We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Post by Daehawk »

When I took my first drivers license test as a teen it was 20/20. I dont even want to know now.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:25 pm These new glasses only give me 20/40 vision. So everything is blurry to one degree or another.
:lol:

On a good day I'm 20/60 with my glasses on. On a bad day I'm 20/70. I've never known any better. I suppose my world is just a little softer in outline than the world the rest of you inhabit.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

So everyone looks like a beautiful woman in a scene from the original Star Trek?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Holman wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:03 pm Also, I am advised that everyone should wear a big floppy hat that shades not only your nose but the back of your neck.
I've been doing this since I started taking my morning walk ten years ago, initially at my wife's insistence :roll:

The hat, not the walk :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My wife's top front teeth all fell out. Her anchor teeth rotted out and broke. Can't see a dentist until Monday. Even then it'll be a couple of weeks to get them fixed. :shock:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:21 pm
Holman wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:03 pm Also, I am advised that everyone should wear a big floppy hat that shades not only your nose but the back of your neck.
I've been doing this since I started taking my morning walk ten years ago, initially at my wife's insistence :roll:

Ive got a giant straw floppy hat I mow in. Had it at about 10 years. Thats about the time I gave up looking pretty and said to hell with it I need the protection more.

Im thinking Ill set up an app with a dermatologist this year. I have a place on each cheek that is rough and solid white when I shave. Had them a few years....or more.
Holman

Post by Holman »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:21 pm

I remember a Bruce Sterling near-future SF novel where white people are described as slathering themselves with sticky sunscreen at all times. What seems more likely to me is that we'll just wear loose robes and wide hats.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Bedouin route.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:05 pm The Bedouin route.
Wouldn't you too?

I'm much happier covering myself with shade than with oil.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Agreed.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:05 pm The Bedouin route.
I'm spending way too much time on the Cajun cooking FB group. I read this as "Boudin route."
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My wife would approve.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
stessier

Post by stessier »

I gar-UN-TEE!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I have to ask this somewhere because google isn't giving me the answers I want.

When you drink alcohol, does it make you feel like you need to go? Like, does it stimulate your colon? I can have just a couple sips of beer or cider, and I feel urgency almost immediately. But I don't actually have to pass anything. (Unlike coffee, which almost always does make me go.)

I have IBS, which made me think maybe it's a gluten thing. But I don't think it would work that quickly, and this happens with cider too, which is generally grain/gluten free.

It annoys me.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I've never had that reaction. I suspect that rather than stimulating your colon, alcohol relaxes it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I came across several articles like that, but they don't seem to address an extremely rapid onset. I'm literally talking within moments of a sip or two. I'll have to document it next time. For science.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The word of the day is …. tenesmus.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Over the past 6 months, I've started getting a "head rush" (dizziness and light-headedness) more and more often when standing up. The feeling has also become more intense, to the point where I typically stop and grab onto something so I don't fall over.

Doc has checked my blood pressure and says everything is fine, and that it's really only an issue if I actually start passing out. He recommended that I simply stand up a little slower...which makes me feel like a really old man.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:39 am

Doc has checked my blood pressure and says everything is fine,
Everything is fine except for the fact that you get dizzy when standing up quickly....something is causing it. Inner ear?
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

In my case it was because of the sudden intensity of my cataracts.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:39 am Over the past 6 months, I've started getting a "head rush" (dizziness and light-headedness) more and more often when standing up. The feeling has also become more intense, to the point where I typically stop and grab onto something so I don't fall over.
I have had this my entire life. I've never received any sort of diagnosis, but it's been a constant since I was a child. It isn't every time, but now and then, bam. I've always had blood pressure on the low end of normal and a low resting heart rate (now that I've got a fitness tracker, I can see that my average resting heart rate over the past two months has been 49.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Yeah, doc didn't seem particularly concerned about it and said it's pretty common. Really only becomes a concern if it actually causes you to pass out and/or fall. Otherwise, it's just a shitty part of getting older for some of us.

Doesn't bother me a ton, I just have to be aware of it and not try to immediately go from sitting to running...like that would ever happen anywas. :lol:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It doesn't happen often. I'll have it a few times and then nothing for a few months. My youngest seems to have the same issue. It's usually just a little bit of a spin and done. A few times it's been a stronger effect to the point that I can feel my muscles twitching. It's almost like they're trying to release and I'm fighting to keep them doing their job. Still, I've learned to not lean on things if I can help it. Instead I just take a knee. It's sturdier, and if I did fall it wouldn't be far.

I've only fallen twice in my life from it, both times when it happened when I was seriously sick. The first time I was 13 and had the flu. I ended up taking out the Christmas tree on the way down. The second time was during cancer treatment. I got up to go to the bathroom, started to feel it, and then I was on the floor with the kitchen sink cabinet door lying next to me and a foot-long gash up my back.

Nonetheless, I should probably bring it up with my doctor again. I'm close to 50, and as I get older and bone density starts to go, it could have consequences.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Only had that happen a very few times in my life. But when I was about 12 or 13 I got up off the couch and stretched and woke up on the floor with the 25" console tv askew along with an end table. Seemed ok except for one of my canine teeth went through my lip. Bled good and had to go to the hospital to stitch it up. Still have that scar. Never passed out again. Was never even close to that bad again.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:10 am Doesn't bother me a ton, I just have to be aware of it and not try to immediately go from sitting to running...like that would ever happen anywas. :lol:
How old are the kids?

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I've been experiencing it since at least my teens. More common of course standing up quickly from lower/certain positions. I've never actually passed out or fallen, but probably come close a few times. I just always assumed it was related to height and weight. (6'1", 300 for most of my adult life.) But the sudden onset in your case SP might seem odd. I once again have gone full anecdote rather than turning to google, as it appears Isg already frequents this thread.

I took a walk yesterday and noticed that my hands and forearms had become swollen to a slightly alarming degress by the time I remained home. This I did google, and apparently it's pretty common for this to happen as exercise pumps blood away from your extremities. But it's never happened to me before, so I was weirded out. Definitely time to make more positive lifestyle changes.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

;)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

As I posted on the wellness thread, my increased sedentariness over the past year put me into constant pain due to a thrown back and locked-up hips. So I joined the gym.

I have yet to be able to sustain even a 3mph pace on the treadmill, but even the two trips have reduced my pain and improved my mobility.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont know what to make of my blood pressure. I take my medicine in the morning when I wake up. Sometimes I take my bp first and its normal. Then after meds at the end of the day its high. Just now Ive been using a chainsaw and dragging branches. Im sick and give out. Cant even walk really and my blood in my ears and my heart are POUNDING. I take my bp and its LOW....100/66 with 126 pulse. Weird shit.

Ok after resting in bed for an hour with the AC on and being sick at my stomach its now 114/76 pulse 106.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I actually have a hypothesis on my recent bout with light-headedness. Will test for a couple days and report back.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

MF'er! Playing disc golf today and on the 10th hole my right knee popped on the drive and now it hurts like a sob!

Off to the orthopedic walk in clinic tomorrow. In my case barely walk in...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Did 3 hours of hiking at Starved Rock today after still not being recovered from yesterday's run. It was really an exhausting day, but every day this week seems like it's going to be a busy one.
Black Lives Matter
Brian

Post by Brian »

Doing some yard work yesterday and experienced some rather alarming chest pains.

I was fairly certain at the time, and was later confirmed, that it was really just a bad case of heartburn but our eldest daughter was asking if she should call 911.

I told her, no, it's just heartburn but I'm going to sit down for a bit and if you see me slump out of the chair, maybe then give them a call.

Meanwhile, there's still an impressively large pile of branches that needs to be trimmed down into either firewood or fodder for the yard waste bin.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya I thought Id go out and cut down two things and cut it up and carry it off. I got 1 half cut and those trimmings half carried away. I did manage to clean all the trash vines off the guy wire to one of the power poles.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Lassr wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:18 pm MF'er! Playing disc golf today and on the 10th hole my right knee popped on the drive and now it hurts like a sob!

Off to the orthopedic walk in clinic tomorrow. In my case barely walk in...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
inside source that saw my MRI says sprain with tear of posterior horn (part of the meniscus). Not as bad as I feared, as it would only require Physical therapy and/or cleaning it out. The main meniscus was just sprained.

About the same as I did to my other knee a few months back, this one hurts worse though.

Just waiting on the "official" results from the doctor now.

Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I can barely walk this morning. Since that food poisoning Monday I haven't taken any of my Tylenol or Ibuprofen because I dont want to stress my stomach. Also my BP meds..nothing. My BP has been normal thank goodness but my back and hands have been hurting. I mowed, weed eated, and blew off all the grass yesterday and my back is so sore I can barely walk or straighten up. I have to go to town this morning. Was going to trim bushes tomorrow and Saturday. Now no way.

I just took one Aleve to see if that will help enough to get me to town and back. Hope it helps and doesn't make me sick.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That post got me curious. It turns out that the past tense of 'weedeat' is, in fact, 'weedeated.'
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Been one shit of a week.

Monday I got food poisoned and threw up for nearly 7 hours.
Tuesday I wasn't able to do the yard work I had planned. Also pollen is making me sneeze and cough and Im SO sore from puking it hurts like hell. I actually grunt out loud each time.
Wednesday I got to mow. When I cleaned the little dog graves I busted 2 knuckles open.
Today I went to town to get some stuff with those bad knuckles collecting germs. While out I noticed I was bleeding and found Id cut open the tip of my finger. So more germs..stay away COVID. Plus I threw my back out throwing up so barely walked .
Friday I had planned to trim bushes out front but screw it. Im feeling like shit plus Id probably cut off a finger the way this week is going.