My Steam Account was Phished

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: My Steam Account was Phished

Post by LordMortis »

As far as I know, I've never fallen prey but I have informed friends on FB that they'd PM me with dubious links and they should check their accounts and then they let me know, that they intended to send a link through a redirect to something silly. And so <plonk> went their PM... or DM as kids these days would say.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fretmute wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:51 am
Jag wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:51 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:22 pm i think one good use of AI would be an agent on an elderly person's machine to strongly dissuade or prevent aged and addled brains from falling for phishing attempts.
I guess I fall into the elderly category.
For what it's worth, I ignored it because I knew there was a zero percent chance that one us typed the phrase "Sup mate, can i shoot you with a question xd?"
:D
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I can only imagine how many people on FB click those stupid posts that say stuff like "I bet I wont get one like" or "Click if you agree"...They just keep passing around the same stupid shit day after day after day.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jag

Post by Jag »

Fretmute wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:51 am
Jag wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:51 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:22 pm i think one good use of AI would be an agent on an elderly person's machine to strongly dissuade or prevent aged and addled brains from falling for phishing attempts.
I guess I fall into the elderly category.
For what it's worth, I ignored it because I knew there was a zero percent chance that one us typed the phrase "Sup mate, can i shoot you with a question xd?"
I did find the phrasing odd. Like English isn't their first language.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I think that's something an ESL London teen would have said circa 2003. We may have a time traveller on our hands.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

But mates, can I shoot you with a question tho?
Black Lives Matter.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

I just got the same attempt from soulchilde. I don't remember them from the boards, but frankly this is where 99% of my Steam friends come from, so....
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

soulchilde, come on down! You're the next victim!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Grifman is currently the next victim.
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Looks like Grifman just got hit too. I don't recall whether I saw an update from him in either thread.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Doh! Bammed! That's what I get for proof-reading my post and changing the wording.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I wonder if I'll be next. Grifman got me too.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Grifman for me too.
Do I just ignore it? Is there a way to report it?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Poor Grif!

I've just been making snarky comments and then closing the window. :lol:
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:56 pm I wonder if I'll be next. Grifman got me too.
My vague understanding is that nothing will happen if you ignore the chat. I think the only way you will be next is if you respond and then click any links non-Grifman sends you.

I will say that I just double checked my account and confirmed that I don't have a credit card saved. Just the few bucks that's in my wallet.

Also, they are still trying with Grif's account, so I don't think he's seen the info yet. Just got "or u busy rn?"

Black Lives Matter

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I just came here to ask Grif if he was messaging me.

Hope he doesn't mind that I asked if he wanted to resume our ERP.
Last edited by Alefroth on Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I just signed out of chat. Though I suppose that just means they can focus on other people from his list.

Black Lives Matter

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Anyway to turn off steamchat?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:02 pm I just came here to ask Grif if he was messaging me.
Careful, Grif may be offended that you would think he would talk like that. :wink:

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:02 pm Anyway to turn off steamchat?
You can sign out. Open your Friends & Chat window and click the dropdown arrow next to your name at the top. One of the options will sign you out.

I figured it was probably the safest thing to do until this plays itself out a bit.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Oh. But I suspect they can still send you messages when you are offline. So you'll just need to remember when you log back in to close any chats. And don't click any links.

Black Lives Matter

Hereafter

Post by Hereafter »

Grifman got hit, I pinged him over at QT3
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Hereafter wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:13 pm Grifman got hit, I pinged him over at QT3
Yeah. At least one person here also reached out. I suspect that he's not around, though. Since the scammers are still hammering his account pretty hard.

Black Lives Matter

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Jag wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:17 pm Hey, if anyone got a Steam message from me in the last day, please ignore it. I received a PM from an old member Koz asking to vote for his E-sports team. I said sure, but it required a Steam login to the Intel site. I thought it was strange, so i Googled the site and it came up as an Intel site. So i logged in and voted. Then I saw today that someone bought a Counterstrike gun for $27 on my Steam balance. I realized immediately what had happened. I got some PMs from other OO members that my account had reached out too.

I changed my Steam password and googled Steam phishing and saw that they could also create an API link, which they did. I deleted the API and I'm hoping my account is secure now. Sorry for anyone that got a message from me. Don't be a moron like I was. And thank the lord for 2FA. I probably would have lost my account if I didn't have it.

At least I still have the item they bought. I put in a ticket with Steam, but if they can't help me, I guess I'll sell it.
Yes, I got a Steam chat message from you asking you to vote for your team, looked legit, so I did. So I was hacked. Wasn't taken for anything as I had less than $2 in my Steam account. Got several PM's and have gone in and changed my password. Have also gone in asked for the API to changed, so I should be good.
Last edited by Grifman on Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I got the chat from Jag's account. Answered but never got to a point of their sending a link. Not sure if I would have fell for it, as I'm usually suspicious of logging in to other sites. But I'm generally pretty trusting of the OO collective. I guess I'm lucky to not have had to worry about it.

Logged out of Steam Friends/Chat for now. Thanks for that tip.

And sorry Grifman - I don't know anything about the API, so can't help there. Hope you get things resolved soon.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Baroquen wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:40 pm I got the chat from Jag's account. Answered but never got to a point of their sending a link. Not sure if I would have fell for it, as I'm usually suspicious of logging in to other sites. But I'm generally pretty trusting of the OO collective. I guess I'm lucky to not have had to worry about it.

Logged out of Steam Friends/Chat for now. Thanks for that tip.

And sorry Grifman - I don't know anything about the API, so can't help there. Hope you get things resolved soon.
I did a little more research, I can put anything in there. Thanks.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:59 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:50 am
jztemple2 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:41 pm

About nine years ago she got socially hacked (I think that is the term)
"Social engineering" I believe.
Thanks, that sounds better too.

Btw jz, you did send me a friend request a couple of days ago, right?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Little Raven wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:36 pm I just got the same attempt from soulchilde. I don't remember them from the boards, but frankly this is where 99% of my Steam friends come from, so....
I believe soulchilde is tru1cy here if I remember my Gamingtrend-OO user name crosswalk correctly...
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Here is the link to the API. There was something in mine so I deleted it and left it blank.
https://steamcommunity.com/dev/apikey
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Lassr wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:03 pm
Little Raven wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:36 pm I just got the same attempt from soulchilde. I don't remember them from the boards, but frankly this is where 99% of my Steam friends come from, so....
I believe soulchilde is tru1cy here if I remember my Gamingtrend-OO user name crosswalk correctly...
I thought we had both. Sadly they both seem to be gone now.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:14 pm
Lassr wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:03 pm
I thought we had both. Sadly they both seem to be gone now.
Yes, I think he had to use tru1cy here because someone else had soulchilde.

Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I guess xXsoulchilde69Xx was also taken?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Sudy wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:24 pm I guess xXsoulchilde69Xx was also taken?
that's my alt..

Actually, I don't see a soulchilde in the member list here. And Tru1cy has not been here since Nov of last year.

Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Just note, if you got hacked they may have blocked your communication with a lot of your Steam friends, and may even have deleted some. I don't know if any of my friends got deleted, but a large number of my friends are blocked.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Hey Grif, if you do get my messages, sorry about that......lol
I hate scammers......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
raydude

Post by raydude »

Lassr wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:10 pm Here is the link to the API. There was something in mine so I deleted it and left it blank.
Just reading this thread now. My steam chat has been offline for awhile now. I think I turned it off months ago for some reason. Anyway, I don't know anything about this API key. I clicked on the link above and it took me to a page to register for a new Web API Key. Does this mean that I don't have one and I'm in the clear?

Or should I register for a new key just in case?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I too turned off my friends list,for awhile anyways.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

raydude wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:05 am
Lassr wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:10 pm Here is the link to the API. There was something in mine so I deleted it and left it blank.
Just reading this thread now. My steam chat has been offline for awhile now. I think I turned it off months ago for some reason. Anyway, I don't know anything about this API key. I clicked on the link above and it took me to a page to register for a new Web API Key. Does this mean that I don't have one and I'm in the clear?

Correct, if it is blank you are good. From my understanding if something is there it connects your steam account to a personal website you own (or the hacker owns in this case). I'm not sure what the hacker could do other than see activity after I changed my password but I deleted the link in mine.

Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Lassr wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:25 am
raydude wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:05 am

Correct, if it is blank you are good. From my understanding if something is there it connects your steam account to a personal website you own (or the hacker owns in this case). I'm not sure what the hacker could do other than see activity after I changed my password but I deleted the link in mine.
Yeah. It's probably a good idea to check that link. If it's blank, that's good. If something is there, then delete it. It seemed to have stopped the spam.

Really annoyed Steam has an easy way for hackers to do this. Support said I was out of luck, so I checked the price of the item they bought for $27 and it sells for $.033. I told them they should ban the seller's account too.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Jag wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:37 pm
Really annoyed Steam has an easy way for hackers to do this. Support said I was out of luck, so I checked the price of the item they bought for $27 and it sells for $.033. I told them they should ban the seller's account too.
Yeah, it's pretty bad. I would hope Valve starts using increased security measures around APIs, as not everyone should have access to them. Maybe it should have a sort of code system via verified developers. The general public simply shouldn't.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti