MLB 2021 Post Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

naednek

Re: MLB 2021 Regular Season

Post by naednek »

that was a little rough in the 6th inning during the giants vs padres game. But we managed to squeeze in another run to win the game and watch the Dodgers lose 9-2 against the Angels, putting them 2.5 games ahead of the Dodgers :) A good night if you ask me!
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
naednek

Post by naednek »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:07 pm Oh, and the people who REALLY need to adjust to the shift are the TV directors. They NEVER show the shifts - it should be at least a mandatory cut shot, and they should update the baserunner graphics to illustrate the shift.

During the Giants\Padres game tonight they showed the shift various times.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

In the not too distant future.....

"It's the top of the 9th, Dodgers ahead 26-0. Mookie Betts comes up to lead off, with Clayton Kershaw throwing his 136th pitch at the bottom of the ninth."

In other news. the Red Sox still have a chance to draft one of Mookie's kids apparently.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Wow, the Angels and Dodgers dialed up another slugfest and a pitchers duel broke out. Angels take this freeway series 2-1.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

5 wins in a row for the Mets. They still aren't hitting all that well, but their pitching is pretty much lights out. Lindor seems to be coming to life finally. Degrom left the game early with a sore side. Sucks, but at least it's not his shoulder. :shock:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Report is that it's no major, but will likely end up on the 10 day injured list. Wouldn't be the end of the world if he misses a couple of spots. Better safe than sorry as so far he's been freaking insane. 0.68 ERA with 40 innings pitched :shock:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Matt Harvey will pitch against the Mets tomorrow. He's sporting a 3.60 ERA which might be the most shocking thing for me this season.

He was kind of a.dick.when he was riding high, but seems to have mellowed out. I do want his ass handed to home tomorrow of course though.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I seem to recall he had a cup of coffee with the Angels. Got shelled and let go. You must be pretty bad if you can't make it on that staff.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Ohtani struck out 10 yesterday against the Astros, going 7 and giving up just one run in a no-decision. He went 1-4 at the plate (amazingly no HR). But the best part: when they relieved him in the 8th, he stayed in the game and was shifted to left to keep his bat in the lineup at the 2-hole.

Don't ever recall seeing that.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya I was thinking he was all hype, but he's really showing that he's something else.

Unrelated the Mets have won 6 in a row even though they still aren't really hitting that well. What the Mets did in the offseason is really paying off. They focused on a few big players and on building depth. The depth they built so far has worked super well. We have Nimmo and Davis out and Villar and Pillar (Seriously you can't make this shit up) have been fantastic in filling in.

Today they are facing Matt Harvey. Sadly it's a day game so I can't really watch, but that should be interesting. 17-13 while they aren't even playing that well is a really good sign. If they start clicking holy crap. Generally what happens though is the bats come to life and the pitching backslides a bit. We'll see.

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Glad to see you are happy about your team Octavious. My team actually looked like themselves finally yesterday in a comeback 6-4 win with Jansen closing out the game. As Rick Monday said on the radio (I listen to games on the radio in memory of my late father who always was working on stuff around the house listening to Vin Scully), 'it's still early' ended the first day of the season.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:34 am Ohtani struck out 10 yesterday against the Astros, going and giving up just one run in a no-decision. He went 1-4 at the plate (amazingly no HR). But the best part: when they relieved him in the 8th, he stayed in the game and was shifted to left to keep his bat in the lineup at the 2-hole.

He also runs the bases like a madman. Incredible athlete.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I would be happy if they sniff the playoffs this year. I'm under no delusions that a new owner can fly in and fix things in one season. As long as they are being run like a large market team I'll be happy.

It's ridiculous that we were jumping for joy when they had a BIG signing of Jason Bay back in the day. This is a freaking NY big market team act like it. ;)

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:28 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:34 am Ohtani struck out 10 yesterday against the Astros, going and giving up just one run in a no-decision. He went 1-4 at the plate (amazingly no HR). But the best part: when they relieved him in the 8th, he stayed in the game and was shifted to left to keep his bat in the lineup at the 2-hole.

Is this all physically sustainable, though? I just wonder whether Ohtani's going to wind up with a short career where he gets like half a dozen severe injuries.
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Mets welcomed Harvey back by slapping him with 5 runs and chasing him out early. I'm sure that's not how he wanted this day to go.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Make that 7 as the runners on base scored too. Ouchh....

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Geez you didn't think Trout could get any better but he is having a great start to the season. .347 batting average, .463 on base percentage, .649 slugging percentage. He may go down in history as the best pro player in any sport not to get to show his stuff in a Finals championship. The Angels should have let him go to a team that could get him there (no, not necessarily the Dodgers, there's a lot of good teams that he'd put over the top). Just goes to show you how dependent a player is in baseball on the rest of the team. No Big Two's or Big Three's in MLB, you need a lot more parts than that to get to the World Series.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The Padres thrash the Cardinals 13-3 without Tatis, Meyers, Profar or Hosmer. They pull within .5 games of the Giants. So sweet to gain ground by beating the hated Cards.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:34 am

Is this all physically sustainable, though? I just wonder whether Ohtani's going to wind up with a short career where he gets like half a dozen severe injuries.
I think it's sustainable over a career, barring freak injury, but he needs special accomodations week to week. I think they just pushed a start back due to fatigue. Takes extra effort to manage the rotation. But as long as he's pitching like a solid #2 and hitting like Trout, it's probably worth it.

If you look at him like a DH who can pitch rather than a pitcher that can hit, it's easier to stomach.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
naednek

Post by naednek »

Giants blew two commanding leads against the Pirates. Get it together Giants, can't afford games losses like these.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:17 pm

I think it's sustainable over a career, barring freak injury, but he needs special accomodations week to week. I think they just pushed a start back due to fatigue. Takes extra effort to manage the rotation. But as long as he's pitching like a solid #2 and hitting like Trout, it's probably worth it.

If you look at him like a DH who can pitch rather than a pitcher that can hit, it's easier to stomach.
And Ohtani does it again - winning home run with 2 outs in the top of the ninth at Fenway.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well see you next season. Mets have like no starting fielders left. :lol:

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Padres come from behind to sweep the Cardinals!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Dropped 3 to the Rays and half our starting fielders are out. Sucks but there's not much you can do about that. Right before a big series with the Braves too. Sigh

*I need to stop posting from my phone that loves to just replace random words.* :lol:
Last edited by Octavious on Mon May 17, 2021 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

White Sox split 4 games with KC who were coming off an eleven game losing streak. Not complaining too much but if it were August fighting for the division and to lose 2 to a team like KC, disaster.

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:55 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:17 pm

And Ohtani does it again - winning home run with 2 outs in the top of the ninth at Fenway.
That was a brutal loss for the Red Sox - within one out of the sweep, then a bloop hit by Trout and an Ohtani HR...
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LOL, Ohtani hits a 3-run rocket on a ball half a foot above the strike zone against Cleveland to lead the majors.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Two more Mets down. This is unreal. Walker leaves in the 4th with a sore side. Pillar took a fastball to the face. Somehow they won but geez they have nobody left.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Octavious wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:40 am Two more Mets down. This is unreal. Walker leaves in the 4th with a sore side. Pillar took a fastball to the face. Somehow they won but geez they have nobody left.
Abreu avoided the DL after that brutal collision but two games later he bummed up his ankle sprinting home from 3rd for a game winning run on a wild pitch.

He's sitting out until Thursday but if he goes on the DL that's Eloy, Robert, Engel (the OF) and the reigning MVP. Surprise depth is bailing the Sox out for now but they can't keep counting on guys like Billy Hamilton to make game saving plays and go 4-5 at the plate.

MYT
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Multiple nasal fractures for pillar. He will be out a long time. Thankfully it doesn't sound as bad as Stanton, but it's pretty bad.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Ouch.

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Last night was reunion night at Wrigley Field, with Jon Lester and Kyle Schwarber making their returns with the Nationals. They both celebrated with home runs - Schwarbs hit one and Lester gave up three. Cubs ended up winning for a successful night overall.

Kris Bryant was playing LF last night, and he left a pile of candy in the outfield for Schwarber when he came out. Schwarber credited the Twix he ate with calming him down enough to hit the home run.

Sadly, I'm guessing we're going to be seeing reunions like this next year (or maybe even this year) for Bryant, Baez, and (maybe) Rizzo.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Bryant would be a perfect fit for the Mets. We need a real 3b badly. I kind of wish they went after Nolan over Lindor, but I'm not judging Lindor too hard right now. Nobody can freaking hit and half the team is in the ER. ;)

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

This SI story was published the same day as the horrific hit in the helmet. There's an epidemic of players being hit by pitches, worse than there's ever been. The main reasons according to the article is the emphasis on velocity over command and elbow guards worn by players who think they are then invincible against getting hit by a pitch and therefore don't move out of the way.

Whatever it is, it needs to stop.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Lorini wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:19 am This SI story was published the same day as the horrific hit in the helmet. There's an epidemic of players being hit by pitches, worse than there's ever been. The main reasons according to the article is the emphasis on velocity over command and elbow guards worn by players who think they are then invincible against getting hit by a pitch and therefore don't move out of the way.

I'm not sure how you remedy any of the things mentioned in the article other than banning armor, and it seems like a bad idea to leave players unprotected.

I've bitched about armor at least since Craig Biggio made a career out of the HBP and Bonds protected the plate with it. But you can't just take it away now.

MYT
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:29 am
Lorini wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:19 am This SI story was published the same day as the horrific hit in the helmet. There's an epidemic of players being hit by pitches, worse than there's ever been. The main reasons according to the article is the emphasis on velocity over command and elbow guards worn by players who think they are then invincible against getting hit by a pitch and therefore don't move out of the way.

I'm not sure how you remedy any of the things mentioned in the article other than banning armor, and it seems like a bad idea to leave players unprotected.

I've bitched about armor at least since Craig Biggio made a career out of the HBP and Bonds protected the plate with it. But you can't just take it away now.
They didn't say to ban it, they said to not allow a free base if you wore it.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Eh I don't think the armor is really that big of a deal. This pitch just got away from the pitcher and nailed the guy. There's not much they can do aside from making people wear full face masks. My daughter when she played softball were all required to wear it, but I don't see that ever happening in MLB. I'm more worried about the fact that nobody can hit. And that the Mets might run out of players to put on the field. :lol:

Since May 11th:
Nimmo
Conforto
deGrom
Pillar
Mcneal
Walker (Maybe)
J.D. Davis
Albert Almora

This isn't football. :lol:

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I think that's kind of ignoring reality. The statistics show that there's an increase in players getting hit by pitches. That's going to lead to increased injury. The armor and the velocity/command issues are the biggest contributors. I'd be in favor of not getting a free base if it hits the batter in an armored spot (helmet/mask excluded). I'd also be in favor of umps more aggressively policing a requirement that a batter at least has to make an attempt to avoid getting hit. Of course, this puts all the blame on the hitter and ignores the velocity/command side of the equation.

Here's my totally unrealistic, just thought of it in the shower this morning plan. All pitches above x mph (I dunno - 98mph?) are balls - even on a swing and miss - unless put in play. The technology is in place to have standardized speed readings so that you won't have home cooking on the radar guns. That could help with overall offense issues too, as it might reduce the plague of strikeouts.

I am glad I've been able to solve this problem without any potential negative consequences to the game. You're welcome.
Isgrimnur

MLB 2021 Regular Season

Post by Isgrimnur »

Are we victim-blaming now? He shouldn’t have been standing in that spot and wearing those clothes if he didn’t want to be hit on?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It's the "come hither" elbow guards. You can't blame a pitcher for responding naturally.

(I feel creepy just typing that.)