Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phases Four and Five

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

morlac

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase Four

Post by morlac »

hepcat wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:50 pm I'm guessing Holland is locked into a Sony contract and won't be jumping to the MCU any time soon.

My worry is that this means we're getting a crappy Venom/Spiderman crossover in the not too distant future.
It's pretty much a guarantee.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

msteelers wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:42 pm
Blackhawk wrote:Sony and Disney both have a reputation for being hard asses when it comes to compromise.
I don’t think Disney is being unreasonable here though.

The current deal had it so that Sony paid for the solo Spider-Man movies, and they got almost all of the profits. Disney reportedly asked for half of the profits, in exchange for paying half the production costs. That’s obviously a lot of money, and I’m not surprised Sony turned it down, but offering to split profits in exchange for taking on part of the cost is not unreasonable at all. Surely there’s a number that works for both sides, but it looks like Sony walked away without a counter offer. I’m sure that took Disney by surprise, prompting them to leak this story to the press.
I don't see the upside of the proposed deal for Sony. The costs of making a Spider-Man movie are a non factor. Even the mediocre movies make money, they just don't make as much as a good movie could make. So Disney offering to share the costs is basically a worthless offer, Sony has money.

Hearing about Feige being too busy has me thinking this: Disney wants a bigger share if Feige is going to take on the extra work that Spider-Man represents. That's fair, that makes sense. Unfortunately, this puts Sony in the position of needing to share a whole lot of revenue with Disney for the 'perk' of having Feige's involvement. Frankly, I don't think he's worth it. He's not even going to be able to give Spider-Man his full attention. If a Spider-Man movie makes a billion dollars and they have a 50/50 deal, then that means Feige's involvement costs Sony 500 million dollars...and that's just one movie. That's crazy.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I won't go see a Sony-Only Spider-Man unless they clear this up.

I still think it was stupid for Marvel to leave an open-ended clause for Sony to keep the rights as long as they keep making movies...and this is the cost of doing so.

If Disney can buy Star Wars and that entire universe, they should be able to buy Spider-Man.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sony ain't sellin' though. In this day and age, if you own a Marvel property, you hang onto it for dear life. You may lease it out, but you never sell it off.
He won. Period.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:48 pm I don't know. I can see them wanting to let the X-Men cool off on the side for a few years to get the bad taste out of people's mouths.
They are essentially doing that since we know we aren't seeing anything in Phase 4. But like I said, even one popped claw will be enough to get the fans salivating, and I don't think there is any ill will toward Wolverine, so I'd imagine they would introduce him first before the X-Men. It all hinges on casting the right guy for him.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Last I saw, Marvel's current roadmap ends on Nov 2021 with the Thor movie. So my guess is that X-Men, in some form, will kick in sometime during 2022. It might just be a Wolverine appearance, but I think it's conspicuous that Marvel would only map out their movies for the next two years. They are hiding something.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Or they were leaving holes to see what became available after various negotiations.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, now Marvel is getting on my nerves. They're releasing Spiderman: Far From Home Extended Cut this week. This appears to be a new trend for them. They release the original movie, then a few weeks/months later, they RE release the damn movie with an extended cut. This double dipping is seriously annoying. I have a feeling I'll just avoid any future Marvel movie for at least 3 months after it releases. If that means I just rent it, so be it.
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

It annoys me too, but not enough to keep me out of the theatre initially if it's actually something I want to see. In the case of Spider-Man, we're only talking about "an additional four-minute-long action sequence" apparently. So probably something that was cut from the original release for good reason, and has now just been polished up to add interest.

We often hear how much is edited out of blockbusters prior to release. Most often it's for the best. If Marvel wants to re-release films with what amounts to a deleted scene tacked on, I don't really care in the grand scheme of things. If they were reducing the quality of of the initial run by chopping out key plot points, that would be a different matter.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

