[Film] Ghostbusters: Afterlife - Nov 19, 2021

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: [Film] Ghostbusters: Afterlife (202x)

Post by Kraken »

Thanksgiving is a good release date. Theaters are usually empty on Tgiving day so we have a long tradition of going to the movies then. If there are still open theaters in November, and if going to one isn't a death wish, this could draw me back.
Daehawk

Re: [Film] Ghostbusters: Afterlife (202x)

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
xwraith

Re: [Film] Ghostbusters: Afterlife - Nov 19, 2021

Post by xwraith »

So... anybody seen it, and have a thumbs up or thumbs down? I'm thinking of going and seeing this next week sometime.
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

xwraith wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:21 pm So... anybody seen it, and have a thumbs up or thumbs down? I'm thinking of going and seeing this next week sometime.
People on FB say it's really good. My kids won't be fully vaccinated until Xmas, and it's likely to be out of theaters by then. We'll wait for Amazon Prime to get it as a freebie.
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

We watched this last night and really liked it. It felt much darker than the originals and had some issues, but it’s a worthy successor to the first film.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Saw this last night on Starz. The kids, who had not seen the original, thought it was fairly boring. I thought it was pretty slow and just ok overall.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

stessier wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:02 am Saw this last night on Starz. The kids, who had not seen the original, thought it was fairly boring. I thought it was pretty slow and just ok overall.
We got Starz so that Wife could watch their Watergate miniseries. When I went poking through their catalog this movie was the only other thing that appealed to me. We'll watch it, since we subscribed, but I'm going to cancel when the Watergate show wraps up. I shall go in with low expectations.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I liked it. Had a nice mystery / explorer angle. My only issues were that people reacted weirdly nonchalantly to ghosts in general, and that
Spoiler:
the last 20 minutes is a borderline remake of the first movie.
But overall I enjoyed it.
Black Lives Matter.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Saw this last week.
Spoiler:
Kind of felt like The Force Awakens did the first time I saw it. Heavily, heavily dependent on nostalgia, sometimes insultingly so and afraid to do its own thing. But also a generally fun watch and mostly competent film. I don't think repeat viewings or critical analysis would be good to it.

It just seems to occupy this cynical middle ground with most of the other reboots/sequels over the past decade. I often have a good enough time while I'm in my seat, but I feel like I sold a part of myself on the way out and I can't always put my finger on why.

This is not bold or clever filmmaking. This is pandering. But sometimes that's enough to put a smile on your face for a short while.

Next stop, 80-year-old Indiana Jones.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msteelers wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:53 am We watched this last night and really liked it. It felt much darker than the originals and had some issues, but it’s a worthy successor to the first film.
Agreed. It's far better than the 2nd film (or the 2016 reboot). Mrs Kub and I really enjoyed it as part of our Starz resub for Outlander. Definitely worth the time, and even some cash if you need to rent. Might even buy it.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.