NFL 2021 Postseason

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: NFL 2021 Offseason

Post by ImLawBoy »

Apparently he was a coach for the Bears a couple of years ago. I have no recollection of him.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Raiders being the Raiders, they fire their DC to go hire a DC who lost like 8 games in the last 5 minutes of the game. Figure that one out!
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

The Athletic (paid, link) making Deshaun Watson trades scenarios out of Houston:
Trade No. 4: Watson to Lions
Deshaun Watson◄

Matthew Stafford►

2021 1st (No. 7)►

2022 1st►

2022 2nd►

Matthew Stafford would head home to Texas under this scenario, finally escaping Detroit, only to land with a franchise that appears to have sunk lower. Houston would regain some of the draft capital needed to refortify its offensive line and defense over the next couple of seasons. Would Watson approve a trade to Detroit? That’s a question for another day.

“I like this deal best of the five,” an exec said. “Stafford is only 32 and can play another five years, at least. You might not get a quarterback at seven if you are Houston, but you wouldn’t need one.”
I'm down.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The Meal wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:20 pm
stuff

As someone who has been listening occasionally but not watching since the tail end of the Caldwell years, and then found himself completely divorced from the team during Quinn's give away everything to the Pats years, that's a big ask. The Lions need assets and they just hired a GM that specializes in evaluating draft talent.

The Quinn hire forward was such a shame. I really think Schwartz was the right hire for the time and did everything he could. He set a fire and put a chip on the organization's shoulder. I really think Caldwell was the right hire for the time and did everything he could. He tamed the fire Schwartz set and the team learned how not their passions destroy their ability to perform. But the Caldwell/Mayhew combo could not put a team on the field to adapt to the in game situation. Then Quinn happened and set us back 12 years when it comes to a losing culture across the board. So the culture is gone and the assets have all been depleted.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

If I was Watson the only way I'd want to go to Detroit is if I was completely desperate to leave Houston no matter where I wind up. In my opinion Stafford is an effective quarterback and Detroit has gotten nowhere with him. I see no reason to think Detroit would do better with Watson. He'd be leaving one circle of hell for another one.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It would be the most Bears thing ever to trade multiple draft picks for Watson after trading three draft picks in 2017 to move up one spot in the draft to pick Trubisky with Watson still on the board.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Rivers just retired. Colts seem like a good fit but I wouldn't think Houston would want to trade him within division. Maybe New Orleans if Brees retires?
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:55 am It would be the most Bears thing ever to trade multiple draft picks for Watson after trading three draft picks in 2017 to move up one spot in the draft to pick Trubisky with Watson still on the board.
To really perfect it one of the picks that the Bears trade would have to turn into a star QB for the other team.

But really, I think we can all agree that the Patriots playoff draught has gone on too long, and that the Patriots deserve to get Watson.
Black Lives Matter.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:55 am It would be the most Bears thing ever to trade multiple draft picks for Watson after trading three draft picks in 2017 to move up one spot in the draft to pick Trubisky with Watson still on the board.
Wait, what? The Bears have draft picks?
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:56 am Rivers just retired. Colts seem like a good fit but I wouldn't think Houston would want to trade him within division. Maybe New Orleans if Brees retires?
Bummer! Rivers could have replaced Brees in NO for an historic repeat.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:56 am Rivers just retired. Colts seem like a good fit but I wouldn't think Houston would want to trade him within division. Maybe New Orleans if Brees retires?
Impossible. Brees told Winston on the sidelines that it was his team now
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Speculation is shopping Stafford to the Colts for draft capital. I like the idea but I don't know how much draft capital the Colts would give, especially after the Leos did not draft a QB last year.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:57 am
To really perfect it one of the picks that the Bears trade would have to turn into a star QB for the other team.

But really, I think we can all agree that the Patriots playoff draught has gone on too long, and that the Patriots deserve to get Watson.
🤔
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:18 pm

🤔
I know it's hard to wrap one's head around this, but if you can believe it the Patriots last made the playoffs so long ago, that *Donald Trump* was president when they last qualified for the playoffs.
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:20 pm
Lorini wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:18 pm

🤔
I know it's hard to wrap one's head around this, but if you can believe it the Patriots last made the playoffs so long ago, that *Donald Trump* was president when they last qualified for the playoffs.
LOL!!!!
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Re: Lions newly hired head coach, Dan Campbell [paywall]:
The Athletic wrote:“I can give you, ‘Hey, we’re going to win this many games,’ but none of that matters and you guys don’t want to hear it anyway,” Campbell said, speaking rather directly to the fans. “You’ve had enough of that shit. Excuse my language.

“Here’s what I do know: This team is going to take on the identity of this city. And this city has been down, but it found a way to get up. It’s found a way to overcome adversity. This team is going to be built on, we’re going to kick you in the teeth, all right? And when you punch us back, we’re going to smile at you. And when you knock us down, we’re going to get up, and on the way up, we’re going to bite a kneecap off. We’re going to stand up, and then it’s going to take two more shots to knock us down. And on the way up, we’re going to take your other kneecap, and we’re going to get up and it’s going to take three shots to get us down. And when we do (get up), we’re going to take another hunk out of you.

“Before long, we’re going to be the last one standing. That’s going to be the mentality.”

There ya go. That is why Dan Campbell is the Detroit Lions’ head coach.

OK, biting off opponents’ kneecaps probably didn’t come up in his interviews — although, maybe it did; Campbell’s resting heart rate appears to be “Kool-Aid Man right before he bursts through a wall.” The overall message, however, is what spoke to owner Sheila Ford Hamp, team president Rod Wood and, without question, special assistant and former linebacker Chris Spielman.
(Empahsis mine).

Oh yeah.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Finally someone acknowledges the strategic importance of kneecaps!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:54 am Finally someone acknowledges the strategic importance of kneecaps!
A welcome shift from head and groin.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The Meal wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:30 am Re: Lions newly hired head coach, Dan Campbell [paywall]:
The Athletic wrote:“I can give you, ‘Hey, we’re going to win this many games,’ but none of that matters and you guys don’t want to hear it anyway,” Campbell said, speaking rather directly to the fans. “You’ve had enough of that shit. Excuse my language.

“Here’s what I do know: This team is going to take on the identity of this city. And this city has been down, but it found a way to get up. It’s found a way to overcome adversity. This team is going to be built on, we’re going to kick you in the teeth, all right? And when you punch us back, we’re going to smile at you. And when you knock us down, we’re going to get up, and on the way up, we’re going to bite a kneecap off. We’re going to stand up, and then it’s going to take two more shots to knock us down. And on the way up, we’re going to take your other kneecap, and we’re going to get up and it’s going to take three shots to get us down. And when we do (get up), we’re going to take another hunk out of you.

“Before long, we’re going to be the last one standing. That’s going to be the mentality.”

OK, biting off opponents’ kneecaps probably didn’t come up in his interviews — although, maybe it did; Campbell’s resting heart rate appears to be “Kool-Aid Man right before he bursts through a wall.” The overall message, however, is what spoke to owner Sheila Ford Hamp, team president Rod Wood and, without question, special assistant and former linebacker Chris Spielman.
(Empahsis mine).

Oh yeah.
So we're back to the Schwartz mentality. Sadly, I agree with this mentality (assuming we don't just go thug and then be done with it). Quinntricia destroyed the gains of the decade that brought them handily. If nothing else, at least I watch the season opener again and see how it plays out.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

The comment section (which is generally reasonable in The Athletic, considering it's behind a paywall) was generally along the lines of "at least it'll be an entertaining 4-12 season rather than a lackluster 7-9 year."
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Lions trade Stanford to the Rams for Goff, two first rounders, and a third rounder. A lot for LA to give
up, but I guess they’re in win-now mode. I wonder if the Lions will keep Goff; his contract is onerous and he’s been pretty bad the last few years.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:54 am Lions trade Stanford to the Rams for Goff, two first rounders, and a third rounder. A lot for LA to give
up, but I guess they’re in win-now mode. I wonder if the Lions will keep Goff; his contract is onerous and he’s been pretty bad the last few years.
Seems a bad deal for both teams. :doh:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

The Meal wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:30 am Re: Lions newly hired head coach, Dan Campbell [paywall]:

(Empahsis mine).

Oh yeah.
I could not love this post any more. So reminds me of the classic words of Ray Rhodes:
"I don't like losing in my home," the beleaguered coach said yesterday in has weekly day-after press conference in Veterans Stadium.

But fear not. Rhodes' wife, Carmen, and his daughters are safe and sound in their Mount Laurel, N.J., home.

The "home" Rhodes is talking about is Veterans Stadium, the place where he spends more time than he does in Mount Laurel.

His Eagles have lost three of their four games at The Vet this season, including the last two Sundays. "Those are the type of things that drive me crazy," Rhodes said.

He said he tells his team, "You've gotta defend your home."

In his typically florid style of speech, he said he tells them, "People are coming to your house, trying to break into your house, probably sodomize your wife and kids and you don't do anything about it."

So now he thinks it's time to fight back. "We have to get our toughness back," Rhodes said.
Detroit just needs some juice!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:54 am Lions trade Stanford to the Rams for Goff, two first rounders, and a third rounder. A lot for LA to give
I wish they'd given Wolford a shot.
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Lions trade Stanford to the Rams for Goff, two first rounders, and a third rounder. A lot for LA to give
I don’t think they can cut him. Unless spotrac still has some updating to do, his cap charge this year is $27M, but cutting him leaves a $43M dead cap charge. I’m not sure if they need to clean that up because any dead cap associated with bonuses stays with the Rams.

