COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

FishPants
Server WhOOre

Re: COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by FishPants »

Yeah we've been in lockdown of some form for a long time, but Zoom meetings are a thing and my wife at one point made me look like a german schoolboy from the 60s (after a few good cuts no less) so she wasn't touching my hair. I eventually hired a rogue barber to come to my house (effectively breaking the lockdown orders made by our drug dealing premier) - thankfully my garage is around the back of my home, so I set up in there and had a few friends and relatives come over to make it worth the guy's time. Got a fresh cut in open air (masks on) and a bit of a finger to the government that has yet to listen to basic science.

Anyhow Canada is below 1000 cases per day, my region actually had a 0/0 ratio yesterday and vaccinations are through the roof (I think we are like 77% first dose and 17% second dose so far country wide). I've got to decide if I am sticking with the Astrazeneca and all of it's problems in the media (Expired in some cases, VITT clotting, less efficacy which is debatable when you look at the UK) or be a further lab rat and take an mRNA as my second dose. I'm leaning mRNA more because the preliminary data shows a stronger immune response than if you stay with just AZ or just Pfizer. Anyone mix yet? Did your leg fall off?
No.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:27 pm My cutter opened June or July last year. Didn't get to realize much in the way of savings.
My barber shop has been open for a long time - I just didn't go. I gave a big tip yesterday (double what I would normally do) under the theory that I had a lot of savings in cuts and since it was a lot of hair to cut.

I'm really proud for turning the COVID vaccine thread into a personal grooming thread.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Work will be opening up further soon, trying to stay in line with MIOSHA. Anyone may come to the office without prior authorization as long as they go through social hygiene training and get their temp checked before admittance. HR is collecting vaccination records of anyone willing to submit them. If you submit them, there will be an as of yet unpublished laxing of social hygiene requirements.

Also, some people entering now are ignoring the social hygiene training they just received. We'll see what happens. We've had some people who were pretty bad all along but it was easy to steer clear in 10s of 1000s sq foot building with six people in it. It gets more and more difficult as the (open office) cube dwellers start in immigrate.

No haircut in probably 16 years but I am starting to hack away facial hair more and more. I probably should have been doing that all along once I started grocery shopping and entering the office months and months ago.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Managed to get my 2nd AZ dose yesterday. Thanks in HUGE part to @VaxHuntersCan twitter posts. Ended up making a last minute appointment down in Hamilton yesterday afternoon. Feel fine today - a little tired.

My local Shoppers Drug Mart where I got my 1st jab back on April 20th was completely useless in terms of being able to let me know when they are getting doses and/or scheduling my 2nd jab. They basically left it to me to figure it out. Super frustrating but hey - now I'm all done......... :pray: :?

@Fish - my GF is mixing her AZ with an MRNA based on family doctor advice. Me? I wasn't willing to role the dice just yet as it was only 8 weeks between doses for me.
I'm sure that next year when we all need our booster shots I'll need to mix/match - but that is 12 months away. Just like a flu shot - I'm not guaranteed to get the same vaccine or manufacturer BUT there at least 12 months between jabs.

Her MRNA is scheduled for this coming Tuesday down in Acton - I'll let you know what happens to her. She is expecting severe reactions (flu like symptoms) so we are prepared with lots of tylenol etc.
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Today I learned that a relative of a friend, who had COVID early and was vaccinated early this year, now has COVID again, with significant (but not hospital-worthy) symptoms. This is the first breakthrough case in my circle.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Roman wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:09 pm
@Fish - my GF is mixing her AZ with an MRNA based on family doctor advice. Me? I wasn't willing to role the dice just yet as it was only 8 weeks between doses for me.
I'm sure that next year when we all need our booster shots I'll need to mix/match - but that is 12 months away. Just like a flu shot - I'm not guaranteed to get the same vaccine or manufacturer BUT there at least 12 months between jabs.
Well I finally got pissed off enough to call our MPP for the region who is also a conservative (Ted Arnott) and complained -- we had the same experience, the pharmacy basically told us to go fuck our hats. Anyhow Ted's office escalated within the health unit, and my entire family is scheduled Tuesday for mRNA (my kids already had Pfizer which they are getting again, my wife and I are mixing). I spoke with the head nurse for the region who booked us in and she said the immune response is about 10x better with the mix/match approach, but with that comes more severe side effects for a day or two. Based on my reaction with the first round of AZ, I anticipate hugging the toilet -- but to finally have this behind us, and have my kids fully vaxxed is a massive weight off my shoulders.

I'll let you know if my leg drops off or something, but it's the same day your gf is getting her shot.
No.
Roman

Post by Roman »

FishPants wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:48 pm
Roman wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:09 pm
Well I finally got pissed off enough to call our MPP for the region who is also a conservative (Ted Arnott) and complained -- we had the same experience, the pharmacy basically told us to go fuck our hats. Anyhow Ted's office escalated within the health unit, and my entire family is scheduled Tuesday for mRNA (my kids already had Pfizer which they are getting again, my wife and I are mixing). I spoke with the head nurse for the region who booked us in and she said the immune response is about 10x better with the mix/match approach, but with that comes more severe side effects for a day or two. Based on my reaction with the first round of AZ, I anticipate hugging the toilet -- but to finally have this behind us, and have my kids fully vaxxed is a massive weight off my shoulders.

I'll let you know if my leg drops off or something, but it's the same day your gf is getting her shot.
Good for you! Love the approach you took - advocating for oneself and others is sometimes sorely lacking in our lives. Ted? Met him once on my lawn during campaign time - at least he did you a solid and earned his civil servant pay :)
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Glad to hear you got that worked out, FP. I'd wondered how it would work out for those who'd had the AstraZeneca that wasn't being offered anymore.

Anyhow, it's starting to look like we're seeing the light at the end, at least for the time being. We're finally able to eat out on patios now, which we're thinking on doing on Sunday at a brewpub.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I just called our vet to cancel an upcoming appointment for Warren because I want a f2f consult, not another one of those frustrating phone-from-the-parking-lot visits. Turns out they just changed their guidelines yesterday and I will be able to see the vet in person. There's nothing wrong with my cat; it's just a wellness visit, but I haven't had a proper conversation with his doctor since last year's dramatic FIP treatment and cure, and there's a lot I want to ask her about. More normalcy, huzzah!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

had my first barbershop haircut today. glad to see Hamoudi is still in business - he's clearly hurting for customers.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Went to the VA today for a screening of my cataract surgery at the end of the month. Have to get a covid test before surgery even tho I have my shots.
They had unusual numbers of cops allover the hospital today patrolling. I overheard a couple of them talking about checking guys about masks. They're downright militant about it.
Next step is probably automatic weapons.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949

Post by Default »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:53 pm I just called our vet to cancel an upcoming appointment for Warren because I want a f2f consult, not another one of those frustrating phone-from-the-parking-lot visits. Turns out they just changed their guidelines yesterday and I will be able to see the vet in person. There's nothing wrong with my cat; it's just a wellness visit, but I haven't had a proper conversation with his doctor since last year's dramatic FIP treatment and cure, and there's a lot I want to ask her about. More normalcy, huzzah!
If your cat is getting up in years, request a blood pressure check. If they say, "we only check if we think something might be wrong", tell them Default's cat had undiagnosed high blood pressure, and she went blind because of it, so check the blood pressure, fuck you very much.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Roman wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:09 pm Her MRNA is scheduled for this coming Tuesday down in Acton -
It's worth the drive to Acton.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Default wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:00 pm
Kraken wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:53 pm I just called our vet to cancel an upcoming appointment for Warren because I want a f2f consult, not another one of those frustrating phone-from-the-parking-lot visits. Turns out they just changed their guidelines yesterday and I will be able to see the vet in person. There's nothing wrong with my cat; it's just a wellness visit, but I haven't had a proper conversation with his doctor since last year's dramatic FIP treatment and cure, and there's a lot I want to ask her about. More normalcy, huzzah!
If your cat is getting up in years, request a blood pressure check. If they say, "we only check if we think something might be wrong", tell them Default's cat had undiagnosed high blood pressure, and she went blind because of it, so check the blood pressure, fuck you very much.
He's not quite 2 yet. Ever since we cured his FIP, I've been hyper-vigilant. He was supposed to be under observation for 84 days, but after that near-death experience I'll be observing him closely for the rest of his life. Thanks for the tip on blood pressure.

BTW, this is almost on-topic. The feline coronavirus (FeCoV) is similar to SARS-CoV-2, and the drug that worked is an analog of remdesivir that was developed by the same company (Gilead).
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:49 pm Went to the VA today for a screening of my cataract surgery at the end of the month. Have to get a covid test before surgery even tho I have my shots.
They had unusual numbers of cops allover the hospital today patrolling. I overheard a couple of them talking about checking guys about masks. They're downright militant about it.
My dad recently had cataract surgery on both eyes, each separated out by 2 weeks (I think). He's fully vaccinated, but still had to do a COVID test before each eye was done.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:49 pm Went to the VA today for a screening of my cataract surgery at the end of the month. Have to get a covid test before surgery even tho I have my shots.
We've had a few incidents at the hospital. Masking is required by the state in healthcare facilities here but people insist they know differently.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Folks, I'm posting this from my office with my two big monitors. Because I've voluntarily registered with the office as vaccinated, mask and social distancing requirements do not apply to me. Somewhat moot given that only attorneys with offices seem to be in the office (support staff is working remote), but hey. Vaccination is slowly turning my life back to normal.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My dad had his cataracts surgery a few weeks back, and he had to get covid test less than 1 wk prior to EACH surgery. I thought he already got vaccinated? Whatever...
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

VA does the same. Except it's three days.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Ontario has accelerated the acceleration of 2nd doses again, with all adults being being eligible to attempt to book an early appointment by 28 June. From what I've seen there are very few opportunities to do so here in Ottawa for now, so I guess I'll be adding "Check the booking portal" to my morning coffee routine starting next week.

All adults in Ontario to be eligible for 2nd dose of COVID-19 vaccine by June 28, province says
Ontario says it is moving up appointments for second doses of COVID-19 vaccines for a number of groups in the coming weeks, and by June 28 all adults will be eligible for their subsequent shots.

Anyone who got a first shot of an mRNA vaccine (either Pfizer of Moderna) between April 19 and May 9 should be able to look for a follow-up appointment as of June 21, officials said a briefing for media Thursday morning.

Then, on June 23, spots will open for residents who received a first dose of mRNA vaccine on or before May 30 in 10 health units identified as hot spots for the delta variant of concern, officials said.
Vaccine appointment no-shows frustrate Ottawa residents, doctors
Hundreds of COVID-19 vaccination appointments go unfilled across Ottawa each day, frustrating residents who are struggling to find any open spots.

In recent weeks, anywhere between 300 and 400 appointments get classified as "no-shows" each day at the city's community clinics, according to Anthony Di Monte, who heads Ottawa's vaccine distribution plan.

That number makes up fewer than five per cent of the total number of vaccines given out daily, but those hundreds of doses could go to residents like Valerie Maier.

"I'm shocked. I'm confused. I'm finding it very difficult to understand [why] that's happening," said Maier, 60, who estimates she's spent four hours over several days trying to book her second dose appointment.

CBC has heard from others who have been unable to find an appointment even though they are eligible.
"Any unclaimed doses that do materialize are primarily offered to front-line community health-care workers seeking a second dose or to other eligible groups," said Di Monte.

"This ensures that all unclaimed doses are reallocated and administered daily."
On the one hand, if the clinics are fully booked that means that we haven't seen demand plateau yet. As of yesterday, 73.4% of the eligible population (ages 12+) have their first dose and 18.2% are fully vaccinated, with 75%/20% being the threshold for moving on to the next stage of re-opening. On the other hand, no-shows are annoying but at least the excess doses aren't being wasted.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Work is now 80% vaccinated. Considering that a large number still WFH and/or didn't get their vaccine through employee health (and we just started verifying outside jab status), I'd wager that we are getting close to 100% for those actually on site. Stated goal is 100% of all employees.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:11 pm Folks, I got a haircut today for the first time in ~16 months.
I haven't gotten around to that.

I was actually overdue for one in March 2020...

Z-Corn wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:37 pm I've had one haircut in that same period, last October.

I am now at the same point I was then, am I going to get it cut or am I going to be a 51-year old man with long hair?
I'll be 54 in just a few months. I've noticed an inverse relationship between age and f**ks given.
Last edited by Hrdina on Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conform or be cast out!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Damn dirty hippies, the lot of you!

I went about 3 months (April-June, 2020) without a haircut and my wife threatened to give me a Covid cut. After seeing what she did to the dog, I thought risking my life was the better option. I've been getting it cut monthly since.
Black Lives Matter
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:57 pm Damn dirty hippies, the lot of you!

I went about 3 months (April-June, 2020) without a haircut and my wife threatened to give me a Covid cut. After seeing what she did to the dog, I thought risking my life was the better option. I've been getting it cut monthly since.
My wife gets upset whenever I do cut it. Maybe she's afraid that at my age it won't grow back again.

She has on occasion offered/threatened to cut it herself just because she's never happy with the way professionals cut it.
Conform or be cast out!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:45 am Ontario has accelerated the acceleration of 2nd doses again, with all adults being being eligible to attempt to book an early appointment by 28 June. From what I've seen there are very few opportunities to do so here in Ottawa for now, so I guess I'll be adding "Check the booking portal" to my morning coffee routine starting next week.
I kind of expect it to be rolled out province-wide about a week and a half to two weeks from now given how the others have rolled out. The accelerated rollout just started being offered here this week before this newly accelerated timeline was announced. I feel bad for the more isolated communities along the James Bay coast though, who've had to call in the National Guard for assistance. They've been hit hard with infections and deaths and are trying to hang in there the best they can while they have meager resources.

Regarding the no-shows and cancellations, now more than ever, I think it's important they figure out a way to automatically cancel the original appointment dates while booking the new ones to keep the slots open for those who need them. I don't think people realize they've got to go into the system and cancel them themselves which is how you get so many no-shows.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:19 pm Regarding the no-shows and cancellations, now more than ever, I think it's important they figure out a way to automatically cancel the original appointment dates while booking the new ones to keep the slots open for those who need them. I don't think people realize they've got to go into the system and cancel them themselves which is how you get so many no-shows.
According to the CBC, when people book an earlier second dose through the provincial portal, the system is supposed to cancel their original appointment. Some of the no-shows may be due to people booking appointments through multiple systems (e.g. provincial vs pharmacies vs family doctors or whatever) and taking the first one they can get without cancelling the others, but if the different booking systems aren't interconnected by now, I doubt they will be any time soon.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I was able to log into the Ontario booking portal this morning with no problems and rescheduled my second dose for 27 June. The system confirmed that my old appointment was cancelled, and sent an email indicating that the cancellation was due to either rescheduling the appointment or because I had already received the dose associated with the old appointment, which implies that they do actually have some method in place to keep track of doses received through pharmacies or family doctors.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Guardian
Households with recent birthdays were more likely to test positive with Covid in areas with high infection rates, according to an analysis of nearly 3m homes in the US.
In other words, in counties with high Covid transmission, households with recent birthdays averaged 8.6 more cases for every 10,000 individuals than households in the same counties without a birthday.

But the effect was even sharper when it was a child with a birthday – with an increase in Covid cases of 15.8 for every 10,000 persons in the two weeks following a child’s birthday, compared with cases in families without a birthday. In households with an adult birthday, the increase was 5.8 additional cases for every 10,000, according to the study published in the journal JAMA Internal Medicine.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I've always maintained too many birthdays is the leading cause of death by old age. Now it seems to lead to death by Covid too. Fortunately, mine is never celebrated, therefore I will be immortal.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Nice. I had seen the study this morning, but hadn't seen it reported yet in a more easy to read format. Good find.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:wub:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

The local news reported that 97% of the covid patients in the hospital have not had their vaccines.Well dah! :doh:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:30 am I was able to log into the Ontario booking portal this morning with no problems and rescheduled my second dose for 27 June. The system confirmed that my old appointment was cancelled, and sent an email indicating that the cancellation was due to either rescheduling the appointment or because I had already received the dose associated with the old appointment, which implies that they do actually have some method in place to keep track of doses received through pharmacies or family doctors.
That's good to hear. I'm actually beginning to wonder if part if the issue of no-shows and cancellations could be partly blamed on miscommunication. The messaging on what to do hasn't been clear at all. Of course, it could also be a glitch in the system that happens if it's overloaded and doesn't properly cancel an appointment.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:43 am The local news reported that 97% of the covid patients in the hospital have not had their vaccines.Well dah! :doh:
One would think that by now people would get a clue, but guess not.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:23 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:43 am The local news reported that 97% of the covid patients in the hospital have not had their vaccines.Well dah! :doh:
Things Out There in the world are only theoretical, at least up until the point at which it's too late.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That particular group of people have been conditioned to reject clues. And that wasn't a joke. They've spent the last decade being trained to choose the happy lie over the truth.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:12 pm
That particular group of people have been conditioned to reject clues. And that wasn't a joke. They've spent the last decade being trained to choose the happy lie over the truth.
Indeed. If critical thinking and decision-making based on an objective reading of publicly-available information were their strong suit, they'd have been vaccinated months ago (speaking of the general 'they' here, not the tiny fraction that might have a legit reason for waiting/abstaining).
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Today my family all received second doses.. Pfizer for the kids, Moderna for my wife and I (we had AZ first). Let the lab experiment begin! To further muddy the waters we were tight on time to get back home for meetings/school - so I grabbed Taquitos from 7-11 (This was a first for my kids) - so any side effects we won't be sure if it's the vaccine or the food poisoning! :confusion-seeingstars:
No.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

FishPants wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:50 pm Today my family all received second doses.. Pfizer for the kids, Moderna for my wife and I (we had AZ first). Let the lab experiment begin! To further muddy the waters we were tight on time to get back home for meetings/school - so I grabbed Taquitos from 7-11 (This was a first for my kids) - so any side effects we won't be sure if it's the vaccine or the food poisoning! :confusion-seeingstars:
Or perhaps enhanced efficacy, as taquitos can only improve potency of the shots.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

FishPants wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:50 pm Today my family all received second doses.. Pfizer for the kids, Moderna for my wife and I (we had AZ first). Let the lab experiment begin! To further muddy the waters we were tight on time to get back home for meetings/school - so I grabbed Taquitos from 7-11 (This was a first for my kids) - so any side effects we won't be sure if it's the vaccine or the food poisoning! :confusion-seeingstars:
I heard mixing vaccines results in your growing a third testicle, but at the same time your body no longer produces testosterone therefore it just goes to waste. Care to confirm or deny?
Black Lives Matter