Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phases Four and Five

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Scuzz

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase Four

Post by Scuzz »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:25 pm The next film is a standalone for Black Widow. The next two are completely new properties, followed by two sequels for Doctor Strange, and Thor, which is going to be centered on Jane Foster.

They've been writing comics for decades. They have plenty of ways to try and keep things interesting.
Why would they bother bringing back Jane Foster? :doh:
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:27 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:25 pm The next film is a standalone for Black Widow. The next two are completely new properties, followed by two sequels for Doctor Strange, and Thor, which is going to be centered on Jane Foster.

They've been writing comics for decades. They have plenty of ways to try and keep things interesting.
She's going to be the new Thor. I've never read the comics, but I'm interested.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

stessier wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:32 pm

You are kidding? What does she do, get Banner to make her a potion or something?
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

She picks up the hammer.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:33 pm
stessier wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:32 pm

You are kidding? What does she do, get Banner to make her a potion or something?
Yeah, completely serious. She's going to be Thor.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:25 pmThor, which is going to be centered on Jane Foster.
Seriously? I thought the first two Thor movies were okay at best and Jane Foster was a big reason why. The third film, which did not contain Jane, was so much better.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:33 pm You are kidding? What does she do, get Banner to make her a potion or something?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Foster_(comics)
In October 2014, the fourth volume of Thor by Jason Aaron and artist Russell Dauterman debuted that featured a female character in the role of Thor after the classic hero is no longer able to wield Mjolnir. Aaron stated, "This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is Thor. This is the Thor of the Marvel Universe.
Link details how it happens.

A year or more ago, I remember reading about the changes to the inscription in Mjolnir over time. Thought that was cool.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'm hoping they get into a Marvel Zombies mood. I've got the big-ass hardcover of those comics and it's a fun - and very gory - read.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Paingod wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:55 pm I'm hoping they get into a Marvel Zombies mood. I've got the big-ass hardcover of those comics and it's a fun - and very gory - read.
I still want a Strikeforce Morituri
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:46 pm
Scuzz wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:33 pm You are kidding? What does she do, get Banner to make her a potion or something?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Foster_(comics)
In October 2014, the fourth volume of Thor by Jason Aaron and artist Russell Dauterman debuted that featured a female character in the role of Thor after the classic hero is no longer able to wield Mjolnir. Aaron stated, "This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is Thor. This is the Thor of the Marvel Universe.
Link details how it happens.

A year or more ago, I remember reading about the changes to the inscription in Mjolnir over time. Thought that was cool.
First, isn't Mjolnir destroyed in our time frame?
Secondly, I would rather the Valkyrie become Lady Thor.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:21 pm First, isn't Mjolnir destroyed in our time frame?
Which time frame are we talking about? Seems there was plenty of time for some shenanigans in all that time travel.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:23 pm
Scuzz wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:21 pm First, isn't Mjolnir destroyed in our time frame?
Which time frame are we talking about? Seems there was plenty of time for some shenanigans in all that time travel.
I thought Gap returned the other Mjolnir before staying in the past and Hella destroyed the one in our time/universe/whatever?
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

Scuzz wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:23 pm
I thought Gap returned the other Mjolnir before staying in the past and Hella destroyed the one in our time/universe/whatever?
This should be correct. Cap should have returned Mjolnir at the same time he returned the stone...but we don't know for sure that he did...
stessier

Post by stessier »

These are comic books stories. Anything that was assumed to have happened off screen is up for debate. Heck, many of the things you think you saw onscreen are up for debate. A loop hole will be found or created.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Fun rumors: John Krasinski and Emily Blunt as Reed and Sue Richards for the Fantastic Four.

Captain Marvel 2 bringing in Rogue!!!

The second one in particular has me excited, though they said it wouldn't be Anna Paquin (I don't see why that has to be the case!). Will she be the first X-Man/mutant to enter MCU???
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Raimi directing Dr. Strange would be one of my dream combos.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNBC
Bob Iger will step down as Disney CEO and assume the role of executive chairman, Disney announced on Tuesday.

Bob Chapek, who most recently served as chairman of Disney parks, experiences and products, will assume the role of CEO, effective immediately, Disney announced.
Iger had been planning his succession for a while, saying at Disney’s investor day last year that “2021 will be the time for me to finally step down.” Iger has been CEO of Disney since 2005. He’s pushed back his retirement several times in recent years, and Tuesday’s succession announcement came as a surprise.

On a call with investors shortly after the announcement, Iger addressed the timing of his announcement, which happened 22 months before he was expected to retire at the end of 2021. Iger said he decided to step down now because he wanted to focus on the creative side now that major projects like the Fox merger and launch of Disney+ were behind him. Iger said he would be able to help transition Chapek into the role while serving as executive chairman.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

rittchard wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:08 pm Fun rumors: John Krasinski and Emily Blunt as Reed and Sue Richards for the Fantastic Four.

Captain Marvel 2 bringing in Rogue!!!

The second one in particular has me excited, though they said it wouldn't be Anna Paquin (I don't see why that has to be the case!). Will she be the first X-Man/mutant to enter MCU???
At the risk of sounding pedantic, Wolverine was in the MCU first, wasn't he?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hyena wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:21 pm

I'm confused. When?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

As someone who follows the movies and has never read the classic comics, is it possible for a good Fantastic Four movie to exist in this universe? I've seen three attempts and they were all, at best, shit.

To me that group is like Godzilla. Try all you want, but you will never make a good one.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I liked the Silver Surfer entry in the first attempts, but only because I thought they did a decent job with the Surfer. What they did with Galactus was a damn travesty though. I think there might have been other characters in the film from the FF, but they were immediately forgettable.

I saw the last attempt a while back just because I was curious, and my God it was awful.

However, you're wrong on your Godzilla comment. :P
Covfefe!
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:24 pm
Hyena wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:21 pm

I'm confused. When?
Shit, you're right, it wasn't in the MCU. It was a cameo in one of the xmen movies where they approached him at a bar and he responded with "f*** off" and they just walked away.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

McNutt wrote:As someone who follows the movies and has never read the classic comics, is it possible for a good Fantastic Four movie to exist in this universe? I've seen three attempts and they were all, at best, shit.

To me that group is like Godzilla. Try all you want, but you will never make a good one.
I absolutely think it would be possible to make a good FF movie. But I would want to make it a period movie.

How would you do that with current continuity? No clue. But I still think it could be done.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think it would work within the current MCU timeline, but they've shown that they're willing to make films set in other time periods with Captain America: The First Avenger and Captain Marvel. Are you thinking of setting it in the 60s or 70s? I could see an FF film set during the Cold War, myself.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I'm thinking 60's and 70's.

Really, I'd love to see it in a stylized Jack Kirby version of the 60's and 70's. To be honest, just give me a live action Incredibles.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As long as Galactus isn't a cloud, I'm good.
Covfefe!
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:15 pm As long as Galactus isn't a cloud, I'm good.
They should make Fantastic Four Movie Galactus fight Green Lantern Movie Paralax to see who the ultimate cloud based loser is.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:

I had completely forgotten about that other cloud based travesty.
Covfefe!
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I'm not sure why everyone hated the FF movies. I never saw the reboot one, but the previous ones were fine for me. I mean they gave us America's shirtless Chris Evans, and that alone was worth everything. Sure they were kind of cheesy and Jessica Alba looked kind of odd as a blond, Reed was dull, etc etc. but that's about the best we had in terms of a really fun superhero team movie at the time.

That said, I fully expect an MCU version to be fantastic, no pun intended.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

hentzau wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:46 am
McNutt wrote:As someone who follows the movies and has never read the classic comics, is it possible for a good Fantastic Four movie to exist in this universe? I've seen three attempts and they were all, at best, shit.

I absolutely think it would be possible to make a good FF movie. But I would want to make it a period movie.

How would you do that with current continuity? No clue. But I still think it could be done.
I've been hoping that they'll set the FF in the early 60's (when the comic first appeared) but, at the end of the first movie, they end up in the current MCU timeline. Considering how often the FF traveled into deep space to fight cosmic enemies, it would be pretty easy to come up with a scenario where, due to relativistic space travel, Galactus, a wormhole, etc. they end up in the modern world.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

rittchard wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:16 pm I'm not sure why everyone hated the FF movies. I never saw the reboot one, but the previous ones were fine for me. I mean they gave us America's shirtless Chris Evans, and that alone was worth everything. Sure they were kind of cheesy and Jessica Alba looked kind of odd as a blond, Reed was dull, etc etc. but that's about the best we had in terms of a really fun superhero team movie at the time.

That said, I fully expect an MCU version to be fantastic, no pun intended.
They were just mediocre at a time when Sam Raimi was giving us some pretty damn great comic book movies with Spiderman 1 and 2 (we won't discuss 3). It was like the makers of those FF movies felt like a superhero movie had to be juvenile and silly for the most part. You could almost see the characters being told to mug into the camera at times.

The reboot was just a narrative mess. They wanted to bring family trauma into the story, but they did so without any sense of hope or any real resolution. It was just depressing from start to finish.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Apollo wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:29 pm
hentzau wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:46 am

I've been hoping that they'll set the FF in the early 60's (when the comic first appeared) but, at the end of the first movie, they end up in the current MCU timeline. Considering how often the FF traveled into deep space to fight cosmic enemies, it would be pretty easy to come up with a scenario where, due to relativistic space travel, Galactus, a wormhole, etc. they end up in the modern world.
This. But I would do it with Doctor Doom. It would be mirroring beats with the Captain America movies, but I think it could work.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Verge
Disney has decided to delay the release of Marvel Studios’ Black Widow following the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Black Widow was originally scheduled to be released on May 1st. There is no new date for the movie.
Jag

Post by Jag »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:21 pm Raimi directing Dr. Strange would be one of my dream combos.
hepcat wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:37 pm They were just mediocre at a time when Sam Raimi was giving us some pretty damn great comic book movies with Spiderman 1 and 2 (we won't discuss 3).
Raimi confirmed for Doc Strange 2.
https://www.thewrap.com/sam-raimi-casua ... f-madness/
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'm very excited for this. Raimi has been a favorite since I got into Evil Dead and I think I've loved everything else he's done. Giving him a property with so much potential for pure weirdness as Dr. Strange is a perfect match.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I just hope his production values are good. Drag me to hell wasn't.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm sure a Marvel movie will have a bit of a bigger budget.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jag wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:41 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:21 pm Raimi directing Dr. Strange would be one of my dream combos.
hepcat wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:37 pm They were just mediocre at a time when Sam Raimi was giving us some pretty damn great comic book movies with Spiderman 1 and 2 (we won't discuss 3).
Raimi confirmed for Doc Strange 2.
https://www.thewrap.com/sam-raimi-casua ... f-madness/
Who hoo!
Pyperkub wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:01 pm I just hope his production values are good. Drag me to hell wasn't.
Another great entry in the Raimi filmography. You could tell he was making something for the fun of it.
Covfefe!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

It wasn't bad, but a bit predictable and relied on jump scares too much for me.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.