hepcat wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:08 pm Okay, now Marvel is getting on my nerves. They're releasing Spiderman: Far From Home Extended Cut this week. This appears to be a new trend for them. They release the original movie, then a few weeks/months later, they RE release the damn movie with an extended cut. This double dipping is seriously annoying. I have a feeling I'll just avoid any future Marvel movie for at least 3 months after it releases. If that means I just rent it, so be it.
It's annoying but have they done this with other movies? Also is this an actual extended cut of the movie with new scenes integrated in? I know Endgame they just added some stuff after the ending that didn't change the real movie but I don't recall any others. Since they released the VOD a week later it didn't have much impact. If they are just doing this to pull their numbers up a little I can just ignore it, but if it's an actual "director's cut" kind of scenario that's different.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Wouldn't this be Sony doing it? I don't think Marvel can release Sony's movie in an extended cut even with their involement in production.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Spaceballs 2: The Search For More Money
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I gave Avengers a pass because they were trying to break the Avatar box office record. And I assumed that was it for this kind of thing. Now Spiderman is doing it. If this is becoming a trend, I'm definitely going to avoid first run Marvel films and wait for the extended cuts. I don't care if it's only 2 minutes of Spiderman doing deep knee bends before a swing, I refuse to be denied the full experience if I see it as soon as it opens! Hear me and tremble, Hollywood! I'm a nerd with access to the internet AND I WLL BE HEARD!

They didn't pull this shit with Italian Spiderman, I tell you.

He won. Period.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

JCC wrote:Wouldn't this be Sony doing it? I don't think Marvel can release Sony's movie in an extended cut even with their involement in production.
That’s my impression. I only remember Disney doing it in an effort to get Avengers over the Avatar hump.

I might end up seeing it again. I loved the film, and my parents haven’t seen it yet.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:49 pm I gave Avengers a pass because they were trying to break the Avatar box office record. And I assumed that was it for this kind of thing. Now Spiderman is doing it. If this is becoming a trend, I'm definitely going to avoid first run Marvel films and wait for the extended cuts. I don't care if it's only 2 minutes of Spiderman doing deep knee bends before a swing, I refuse to be denied the full experience if I see it as soon as it opens! Hear me and tremble, Hollywood! I'm a nerd with access to the internet AND I WLL BE HEARD!

They didn't pull this shit with Italian Spiderman, I tell you.

The chick he punches is pretty hot.
FTE
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Turkish Spiderman vs Captain America:

Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Cosmicbook
A new rumor claims that Disney has lost confidence in Brie Larson and Captain Marvel, which has to do with the loss of Spider-Man to Sony.

It's claimed that Disney, Marvel Studios and Kevin Feige were going to use Spider-Man and Tom Holland to help make Brie Larson and Captain Marvel more likable in the MCU, but now that Spider-Man is gone, Disney is worried about the future of Captain Marvel.

Interestingly enough, as seen in Spider-Man: Far From Home, Tom Holland is the first to have named-dropped Captain Marvel in the MCU.

What is also interesting, is that Brie Larson was supposed to be the face of the MCU going forward, the new leader of the Avengers, and the most powerful character in the MCU, however, Kevin Feige didn't announce Captain Marvel 2 as being a part of their Phase 4 slate, which is heavily female-oriented, and Feige only hinted at the sequel being announced in the future.
It should also be pointed out that Marvel is apparently bringing back Robert Downey Jr. for their Phase 4 plans, as Tony Stark is said to be coming back for the Black Widow prequel, and Robert Downey Jr. is also rumored for an Ironheart Disney Plus series.

Obviously, if Brie Larson was the new face of the MCU going forward, Captain Marvel and Carol Danvers would be a big part of Phase 4. Presently, they are not.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Pretty sure "Cosmicbook" is a garbage site that likes to be "anti-SJW", FYI.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I will take that into consideration in the future.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yikes, apparently the MCU has a feminist agenda and planned to make Spider-Man Captain Marvel's cuck, whatever that means in this context.

We gotta make the MCU great again, like back during Phase One when there was only one female member of The Avengers.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
morlac

Post by morlac »

OMG, I read that whole article and the comments. I want my 15 minutes back but it was kind of like passing a train wreck. The "sources" are a youtuber....lol. Of course a few posters are so deeply connected that one of them are tasked with monitoring that website by the FBI. I can't tell what is parody and who is being "real". I take it back, well worth my 15 mins. I was highly entertained while weeping for humanity at the same time.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

