Bullet Journals and other handwriting thoughts

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Lorini

Bullet Journals and other handwriting thoughts

Post by Lorini »

Wikipedia definition of bullet journals and a great youtube video to go with it.

So I'm starting a bullet journal. I've tried longhand journal and stopped because they were too much work, but the idea of putting stuff down as bullets appeals to me. I'm also looking for another hobby that is not screen based and that keeps me more focused on the moment, although I'll be using the bullet journal for calendaring as well. I like the idea of carrying the journal around in my purse so wherever I go, I have it, without worrying about whether or not I'm connected or whatever. My handwriting is godawful so that's the first thing I'm working on. Turns out even before the pandemic there was an uptick in writing materials sales and I'm sure it's gotten even more popular since the lockdowns.

Does anyone else here do a bullet journal and/or work on penmanship? Love to hear ideas!!!
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Re: Bullet Journals and other handwriting thoughts

Post by Holman »

I used to keep a longhand journal, and I wrote at least a full-sized page every day for 10 years. It was good for my paragraph development, but my penmanship was never much to write home about.

A bullet journal (if i understand it) seems like a good way to keep a record of impressions and thoughts that would otherwise be lost.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

My handwriting is atrocious at this point, and being a lefty I make a mess of everything I try to physically write. :D

I've given this style of journal as a gift to my wife and it's been a big hit. I don't know if she's technically using it as bullet-journal, but she does use it to try and stay sane by documenting /tracking things. The various inserts/formats you can get are apparently the big draw. Not sure if you'd heard of them, so I figured I'd share.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I like the idea of a bullet journal but my handwriting is irreparably terrible.

Would doing one in an app defeat the purpose? Is it supposed to be pen and paper?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I bought these as a "bullet journal like" notebooks.

I haven't used any other notebooks for this, but I like these for a few reasons. The dot grid isn't too intrusive, spiral bound so it lays flat, and good size (not too big or small). The transparent cover is bonus.
One feature that I would like, but have never found, is the ability to easily add or remove pages. 3 rings do this but I hate 3 rings, they always break or make it too hard to turn pages.

I say "bullet journal like" because a lot of the guides I looked at seemed to be overly caught up in a methodology or "right way" to do it. Or were more focused on making them look good instead of being a functional tool.

I use them to keep track of all the different projects I'm working on instead of my old method of having a pile of post it notes. List of project ideas, material & component lists, patterns, sketches, etc. Not a daily thing, just a place to bring some sort of organization to my thoughts.

A few random things in mine;
-A page listing all the components for HeroQuest (so I can make my own someday, although a reprint may just be around the corner)
-A page with doodles of all the different types of halos I've seen
-A few pages of different graphic patterns
-A list of artists I dont' want to forget the names of
-plot outlines for some children's books i'd like to find the time to write
-sketches and notes on art projects I am working on, or want to work on

None of it works though, I still have a pile of post it notes.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i have a lot of drawing/sketch pads and books, but the only writing one i had was a daily planner i kept around me at all times (until i lost this year's edition just as covid-19 lockdown started - haven't really missed it.)

i do write letters, but they're on the cheapest college-ruled notebook paper i can find (or whatever is just lying around). sometimes they don't even have the newfangled perforations, so you get the spiral-bound chads.

i have a huuuuge variety of pens and pencils and long ago i decided i never need to purchase another writing utensil for the rest of my life, but i keep finding myself returning to ballpoint pens for most purposes. for the mainstream pens, the Bic Ultras and Papermate InkJoys are surprisingly enjoyable to use. i kind of have an obsession with using up all the ink in a standard ballpoint - this can take a _very_ long time to accomplish. it's made worse when the pen starts stuttering and skipping near the end of the ink supply... the last pen i used up was a clicky ballpoint from Daiso that i found somewhere - it lasted half a decade at the office.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:42 pm I like the idea of a bullet journal but my handwriting is irreparably terrible.

Would doing one in an app defeat the purpose? Is it supposed to be pen and paper?
My handwriting is horrible as well but I'm doing a daily practice. You need to actually use your fingers and hands to create the words. Stylus does work, but you have to have a device that will let you write notes on it.
Black Lives Matter
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

I'm somewhat into bullet journaling, having picked it up from a friend who's really into journals and fountain pens. I don't journal on a consistent, daily basis, and I don't follow the Ryder method to a tee. But when I do write, with devices off and my pretty fountain pen in hand, it's a great way to unwind at night. And I've seen from my friend's journals what a creative (and obsessive!) pastime it can be.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lorini wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:14 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:42 pm I like the idea of a bullet journal but my handwriting is irreparably terrible.

