COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Biyobi

Re: COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by Biyobi »

gilraen wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:45 pm Got my 2nd shot of Pfizer yesterday. Other than a mildly sore arm, no side effects. I'm almost disappointed (how else would I know that it's working? :D )
If it worked correctly you should be able to fly now.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just got my free COVID test. Result is NEGATIVE, so my lack of sense of smell is not the result of COVID. :coffee:

On the other hand, apparently at this job, I need to perform the COVID test TWICE WEEKLY. Hmmm...
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I got my second Pfizer shot about six hours ago. Arm's getting sore, but otherwise so far, so good. I did notice that Walgreens Rx receipt showed "Your insurance covered $2.59," so hooray for that. I had understood that the government is paying $40 or $45 per shot so I was a little surprised to see Walgreens nicking the insurance company as well.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya I noticed that on my first shot. I asked if insurance didn't cover it how much it costs people and they said still nothing as the government covered it. Shrug.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Nine hours after the shot, my arm is only mildly sore and I feel fine otherwise. I scheduled tomorrow off just in case, but am now cautiously optimistic that I'll be able to work. I need Sundays for catching up, and I'd hate to lose one.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Got my 2nd Pfizer shot almost five hours ago, and so far no side effects. Arm isn't even sore.

I did have a few minutes of clammy hands driving home after the appointment, but that might have been psychosomatic.

I took a nap this afternoon, but I would have done that anyway, obviously.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im pretty sure they guarantee a 3rd testicle after 2 hours. Might want to ask about a refund.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:26 pm Im pretty sure they guarantee a 3rd testicle after 2 hours. Might want to ask about a refund.
I was told I was getting my second prick.

I didn't feel sick today, just very low-energy. Went for a short one-mile walk and was exhausted and lightheaded by the end. Tried to work and could only concentrate for 45 minutes. Got into bed at 4 p.m. and didn't get out until 6:30. I didn't exactly sleep, but I wasn't aware of 2.5 hours passing so I must've been phasing in and out, and it was really hard to convince my body to finally get up. Also, no appetite -- I ate a very small lunch without enthusiasm and am now avoiding heating up dinner. I'd say I just had a general malaise all day...which is better than the flu-like symptoms I was afraid of.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ill know the night of the 11th if it puts hair in places. They seemed genuinely surprised when I said Id be back for my 2nd shot.
Last edited by Daehawk on Sun May 02, 2021 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Eight+ hours past my second shot:

Maybe I'll feel like shit tonight or tomorrow, but right now I'm full of unexpected energy. Part of me wishes the sun weren't going down so I could go for a bike ride. I *never* feel like that in the evening.

Maybe they gave me the speedball instead? (Did the rest of you get your Pfizer in an alley behind the fish market?)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I got my second Pfizer shot this morning and I’m fine still. I’ve been told by more than one person that the next day is when it hits. But they also said the first shot could be rough and I had zero trouble with that.

However, I prefer to think I’m just now learning that I’m the next Kurgan.
Covfefe!
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

hepcat wrote:I got my second Pfizer shot this morning and I’m fine still. I’ve been told by more than one person that the next day is when it hits. But they also said the first shot could be rough and I had zero trouble with that.

However, I prefer to think I’m just now learning that I’m the next Kurgan.
I get my second shot of Pfizer on Wednesday. I had zero issues with #1 myself. Just can't wait until it comes and goes so I can feel better about being protected.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm 24 hours past my 2nd Pfizer and feel fine. Maybe some cold symptoms, but that could be my allergies.

Pfizer goes down smooth.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Holman wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:22 pm
Pfizer goes down smooth.
Although I guess I shouldn't say that. My 17y.o. got his second shot yesterday, and today he briefly spiked a 103 fever.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Meanwhile, in New Jersey...

Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Holman wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:14 pm
Holman wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:22 pm
Pfizer goes down smooth.
Although I guess I shouldn't say that. My 17y.o. got his second shot yesterday, and today he briefly spiked a 103 fever.
I suspect the primary reason some people suffer ill effects after getting the coronavirus vaccination is because they were likely previously infected, albeit perhaps unknowingly and asymptomatically. In which case they would predictably already possess some degree of natural immune response and antibodies to fight the virus, hence the more intense side effects when they receive the coronavirus vaccine as compared to someone with no previous exposure to the virus:

Health experts say those previously infected with COVID-19 may have worse side effects from the vaccine
kfyrtv.com wrote:BISMARCK, N.D. (KFYR) - Doctors are encouraging everyone to get vaccinated against COVID-19 even if you’ve already had the virus. However, experts say, be prepared for more intense side effects.

In a study posted by medRxiv (med archive), researchers report many people who had previously been infected with the virus reported flu-like symptoms after their first dose. Although these findings could mean some discomfort, they also provide insight into how future vaccine doses are determined.

Rachel Barth tested positive for COVID-19 in November.

“I was very sick for like 10 days-- super congested, headaches, lost my taste and smell, was very tired, very rundown,” said Barth, Mandan resident and COVID survivor.

So, she hopped on the chance to make her vaccination appointment as soon as she was eligible.

“I never want to get it again. I want to make sure I’m not giving it to people around me,” said Barth.

New findings show people like Barth who have previously had COVID might be at a higher risk of more intense reactions to the vaccine due to their antibodies attacking the known spike proteins.

“The immune system, when you have COVID, creates antibodies. Those antibodies are there to help fight infection. So, when you get the COVID jab, you’re introducing viral particles back into an immune system that already recognizes COVID. So, your body’s just doing what it wants to do naturally-- and that’s fight the infection,” said CHI St. Alexius Medical Director Dr. J’Patrick Fahn.

A second study by medRxiv found those who had been previously infected responded to the first jab by generating antibody levels comparable to the amounts seen after the second dose in people who had never been infected.

“People who have had COVID may only need one injection, may only need one vaccination, as opposed to two, because you already have a baseline of antibodies waiting there. And, you’re amping those up with the first COVID-19 vaccination,” said Fahn.

While there is a chance that Barth, and others who have had COVID, will experience worse side effect, doctors say this is a good sign.

“You might have some chills. You might have some fever. You might have a headache. This is just your body responding to the infection that’s being introduced to your system. Since the body recognizes it from before, it tries to fight it off again,” said Fahn.
So, if you suffered no ill effects from the vaccine, chances are that may simply indicate you were never previously infected.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I wouldn't read too much into whether or not you get side effects and what it could or couldn't mean. The fact is, we don't know what to expect. Even for people in the trials, it was ~50/50 reporting for people having symptoms or not. Might mean prior exposure; maybe not. It certainly doesn't mean your immune system is or isn't working.

We're all beautiful snowflakes. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:52 pm It certainly doesn't mean your immune system is or isn't working.
Indeed, and I was certainly not suggesting that was the case.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Apologies if you thought I thought you were. I was just adding more info. It's what I do. :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stessier

Post by stessier »

Also, I would think that theory would make more sense for a stronger reaction after the first shot. A strong reaction after the second shot would seemingly mean nothing about prior exposure.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Coming next week: Pfizer for kids 12-15.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Set my car window repair for monday after next. I have my 2nd shot 11th so wanted to give myself an entire week for side effects. Dont want to get it then go sit in the hot sun all morning waiting on my car.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:19 pm Coming next week: Pfizer for kids 12-15.
Sweet!!!! If that happens, my whole family will be fully vaccinated by around Sept 20th! (Have one that turns 12 on Aug 6th)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Monday marked two weeks since my second dose of Pfizer.

I learned about Bill Gates's divorce a little before the rest of you.
Conform or be cast out!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Hrdina wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:11 am I learned about Bill Gates's divorce a little before the rest of you.
Giving up after 27 years? Rookies... :tjg:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Pfizer is shooting for September for kids aged 2-11.
Hodor.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Oh that's awesome. If we move quickly, our 14yo can get both shots before he heads off to summer camp.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

pr0ner wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:46 am
Pfizer is shooting for September for kids aged 2-11.
I am really hoping for August, through sheer force of will. It may not have much impact on the schedule, but obviously starting to vaccinate younger kids in August is worlds better than September given back-to-school timelines.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Had my second Pfizer dose at 4 PM on Sunday. Felt fine Sunday night but by Monday morning the flu-like symptoms started - body aches, fever, chills and fatigue. I spent most of yesterday in bed and didn't sleep all that well last night but this morning I'm much improved.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Meanwhile in Ontario, still waiting for Pfizer and Moderna to be made available for my age group. All this waiting while seeing you guys make such quick progress feels like a quirk in the space-time continuum.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Rumpy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:18 pm Meanwhile in Ontario, still waiting for Pfizer and Moderna to be made available for my age group. All this waiting while seeing you guys make such quick progress feels like a quirk in the space-time continuum.
Or those of us that took the AZ shot then have the head of NACI saying "you may want to wait for the preferred vaccine of Pfizer".. And then doubling down later that day with "If my sister got a blood clot and died from taking the AZ or J&J vaccine, I don't think I could live with that".. Why that lady wasn't fired on the spot I have no idea. Or for that matter why NACI is holding fucking press conferences, when their job is to advise public health units not the public.
No.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

FishPants wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:19 pm
Rumpy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:18 pm Meanwhile in Ontario, still waiting for Pfizer and Moderna to be made available for my age group. All this waiting while seeing you guys make such quick progress feels like a quirk in the space-time continuum.
Or those of us that took the AZ shot then have the head of NACI saying "you may want to wait for the preferred vaccine of Pfizer".. And then doubling down later that day with "If my sister got a blood clot and died from taking the AZ or J&J vaccine, I don't think I could live with that".. Why that lady wasn't fired on the spot I have no idea. Or for that matter why NACI is holding fucking press conferences, when their job is to advise public health units not the public.
Yeah, the entire thing has played out like a comedy of errors. It couldn't possibly be any slower. It's no wonder why people are having anxiety.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My plan is to get my 2nd Pfizer shot the morning of the 11th and then go grocery shopping next door then pick up a pizza and bring home. Ill stock up on soup and stuff in case I turn sick for a couple days.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Getting Pfizer #2 this afternoon. This is a huge win for me. I've gone out little since I came home from the hospital. I'll finally feel a sense of protection from catching the virus again and becoming deathly ill again. I'm very thankful.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Xmann wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:29 am Getting Pfizer #2 this afternoon. This is a huge win for me. I've gone out little since I came home from the hospital. I'll finally feel a sense of protection from catching the virus again and becoming deathly ill again. I'm very thankful.
You of all people deserve that sense of relief!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Second Pfizer dose on board. Waiting my 15 minutes. Suck it Republican anti science death cult :obscene-buttred:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Canada is now saying that Pfizer can be given to 12+ year olds - now we need the provinces to listen, and to have supply of course too. The bright side is whenever supply is sorted out (it seems to be improving) - my daughters can finally be scheduled and vaccinated. That will be a relief.
No.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

and to have supply of course too
That. News said there are as much 75,000,000 doses in the supply chain in the US right now in large part because supplies are promised to states who aren't taking delivery. They were discussing this in relation to sending production overflow to India, but... Canada and Mexico (to say nothing of states that would be happy to take those doses at this point)? You would think that would be in our interest, especially if there is a short shelf life.

News also said they expect to be vaccinating all ages nationally by August. One would hope we can get more aggressive if we have so many non takers. Get the kids approved (if you reasonably can) and get them vaccinated before August so their communities can be built by school in late August. Just immunizing children is a pleasant surprise. Being able to having it done in large part for the 21/22 school year, yes please.

4 more days until my super powers kick in. If the weather was good, I'd even go outside and eat outdoors at a restaurant for the first time today for cinco de mayo. No spiking on the 2 yard line for me in this weather though. So it's back to the 15th for gaming as my first planned non work non grocery non medical foray in to the world in 15 months.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Second shot done. So far, so good.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Oh hey my second shot was two weeks ago. I guess I am invulnerable now, time to continue sitting at home for another 4 months!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter