COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by ImLawBoy »

coopasonic wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:01 pm Oh hey my second shot was two weeks ago. I guess I am invulnerable now, time to continue sitting at home for another 4 months!
Yes, but you can sit at home without a mask!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

coopasonic wrote:Oh hey my second shot was two weeks ago. I guess I am invulnerable now, time to continue sitting at home for another 4 months!
lol, that's exactly what I told my wife.

I'll feel better in a couple weeks to maybe go to Publix with the wife occasionally. But it's going to be a while before I feel comfortable without a mask. No time soon am I leaving the house without one.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So it seems I managed to promptly lose my vaccination card. I've turned the house upside down, all I can think of is either I didn't pick it up off the table at the vaccine place, or it fell out of my pocket somewhere not in the house.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:doh:

If you lived in NJ, I could tell you exactly what to do, but I can only guess what your state is doing. I'd suggest you contact the state Health Department and ask for a copy of your vaccination records and see what they tell you or poke around on your state's COVID-19 vaccination page and see if they have a FAQ or a link to help in this situation; you're absolutely not the first person to do it.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I had chills and fatigue after the first shot and the injection site was a little sore. Starting last night after shot 2 I had the works with fever, aches, fatigue and my arm is really sore. Immune system for the win! :horse: (but yeah I feel like crap. On the other hand I'm on my way to full immunity! )
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Did you get Pfizer or Moderna? I had the previous and had no side effects whatsoever. I’m still wondering if I got a bad batch as folks keep taking about these awful aftershocks.
He won. Period.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

17 hours post injection #2 and I have a arm really aching, but otherwise I'm good.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:42 am Did you get Pfizer or Moderna? I had the previous and had no side effects whatsoever. I’m still wondering if I got a bad batch as folks keep taking about these awful aftershocks.
I got Pfizer. The timing was such that my wife also got her 2nd shot yesterday of the Moderna vaccine. She's not feeling as bad but her arm is really sore. It's like we're running our own mini experiment comparing the two. Wheeeee!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:19 pm So it seems I managed to promptly lose my vaccination card. I've turned the house upside down, all I can think of is either I didn't pick it up off the table at the vaccine place, or it fell out of my pocket somewhere not in the house.
I did the same thing. I e-mailed the place where I got the vaccination, and even though they weren't my regular doctor or anything (basically a pop-up COVID testing and vaccination place) they sent me an electronic record of the vaccination the next day. It didn't look like the nifty CDC card, but it had all the information, including batch numbers of the doses. I've saved the record and printed up a copy.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I unfortunately have two vaccine cards because the person at CVS for some reason wouldn't put my second shot information on my Walgreens first shot card. :doh:
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

A coworker just announced in a meeting he’d be out tomorrow as he’s getting the vaccine. I checked my notes from previous meetings that I keep for myself.

This will be his third shot.

He must really hate COVID!
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Some Tylenol and sleeping in a bit longer helped a lot. Still a little tired and sore but more energy than before. Wife unfortunately has hit a wall. Go team Pfizer!
Black lives matter!

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Michelle is on her way out the door for her second Moderna. She's really hoping she doesn't get sick, as she works in a hospital where mistakes are particularly bad, and if she does get sick there's nobody to cover for her. Why? Because the only person who would normally be able to take her shift took two days off in advance for the J&J vaccine, just in case. In other words, him taking two days because he might get sick means that she can't stay home if she does get sick.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Remember everybody, take a photo of both sides of your Vaccination Record Card.

When the sweeps come to put the non-compliant in The Containment Camps it may just allow you to stay with your family!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I received my initial dose of Pfizer/BioNTech this morning at the mass vaccination site at Ottawa City Hall. I became eligible to register on the provincial system last Friday and booked the appointment that day. The injection itself was completely painless -- the young lady who administered it has some serious hypodermic skills. I haven't experienced any noticeable side effects so far, but it's only been about 3 hours so I will just need to wait and see if I'm lucky or not on that front.

The clinic was extremely well organized and the whole process was quick and efficient. The only down side was that they were not running at anywhere near full capacity. They were fully staffed, but apparently there were a butt-load of unbooked timeslots. This was good for me, given that my imperfect knowledge of the pertinent public transit routes meant that I arrived there much earlier than I intended, but they just waved me in and had me vaccinated and out the door a good 25 minutes before my actual appointment time. Hopefully this isn't an indicator of poor vaccine uptake.

I had also been eligible to receive the AstraZeneca vaccine through the pharmacy program since the beginning of April. I had registered with Shoppers/Loblaws on day 1 but aside from one email thanking me for my patience, I never heard back from them. Apparently I'm far from alone in that.

What happened to my vaccination request? The 55+ cohort wants to know
On the first day he became eligible, 56-year-old Andrew Boulanger registered for a COVID-19 vaccine, using Shoppers Drug Mart's pharmacy booking system.

That was a month ago, and while the Ottawa resident has since been able to get vaccinated elsewhere, he says Shoppers never contacted him.

"I just think it got lost," said Boulanger. "I don't think I'll ever get an appointment from them."

He's not the only one wondering what's going on with the vaccine rollout. CBC Ottawa has received feedback from hundreds of residents who've registered for vaccines, through multiple pharmacies, and haven't heard back about appointments.

Like Boulanger, some of those who've waited the longest are among the 55 and over cohort, who began registering en masse the first week they became eligible for the pharmacy program on April 1st.

Two weeks later, the shot became available to those 40 and older, and this week the province allowed pharmacies to also hold walk-in clinics.
Anyway, I guess I need to find out how to cancel the AZ request.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Pfizer vaccine isn’t done with me yet because my aches and chills have returned. My immune system...so much winning...brrrr.
Black lives matter!

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Z-Corn wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:18 am Remember everybody, take a photo of both sides of your Vaccination Record Card.
I promptly lost mine. It's possible I even dropped it on the floor at the vaccine place, or failed to pick it up off the table. I thought I put it in a shirt pocket, and since I've turned the house upside down looking for it, it's possible it stuck to my phone then dropped away somewhere else.

Not sure how to go about getting it replaced.
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Max Peck wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:03 pm Anyway, I guess I need to find out how to cancel the AZ request.
Apparently there is no mechanism to cancel the request. The only information I can find is how to cancel an actual appointment, which can only be done by phoning the pharmacy where the appointment was made. I guess the best I can do is to continue to not have an appointment with them.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Jeff V wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:29 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:18 am Remember everybody, take a photo of both sides of your Vaccination Record Card.
I promptly lost mine. It's possible I even dropped it on the floor at the vaccine place, or failed to pick it up off the table. I thought I put it in a shirt pocket, and since I've turned the house upside down looking for it, it's possible it stuck to my phone then dropped away somewhere else.

Is it an option to go back to the place where you got vaccinated? Or was it a pop-up event?

If all else fails, you may need to submit a request to the Illinois immunization registry (I-CARE). The registry reporting for COVID vaccines is mandatory, so they should have yours by now.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I gave you a suggestion that worked for me in the other place you posted this. :P

Edit - Well, shit. It was in this very same thread just up a bit!
ImLawBoy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:54 am
Jeff V wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:19 pm So it seems I managed to promptly lose my vaccination card. I've turned the house upside down, all I can think of is either I didn't pick it up off the table at the vaccine place, or it fell out of my pocket somewhere not in the house.
I did the same thing. I e-mailed the place where I got the vaccination, and even though they weren't my regular doctor or anything (basically a pop-up COVID testing and vaccination place) they sent me an electronic record of the vaccination the next day. It didn't look like the nifty CDC card, but it had all the information, including batch numbers of the doses. I've saved the record and printed up a copy.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Oops, must have missed that. Damned senility.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:43 pm Oops, must have missed that. Damned senility.
Vaccine side effect!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:54 am
Thank you! I will try contacting Kendall County Health Department.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I took a phone scan of both sides as soon as I got mine. Then I laminated it with packing tape and stuck it in my wallet. Just checked, still there.

Damn, 12/30/2020 first dose. The only thing that's changed in 5 months is more people saying, "fuck it."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

24 hours post vaccine #2 and I'm cruising along. Feeling great. Relieved I have been vaccinated. This is a big step for me.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NPR
A new study estimates that the number of people who have died of COVID-19 in the U.S. is more than 900,000, a number 57% higher than official figures.

Worldwide, the study's authors say, the COVID-19 death count is nearing 7 million, more than double the reported number of 3.24 million.

The analysis comes from researchers at the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, who looked at excess mortality from March 2020 through May 3, 2021, compared it with what would be expected in a typical nonpandemic year, then adjusted those figures to account for a handful of other pandemic-related factors.
Researchers at UW ultimately concluded that the extra deaths not directly caused by COVID-19 were effectively offset by the other reductions in death rates, leaving them to attribute all of the net excess deaths to the coronavirus.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Any of you non certified online doctors have info on infections and antibiotics and the vaccine? Ive had a painful as hell gum or tooth infection this week and taking some penicillin for it. Its a bit better tonight but ive started worrying about my 2nd vaccine shot. Its next Tuesday. Starting to wonder if they'll make me wait. Considering stopping antibiotics by tomorrow so ill have 3 days without any. But if my infection is still around that may cause a problem too.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

COVID-19 vaccines and antibiotics: answers to new common questions
Will antibiotics affect the COVID-19 vaccine?

The answer to this question may be short and simple according to The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The CDC says, “Do not withhold vaccination if a person is taking antibiotics” according to the organization’s Prevaccination Checklist for COVID-19 Vaccines form. You’ll find that response within the “Are you feeling sick today?” section.
My vague understanding is that if you are sick (but not with COVID) you can be vaccinated although they may recommend delaying vaccination if the possible side effects might exacerbate the illness.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Antibiotics kill bacteria. COVID is a virus.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was on antibiotics when I got my first shot and did the research. You're fine.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok cool. I knew bacteria and virus are different but wasn't sure there'd be some weird interaction or if it would simply mess up my schedule day.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'll get ahead of your next question - if you're breastfeeding, its still ok for you to be vaccinated.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

But what about the semen?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Apparently there is an anti-vaxxer story going around that COVID-19 vaccines can negatively impact fertility. I took a shot at debunking that for an American friend who raised the question last night, but she didn't seem all that convinced. So she's holding off on getting vaccinated because Think of the babies! (that she might want to have, some day) and her partner is talking about having a COVID Is Over! party. :roll:

Did I mention that she's a special ed teacher with students that are at risk?

My vaccine reaction seems to have been limited to a sore arm. It peaked at about V+12 hours, so I took a couple of Advil and went to bed a little earlier than normal. This morning there is still some slight soreness if I flex the arm and I feel slightly run down, which makes me wonder if I ran a mild fever while sleeping, but barring some sort of relapse it seems that I'm pretty much over it.

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:59 pm But what about the semen?
I think it's ok to get the vaccine if you have semen...
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:59 pm But what about the semen?
Also perfectly safe to get vaccinated if you’re semenfeeding.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have deleted about 30 ship 'semen' jokes. I just can't make it work.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Max Peck wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:26 am Apparently there is an anti-vaxxer story going around that COVID-19 vaccines can negatively impact fertility. I took a shot at debunking that for an American friend who raised the question last night, but she didn't seem all that convinced. So she's holding off on getting vaccinated because Think of the babies! (that she might want to have, some day) and her partner is talking about having a COVID Is Over! party. :roll:

Did I mention that she's a special ed teacher with students that are at risk?

My vaccine reaction seems to have been limited to a sore arm. It peaked at about V+12 hours, so I took a couple of Advil and went to bed a little earlier than normal. This morning there is still some slight soreness if I flex the arm and I feel slightly run down, which makes me wonder if I ran a mild fever while sleeping, but barring some sort of relapse it seems that I'm pretty much over it.
I heard CNBC talking head a few weeks ago say that young women weren't getting a shot citing "because I haven't had my children yet" maybe a month ago. I have no idea if that is a common thing or not. When I heard it in the background, I wondered what gave rise to that sentiment about this vaccine. I never heard it brought up again until now. I'm now wondering again.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I haven't been following any of the anti-vaxxer disinformation other than what gets mentioned here, because the last thing I need to find yet another way to be angry about something that is completely beyond my control, so I had not heard anything about it until she raised the issue last night. It took all of 5 seconds to find pages of articles stating that it is false and has been debunked. Since she couldn't be bothered making even a token effort to determine whether it was true, I suspect that it is just a convenient excuse to put off being vaccinated rather than an actual reason for it.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Max Peck wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:08 am Since she couldn't be bothered making even a token effort to determine whether it was true, I suspect that it is just a convenient excuse to put off being vaccinated rather than an actual reason for it.
This summarizes 95% of anti-vax positions.