Go Fund Me *Updated Sept 1*

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

The Meal

Re: Go Fund Me

Post by The Meal »

Honest question:

Do you think even a pressurized Hazmat suit as designed is absolutely 100% (not 99.9999..%) effective? The virus particles are very small and the process of scrubbing them relies on backup systems and multiple layers of filtering, etc. I'd imagine that it's effectively 100%, but likely not absolutely.

Hospital personnel PPE is going to be a far cry from absolutely protective, even if used with all reasonable proper precautions. Air is still getting into one's nose and lungs, and face/eye guards and paper filters are not going to knock every virus particle out of the airstream in every case. Asking how mass personnel PPE could allow for infection is to misunderstand the mechanism behind how that equipment filters the virus. Multiple layers of filters are a lot like putting together multiple layers of swiss cheese, probabilistically there's still some combination, every now and then, that the "holes" would line up.

Travis, I've shared your story to the extent I can. MHS nearly broke down when I told her everything you've gone through. I'm glad we got together for that Rockies game way back when—best luck to you and your family moving forward.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:28 pm Can I ask - given your PPE, how do you think you got it? I don't know that you'd know for sure, but I've been wondering for medical personnel using PPE who get it, is it most likely a result of faulty PPE? Some instance of contracting it away from the hospital? A lapse (even if brief) in using the PPE? Is it just that there's so much exposure that even if the equipment is filtering 99.99% of virus, that at some point you get enough of a viral load to contract it?

If you don't mind saying - just curious, and always eager to learn more about how contracting the virus happens.
No really way of knowing. What i can tell you i this...

Before i agreed to go to Texas, i asked my friend who had been doing this for weeks, what the PPE situation was. I also asked the company and told them under no circumstance would i care for any patients without proper PPE. Once there, I followed appropriate protocol 100%, or what i felt like was 100% of the time. I'm sure i might have unknowingly exposed myself. But every conscious effort I made was wearing PPE all times.

However, I ate lunch in the break room and cafeteria. Can't wear a mask while eating. Not sure if that's how i picked it up. I have no idea.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

The Meal wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:42 pm Honest question:

Do you think even a pressurized Hazmat suit as designed is absolutely 100% (not 99.9999..%) effective? The virus particles are very small and the process of scrubbing them relies on backup systems and multiple layers of filtering, etc. I'd imagine that it's effectively 100%, but likely not absolutely.

Hospital personnel PPE is going to be a far cry from absolutely protective, even if used with all reasonable proper precautions. Air is still getting into one's nose and lungs, and face/eye guards and paper filters are not going to knock every virus particle out of the airstream in every case. Asking how mass personnel PPE could allow for infection is to misunderstand the mechanism behind how that equipment filters the virus. Multiple layers of filters are a lot like putting together multiple layers of swiss cheese, probabilistically there's still some combination, every now and then, that the "holes" would line up.

Travis, I've shared your story to the extent I can. MHS nearly broke down when I told her everything you've gone through. I'm glad we got together for that Rockies game way back when—best luck to you and your family moving forward.

Thank you! I think of that time we all met up and wish i had got together again with you guys before i moved. Regardless, i really appreciate taking the time to share my story. That means a lot to me and my family.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

*Update*

First off, I was disappointed with my news story. The reporter did a Zoom conference with me and spoke for almost an hour. Additionally, she wrote a story for the stations website. They aired the story at the top of the News at 11 pm. The story came in at about 2 minutes. There are three things with the story I'm disappointed with and to be honest, a bit embarrassed. #1. She asked me about my quarantine in Texas and my hospitalization and not being able to have a visitor for 9 days. My voice cracked and I got chocked up with my answer. I asked her not to include that in her story and she did anyway. #2. She asked what my message would be and what needs to be said about my story. We talked about that for probably 15 minutes and she included absolutely zero in her story. #3. I was asked about support from friends and family and I gave a shout out to my Octopus family and that wasn't included as well :D

I have shared the story with just a few people, but I feel it contributes nothing to my story or message. If you guys really want to see it, I can post it.

Now, how am I doing? I'm making some progress. It's always hard to judge that yourself, but if I'm being honest, things are coming along. My wife is my biggest fan and she told me yesterday after physical therapy she can't believe how much I have improved the past couple weeks. I am able to get up and around the house with just my wife and son on standby. Still need my cane, but I can do it ow my own. I don't need assistance with the restroom and I'm able to fix small/simple meals on by myself. Can't begin to tell you how much it means being able to do this without needing my wife or son.

Yesterday was my third day of physical therapy. I have a really great therapist who knows his stuff. I'm lucky to have him. He has also worked with other Covid patients, so he's familiar with my plight, somewhat. At the beginning of therapy, we walked around the building. That's the most i have walked and I felt pretty good. He estimated it to be 300 ft or so. I'm doing mostly body weight exercises because i still don't have a lot of strength. We use the good ole Chuck Norris Total Body Gym and it's actually a good piece of exercise equipment. Also concentrating on balance exercises. Once I'm off this oxygen, I can get in the pool. Really looking forward to that.

My Covid "fog" is still an issue. My wife talked to my doctor yesterday and she has ordered speech therapy. We have some neuroscientists in town and I've done some reading that this field has been working with post Covid patients. This might be an option if speech therapy agrees. I'm still forgetting simple chores such as taking my medications. I have set an alarm and for whatever reason, i ignore it. I've also forgot how to text someone, while I'm texting. I don't know if forget is the right word, because it's odd behavior. I also seem to get distracted easily. My wife's best friend is a speech therapist and agrees I could use their service.

My oxygen is slowly improving. I can get away with 1.5 liters while I'm sitting around and relaxing, but i need to bump it back to 3 when I'm up and around. I actually feel better about my breathing. When i first got home i was only able to pull about 500 on my incentive spirometer. Today I'm up to around 1500-1700. I still can't completely get a full breath and my lungs are still tight, but it's improving. I also don't have much chest discomfort while breathing that i had a couple weeks back.

So all in all, I'm moving forward. But man, it's a slow process. My wife continues to be amazing. She's back working full time now. She still sets her alarm while i'm sleeping to check to make sure I've kept my oxygen on. I tend to take it off while sleeping. I hoping to be able to clean the kitchen and maybe help with preparing dinner in the next week. She needs a break. Bless her heart she's sleeping by 830pm most nights. No idea how i could be doing this without her.

Lastly, my GoFundMe is over 50% of my goal. We are beyond thankful and can't believe we have gotten the support we have. Again, thank you everyone.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

1. Are your symptoms that you mentioned due to your own immune system overly aggressiveness?

2. Not sure how to phrase this ....is your own experience the rarer side of this according to age that you saw in your own patients?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

So glad to hear you're making progress!
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:09 pm 1. Are your symptoms that you mentioned due to your own immune system overly aggressiveness?

2. Not sure how to phrase this ....is your own experience the rarer side of this according to age that you saw in your own patients?

Not sure what you are asking for question #1. #

2. I only recall a couple patients in my age range when i worked. Their symptoms weren't as severe as mine. I did have several around 10 years older. Some went home on oxygen, some didn't. I think a big difference in my case is looking at the big picture. Working 80+ hours for several weeks didn't help. I was literally worn down and then throw Covid into the mix, perfect storm. I was basically in bed for 3 almost 3 weeks between Texas and the hospital. I think that, along with Covid, took away all energy and set me back from a strength stand point.

Good news is my therapist has a similar patient he started working with 3 months ago. Similar age and similar recovery. That patient was on oxygen and using a can and now he's off and doing well. That type of scenario is my focus. I refuse to let Covid define me. Just going to take some time.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Good to hear that you're continuing to recover!
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wish the best for you Xmann. You're a kind person with a good heart.

With question one I was asking if if was COVID that somehow did all this to you or if it was your own immune system simply overreacting to it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I like hearing the good stuff. Keep it coming and mean it. :D

I'm looking forward to reading my O2 levels are finally at a normalized level.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

You still think it's going to take several more months before you fully recover or do you feel like you're coming along ahead of the original schedule?

Do you still have your job (wherever you worked before you went of to Texas hell)?

Guessing as a nurse, if you are still capable of doing that when you are fully recovered, even if you don't have your old job, getting a new one won't be that difficult, but probably more reassuring to have one already than to have to add that on to the list of things to do when you recover.

Sounds like you're doing pretty good (under the circumstances), keep it up!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

After nearly dying of COVID I dont see how he'd want to go back knowing he could catch it again and the 2nd time is fatal so much it seems.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Xmann. How are you doing now? I haven't seen you post in a week or so, and truly hope you're on the mend
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Hey everyone, here's my update. I was planning on doing it tomorrow, but I'll do it tonight since Ken asked. Thank you by the way

I've done really well since the last update last week. I'm ok without oxygen unless I'm sleeping. I've even been able to do physical therapy without it for the most part. Depending on the exercise, I might need it briefly to help recover. Today was my first day in the pool and I've been looking forward to this since day 1. I'm very thankful for my therapist. My wife is a physical therapist and she tags along to watch and she tells me he's the best physical therapist she's seen in a very long time. He pushes me and forces me to give a little more than I think I can do with each exercise. I contribute a lot of my recovery to him. As a fun side note, I played college baseball with Todd Helton. By chance he started rehab Monday and we've had a good time catching up. Fun to chat about some of our college days, especially since what he accomplished in professional baseball. We both got a kick out of seeing each other. My wife is star stuck but he's just a college teammate and buddy to me.

Unfortunately, still haven't heard back from workers comp and approval for speech therapy. Been over two weeks know since the doctor put the referral in and they haven't returned calls or emails from my wife or my primary care physician. It's shameful, don't know how else to say it. This afternoon my wife talked to our insurance company and as long as it's documented I need speech because of Covid, it's covered 100%. So in an effort to not have to wait however much longer, we are going to use our own insurance so I can start. I still have this weird word finding issue and sometimes can't recall certain things. My doctor's concern is since I'm a RN, I need to work on this. I can't work as a nurse and have trouble remembering my training. As far as health wise, it's not really a huge deal, but I'm not sure I care for sick patients in this state.

Lastly, I'm finally feeling pretty good and my wife tells me I look healthy. I looked back at some pictures she took when I came home 5 weeks ago and it's pretty shocking how bad I looked. The past few days I've started to realize I'm going to be ok and I'm making progress. This weekend we are going to a University of Tennessee baseball game to get me out of the house. I have some contacts and they are going to make some really nice accomodations for us. Attached below is a picture from today of me in the pool.

Thank you again for what everyone has done for me. Whether it was donating to my Go Fund Me or kind words of encouragement, they are all important to me. You guys are truly a family to me.Image
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Fantastic news!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

So happy to hear that you're on the mend. I just watched that NYT nurses video a few minutes ago, so I needed some good news.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Great update. Keep up the hard work and great progress!
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

Great to hear and see that you are getting better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Great update X. Thank you. Umm is that a Borg implant on your left shoulder?
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Excellent news, and you look much better than you did even in your yellow hoodie update from 3 weeks ago.

Also, congratulations on your new membership to the OO exposed nipple(s) club.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Congrats on the speedy recovery! That's awesome!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

:handgestures-thumbup:
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Daehawk wrote:Great update X. Thank you. Umm is that a Borg implant on your left shoulder?
I wish it was something that cool
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Great news! Thanks or the update!
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Kraken wrote:So happy to hear that you're on the mend. I just watched that NYT nurses video a few minutes ago, so I needed some good news.
I watched that as well and it was hard. Been there as a patient and nurse. If I could, I would be doing there right now. I feel their pain because I've been there.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Wow, you've come a long way! Keep 'er going!!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

All good news. Always forward.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Few things to report since the last update.

I recently did a nocturnal oxygen study and I still need to wear it at night. Not the biggest deal, but that's another reminder of how ill i was and i want it gone. My MD wants to check it again in a month. Dang it.

Last Wednesday I had a really tough physical therapy session. My therapist has been great, but he does get a bit carried away and works me out more than he should. Of course I'll do whatever he asks and do it at 110%. My wife has to go so she drives me and she usually keeps me in check. She's also a therapist but does not interfere with my treatment. But Wednesday was strenuous and when we got home my wife was upset. She thought it was too much and not appropriate. Turns out my wife was correct. By Friday I was back using my cane (I haven't had to use it in 2 weeks). By Saturday it was difficult and painful to go from sitting to stand or stand to sit. Additionally, I had a couple instances where i was walking and my knee buckled and almost fell. Sunday evening i had a spell where i had a onset of severe chest pain. I was debating on if it was serious enough to warrant a 911 call. I decided against it and made it through the night. Monday morning i called my MD and I had an appointment that afternoon.

Chest pain turns out to be Costochondritis, which is inflammation of the connective tissue cartilage by my sternum. That was good news. My muscle pain was better, but still painful and difficult to walk. She was concerned about an elevated CPK (creatine phosphokinase) and muscle damage. She drew labs and sent them off. She also took me off therapy until labs came back. Earlier this afternoon my phone rings and I see it's her. I know she's not calling to tell me things are normal. In fact, my CPK is elavated 4x the norm. This explains the muscle pain and physical setback, so to speak. Perhaps even my chest pain. Good news is that i have great kidney function and hydration and rest should resolve the issue. Had i not, i would be hospitalized and the concern would be for Rhabdomyolysis. I'll get my CPK rechecked next week. My soreness and pain has dramatically resolved and I'm getting around fine without the cane.

I also had my first speech therapy session on Tuesday. Essentially, i went through numerous cognition tests to gauge where i stand. I left feeling defeated because the tests were hard. I had trouble staying on track and my patience and concentration was thin. She gave me stuff to work and practice with, but I was down and a bit depressed if I'm being honest. My wife ended up calling and speaking with the speech therapist and told her I really didn't do bad at all. The tests were difficult and comparing those with similar individuals like myself, I did fine. She does however she some of the "Covid fog" we hear about, but nothing overly concerning. I'm thankful she works with recovering Covid patients and has a good baseline of where I'm at. I'll see her again next week.

So while this all sounds awful, I'm doing pretty good. My doctor did say that I've recovered much quicker than she expected. Without really knowing or having much experience herself with Covid recovery, she thinks in the next 6 weeks I could return to work. She wants me to look for volunteer opportunities and try and work 4 or 5 hours a couple days a week. This would be a good indication on my activity tolerance.

There you have it. I'm feeling much better and my complaints are few and far between. I know that's not what it is looking like after reading this, but it's true. I'm walking a couple miles a day around the block while the wife is working and my respiratory is stable. I'm just a very thankful person right now. I could be selfish and wish this and wish that for my recovery. But I'm alive and progressing well. Not sure what more I could ask for.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Thanks for keeping us posted. Sorry to hear about the setbacks, but things seem to be mostly progressing, which is great.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wow, you look so much better in that pool shot, congrats on the recovery to date.

Was this recent setback caused by the overly aggressive rehab?
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Glad you ended that by noting it wasn't that bad cause those setbacks sound pretty horrific!

Also glad you're doing so well overall on your recovery.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Yeah, I'm actually doing pretty good. I know that update sounds really bad, but I'm good. Had my kidneys took a hit, I would have been in the hospital with rhabdomyolysis and this update would be different.

The therapy is the culprit but maybe some post Covid as well. I haven't had any abnormal muscle issues until now. But muscle aches are a complaint post Covid for many people. Still with some mild soreness, but the severe pain and debility has resolved.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Thanks for the update. I'm zooming with some old friends tomorrow night, one of whom is a doctor who's interested in your story (and covid stories in general). So much left to learn about this disease.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Sounds like two steps forward one step backward, and another reminder of how bad Covid-19 can be as a disease. Really glad to hear things are generally positive for you on the road to recovery. Wish there were better news for you ability to hold someone accountable for what happened to you and security for you and your family moving forward into the summer.

Thanks for sharing with us. Hope future recovery is nothing but steps forward.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

The Meal wrote:Sounds like two steps forward one step backward, and another reminder of how bad Covid-19 can be as a disease. Really glad to hear things are generally positive for you on the road to recovery. Wish there were better news for you ability to hold someone accountable for what happened to you and security for you and your family moving forward into the summer.

Thanks for sharing with us. Hope future recovery is nothing but steps forward.
Thank you.

I have talked with attorneys in Tennessee, Kansas, and Texas and no one said they could help. Pretty disheartening with the uncertainty going forward.

But overall, yeah, I'm doing good. I've got little reason to complain. I'm thankful because it could be much much worse.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

:horse:

I'm not a big legal guy but in your case, may you find the representation and support you need. So glad you're in good spirits and relatively good health.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Our local news does stories like your's....or used to. Always seemed to help.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Pretty good update today

My CPK came back normal yesterday. MD called and told me to take it easy at therapy this week, but I'm out of the danger zone. I've noticed my muscle ache and weakness is resolved, so that's good news. I'll restart physical therapy Monday.

Early this week, I got a surprise call from a local hospital looking for a nurse manager for their rehab unit. I managed a rehab unit in Colorado, so I'm familiar with the patient population and I enjoy these patients. I kindly told the administrator I'm recovering from Covid, but I'd love to have more information about the position. I also told her I'm probably another 4-6 weeks from being released by my MD to return to work. She then scrambled to have the other administrators interview me via Zoom. Interview went great and they were understanding about my recovery. Yesterday I get a call from the administrator and they want me to come in and meet with the team and see the rehab unit. They told me not to worry about the recovery because they really like me and there's no rush from them. I see my MD in two weeks and we'll talk about a possible return to work in a month. They all but hired me and said to let them know when I'm cleared for work. This job sounds very promising and what I was hoping I could find. I won't be doing the long 12 hours and I'll be helping do more of managing the unit from a administrator perspective. No stress in staffing the unit, no stress in managing the employees, and no on call responsibilities. Monday-Friday 8-4:30 and off holidays.

So a good week was had. Still wearing oxygen at night, but I'm very thankful at this point.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Xmann wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:28 pm
Early this week, I got a surprise call from a local hospital looking for a nurse manager for their rehab unit. I managed a rehab unit in Colorado, so I'm familiar with the patient population and I enjoy these patients. I kindly told the administrator I'm recovering from Covid, but I'd love to have more information about the position. I also told her I'm probably another 4-6 weeks from being released by my MD to return to work. She then scrambled to have the other administrators interview me via Zoom. Interview went great and they were understanding about my recovery. Yesterday I get a call from the administrator and they want me to come in and meet with the team and see the rehab unit. They told me not to worry about the recovery because they really like me and there's no rush from them. I see my MD in two weeks and we'll talk about a possible return to work in a month. They all but hired me and said to let them know when I'm cleared for work. This job sounds very promising and what I was hoping I could find. I won't be doing the long 12 hours and I'll be helping do more of managing the unit from a administrator perspective. No stress in staffing the unit, no stress in managing the employees, and no on call responsibilities. Monday-Friday 8-4:30 and off holidays.
wow, that's good to hear
naednek

Post by naednek »

Xmann wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:28 pm no stress in managing the employees,

LOL :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"