Disney+'s Marvel Serieses and de facto WandaVision Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Disney+'s Marvel Serieses

Post by hepcat »

As someone mentioned earlier, what I really liked was the whole
Spoiler:
look at the darker side of people coming back from the Blip. Even though it was quite brief, it still showed how it could be traumatic and horrifying.
He won. Period.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

McNutt wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:46 am I believe the only one I haven't seen is the second Ant Man movie. I read msteelers spoiler and I have indeed seen that movie, but I found that one so uninteresting and forgettable that I can't recall that character. I think I was just taken with the total lack of charisma of the main character. It was like watching a female Sam Worthington.
That's pretty funny LOL.

Also I think coincidentally that was the only movie that Randall Park's character (Jimmy Woo) was in.

Hope people stuck through Ep 4, definitely a game changer in the series.
Spoiler:
It looks like they are implying Wanda is doing all of this, either consciously or sub-consciously. How far will they take it? I've heard rumors they are going "full Scarlet Witch" with her, meaning I presume the entire reality bending we see here. But this is nice and in a bubble, will she be so powerful as to affect the entire MCU???
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

McNutt wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:46 am I believe the only one I haven't seen is the second Ant Man movie. I read msteelers spoiler and I have indeed seen that movie, but I found that one so uninteresting and forgettable that I can't recall that character.
You're not the only one. I thought the Ant Man movies were terrible.

I thought the first two Thor movies were spectacularly bad as well (although the third was pretty awesome), which is why I had completely forgotten about Kat Denning's character when she showed up in WandaVision as well.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

rittchard wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:33 pm
Spoiler:
It looks like they are implying Wanda is doing all of this, either consciously or sub-consciously. How far will they take it? I've heard rumors they are going "full Scarlet Witch" with her, meaning I presume the entire reality bending we see here. But this is nice and in a bubble, will she be so powerful as to affect the entire MCU???
Spoiler:
I think that is exactly where they are going, especially considering the after credits scene in Spiderman: Far from Home and the rumors swirling about Spiderman 3. And with Doctor Strange's "Multiverse of Madness" movie, I suspect that will be dealing with the fallout of whatever happens by the end of WandaVision. I'm guessing that she ends up tearing a hole in reality between different universes. :shock:
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Yeah, this last episode really hammered home to me the idea that
Spoiler:
Wanda has cracked. She had her happily ever after destroyed, and so she's creating one, damn the consequences. Anyone that steps in to spoil it is removed. The veneer is wearing off, however, as is evidenced by Zombie-Vision hallucination.

Can you even call it a hallucination if it's happening inside a hallucination? Wanda is going all Inception on us.

But even Vision is starting to suspect something isn't right based off his reaction to her after the reveal of what really happened inside with Rambeau.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I was able to watch all 4 in a row as my first go, and is totally amazing! I also was excited to see Kat Denning. I thought putting Padme into the Thor movies was a terrible casting choice. I much preferred the other scientist.

I knew going in that tis show would be tied into the MCU, but I had no idea how much it would be tied in. Some of the other shows were only loosely related, I had experience with like Daredevil and such, so this is much more in depth. Like an MCU movie that lasts an entire season.

It even convinced Mrs Jaymon to finally watch all the MCU films with me, so she can understand the references.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Jaymon wrote:I knew going in that tis show would be tied into the MCU, but I had no idea how much it would be tied in. Some of the other shows were only loosely related, I had experience with like Daredevil and such, so this is much more in depth. Like an MCU movie that lasts an entire season.
The other TV shows (Daredevil, Agents of SHIELD, etc) are technically not part of the MCU. Originally they gave lip service to them all being in the same universe, and events from the movies would impact the tv shows while some people from the tv shows made minor appearances in the movies. But there was some sort of in fighting between Kevin Feige and his Marvel Studios (the film side) and the people at Marvel TV, and it quickly became apparent that the TV and movie sides weren’t connected at all.

Now though, these Disney+ shows are all created by Marvel Studios and overseen by Feige. They aren’t just tied into the MCU, they ARE the MCU.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Non-spoiler review of episode 5: Holy. Shit. :shock:
naednek

Post by naednek »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:56 pm
McNutt wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:46 am I believe the only one I haven't seen is the second Ant Man movie. I read msteelers spoiler and I have indeed seen that movie, but I found that one so uninteresting and forgettable that I can't recall that character.
You're not the only one. I thought the Ant Man movies were terrible.
Funny, I think those are one of the better ones. Kids loved it too.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

msteelers wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:37 pm
Jaymon wrote:I knew going in that tis show would be tied into the MCU, but I had no idea how much it would be tied in. Some of the other shows were only loosely related, I had experience with like Daredevil and such, so this is much more in depth. Like an MCU movie that lasts an entire season.
The other TV shows (Daredevil, Agents of SHIELD, etc) are technically not part of the MCU. Originally they gave lip service to them all being in the same universe, and events from the movies would impact the tv shows while some people from the tv shows made minor appearances in the movies. But there was some sort of in fighting between Kevin Feige and his Marvel Studios (the film side) and the people at Marvel TV, and it quickly became apparent that the TV and movie sides weren’t connected at all.

Now though, these Disney+ shows are all created by Marvel Studios and overseen by Feige. They aren’t just tied into the MCU, they ARE the MCU.
I would disagree and say that Marvel: Agents of Shield was most definitely MCU. They even showed clips of the Helicarriers going down in Captain America: Winter Soldier as news footage on Agents the week after the movie came out. They also constantly referenced events from the movies, as well as characters and hints of things to come.

I loved Agents. Coulson routinely knocked it out of the park on that show.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wandavision really surprised me. I was not expecting that final scene. :shock:
He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:26 pm Non-spoiler review of episode 5: Holy. Shit. :shock:
Damn, you ain’t kidding. :shock:
disarm

Post by disarm »

That episode was awesome in so many ways Image

But especially...
Spoiler:
MCU/X-Men crossover!

Multiverse here we come!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:26 pm Non-spoiler review of episode 5: Holy. Shit. :shock:
I said, "What. The. Fuck." out loud on my sofa.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

AWS260 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:28 pm
I said, "What. The. Fuck." out loud on my sofa.
Spoiler:
Guess I'm not really getting it. Is it because they replaced the Marvel speedy guy with the Xmen speedy guy playing the Marvel speedy guy?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

stimpy wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:08 am
Spoiler:
Guess I'm not really getting it. Is it because they replaced the Marvel speedy guy with the Xmen speedy guy playing the Marvel speedy guy?
Spoiler:
Yes, because it literally is the X-Men speedy guy. Same actor. Same hair. Same clothing style. He doesn't know who Vision is. He acts confused when Wanda calls him Pietro (rather than Peter). Unless this is a big head fake, this is the first mutant in the MCU. This also means that anybody from the Fox movies could show up.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Spoiler:
I wonder if they cast Evan Peter instead of Taylor-Johnson because he didn’t want to return, or if it was intentional? In either case, I love it. Evan Peter owns that role.
He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hepcat wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:59 am
Spoiler:
I wonder if they cast Evan Peter instead of Taylor-Johnson because he didn’t want to return, or if it was intentional? In either case, I love it. Evan Peter owns that role.
Spoiler:
I have largely ignored the X-men movies, so I had no idea who that actor was. I knew it wasn’t Taylor-Johnson, but just figured it was some random dude playing Quicksilver. That seemed like a pretty big deal in and of itself.

Wasn’t until I read about it after watching the episode that I understood the potential significance.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Having him being recast is a totally in-theme sitcom thing to do. :D

I also thought it was rather important that they clarified at the beginning of the episode (or was that last week?) that her name was Wanda - nothing else, certainly no alias.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The recast comment was the most meta thing I've ever seen on a show.

So she's basically evil now, right?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

McNutt wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:44 pm The recast comment was the most meta thing I've ever seen on a show.

So she's basically evil now, right?
Her actions are evil because they’re doing harm but I think she’s motivated by grief vs a desire for world domination. Part of the drama will be Wanda’s tipping point and will she pull back from the abyss or will she go all in and we’re all going to wind up in her show...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't want to spoil too much but regarding your observation
Spoiler:
I've seen it theorized that yes, they're setting her up to be a bad guy and that it's possibly for the next Doctor Strange movie, "The Multiverse of Madness".
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I like the way that reality leaks through in a very Twin-Peaks-ish way, how the sitcom trappings just drop off for a second and it starts to feel like a thriller for just a split second and then everything goes back to normal.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Eel Snave wrote:I like the way that reality leaks through in a very Twin-Peaks-ish way, how the sitcom trappings just drop off for a second and it starts to feel like a thriller for just a split second and then everything goes back to normal.
Whenever that happens it brings out a sense of dread. What a fun show!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

$iljanus wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:37 am
Eel Snave wrote:I like the way that reality leaks through in a very Twin-Peaks-ish way, how the sitcom trappings just drop off for a second and it starts to feel like a thriller for just a split second and then everything goes back to normal.
Whenever that happens it brings out a sense of dread. What a fun show!
Like the first episode with
Spoiler:
"Stop it. Stop it. Stop it."
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

After Ep 5 I'm no longer convinced they are setting Wanda up as a "villain" in the conventional sense - yes she has direct responsibility for some of what is happening, but it became clear she's not in control of *everything* - and the devil's in the details (pun intended). She couldn't control her babies/kids, save the dog, control Vision completely, and of course the "surprise" guest, etc - plus Agnes' (Agatha Harkness?) role remains a mystery...

Where it all leads is a mystery, but keep in mind the LOKI series will also air before Dr. Strange 2, and he is also listed as a cast member. So maybe the question is what Marvel villain ties all these 3 characters together?
Spoiler:
MEPHISTO!!!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

How does a "good guy" kidnap and painfully mind control civilians and not be a villain? She's definitely lost in her grief, but many villains have backstories explaining why they're bad. This is hers.
JCC

Post by JCC »

So I am (intentionally) late to the Wandavision party. I have watched the first 2 episodes. This is way, WAY better than I expected it to be.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
disarm

Post by disarm »

Only two episodes in? You have no idea...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You haven’t even made it to the surprise cameo from Rocket Raccoon yet!
He won. Period.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:15 pm You haven’t even made it to the surprise cameo from Rocket Raccoon yet!
No Paste-Pot Pete?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You folks laugh, but when my spec script hits Hollywood desks, I’ll be the one laughing.

He sticks things together! It writes itself, for Christ’s sake!
He won. Period.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Episode 4 was amazing. Episode 5 was nearly as good. I didn't recognize you know who... even though I had seen you know who in the you know whats. Oh well, thank goodness for google!

Great stuff. I was very skeptical of this show, but it's fantastic.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

McNutt wrote:How does a "good guy" kidnap and painfully mind control civilians and not be a villain? She's definitely lost in her grief, but many villains have backstories explaining why they're bad. This is hers.
Spoiler:
Norm said “she’s in my head.” Not “Wanda’s in my head.”
I think we are definitely supposed to think at this point Wanda is behind everything. But I also believe her when she tells Vision she’s not controlling everything.

I have a feeling we’ll know a lot more about who the “big bad” is after this week. Mainly because it’s a 9 episode series, so this would likely be the end of act 2.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Good point. I made an assumption there.

I didn't realize this was a one season show. Is that official?
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

McNutt wrote:Good point. I made an assumption there.

I didn't realize this was a one season show. Is that official?
No, I don’t think it’s official. But I don’t see any of these as being ongoing series in the traditional sense. I believe Feige has referred to them as special events, and just the way they fit into the phase 4 storytelling makes them look like one season shows.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I've seen WV described as a "limited series" somewhere - perhaps on Disney+.
Black Lives Matter

Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Episode 6 Thoughts:
Spoiler:
Nice Malcom in the Middle vibes.

Wanda in her "Sokovian forture teller costume" was super cute.

Vision in his "Mexican wrestler costume" was super funny.

Nice to see the kids getting their powers. (I suspect they will be a big part of how everyone gets saved).

Pietro was grilling/pushing Wanda at times in ways that make me think he's not MCU Pietro or Fox Pietro or even a random townsperson.

It's pretty clear that that Vision can't leave the bubble, probably ever. Seeing him get ripped apart again was rough.

Monica mentioned meeting her "friend" again and I'm pretty sure she used "he" this time. Lot's of speculation on the interwebs as to who this could be.

Jimmy Woo with a big right hook!

I think the weakest part of the show is the director of S.W.O.R.D. Totally generic government bad guy that we've seen 1,000,000 times before.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

This is just a big holodeck for Vision.

I have no idea what's going on. Can't even begin to guess. I only know that Wanda is evil.
JCC

Post by JCC »

This show is crazy!
Black Lives Matter