My handwriting is horrible as well but I'm doing a daily practice. You need to actually use your fingers and hands to create the words. Stylus does work, but you have to have a device that will let you write notes on it.
I've always had rotten penmanship but back in the day I used to write a lot of letters for entertainment and I had to write slowly enough to make writing legible. Having to shape every letter of every word was so much more deliberate than typing. In typing, everything is stream of consciousness and trying to have your fingers keep up with what your brain is puking out. With pencil to paper (I always wrote letters in pencil. I don't know why) that sense that every letter was being crafted really did something for focus and putting together an entire work.

The problem with writing letters is the you can't go back to them like you can journal. In my early 20s I was probably writing 2-3 10+ page plus letters a week as an slowly interactive journal with others. I also loved writing post cards on the rare occasion I traveled, never having enough room, to blather enough on 4x6 card that also need postage and address. I remember really really thinking I was a decent writer in those days and I'll never have a reference for why. Maybe 1000s of hand written pages in envelops that often carried on the stories I'd tell and musings I'd share in. I swear they were all worth the effort to write and read, too. All gone.

How is postcard business? Does it exist anymore?

Progress and change, such a funny thing.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:42 am
How is postcard business? Does it exist anymore?
https://www.postcrossing.com/
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Neat. I wouldn't know what to say to random postcard person. :oops:
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:33 pm Neat. I wouldn't know what to say to random postcard person. :oops:
you take the person's 'likes' list and riff off that
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

My penmanship is lousy, but I noticed that consistency is the best way to make my writing readable. If I focus on making my letters the same size and evenly spaced from each other, instead of all fancy and shit, my writing is a pleasure to read.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

A little while back, I tried to change my habits a bit and start taking manual notes, and try to write everything out longhand, as my handwriting has seriously degraded to be almost unreadable. I even bought a couple cheap fountain pens as I've heard that they force you to slow down, unlike rollerball pens. And in a way, they do... they do force you to write smoother.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

I have but not really tried the Rocketbook reusable notebook that allows you to scan the completed pages to cloud storage
https://www.amazon.com/Rocketbook-Flip- ... 143&sr=1-7
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:32 pm A little while back, I tried to change my habits a bit and start taking manual notes, and try to write everything out longhand, as my handwriting has seriously degraded to be almost unreadable. I even bought a couple cheap fountain pens as I've heard that they force you to slow down, unlike rollerball pens. And in a way, they do... they do force you to write smoother.
Bullet Journals are focused on organization plus thoughts. It's important to me that when I pass away, my son will have something to read and enjoy and maybe read to his kids as well. Therefore it must be not only legible but easy to read as well.

I'm a huge fan of conciseness in writing, which is why it appeals to me so much. I read so much that is drawn out, too many words, takes too long to get to the point. Using bullets helps you get out of that habit and really think about what you are trying to say.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

When I was 10 years old, I poured all of my paper route Xmas loot into buying a Smith-Corona typewriter because after breaking my arm earlier that year I could no longer write legibly. Always hated writing by hand since then, and there were some excruciating times in college when exam essays had to be written in class(although by then I hooked myself up with a newfangled word processor that printed on thermal paper but was portable enough to bring to school).

Oddly enough, when I worked at a hospital, I was actually commended for my penmanship.

If I was to do a journal, seems Microsoft One Note would be the perfect tool for it.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Jaddison wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:12 pm I have but not really tried the Rocketbook reusable notebook that allows you to scan the completed pages to cloud storage
https://www.amazon.com/Rocketbook-Flip- ... 143&sr=1-7
Evernote already lets you do that for years.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

I'm running out of pages in my bullet journal, so it's time to buy another one. I see there is a Bullet Journal Edition 2. Here's a comparison article. I don't think it's in stock at any stores near me or even at Amazon, so I'll buy it directly from LEUCHTTURM1917.

Edit: unfortunately, it's not currently available for purchase outside of Germany. I guess I'll just go with a regular LEUCHTTURM1917 dot grid A5 journal. I hope I can find one with paper thicker than 80 gsm so I'll have fewer bleed-throughs.