COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by Daehawk »

Walgreens computer called me to tell me it was time to get my 2nd shot. Said if Id gotten it congrats but if not I should and to set up an appnt. I have one for Tuesday. Sheesh.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I had a close encounter this weekend. Making me a bit worried. So far, me and mine have been practicing a very safe pandemic.
but this weekend, I went for an outing. I was at the coast, and climbing a hillside trail . I didn't have my mask on. There were a couple other people on the trail, but we were all a respectable 20 yards apart, so it was safe, ya know.
But then, an old man had a tumble, and started rolling down the trail. He was clearly in distress, and his wife was calling for help, so I rushed over to assist. Didn't think to put my mask on in my haste, I just reacted. Another pair of people also came over. It wasn't just close proximity, I had to lift him off the ground, so that was clearly some shared personal space.
Nobody appeared ill, and we didn't share vaccination information or anything. Its just got me a little freaked out afterwards. I only have one shot yet.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

except that now you have cooties.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaymon wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:41 am I had a close encounter this weekend. Making me a bit worried. So far, me and mine have been practicing a very safe pandemic.
but this weekend, I went for an outing. I was at the coast, and climbing a hillside trail . I didn't have my mask on. There were a couple other people on the trail, but we were all a respectable 20 yards apart, so it was safe, ya know.
But then, an old man had a tumble, and started rolling down the trail. He was clearly in distress, and his wife was calling for help, so I rushed over to assist. Didn't think to put my mask on in my haste, I just reacted. Another pair of people also came over. It wasn't just close proximity, I had to lift him off the ground, so that was clearly some shared personal space.
Nobody appeared ill, and we didn't share vaccination information or anything. Its just got me a little freaked out afterwards. I only have one shot yet.
If it helps, your chances of catching it from a twenty-second encounter with a single random individual in open are are probably less than going to the gas station. Or his chances of getting it from you.

Although his chances of getting hurt rolling down a hill were pretty good.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Wife got her second yesterday. She's feeling pretty crappy and trying to sleep it off. Glad we cooked her a nice Mother's Day dinner last night since today is probably going to be a rough one.

They told her no alcohol for 12-24 hours after the shot. They didn't tell me that.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Me either. I was drunk the night before my 1st shot too. I go for my 2nd Tuesday.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:28 pmThey told her no alcohol for 12-24 hours after the shot. They didn't tell me that.
They told me that. I complied, reluctantly.
Conform or be cast out!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jeff V wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:44 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:54 am
Jeff V wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:19 pm So it seems I managed to promptly lose my vaccination card. I've turned the house upside down, all I can think of is either I didn't pick it up off the table at the vaccine place, or it fell out of my pocket somewhere not in the house.
I did the same thing. I e-mailed the place where I got the vaccination, and even though they weren't my regular doctor or anything (basically a pop-up COVID testing and vaccination place) they sent me an electronic record of the vaccination the next day. It didn't look like the nifty CDC card, but it had all the information, including batch numbers of the doses. I've saved the record and printed up a copy.
Thank you! I will try contacting Kendall County Health Department.
And because I'm sure ILB (aka "Hippy boy") wants some closure on this, Saturday I received a FB message from someone in the 'hood. She found my vaccine card while walking along the bike path. It's a little warped from being outside for 2 weeks, but we haven't had much rain and there's no real damage.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Groovy, man.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:20 amGroovy, man.
What's my City of Heroes character have to do with it?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Hrdina wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:26 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:28 pmThey told her no alcohol for 12-24 hours after the shot. They didn't tell me that.
I wasn't told this but I had seen similar advisories and those advisories seem to go with all immunizations, specifically the Flu and Pneumonia shots I get.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

LordMortis wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:48 am
Hrdina wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:26 am
I wasn't told this but I had seen similar advisories and those advisories seem to go with all immunizations, specifically the Flu and Pneumonia shots I get.
I wasn’t told this either. But no one gets between you and your alcohol in Massachusetts! :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just a little pinprick
There'll be no more, ahhhhhh
But you may feel a little sick

My second shot is in my arm and burbling through my system. I'm going to go grab a quick workout on the chance that I won't be up to it for the next couple of days.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

would it be bad to get second Murderna dose 18 hours earlier than scheduled?
stessier

Post by stessier »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:53 pm would it be bad to get second Murderna dose 18 hours earlier than scheduled?
No.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Washington, DC is going to be pretty much fully open for business come June 11 (and most things quite a bit earlier). This is a lot earlier than I expected the city to open, considering how cautious city leaders were earlier in the pandemic.

Hodor.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

stessier wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:03 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:53 pm would it be bad to get second Murderna dose 18 hours earlier than scheduled?
No.
ok. going to Harborview (regional level-1trauma hospital affiliated with University of Washington Medical Center) to get it after work tonight.

EDIT: playing it safe (some might say 'over-cautious' or even 'paranoid') and going tomorrow AM.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kids 12-15 approved for Pfizer!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:59 pm Kids 12-15 approved for Pfizer!
Yep, just saw that. But it looks like there's still a meeting Wednesday to determine how it'll be rolled out, and then the CDC director has to sign off. So maybe next week vaccinations will start?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:04 am Just a little pinprick
There'll be no more, ahhhhhh
But you may feel a little sick

My second shot is in my arm and burbling through my system. I'm going to go grab a quick workout on the chance that I won't be up to it for the next couple of days.
Likewise. Except for the workout. So far feeling better than the first one.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Quick question about side effects to anyone who knows. Everything out there says generically, "muscle pain." What form has this taken? For the last few hours I've had some pain in my knee, and I'm trying to figure out whether it is just a side effect of the vaccine, or if it's the price I'm paying for all of the lower body workouts/stretching and I need to RICE it up (it feels a bit like quadricep tendinopathy.)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Hard to say. They apparently mimic general body aches associated with the flu, which can be muscle or joint.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:03 pm Yep, just saw that. But it looks like there's still a meeting Wednesday to determine how it'll be rolled out, and then the CDC director has to sign off. So maybe next week vaccinations will start?
If my sources are correct, they can technically start Thursday.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:09 pm it's the price I'm paying for all of the lower body workouts/stretching and I need to RICE it up (it feels a bit like quadricep tendinopathy.)
This would be my non-medical guess. All the vaccine literature (not just COVID) covers soreness at the site of injection plus generalized body aches - muscle/joint paint throughout your whole body, as if you spent the day before doing something highly physical. It's related to the inflammation response we'd expect for some after being vaccinated (it's a generalized immune response).
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:41 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:03 pm Yep, just saw that. But it looks like there's still a meeting Wednesday to determine how it'll be rolled out, and then the CDC director has to sign off. So maybe next week vaccinations will start?
If my sources are correct, they can technically start Thursday.
Awesome. Now bring on the next age group, which contains my kids.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm not sure what the latest estimate is and whether or not they're going to break it down even more (i.e. 6-10 year olds; > 6 months - 5 year olds) as part of the trials and/or release. I think part of the reason 12-15 year olds were able to go through relatively quickly is that they're closer to adults in terms of physiology and how we'd expect their immune system to function.

At the end of the day, having 12 and older vaccinated helps to make the world safer for those under the age of 12. We just have to keep reminding people that we're not just vaccinating ourselves, we're helping those that can't be vaccinated.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Absolutely. But I'll still feel better when all of us have been jabbed.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thanks. I'll just treat it as an overstressed tendon for now and give it a couple of days.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My shot is in about 12 hours. Im hoping my inflamation wont be too bad as i take tylenol and ibuprofen a couple times every day.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I will find out on Saturday what my new superpower will be. I'm still hoping for invisibility, but would be happy with Improved Detect Sarcasm.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

As of last Saturday I'm now fully immune or whatnot. I think this means that I can go around licking people again.
Black Lives Matter.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Does anyone know of a good way to ensure Pfizer?

I'll be back in the states on June 8th and looking to get vaccinated. Because J&J and Moderna are NOT approved in Korea it would be beneficial for me to get Pfizer. At one point I thought I'd see a site that said which brand a specific site was using but all the online searches I can find now give no information on type.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

El Guapo wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:44 pm As of last Saturday I'm now fully immune or whatnot. I think this means that I can go around licking people again.
It would be an honor.

Edit: I assume your were directing that to me.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:44 pm As of last Saturday I'm now fully immune or whatnot. I think this means that I can go around licking people again.
Most of us draw the line at doorknob-licking, but you do you, boo.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rosa52

Post by Rosa52 »

My armpits smell like a bot

*El Fishpantso Edit-o
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rosa52 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:57 am I am much blessed to join this amazing community where everyone seems to convey the latest information about covid-19 so that we could do strict acts in order to stay away from this virus. I know it is quite difficult to avoid social distance and wearing the mask but we have to do it in order to keep ourselves alive.
... Um...
:?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

She stole your avatar! :shock:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

t-minus 2 hours to 2nd shot. But Im leaving early to donate some food to the local places.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Just for Smoove

COVID wise... how we feelin' about eating things we just dropped on the floor? Still no? We back, floor eatin' gang? Someone let me know
The intersection of COVID and food safety made me think of you. :D
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:27 am
Most of us draw the line at doorknob-licking, but you do you, boo.
Just bear in mind that most doorknobs are thickly coated with a year's worth of dried hand sanitizer residue. It's probably best to give them a quick wipedown with a clean rag prior to licking them, even if the virus is just going to bounce off you now.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch