[COVID] Internet Subsidies for families

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

[COVID] Internet Subsidies for families

Post by stessier »

FCC approves $50 monthly internet subsidies for low-income households during pandemic

From the article -
Households eligible for the program include those who use food stamps, are on Medicaid, or who have received a Pell grant. Also eligible are those who've lost their jobs during the pandemic.
I'm not sure if that list is exhaustive, so it might be worth checking out even if you don't meet those criteria.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Octavious

Re: [COVID] Internet Subsidies for families

Post by Octavious »

I'm guessing that my ISP being soul sucking asses doesn't make me qualify. I'm paying 150 bucks a month for just phone and internet. :shock:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Octavious wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:54 pm I'm guessing that my ISP being soul sucking asses doesn't make me qualify. I'm paying 150 bucks a month for just phone and internet. :shock:
I was going to sputter and cough until I remembered that I'm paying $50 for internet and $80 for 2 cell lines.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I am paying for the upgraded speed but still...Dicks know we have no other choice.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Paingod wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:31 pm
Octavious wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:54 pm I'm guessing that my ISP being soul sucking asses doesn't make me qualify. I'm paying 150 bucks a month for just phone and internet. :shock:
I was going to sputter and cough until I remembered that I'm paying $50 for internet and $80 for 2 cell lines.
So cheap! My internet is $100, and my phones are $130.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

This probably belongs in R&P because it's a political decision.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Lorini wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:52 pm This probably belongs in R&P because it's a political decision.
I disagree. The discussion around it may turn political, but simply making people aware of assistance is not and it will get more eyeballs here than in R&P.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Little more info

https://www.consumerreports.org/broadba ... et-access/

I could safely bet a gold dragon egg that Charter wont support it. They dont help poor here at all even though they are supposed to have a basic package for them at a $15 price.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

If the pandemic taught us nothing else, it's that broadband should be a public utility on a par with electric and water. We all need it for economic and social survival. If subsidizing people so they can pay for-profit corporations is the only way we can achieve that, then fine, let's do that. There is a better way, but only in R&P. :D
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

When businesses continue to move to work-from-home, and shoddy internet companies keep charging so much for a decent connection that employees can't afford it, or outages shut down the business with a repair time of 'eventually', corporations may start to come around. I doubt it, though.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone still going to take advantage of this. It seems the $50 is a 1 time thing. My ISP..Charter Spectrum is doing it...not sure when.

Also looking into that $100 one time fund for a laptop or tablet. I need a good tablet so started looking. YEESH....finding any tablet within their params is impossible. To use it it must be at least $100 and you must pay at least $10 but under $50. Samsungs and such start at over $200. The only stuff that comes close to qualifying is Amazon Fire...HATE them as they are slow. And they break easy. And have ads. List goes on. But you might be able to get a 32 gig 8"...which is NOT enough space. Trust me I know this. 64 gig is what you need and a 10"...but that is not in the price and requirements range.
stessier

Post by stessier »

When is today - although the website keeps crashing. Worth trying though! Make sure you have the information they are going to ask for ready.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

From what Ive read you sign up on your ISPs site so Ill try there.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Ouch, and I thought we were paying too much.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok I signed up at my ISP about 3 hours ago. Charter Spectrum. Just got an email from them saying Im approved. It should appear on my account within 30 days.

Not sure how to get that $100 towards a tablet.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok looking at the wording it looks like the FCC thinks that ISP sell tablets and desktops or something because it says to contact them about using the $100 towards one. That makes no sense. Mine doesn't have those at all. I was expecting to get one at a store of some kind or an online store. wth.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

"They will also be eligible for a one-time discount of up to $100 to purchase a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet from participating providers if they contribute more than $10 and less than $50 toward the purchase price."
The key language there is "participating providers". If your ISP doesn't provide hardware (and honestly, I don't know of one that does), that's the rub.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya saw a list. Not many did. Even the FCC says not many do. It provided links to non profits but I dont want to go that route when others need stuff more. Ill just let it go.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

You may want to check with Spectrum because their Mobile "side" does sell tablets: https://mobile.spectrum.com/products?ta ... y=rank-asc

Don't know if it would be considered part of Charter Spectrum ISP per se, but you could call and ask.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looks like its all Apple but I refuse to ever own Apple again. Plus it being Apple Im sure its way too high for that benefit program. They only allow $100 with you spending more than $10 but less than $50. So would need to be $130 for it plus tax.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Strangeness is afoot. My monthly bill is $74. I was approved for the $50 Gov help benefit. But my bill states I owe $0 for this month and have a $25 credit towards next month. Man if Spectrum has screwed up Im sure Ill end up paying for it somehow.