His average annual cost from here on out is like $26M per year, which isn’t that high anymore for your starting QB.

That said - that is an *insane* amount of compensation to give up for Stafford. Scale that to Deshaun Watson and what are we talking? 7 first rounders and half your roster?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I would assume the Rams must have first approached Houston with a similar offer. Which, if so, means the price for Watson is going to be too high for almost any team.
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I'll be a Rams fan for as long as #9 is hucking their ball. I hope he gets a trip to Super Bowl.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

The Meal wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:52 am I'll be a Rams fan for as long as #9 is hucking their ball. I hope he gets a trip to Super Bowl.
Well, the Rams are hosting next year so I'm sure they'll let him come. :D
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Lions trade Stanford to the Rams for Goff, two first rounders, and a third rounder. A lot for LA to give
I don’t think they can cut him. Unless spotrac still has some updating to do, his cap charge this year is $27M, but cutting him leaves a $43M dead cap charge. I’m not sure if they need to clean that up because any dead cap associated with bonuses stays with the Rams.

His average annual cost from here on out is like $26M per year, which isn’t that high anymore for your starting QB.

That said - that is an *insane* amount of compensation to give up for Stafford. Scale that to Deshaun Watson and what are we talking? 7 first rounders and half your roster?
Word is that they'll renegotiate, more years, less cap hit.

The Rams still got fleeced. A starting qb, 2 first round picks AND a third?

That tells me that if the Niners DL doesn't melt down w/o Saleh, the Rams OL will be a mess for years.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

People may laugh at this but I think the Rams have been one elite QB away from winning the SB these last couple of years. Goff by himself was not enough to make it happen, which is why they lost to the Patriots. I think Stafford plus this Rams defense plus the new running back the Rams have developed adds up to a SB appearance if not win. Assuming a SB win is a priority then this is a worthwhile deal for them. Detroit comes away with a bunch of top draft picks which is exactly what you want if you're rebuilding, so they did well too.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I think this is one of those trades that will need to be judged a few years from now, at least for the Rams. If the Rams don't win a SB with Stafford (remember, they got to one with Goff just a few years ago), then it will be a bad trade for them. If they win one, then anything they gave up can be justified. As you say. gameoverman, their defense is stout; it's their offense that has let them down pretty much ever since Gurley got injured their SB year.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:51 am I would assume the Rams must have first approached Houston with a similar offer. Which, if so, means the price for Watson is going to be too high for almost any team.
I'm sure that he'll wind up with the Jets in exchange for substantially all of the Jets draft picks plus Darnold, or something like that. Which will no doubt end well for everyone.
Black Lives Matter.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

It's possible Houston messed up. If you're selling something rare but the amount of buyers out there who can pay top dollar is limited, you might be better off accepting the first good offer. That first buyer is obviously a motivated buyer. After that you'll be left with the buyers who are shopping for a good deal. They might not be willing, or able, to offer as much.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

gameoverman wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:33 pm It's possible Houston messed up. If you're selling something rare but the amount of buyers out there who can pay top dollar is limited, you might be better off accepting the first good offer. That first buyer is obviously a motivated buyer. After that you'll be left with the buyers who are shopping for a good deal. They might not be willing, or able, to offer as much.
On the list of mess-ups by Houston, this is way, way down the list. :D
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ESPN
The Houston Texans have released star defensive end J.J. Watt, granting his request.
"I have sat down with the McNair family and I have asked them for my release and we have mutually agreed to part ways at this time," Watt said in a video posted to Twitter. "I came here 10 years ago as a kid from Wisconsin who'd never really been to Texas before. And now I can't imagine my life without Texas in it. The way that you guys have treated me, besides draft night. I mean, you guys booed me on draft night. But every day after that, you treated me like family. And I truly feel like you're my family.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I don't see how the Texans trade Watson. If Houston loses Watt, Hopkins and Watson in a year, there will be a fan revolt.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Hrothgar wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:04 pm I don't see how the Texans trade Watson. If Houston loses Watt, Hopkins and Watson in a year, there will be a fan revolt.
I feel like releasing Watt makes it more likely that the Texans trade Watson. First because if you're Watson, doesn't losing *another* super talented teammate mean that you're more likely to hold out if you're not traded? And second because if you're releasing him you might as well go all out on a rebuild - my guess is that the easier message to fans is selling them on a new "the process" where you're going to get a ton of picks and be really good in a couple years.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Enlarge Image

Just saying.
Black Lives Matter.