Are you stimulating?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

What will you do with your stimulus check?

My what now? No, I'm not bitter
32%
My what now? Yeah, I'm bitter
3%
Spending on necessities
11%
Spending on luxuries
9%
Spending on experiences
2%
Paying down debt
15%
Paying taxes
6%
Saving
18%
Investing
2%
Other
3%

Total votes: 66

Skinypupy

Re: Are you stimulating?

Post by Skinypupy »

Guess I’ll have to change my vote. I didn’t think we were getting anything, but we apparently were just under the household threshold. So a big chunk appeared in my account this morning.

Will be a mix of savings and donations, most likely.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

mori wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:00 amNo plans for it and it will sit so I chose other.

*Political* I do wish this was not such a huge bill. We should only be spending the money on those that need it the most. I don't need it as my income has changed little and I know this will cost us more down the road.
I understand your thought process here, and I think that it's important to understand what is happening, and why it really isn't about whether you "need" it. This is stimulus money. It's purpose is to STIMULATE. There are things that you can do with it so that it still has its intended purpose. Sitting in a bank account isn't one of those things. Donating it to people/orgs that you think do need it? Injecting that money into your local economy in ways that help people or businesses that might be struggling. There are ways to make that productive, even though you don't personally need it to survive.

You can help further target it to people/businesses that you do think need the help to survive.

Edit to add - you certainly can leave it in your bank account, as I personally believe that insulating yourself from possible future hardship is also acceptable. Just reminding you of options that are out there that could still put that stimulus money to good use stimulating.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If you dont want or need it you can paypal it to me :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

mori wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:00 am No plans for it and it will sit so I chose other.

*Political* I do wish this was not such a huge bill. We should only be spending the money on those that need it the most. I don't need it as my income has changed little and I know this will cost us more down the road.
You've got the opportunity to give it to those you consider most in need now.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:40 pm
Lorini wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:44 am Vet visits for my five pets, a chest of drawers so I don't have to live out of two hampers anymore, and the rest for cons I'm hopeful to happy in November.
All mod cons?
Board game Cons. One in Seattle and one in Texas where I might see Isgrimmur and coopasonic again, BGG con.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:dance:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Lassr wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:21 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:46 pm
Lassr wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:11 pm Replenish savings as my ex-wife got half of savings as of last week. Luckily, my taxes still show married so I get full amount.
Sounds like the last six months haven't been pleasant. I hope the outcome is to everyone's long-term benefit.
Shocking is more like it. We're still friends, she just felt we had nothing in common anymore. I think midlife crisis after her mom passed.
:(
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

My kid is 15 and will be a junior next year so it's going straight into the college savings plan.

My wife's company got bought by an investment firm last year (boo!) and the old ownership decided to share the wealth with current employees (yay!). She's getting a bonus equal to about 150% of her yearly pay which we're just going to save. Neither of us are entirely comfortable with the long-term prognosis for her company but that certainly gives us a nice cushion.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Our 2019 AGI was well under the $150K for married couples, we've always got the full stimulus amount for us and our 2 kids. So we were expecting $5200 this time around. Got a letter from the IRS saying we're only getting $2400. WTF? I can't seem to find a way to contest the amount. There are ways to track down missing payments, but nothing I can find for incorrectly calculated ones.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I just noticed, while the date on the notice is this past Friday, the text refers to EIP2, which was indeed $2400, and not the EIP3 going out now. Still hopeful the proper amount appears in my bank account.
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm checking my bank account twice a day. Doing so is moderately stimulating. Does that count?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Just read an article on Yahoo that said the next batch will be direct deposited tomorrow March 17th at 8:30 EDT.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:53 pm Just read an article on Yahoo that said the next batch will be direct deposited tomorrow March 17th at 8:30 EDT.
Just in time to hoist a green beer to St. Patty.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm crossing my fingers. We had some big, unexpected expenses hit this month (stupid car), and we could really, really use that money sooner rather than later. :|
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Jeff V wrote:I just noticed, while the date on the notice is this past Friday, the text refers to EIP2, which was indeed $2400, and not the EIP3 going out now. Still hopeful the proper amount appears in my bank account.
We got that same letter in just the past few days. It was really confusing.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:07 pm I'm crossing my fingers. We had some big, unexpected expenses hit this month (stupid car), and we could really, really use that money sooner rather than later. :|
Yeah, earlier I said that although I like free money as much as the next guy, we didn't really need it. Things changed when I got a huge unexpected tax bill. There's been a lot of other large and necessary expenses, too, and our savings account is bleeding out.

The first stimulus payment went right into our checking account -- the one we've had for 30+ years, and that the IRS has been depositing to and withdrawing from for at least 10 of those years. The second one inexplicably came in the mail. Now I don't know how to expect this one to come, so I'm not holding my breath.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm just hoping. This is the first time in several years where I'm checking balances and getting nervous.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive been checking mine many times a day since Friday. Im really need it to get items I MUST have for my sick and elderly dog and such. Plus can fix the car after 5 years or more.Well fix one or two things. Plus my push mower is really bad . It started blade smacking the deck VERY LOUDLY last year and is hard to start and use now. Need a used rider.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

msteelers wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:49 pm
Jeff V wrote:I just noticed, while the date on the notice is this past Friday, the text refers to EIP2, which was indeed $2400, and not the EIP3 going out now. Still hopeful the proper amount appears in my bank account.
We got that same letter in just the past few days. It was really confusing.
The direct deposit was correct. So now I can share that amusing letter with my wife, she would have been worried/enraged throughout her double shift yesterday had I told her about it.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

I got mine today. There is a government site (IRS?) where you can check when you are supposed to get it. I checked on Saturday and it accurately said I'd get it today.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

stessier wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:25 am I got mine today. There is a government site (IRS?) where you can check when you are supposed to get it. I checked on Saturday and it accurately said I'd get it today.

I've checked every day. Every day it is,"Payment Status - Not Available", which apparently means absolutely nothing.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Mine was in the checking account this morning.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Got ours today as well. At this point the government can just go ahead and deposit all of our stuff into Ashley Furniture's bank account. Not sure why I have to be the middle man.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I'M RICH!!!!!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Wife said I could get a new computer if we aren't fisted with taxes. No word on when the accountant is going to get to it.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:horse:
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

No sign of mine yet, though I should be eligible whether based on my 2019 or 2020 taxes. I think last time it took a couple weeks for me. Also, my Schwab checking account has always been a bit bad at showing pending transactions.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:31 am
stessier wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:25 am I got mine today. There is a government site (IRS?) where you can check when you are supposed to get it. I checked on Saturday and it accurately said I'd get it today.

I've checked every day. Every day it is,"Payment Status - Not Available", which apparently means absolutely nothing.
Can you slide over and make some room please since we are in the same boat.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Brian wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:03 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:31 am

Can you slide over and make some room please since we are in the same boat.
I've been in the same boat as you before. One of us invariably ends up swimming. Or exploded.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:09 pm I've been in the same boat as you before. One of us invariably ends up swimming. Or exploded.
Not always. Sometimes it's the other poor, dumb bastard that ends up exploding.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

We got our money in the checking account this morning. Good thing too because my wife suggested that instead of trying to find flamingo sculptures for the front lawn we hire an artist to paint a couple of them on our side shed. Not quite sure how that might work out :roll:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Brian wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:21 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:09 pm I've been in the same boat as you before. One of us invariably ends up swimming. Or exploded.
Not always. Sometimes it's the other poor, dumb bastard that ends up exploding.

Spoiler:

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

My account has said pending since Friday and it finally went through today.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Why is Geralt chucking dynamite at people?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My sister got her's this morning. Me still nothing.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:47 pm Why is Geralt chucking dynamite at people?
That was my first thought too.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

To protect Lem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I got almost 0 in round two, 0 in round three and I only assume it will be 0 in round 4. I'm OK with that but I won't be stimulating.
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:55 pm I got almost 0 in round two, 0 in round three and I only assume it will be 0 in round 4. I'm OK with that but I won't be stimulating.
They lowered the income limits compared to round 2, so I think your analysis is correct.