Z-Corn wrote:
Bad Demographic wrote: Are those prices for the red maple syrup? OMG - I would buy a quart of that from you. My spousal unit is a Vermonter at heart (his father was born and raised in Vermont) and I'd bet he'd love that stuff.
No, sorry if that wasn't clear. The prices are for the sugar maple syrup. There was only enough red maple syrup for each family member to get a 4 oz. jar, about enough for one serving.
Clearly you need to plant/acquire more red maples. ;)

We used to pick up maple syrup from a farm in upstate New York when we growing up. We'd have to go by on our way to visit family up in Ontario.

So good.
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
dfs

Post by dfs »

Z-Corn wrote:

I don't want for many things in my life. Many things do not appeal to me and I'm comfortable enough to acquire most things I need.

Now and again something scratches my itch and becomes THE thing I would like to do/own/eat.

I think I've found that thing for the near future.

THIS is my quest.

If it's not readily for sale....I need to make some new friends. I'll put out the call on the dfs-web and see who I know locally who knows somebody who makes maple syrup....
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dfs wrote: If it's not readily for sale....I need to make some new friends. I'll put out the call on the dfs-web and see who I know locally who knows somebody who makes maple syrup....
Even Google did not come up with a pure red maple syrup, however, there are a few blends where it's mixed with sugar maple syrup. Even that's quite expensive, you probably don't want to do your David Letterman impression with the stuff.
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I've never in my life had real maple syrup. Growing up it was always the usual suspects and as an adult I just never moved up to anything else. I've never eaten breakfast at the kind of place that would serve something like that either.

Once in a while I'd see the price of real maple syrup in a store and I'd laugh. If I was going to spend a premium for a quality something, it's not going to be syrup. However, reading this thread has made me change my mind. I think some real maple syrup is in my future now, because I just have to taste the difference for myself.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

The main reason that I won't ever order pancakes or waffles in a restaurant. Once you get used to the real stuff, there is no going back to the pretend crap. No thanks.

We used the pretend stuff growing up because my mom couldn't afford the real stuff. Not with 5 kids.

Once I realized that cost was no longer a factor, I made the switch. And haven't looked back.

I will note that some people don't like the real stuff because it's "too strong" or "too sweet". It can take getting used to. I once brought back maple sugar candy for the people in my office. When my co-worker spit it out because it was "too sweet", I quickly learned that it wasn't a good idea. After that I got the blended candies for work.

I still give out jars of maple cream for Christmas gifts. They generally go over really well.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Also, for someone that is trying real maple syrup for the first time, you may want to warm the syrup up (I generally just microwave for a bit but a friend likes to warm in a pan of water on the stove). This thins it out quite a bit, so you will probably use less; and maybe not overdose on sweetness. A little actually goes a long way. Plus, it's just nicer to have warm syrup.

Black Lives Matter

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

TheMix wrote:I will note that some people don't like the real stuff because it's "too strong" or "too sweet". It can take getting used to.
My wife doesn't care for anything but the lightest maple syrup in small quantities. It is simply pure sugar flavored naturally by the tree, boiled down into a thick, delicious drizzle. It's not a smooth blend of three kinds of chemically combined sugar with artificial flavoring.

While you might drown your pancakes in "tradtitional" syrup, I prefer to use Maple as a side in a small (like teacup) bowl. I gently dip my pancakes in there to flavor them. No good comes of slathering on a thick coating that the pancake soaks up.
Black Lives Matter