AWS260 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:03 am Pretty sure "Cosmicbook" is a garbage site that likes to be "anti-SJW", FYI.
I found that site earlier this year while looking for a comic book site that didn't post spoilers. I fled after one or two articles. Hell, you don't even have to go to the comments. This is from the article itself:
It's also said Captain Marvel would have humiliated Spider-Man in order to promote Disney's PC feminist agenda that shows females as being better than males.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I didn’t get down that far. :oops:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Spider-Man, Spider-Man
Two more movies for Spider-Man
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:55 am Spider-Man, Spider-Man
:shock:
Not.
Neither side was gonna walk away from the ATM just yet.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Hell yeah!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

stimpy wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:35 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:55 am Spider-Man, Spider-Man
:shock:
Not.
Neither side was gonna walk away from the ATM just yet.
We can thank Spidey for this! With great power comes great responsibility!
Tom Holland reached out to both Iger and Rothman several times and ended up created a safe place for new negotiations to take place, which ultimately led to a new deal being reached.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CinemaBlend
The Eternals is currently filming in the Canary Island of Fuerteventura, where the cast was reportedly asked to leave set due to an emergency situation. Production was halted after an unexploded bomb was allegedly found close to the shooting location. The cast members who were reported to be on set during this time included Angelina Jolie and Game of Thrones' Richard Madden.
According to this early report, it's possible that the explosive might not be modern, or placed there with the intent of causing harm to production. There was reportedly an abandoned Nazi base on that island, which could explain the bomb. Regardless, it's no doubt a sobering moment for everyone involved in production on The Eternals.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Variety
Scott Derrickson is stepping down as director of Marvel’s “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness,” Variety has learned.

The studio confirmed his departure in a statement, attributing it to “creative differences.” Derrickson, who oversaw the first “Doctor Strange,” will remain as an executive producer.

“Marvel Studios and Scott Derrickson have amicably parted ways on ‘Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness’ due to creative differences,” Marvel said in a statement to Variety. “We remain grateful to Scott for his contributions to the MCU.”
The film will begin production in May and there are not expected to be any delays when it comes to shooting. The search for a replacement is currently underway.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Some of the rumor here is that Derrickson wanted the movie to be a straight up horror movie and Feige wasn't comfortable with that approach.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Reminds me of what they tried to do with the New Mutants movie...

Was that even a real thing, and did it ever come out?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hyena wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:50 pm Reminds me of what they tried to do with the New Mutants movie...

It's still on the schedule.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

malchior wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:06 pm Some of the rumor here is that Derrickson wanted the movie to be a straight up horror movie and Feige wasn't comfortable with that approach.
Interesting. MCU films have often blurred genres. Winter Soldier is a spy thriller, Ant-Man a heist film, etc... But they've also strongly followed the formula, and all have that unmistakable MCU feel.

I don't think Feige would be against a horror-MCU movie, but I also don't think he would do a straight horror film either. Wouldn't that be something they hash out before signing on to make the movie though?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:10 pm
Hyena wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:50 pm Reminds me of what they tried to do with the New Mutants movie...

It's still on the schedule.
March/April of this year, AFAIK
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There’s a thread around here somewhere...
malchior

Post by malchior »

msteelers wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:44 pm
malchior wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:06 pm Some of the rumor here is that Derrickson wanted the movie to be a straight up horror movie and Feige wasn't comfortable with that approach.
Interesting. MCU films have often blurred genres. Winter Soldier is a spy thriller, Ant-Man a heist film, etc... But they've also strongly followed the formula, and all have that unmistakable MCU feel.

I don't think Feige would be against a horror-MCU movie, but I also don't think he would do a straight horror film either. Wouldn't that be something they hash out before signing on to make the movie though?
You would think and it is scheduled to start shooting in a couple of months. Some people were guessing perhaps that Derrickson and Cumberbatch weren't meshing on this one.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

malchior wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:17 pm
msteelers wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:44 pm

You would think and it is scheduled to start shooting in a couple of months. Some people were guessing perhaps that Derrickson and Cumberbatch weren't meshing on this one.
I was reading something that also blamed the forced tie ins to the Wandavision show on Disney Ploos as an additional reason for the departure.
Hodor.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I read that they're going to accelerate their release schedule, THREE MCU movies in 2020 alone. I fear we're gonna have burnout after a year or two.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Kasey Chang wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:49 pm I read that they're going to accelerate their release schedule, THREE MCU movies in 2020 alone. I fear we're gonna have burnout after a year or two.
As long as they introduce new characters or do good jobs with the old ones all should be good. Each will probably be quite different.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The next film is a standalone for Black Widow. The next two are completely new properties, followed by two sequels for Doctor Strange, and Thor, which is going to be centered on Jane Foster.

They've been writing comics for decades. They have plenty of ways to try and keep things interesting.