[AMC] Fear The Walking Dead - IT’S OVER!!!!!!!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

rittchard

Re: [AMC] Fear The Walking Dead - Season 5

Post by rittchard »

So so close to a really good episode... cool explosion effects, intriguing predicaments, the return of Dharma and SNL lady. Advancement of Ginny subplot, it seemed like it had everything going for it. But then it did the now classic FTWD writer's move by haphazardly flipping a character's motivations. Sometimes it's OK, in this case it didn't work for me at all.
Spoiler:
So after one of the best love stories in the TWD universe and being pulled apart time and again for whatever reasons, John decides to up and leave June just after they reunite? WTF? I understand he was supposedly affected by the lady who died in his recent episode, but this is completely inconsistent with his character's core motivating drive ever since they introduced him. His good guy complex fails one time and suddenly he's reversed?
How many things have gone badly, why was it this one that did it?

My guess is the meta-plot demands he be somewhere else so they just kind of forced this in, but come on. It's like spitting in the face of all the fans who bought into the romance. Oh well, there's always World Beyond.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Agree, didn't buy it at all. Good episode then they do that and I was like, "Nope, wouldn't happen."
Spoiler:
I was watching the overhead view, and thought surely not, and then he goes right.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was relieved to see that the show continues to adhere to the precedent set down in TWD that once dead, it takes either 23 seconds or a week to turn.
Covfefe!
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

....ugh. Early viewing of the newest episode complete. Everything from previous spoiler comment applies 10-fold.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

rittchard wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:43 pm ....ugh. Early viewing of the newest episode complete. Everything from previous spoiler comment applies 10-fold.
I'll watch, but this may be the show I give up on in TWD universe.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'll watch. But as I've noted before, I do it almost solely because it has Dillahunt and Blades.
Covfefe!
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:09 am I'll watch. But as I've noted before, I do it almost solely because it has Dillahunt and Blades.
I feel the same way, but they really need to get both of their characters back in form in order to salvage the show. I can't take much more of Daniel pretending to be a dumb mute.
FTE
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I decided to watch this tonight and my TV told me I have to pay $7 a month for AMC+. What's up with that?

Ah, I see...S6 E8 is supposed to record this Sunday, 4/11. I guess you guys saw it early because you pay the premium?
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Kraken wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:40 pm I decided to watch this tonight and my TV told me I have to pay $7 a month for AMC+. What's up with that?

Ah, I see...S6 E8 is supposed to record this Sunday, 4/11. I guess you guys saw it early because you pay the premium?
Yeah I think it's just me. I like to torture myself early :mrgreen:
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

hepcat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:09 am I'll watch. But as I've noted before, I do it almost solely because it has Dillahunt and Blades.
Spoiler:
you have one less reason to watch now.

Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lassr wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Well that sucked
Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

yeah, that was definitely a bad move in my opinion.
Spoiler:
I have to wonder if Dillahunt wanted out. Because it's an idiot who chooses to get rid of a character actor of his caliber while keeping the rest of that cast (well, other than the actor who plays Strand and the ever great Ruben Blades). I will say that I loved the identity reveal of the murderer that John has been haunted by. But I would have loved to see how he reconciled his need to pursue justice with his desire to help her. Now that role will probably fall on Morgan's shoulders. And no offense to his acting abilities as he is a decent actor, but his character has been written by a drunken 12 year old for the last 5 years.
Covfefe!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

hepcat wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:02 am yeah, that was definitely a bad move in my opinion.
Spoiler:
I have to wonder if Dillahunt wanted out.
Spoiler:
He did, in an interview he stated they started planning this back in season 5. He wanted to do others things.
https://ew.com/tv/fear-the-walking-dead ... ohn-dorie/

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, good. That's not so bad then.
Spoiler:
That just means I can expect to see him make another show better in the near future.

Edit...er... this seems to say it wasn't his decision.
Covfefe!
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Spoiler:
He was a great character. Absolutely my favorite in the show despite having to overcome my hatred of him from Deadwood.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:44 am
Spoiler:
He was a great character. Absolutely my favorite in the show despite having to overcome my hatred of him from Deadwood.
Spoiler:
Yeah I'm definitely happy for the actor that he made his escape. And he did a good job with what he was given. But yet again, these writers/showrunners prove themselves incapable of creating any sort of consistency with their characters or the plotlines they established. It's like they never even watched the introduction episodes and his love story with June. Or they just didn't care enough about that story to make it fit with what they wanted to do next. Certainly this will give Dharma more juicy plotlines in the future, but I still think a good writer could have killed him off in a way that would be much more consistent with the character they introduced us too.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Spoiler:
Someone somewhere pointed out that they killed off John in almost the exact same way they killed off Nick. Talk about creatively bankrupt.
Covfefe!
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lassr wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:24 pm
Spoiler:
well you will be happy to see him here...

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Dillahunt is equally good in drama, comedy and horror. He won me over after his turn as the villain in the Sarah Connors Chronicles then showing up as a comedic lead in Raising Hope.

Also, the first trailer I saw for Army of the Dead didn't really impress me, but this one makes the movie look like a fantastic Friday night movie. In.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

That was unexpected and disappointing, but it was handled well. I especially liked
Spoiler:
how at the beginning of the episode, John is plinking zombies that wash up on his landing, and in the end he's a zombie washing up on the landing.

Much of the reasoning was lost on me, though, because I couldn't remember who Cameron was. I just lose all the threads when a show goes away for so many months.

Even though I'll miss the character, it's a big enough change-up to draw me back in.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Decent follow up to last week's episode, maybe a little predictable in some ways but at least it advanced this storyline significantly. I can't tell if they are going to time jump again or what but hopefully they can move on to some sort of new arc, preferably involving the 3 Ring people.

Im not sure how many more times they can milk Morgan's personality changes from killer/peacemaker, but I guess they just really like doing it. I liked seeing the rest of the cast, but it felt like most of them were just side dressing this episode. Again, I'm hoping they can kind of put this to bed and move on so that the rest of the cast gets to be in the show again.
Spoiler:
After all the jerking around, we still end with June avenging John by killing Ginny. Kind of a fitting conclusion and as I expected it gave her a more juicy storyline. What I really would have loved to see is the sister/daughter walk in and then have June execute her immediately, then walk away like she did. Now that would have taken June to the next level for me. Honestly it would have been stupid to not kill Ginny, since she still arguably had a lot of loyal people on the outside and had already shown how untrustworthy she is/was. In some ways leaving her alive would be worse than Negan since the Saviors were pretty much broken and nothing without him, whereas Ginny's group seems much more organized.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

“Hey, they’re getting away in a station wagon, guys! Whatever you do, don’t try to shoot out the tires! We don’t know what will happen!”
Covfefe!
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

oops, I fell behind here!

Last two episodes were pretty interesting. Previous week was one of the most enjoyable FTWD's I've seen in a while. I'm not going to say everything made a lot of sense, just that I enjoyed watching it lol. The new villain group was interesting, but about as intimidating as the calluses on my feet. I mean seriously I felt like Dark Alicia could have easily killed the entire group by herself without breaking a nail. Nick Stahl feels threatening in the way a cute little rat does. I can never get past him as pretty little John Connor, where it looked like Claire Danes could have thrown him around like a rag doll. I guess it doesn't help that I despise John Glover in pretty much everything he's appeared in. And again, I felt like Alicia could have spit on him and killed his skinny old ass. But now it appears we are stuck with them as the villains for this season, sigh.

This week's episode was a bit more of a refreshing tease. Both a tease in terms of how the ep ended, and in the entire dream/future sequences as well. Enjoyable but a bit frustrating. Dream/fantasy sequences were fun, for sure.
Spoiler:
I was convinced from the beginning that Grace was going to die, so I totally bought into the fake reveal. The actual reveal that it was the baby dying was kind of a bummer, and I guess I have to admit decently written. I really enjoyed the glimpse of the future doing so well and I genuinely liked the Athena character, but now that it's been established as a dream, I guess it bodes poorly for everyone. Oh well.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

rittchard wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:45 pm
Spoiler:
I was convinced from the beginning that Grace was going to die, so I totally bought into the fake reveal. The actual reveal that it was the baby dying was kind of a bummer, and I guess I have to admit decently written. I really enjoyed the glimpse of the future doing so well and I genuinely liked the Athena character, but now that it's been established as a dream, I guess it bodes poorly for everyone. Oh well.
Spoiler:
I so thought this episode was for Mother's Day; the love of a mother toward her child, the baby surviving and wanting to know her mother and then the twist at the end and I was like, Well, fuck mother's day. I did not see that coming.

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Lassr wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:41 pm
rittchard wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:45 pm
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I so thought this episode was for Mother's Day; the love of a mother toward her child, the baby surviving and wanting to know her mother and then the twist at the end and I was like, Well, fuck mother's day. I did not see that coming.
I thought the storytelling was ambitious, but it fell flat with me until the twist ending.
Spoiler:
I also assumed that Grace would die, and the unspooling felt saccharine to me. I was impressed when they switched it up in the end, but that didn't make up for the hour of non-enjoyment leading up to it. I'll bet Morgan regrets handing over his key.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Kraken wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:42 pm

I thought the storytelling was ambitious, but it fell flat with me until the twist ending.
That's how i felt also, I kept thinking are they really doing a dream episode, i was only half interested throughout the episode but the end...

Black Lives Matter
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

This last ep was so horrible I don't even want to waste my time bitching about it. Instead I will point you to this review which says everything I would have liked to:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2 ... 57324f62d0
naednek

Post by naednek »

I actually really enjoyed it
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Honestly, so did I. If you’re going to get someone to play that role....no matter how ridiculously unlikely the circumstance...Keith Carradine is a great choice. It also gave us some creepy insight into the latest big bad.
Covfefe!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Once I suspend my belief on the odds of this happening, same as Morgan and Dwight running into each other, I did enjoy the episode. I thought the final scene was touching although again convenient having his father there.

Black Lives Matter
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Lassr wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:39 pm Once I suspend my belief on the odds of this happening, same as Morgan and Dwight running into each other, I did enjoy the episode. I thought the final scene was touching although again convenient having his father there.
I just couldn't get over how the letter spends so much time addressing his father lol. If I was June I'd be like f- that lmao, this is supposed to be MY letter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I admit, you really had to ignore a lot of ridiculously coincidental situations to enjoy that episode. :lol:

But it felt like a move forward instead of sideways in terms of the overall story. I do wonder why
Spoiler:
if you just want another goddamn John Dorie, you killed the first one off.

However, I'm a fan of Keith Carradine, so I'm looking forward to his character realizing he has family now in the form of his daughter in law, and how he'll fit in with a group of people who truly loved his son.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We gained a Carradine. That's all that matters.

I thought they hit a good balance between new character origin story and contributing to the main arc. The previews look like we'll be getting back on that horse next week.

I could do without the Dwight and Sherri sideshow, though.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I have a weird relationship with this show. While I'm watching it generally I'm OK and enjoying the show. For the most part I like the cast and I like the style. But often enough after it's over I think about it and some of the plot elements drive me nuts. I'm usually very unpicky and very forgiving when watching TV, but Fear seems to find a way to really poke at me. This latest (upcoming) ep does it again. One second I'm like oh that's a cool plot element and the next it's like what the hell is wrong with these writers.

Sorry for the early spoilers, please don't read until after you watch this Sunday's episode. Just had to get it off my chest lol.
Spoiler:
As I stated before I am not a fan of John Glover, I just find his presence grating. As a psycho criminal guy, I guess he's fine. But he's not the real problem. It's Alicia - as ever they enjoy powering and de-powering her at will. This batch of bozos would have been easily disposed of by the uber Alicia of one of the past seasons. But now she's just kind of content to go with the flow. It's established that she is really just trying to spy on the group, but seriously their leader is insane and their second in command is a doofus. I'm pretty sure if she takes them out it falls apart pretty quick...
but no, somehow she's convinced she has to let the guy live.

She's given the chance to take him out time and again, but doesn't. In return he saves her from doofus time and again. I guess they deserve each other. Then they add in the little traitor wench Dakota. I thought it was kind of fun to have her at first but as usual they find a way to mess that up as well. Then we get Cole (huh?) and his tie to Madison from years back. Seemed like a cool add - up until the point he betrays her, which didn't bug me half as much as how easy it was for a few random walkers to take out his entire group. So this group has survived so much and all of a sudden they become freaking idiots when just a few zombies arrive? ARRRGGGGGGGHHHH.

The final twist with the submarine gave me some weird deja vu vibes. I don't remember what show it triggered for me, maybe Lost? By the way I'm pretty sure a single missile isn't going to take out the entire planet surface but whatever. Here's hoping there's some payoff next week.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I tried watching this ep the other night after work and I was afflicted with rittchard-itis.

I got about 4 minutes in and then crashed HARD for 45 minutes.

My Wife got nervous that I was sleeping so hard and checked my blood oxygen level after I woke up! :lol:
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Z-Corn wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:39 pm I tried watching this ep the other night after work and I was afflicted with rittchard-itis.

I got about 4 minutes in and then crashed HARD for 45 minutes.

My Wife got nervous that I was sleeping so hard and checked my blood oxygen level after I woke up! :lol:
WOOHOO I got an -itis named after me!!! My week (possibly entire life) is looking up :P :P :P

On a side note there was an episode of Legacies recently I tried watching FOUR times and fell asleep every. single. time. I finally gave up and deleted it so I wouldn't try again. Watched the next two episodes after that with no issues. So weird.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

rittchard wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:12 pm WOOHOO I got an -itis named after me!!! My week (possibly entire life) is looking up :P :P :P
You've earned it due to innovation in the field. We need more Sleepnauts like you!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

rittchard wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:42 pm
Spoiler:
Then we get Cole (huh?) and his tie to Madison from years back. Seemed like a cool add - up until the point he betrays her, which didn't bug me half as much as how easy it was for a few random walkers to take out his entire group. So this group has survived so much and all of a sudden they become freaking idiots when just a few zombies arrive? ARRRGGGGGGGHHHH.
That's where my eyes rolled.
Spoiler:
First, they're going to reintroduce forgotten characters from several seasons ago? Right, this show needs more characters. Then walkers take them out, even as they're standing there armed and in control, and after they've been surviving in the wild for years? Please.
I did like the death row scene at the beginning.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I feel like I missed something somewhere but it's very possible given my rittcharditis(TM). I don't tend to sleep through Walking Dead episodes no matter how bad they are, but it's always a possibility.

Anyway, this last ep (coming Sunday) prior to the finale was pretty good. I felt like they just jumped forward to get to the "good stuff" but it's not like coherent plot is a priority for these writers. Fantastic set piece, I have to say, and in spite of yet another bunch of preposterous plot points, it was fun to watch. Great setup for the finale, I honestly don't know how the writers are going to write themselves out of this one lol.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I almost turned it off when...
Spoiler:
they almost killed of Morgan. I fell for it and was like, I'm done.