Hulu originals

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Hulu originals

Post by Isgrimnur »

B-D
“The Book of Blood” centers on a psychic researcher who hires a medium to investigate a haunted house. ... Its follow-up, “On Jerusalem Street,” follows a man tracking down the book.

Alas, it looks like the overarching stories are the only ones from Barker’s collections that were actually adapted for Hulu’s movie. In a chat with Robert Irvine Magazine earlier this year, Brannon Braga noted that the other stories are brand new originals, not present in the “Books of Blood” collections. The good news? Clive Barker did help conjure the stories up.

Braga explained, “So, the movie, which was written by Adam Simon and me — and based on one original story from Books of Blood and two new stories that Clive and I came up with along with Adam — make up the movie. And the three stories are kind of independent, but they cross pollinate each other. We kind of call it the Pulp Fiction of horror. Terrible comparison because it’s not going to be nearly that movie, but it has that kind of structural vibe.”
Long story short? Hulu’s Books of Blood is a feature anthology film that uses the “Book of Blood” framing device as a means to tell other brand new stories not actually found in Barker’s collections. That would explain why this week’s trailer probably didn’t scream “Clive Barker” to you, but it’s again important to note that Barker was involved in creating the new terror tales.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Brannon Braga?

Aw shit... :x
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

What about Adam Simon?

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

One thing jumped out at me when looking over Simon's filmography: he's worked with Roger Corman quite a bit. That alone may make for some cheesy fun.

But Braga messed with my beloved Star Trek franchise years ago. So he's earned a special amount of ire from me.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:32 pm
coopasonic wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:07 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:36 pm Woke
I watched the trailer on this one. It looks like a nice combination of humorous, serious and topical. I think I'll give it a shot this weekend.
Narrator: He did not actually give it a shot that weekend.
I finally did watch this and really liked it. As the trailer indicated it's a nice balance of comedy and drama with a side of edutainment. A pretty quick watch at 8x20-something minute episodes.I watched all but the last episode in one sitting, not knowing it was almost over. The ending was just the beginning from a story perspective, so I hope it gets another season.

It's OK Isgrimnur, I already checked. It has neither been cancelled or renewed at this time.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thank you.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hepcat wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:26 pm One thing jumped out at me when looking over Simon's filmography: he's worked with Roger Corman quite a bit. That alone may make for some cheesy fun.

But Braga messed with my beloved Star Trek franchise years ago. So he's earned a special amount of ire from me.
I’m out on Books of Blood. I got about 20 minutes into it before I gave up. It’s getting awful reviews, I believe.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:52 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:26 pm One thing jumped out at me when looking over Simon's filmography: he's worked with Roger Corman quite a bit. That alone may make for some cheesy fun.

I’m out on Books of Blood. I got about 20 minutes into it before I gave up. It’s getting awful reviews, I believe.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I watched the first two stories of Books of Blood. Ummm well it wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen but it definitely was not very memorable. I like a couple of the actors in it so that's about all I had to enjoy.

Is anyone watching Helstrom? Is that considered a Hulu Original?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yes, but don't get too attached.
It appears that Marvel’s upcoming Helstrom series will be shortlived. According to insider Daniel Richtman, the series was already canceled before airing a single episode.

Richtman reported on his Patreon that the show was canceled ahead of the series premiere. However, the Marvel Television series is still planned to debut on Hulu sometime this year.

Tuesday morning, The Hollywood Reporter announced that Marvel canceled the overall deals for two of their showrunners due to the Coronavirus Pandemic. The two individuals in question being Steve Lightfoot, who ran The Punisher on Netflix, and Paul Zbyszewski, who was the showrunner on Helstrom.

An additional nail in the series’ coffin was Jeph Loeb exiting Marvel Television. In October, Kevin Feige was promoted to Chief Creative Officer at Marvel, putting him in charge of creative direction across the board, including television. The series was initially ordered under the control of Loeb while Feige typically tries to keep all Marvel properties connected under the MCU.

Helstrom was initially picked up by Hulu alongside a live-action Ghost Rider series, which would have seen Gabriel Luna reprise his role as the Spirit of Vengeance. Ghost Rider was dropped by the streamer before any filming had begun.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Boooo I'm enjoying the show so far. I'm not surprised it's not going forward but it's still disappointing. I was hoping they might do a cool new Defenders team-up. Maybe even grab Legion and have all the weirdos together. Was also hoping to see Hellcat but I guess not.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Shocked that no one has mentioned The Handmaid's Tale yet.

I wrestled internally for way too long trying to decide if I wanted to read the book first, or watch the series. In a rare fit of reason, I admitted to myself that my book backlog was so enormous, that it would be entirely too long before I would be able to finish it.

Just finished it last week, and wow. Wow. That's all I can say.

I assume that the series has WAY more content and subplots than the book, just based on how many episodes are out, but no idea how the two media formats compare. At some point I WILL read the book, but I need some space before starting since I just watched the ridiculously intense and tense series.

Not sure if the reverse is true, but I distinctly remember being mildly...bored by the GOT HBO series when it first started (definitely the first season, at least) only because I had just finished the books, and everything was still so fresh in my mind.

Enlarge Image
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:29 am Shocked that no one has mentioned The Handmaid's Tale yet.
Not sure if sarcasm. This thread was created specifically for The Handmaid's Tale.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Dang, my bad. I must have clicked on the UNREAD POSTS thinking I was starting from the first! Disregard my incredulity at leaving that title out. :D

Edit: Jesus, I even REPLIED to your comment about it (to be fair, that was more than 3 years ago, so....)

Also, I very VERY rarely feel like tearing up when watching TV (especially if fiction), but wowza, that scene where
Spoiler:
the kids deplane at the end - just that whole sequence was an emotional tornado after having invested SO MUCH time into the characters
Has anyone read both the book and watched the series? I'm very curious to hear thoughts on how the two interact?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:54 pmHas anyone read both the book and watched the series? I'm very curious to hear thoughts on how the two interact?
If I say that I read the book and found it disturbing enough as to make me not want to watch the Hulu series does that count? Maybe in another timeline, but not this one, that's for sure.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:49 pm
You're burying the lede here. It's the great Walton Goggins starring in this short.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Variety
“Castle Rock” has been canceled after two seasons at Hulu.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Uhhh..ok.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Can we please get some different pinball sounds than the one that’s used in the iPhone alarm? I heard that when I watched an old episode of Two Guys A Girl and a Pizza place.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:24 am It's time for ...

Enlarge Image
I only saw the first episode but I was suitably entertained.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Kids are going crazy over the Animaniacs.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:27 pm Solar Opposites
Spoiler:
S1E7 is dark.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Steve Martin AND Martin Short in a comedy series called Only Murders in the Building? Yes, please.
In 2021 comes Hulu’s newest original series – starring Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selena Gomez. The \comedy surrounds three strangers who share an obsession with true crime and suddenly find themselves wrapped up in one. When a murder occurs in their NYC apartment building, they are forced to work together to figure out what happened.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman

Post by Holman »

Derek DelGaudio’s In & Of Itself.

Derek DelGaudio’s In & Of Itself is a new kind of lyric poem. It tells the story of a man fighting to see through the illusion of his own identity, only to discover that identity itself is an illusion. An intimate and powerful exploration of what it means to be and be seen, the film chronicles Derek DelGaudio’s attempt to answer one deceptively simple question, “Who am I?” His personal journey expands to a collective experience that forces us to confront the boundaries of our own identities.
This 90-minute performance is part drama, part modern magic show, and part therapy session.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Holman wrote:Derek DelGaudio’s In & Of Itself.

Derek DelGaudio’s In & Of Itself is a new kind of lyric poem. It tells the story of a man fighting to see through the illusion of his own identity, only to discover that identity itself is an illusion. An intimate and powerful exploration of what it means to be and be seen, the film chronicles Derek DelGaudio’s attempt to answer one deceptively simple question, “Who am I?” His personal journey expands to a collective experience that forces us to confront the boundaries of our own identities.
This 90-minute performance is part drama, part modern magic show, and part therapy session.
And totally brilliant.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Watched Boss Level tonight.
Pretty good. Kinda Deadpool-ish.
Not quite to that level, but well worth a watch if you liked Deadpool and dont mind another Groundhog Day scenario.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

S2 started today, for anyone looking to enjoy the insanity.

NSFW (is that even a thing anymore?)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ooh! Thanks.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm almost done with season 2 and I still can't decide if I actually like Solar Opposites. There's quite a few moments where I laugh, but there's also quite a few moments where it feels like the writers just go too far. They are oftentimes cruel just for the sake of being cruel. I mentioned it before, but I feel like it could use the sensibilities of a writer like Dan Harmon, who keeps Rick and Morty from plummeting over that precipice.

But then they do something like a self enclosed Wall episode and it's absolutely fantastic from start to finish. In season 2 they include a whole story arc involving the Wall that careens from hilarious to chilling to sad in the space of a heartbeat.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've watched the first episode of season 2, but I haven't gotten back to it yet. I'm also in the "don't know if I like it" camp. I remember some great moments, but I also remember some really tedious stretches that dragged it down.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier

Post by stessier »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:31 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:15 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:24 pm Palm Springs is amazing. I never thought Groundhog Day would be topped (with that theme), but now it has been. Hilarious. Also 90% + on Rotten Tomatoes FWIW.
I discounted this as just another bad romcom when I saw it advertised on Hulu. Looks like I need to watch it now as I was obviously wrong in that assumption. Thanks for the heads up.
Actually when I saw romcom in the description, I almost didn't watch it also. Not my favorite genre to say the least. But if this is a rom-com, I may have to rethink that position.
I watched this with my wife over the weekend and we both thought it was surprisingly good. Quite a fun ride with some real laughs. Highly recommend.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I watched SASQUATCH yesterday and enjoyed it quite a bit. I wouldn't call it a "great" true crime doc, but it has an interesting cast of characters and goes places you don't expect. I was entertained.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Duplass brothers are why I'll watch that doc this weekend. Those two make great/weird movies.

In other news, the MODOK marvel comedy series on Hulu has a trailer now.

Looks a little like Robot Chicken level stuff...which I'm not a huge fan of. Still, it has Patton Oswalt voicing him, so I'm in for that alone. As I'm sure my fellow Oswalt fanboy Lord Mortis will be.
Covfefe!