Are you stimulating?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

What will you do with your stimulus check?

My what now? No, I'm not bitter
32%
My what now? Yeah, I'm bitter
3%
Spending on necessities
11%
Spending on luxuries
9%
Spending on experiences
2%
Paying down debt
15%
Paying taxes
6%
Saving
18%
Investing
2%
Other
3%

Total votes: 66

Xmann

Re: Are you stimulating?

Post by Xmann »

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Octavious wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:05 am
100,000 won you're rich! Goes and does the conversion...ohhh ;)
[/quote]

:D

It feels weird. It's not enough to make a big purchase (new computer, espresso machine, or so one) but it's way to big to try to spend it on coffee's at the local coffee shop. It would be perfect if we were willing to go out to eat but my wife is even more hesitant than I am so we'd have to find places that have outdoor seating. Plus it is only the provincial government not the Seoul metro government. The closest situation is that we live in a bland Maryland suburb and can't take the money and spend it in DC. The weather is getting nice - I suppose I'll buy some ribs and grill out.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Social Security sends beneficiary info to IRS for stimulus payments
The Social Security Administration transmitted the necessary information Thursday to the Internal Revenue Service so it can begin sending Economic Impact Payments to nearly 30 million beneficiaries after an ultimatum from Congress.

On Wednesday afternoon, a group of Democrats on the tax-writing House Ways and Means Committee had complained about the slowdown in sending payments to retirees and others who depend on benefits in a letter to SSA Commissioner Andrew Saul, giving him 24 hours to send the information. On Monday, several Democratic leaders on the committee had written to the IRS Commissioner and the SSA about the delays in payments to Social Security, Supplemental Security Income, Railroad Retirement Board, and Veterans Affairs beneficiaries (see story). The IRS informed them that the problem was that the SSA hadn’t sent over the information.
Saul and his deputy administrator have come under fire from some Democrats as a holdover from the Trump administration who has been undermining Social Security benefits. “As agents of the Trump Social Security agenda, they cut the benefits that hardworking Americans have earned, attacked the Social Security Administration’s employees, denied beneficiaries due process, and needlessly increased disability reviews during the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Sen. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, in a statement last week. “No one has been safe from their path of destruction.”
The GOP tries to hurt Americans at every turn and yet half of them still vote for them.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Apparently we're taking the stimulation in another direction :roll:. When we visited Wekiva Springs this week, which is a bit of a steep walk down to the water, or a number of switchbacks on an ADA ramp, my wife was pretty wiped walking down. At the bottom was a lady on a mobility scooter and my wife and her started talking about it and now the wife thinks the scooter will be just the thing she needs when we start going back to Disney or on other excursions. She can still walk but slowly and she tires quickly.

While I of course would like her to have the one she's picked out, I had to do some investigating. It weighs about seventy 130 pounds, but breaks down into pieces the heaviest of which is 45 pounds. I can still manage that much weight (so far) into the back of the minivan, and she intends to use it only on trips, not market shopping, since our Publix and Walmarts tend to always have scooters available. They do make little trailers so you can mount it on the back of a car, but in Florida summers that won't be something I'd want to deal with because of the rain.

Mind you, for me I'd rather check out one of these babies that can go three times faster than the one she picked out, but it weighs almost a fifth of a ton so I'd need a new car to carry it :lol:
Enlarge Image
Last edited by jztemple2 on Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

That is a sweet ride. I'd add a yellow/orange flame decal though.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My wife for some reason is pining for a pickup truck. Odd, because our necks aren't red, and we have no real practical use for one that couldn't be better served with an SUV (which we already have) or a minivan. I told her the only use I would have for a pickup truck is if we had a boat hitched behind it.

Last year before I lost my job, she was not opposed to getting a boat provided we got some of our bills paid off (which we did). One suitable for our needs would run about $150/month with financing. When we had that conversation, I kind of omitted the fact our SUV (a Nissan Rogue) is too under powered to tow it well.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

In 2016 I finally gave up my big four door sedan so we could have a second minivan in the family, since during tax season she as district manager and me as tech support were both carrying around lots of computers, printers, paper and whatnot. Much as I loved my big Mercury Grand Marquis, I really do like our Dodge Caravans with the Stow 'n Go option where the middle and back seats fold flush into the floor, making a nice big flat expanse.

I do believe the Chrysler Pacifica (the fancy version of the Caravan) can tow 3,600 lbs, but it doesn't appear it has Stow 'n Go. Damn, I was so looking forward to talking my wife into getting me a Pacifica when her old van died :roll:

Update: Although it doesn't show on the Chrysler build page, apparently Stow 'n Go is the standard configuration. So that's good to know.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I remember when the Pacifica first came out. I was driving an Xterra and it was in the shop for a day as they investigated a mysterious problem. The dealer dropped me off at the train station -- but was no where to be seen when I came in on the afternoon train. After the debarking crowd dispersed, there was just me and a smoking hot young lady...who came up and started talking to me. She was actually hired by a Chrysler dealer to show off the Pacifica, and invite all who would give her the time of day to a day-long event that included test drives and bratwurst. She was excited to show me the car, because at that point I was a rather captive audience. She mentioned it had the best features of a minivan along with the drive train of an SUV. I asked her, "Be honest. Guy picks you for a date driving one of these. Is he getting any?" She laughed, and admitted, "probably not."

For a towing vehicle, I'd prefer going with an SUV based on a truck chassis (not an up-sized car like my Rogue). Toyota 4-Runner, GMC anything, etc. A pickup truck would just be a largely useless flat bed that gets super-shitty mileage. A towing vehicle for a boat probably wouldn't be an everyday vehicle, although if I have to agree to her pickup truck fetish to have a boat, she'd probably drive the truck to work.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Our family vehicle is an F150 and I tow my boat with it; much safer than when I tried to tow behind the explorer - it did the job, but it was a more white knuckle experience on the highway in any kind of wind or bumpy/construction. That and the SUVs aren't great on the more shallow boat ramps -- water would get awfully damn close to the rear hatch line in order to be deep enough to get the boat to float off the bunks.

That and the F150 supercrew has a shitload more room for kids + dogs + crap; and the mileage is about the same as the explorer from our hands on experience (Not while towing.. definitely not good mileage then!).
No.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:58 am
Jeff V wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:11 am So the punchline on taxes was not amusing. Not sure if the wife will let me stimulus myself
The punchline was not what you thought it was. :ninja:

Also, dude, please keep us informed of any news in this regard.
I had the Zoom session with the accountant today. Between the time she sent me the first draft of the taxes and today, she was able to include a $10,400 exemption to unemployment that was paid, so the punchline turned more amusing, to the tune of +$10 (woohoo!) Trickledown added $500 more to the state refund, so the laptop will ultimately be funded without using stimulus at all!
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still squat.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:29 pmStill squat.
I heard it would be about a week from the time the SSA sent the info over, which was the day before yesterday. I'm hoping it'll come next week, but the week after is possible, too.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Because of that shit that runs the SSA I missed out on helping my dog that passed today. I could have done so much more .
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Today was the end-of-month reckoning for all the expenses incurred so far in trashing out our Lansing house. Let's just say that I had to throw in a lot more than the stimulus check. I'm glad we had it, because I couldn't have quite paid off the charges otherwise.

Next up is hiring an exterminator to get rid of the mice and squirrels that have made the place their own. After that, we're going to invest in paint, carpeting, etc. to bring it up to market value -- it's a real dump that only a flipper would want now. The realtor believes a $20,000 investment will raise its value by $50,000.

We're gonna need a bigger stimulus. :lol:
Brian

Post by Brian »

Current Status (Week Three):

2nd Stimulus: Supposedly getting it in my Tax Refund
3rd Stimulus: "Payment Status - Not Available"

Federal Tax Return: "We cannot provide any information about your refund"
Arizona Tax Return: "We are unable to locate your tax return"
Nebraska Tax Return: "Information on the status of your refund is not available"
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm still 'Payment Status - Not Available.'

Luckily, Michelle got her portion in, so we're safe for now.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Bought another piece for my sim rig, but otherwise we're just sitting on the money for now. As soon as things clear up we're going to do a heck of a vacation. The kiddo only has a few more years until college, so times a ticking. :(
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

no
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:24 pmno
Multiple news sources are reporting that they've finished processing the data that the SSA was finally forced to send over, and non-filing SS/disability/RR retirement recipients (IE - us) will start receiving their payments next week.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Money comes in.

Money goes out.

I don't know how people say that 'this penny' is being spent on X, while another penny is being spent on Y.

I guess I am pretending that the stimulus $ went toward my property tax bill... But I could also say I paid that with my own money and that I'm using the stimulus to pay off Credit Card and Utility Bills... But I could also say I saved all of the stimulus and didn't touch it, while I used my other money to pay for property tax and utilities, etc....
stessier

Post by stessier »

I don't know how people say that 'this penny' is being spent on X, while another penny is being spent on Y.
Have you ever had a budget? (Not being snarky.) It's pretty easy with one to say exactly that.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Unagi wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:07 am Money comes in.

Money goes out.

For people without a lot of disposable income, the month to month normal money influx is generally already accounted for by necessities. Any income above and beyond the norm (stimulus, tax refund, 3 paycheck month) becomes a rare event of money that doesn't already have a set purpose.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Got my paper check today and promptly deposited it with my bank's cell phone app. (That will always feel bizarre to me).

See y'all back here in a few months for Stimulus IV: The Voyage Home.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

no
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

wonderpug wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:37 am
Unagi wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:07 am Money comes in.

Money goes out.

For people without a lot of disposable income, the month to month normal money influx is generally already accounted for by necessities. Any income above and beyond the norm (stimulus, tax refund, 3 paycheck month) becomes a rare event of money that doesn't already have a set purpose.
I put the whole thing in the savings account. If I need to take anything out of there I spent some of it. Otherwise I'm going off what I already make. Pretty simple... I have to do my taxes and that's when I know I'm taking a chunk out.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Brian

Post by Brian »

Current Status (Week Four):

2nd Stimulus: Supposedly getting it in my Tax Refund
3rd Stimulus: "Payment Status - Not Available"

Federal Tax Return: "We cannot provide any information about your refund"
Arizona Tax Return: "We are unable to locate your tax return"
Nebraska Tax Return: "Information on the status of your refund is not available"
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

no
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:08 pmno

Link (First site that listed it.)
Social Security and Supplementary Security Disability Income beneficiaries who haven’t received their $1,400 stimulus checks will likely get their payments this week, according to the Internal Revenue Service.

[snip]

The IRS began issuing the payments last weekend and projects the majority of the payments will be sent electronically and received on April 7. In total, the third batch includes more than 4 million payments, with a total value of more than $10 billion.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hope so. Need a few items.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Out of nowhere I have deposit pending. I can only assume they got my 2020 tax return and re-evaluted my worthiness based on furloughs and "half pay" pay periods endured (My 2020 take home pay went down noticeably, even if I was still well within my means). It's a token amount but that token amount is going to pay for some medical supplies my doctor insists I need, like an at home blood pressure cuff. So I'm still not stimulating but I am using the money for relief for unplanned expenses.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My doctor also wants me to have that bp cuff. She even wrote a prescription hoping a medical supply pharmacy would fill it for me but alas no. So I aint getting one. She said I could always come in to get it taken...where sick people tend to gather....or get a pharmacy to do it....where sick people tend to gather.....not taken it yet.
Last edited by Daehawk on Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'd say BP cuffs are covered but I just checked TN and they're not. WTF? They're covered here and MI and everywhere else I've had to check.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:45 am My doctor also wants me to have that bp cuff. She even wrote a prescription hoping a medical supply pharmacy would fill it for me but alas no. So I aint getting one. She said I could always come in to get it taken...where sick people tend to gather....or get a pharmacy to do it....where sick people tend to gather.....not taken it yet.
Amazon has them for ~$23. Seems pretty reasonable.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If I get a stimulus Ill look into it
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive gotten this for 2 days.
Errors have occurred:
The information you have entered does not match our records. Please try again.
Its the same info I always enter. In fact the only thing I have to enter is my SS# because I only have to enter the first digit of the rest of the boxes and it fills in what I have entered the first time.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

yes
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:42 pm I'd say BP cuffs are covered but I just checked TN and they're not. WTF? They're covered here and MI and everywhere else I've had to check.
Mine was not. The one my doc recommended was shy of $40 on Amazon
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Mine came in this morning. Three times. I'm confused.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:05 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:42 pm I'd say BP cuffs are covered but I just checked TN and they're not. WTF? They're covered here and MI and everywhere else I've had to check.
Mine was not. The one my doc recommended was shy of $40 on Amazon
Private insurance vs. public aid.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT