[Disney+] Loki

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

[Disney+] Loki

Post by Daehawk »

Not seen the first trailer so heres 2nd. Also created this thread to avoid being told it needs its own :)

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Re: [Disney+] Loki

Post by Daehawk »

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

This does look good. Also I feel like I haven't seen Luke Wilson in anything in 10 years.
Black Lives Matter.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I could go another 10, but hopefully he does a decent job here.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

El Guapo wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:03 pm Luke Wilson
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

So this is a series and not a movie?
Last edited by dbt1949 on Thu May 20, 2021 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Correct
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

AWS260 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:24 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:03 pm Luke Wilson
Close enough. He's a Luke Wilson variant.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

El Guapo wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:03 pm This does look good. Also I feel like I haven't seen Luke Wilson in anything in 10 years.
Well...Owen was a big part of the John Wick movies.

He won. Period.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Can't believe this hasn't been updated but today the series debut and it was great! Looking forward to next week.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I enjoyed the first episode a lot. (I haven't seen the other two series yet.) The setting is fresh for Marvel's film/television properties and extremely interesting. (I'm a sucker for anything time travel.) It also has a very cinematic feel. The amount of referencing they do to the movies is amazing and so unfamiliar in what we'd usually consider a spin-off. Though I'm actually kind of disappointed they rely on this so heavily as I want the character to stand on his own.

Mrs. Nym on the other hand has become deeply involved in the Loki fandom over the past several years and refuses to watch it. (She has nearly 2,000 followers on Tumblr and has published many posts/essays on the subject. She often disables messaging because she gets so much mail from fellow fans.) She's among a group who's very critical of the latter MCU era, and hates most of what Waititi and Hemsworth did to the characters in the third Thor movie. At first I was surprised she could be so invested and was somewhat ridiculing, but I've begun to accept it and have tried to consider her devotion in terms of what I'd feel like if my favourite properties went in a direction I disliked. (Which is in fact very much how I do feel about a lot of the new Trek/Wars stuff, only not quite as strongly.)

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

This Loki shouldn't be tied to the third Thor film, since he's out of time before his face turn. But I have not watched any trailers or the episode, so I'm going from memory of Endgame.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
disarm

Post by disarm »

This show picks up with 'bad Loki' directly following the first Avengers movie, but he's clearly being sent down a very different path from that point than the one we know from the MCU films.

I really enjoyed the first episode and am definitely intrigued by the world/concepts they introduced. Hiddleston is great as always, and Owen Wilson fits better than I expected in this more serious role. I just hope they can pull off a complete, satisfying story in only six episodes without it feeling rushed...
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:54 pm This Loki shouldn't be tied to the third Thor film, since he's out of time before his face turn. But I have not watched any trailers or the episode, so I'm going from memory of Endgame.
In-universe that's correct, but Mrs. Nym's sect is more concerned with the writing and handling of the character since that point.

That said, there are brief callbacks to multiple films in the first episode and it's interesting.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

I enjoyed it! And I'm intrigued to see where this goes. Kind of a combo of Doctor Who and Terry Gilliam's Brazil.

Spoiler-y speculation:
Spoiler:
If there really is just one "official" timestream then I wouldn't be surprised if Loki somehow shatters it (intentionally or otherwise) by the end. That would lead nicely into the Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness movie. Also wondering if we might get a Kang reference at some point as this is certainly his wheelhouse.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I quite enjoyed this first episode. Interested to see where they take it (since at this point it could go in a whole bunch of directions).
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:52 pm I enjoyed it! And I'm intrigued to see where this goes. Kind of a combo of Doctor Who and Terry Gilliam's Brazil.
I already liked the trailers but that sentence is the description of something I must see! Does anyone know if Disney+ works well with VPNs? Or even simply works even with an IP address from outside the US?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I burned out on superhero stuff a long time ago, but watched this last night and quite enjoyed it. If I had watched half the movies it would I'm sure have more impact, but I have no interest in watching them all. :lol: Wilson certainly isn't everywhere like he used to be, but he's always a staple in the Wes Anderson movies. The next one being The French Dispatch. (Which looks awesome)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Finally watched it last night and I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There is nothing about this show that I don’t love. :wub:

One of the best things?
Spoiler:
They don’t try to rewrite his history and overlook the innocent people he’s murdered.

They also cover his love for his adopted mother. One of the few good things about the 2nd Thor film.
Hiddleston is an underrated actor. I would say he’s one of the best they’ve got in their stable. And considering the talent that includes, that’s saying something.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

The whole architectural and tech vibe of the TVA reminds me of Legion. This is a good thing.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

$iljanus wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:09 pm The whole architectural and tech vibe of the TVA reminds me of Legion. This is a good thing.
The outdoor scene they lingered on reminded me of Commander Mark and The Secret City. The Legion comparison to the indoor scenes is very apt.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Just finished episode 2. Hiddleston and Wilson are still great together.

And the ending :shock:
Spoiler:
Though I kind of suspected Lady Loki, I did not expect the timeline to go kablaam this soon. List of dates and locations that were "timebombed" (or whatever) by a reddit user with more patience than I to copy them down from screencaps:
  • 08.03.1522 Phong Nha, Vietnam
    03.31.1492 Lisbon, Portugal
    04.23.2301 Vormir
    10.25.1551 Thorton, USA
    11.22.1999 Cookeville, USA
    02.16.2004 Asgard
    10.03.1390 Rome, Italy
    08.13.1984 Sakaar, Tayo
    02.02.1808 Barichara, (Col)
    07.14.1708 Porvoo, Finland
    12.27.1382 Ego
    10.13.1982 Titan
    09.21.1947 New York, USA
    03.01.1984 Tokyo, Japan
    01.03.0051 Hala
    08.02.1999 Kingsport, USA
    09.24.1001 Kandar
    11.23.2005 Beijing, China
    07.18.1903 Madrid, Spain
    04.12.1887 ????
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I really enjoyed it, but I am getting a bit tired of characters who are excellent fighters getting their ass handed to them by inferiors (first Bucky, now Loki).
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm actually current with a new show for once! Another one that I had zero expectations for, but it's been so damn good. The tone and the writing in particular have been quite enjoyable. I really had no idea what to expect, but it feels like they hit this one out of the park and it's only two episodes in!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Freyland wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:59 pm I really enjoyed it, but I am getting a bit tired of characters who are excellent fighters getting their ass handed to them by inferiors (first Bucky, now Loki).
Have they ever established that Loki is an excellent fighter? I mean, he's better than average due to being an Asgardian, but other than that he's the God of Mischief, not the God of Ass Kicking.
He won. Period.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:32 am
Freyland wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:59 pm I really enjoyed it, but I am getting a bit tired of characters who are excellent fighters getting their ass handed to them by inferiors (first Bucky, now Loki).
Have they ever established that Loki is an excellent fighter? I mean, he's better than average due to being an Asgardian, but other than that he's the God of Mischief, not the God of Ass Kicking.
In every Thor movie he has been in. And in the Avengers, he bested Captain America before Iron Man showed up, and he held his own against Thor for awhile. I would say he should not have had much trouble against "Bubba".
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, I haven't watched this latest episode as of yet, but I will tonight.

However, in the comics he's always relied more on trickery and deceit than he has actual physical prowess.
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Loki’s magic and trickery is best against opponents he can anticipate and understand.

So Loki is can hold his own against Thor, and didn’t expect the tech from Iron Man. This was something completely new. I thought of Loki as unprepared in that scene, not weak.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
JCC

Post by JCC »

Finally watched the first 2 episodes this morning. I am VERY surprised by the fact that it's my least favorite of the 3 Disney+ MCU shows so far. I am still enjoying it but not as much (again so far) as WV or F&WS.

This may seem contradictory since my favorite show of all time is Doctor Who, but I really don't like time travel very much. It always seems to get convoluted into a bunch of mechanics/rules that make no sense. Trying to make sense of the premise of this show is headache inducing (for me).

Having said that, it's still very fun and I am enjoying it. I certainly agree that Hiddleston/Wilson are great together. I also am looking forward to watching more so, don't take this as a negative review. More of a not as great as I expected review.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Since I'm standing at our virtual OO water cooler...

Ep3 was a little slow, but there was all kinds of good information shared. I'm still not entirely sure where they're going with all this, but I'm enjoying the experience.

I'm not a reader of the comics, but for those that are maybe they picked up on what's revealed in this super spoiler A.V. Club article about the episode.

Also, I had no idea the actress playing Lady Loki was Bajie's wife in AMC's Into the Badlands.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Ep 3 slow? It was actually the first ep I didn't fall asleep in the first time through. Maybe I just enjoy the additional combat and running around. Speaking of which why does Loki have to rely so much on hand to hand combat? They establish no powers in the TVA but outside he should be full Loki shouldn't he? Not that I really know what his powers are lol.

I like the theory I saw floated around that the TVA is actually the Quantum Realm, that would be a cool way to tie it into everything.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I thought it was a bit slow - there were actiony bits to frame everything, but there was a lot of exposition between the two characters (which was great, they have excellent chemistry).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

May be spoilers in this video

Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Just finished episode 4. Best episode yet. Also, there IS a mid-credits scene this week. :shock:
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Gee whiz did I enjoy episode 4.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Yep, great episode!
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

The whole family had a blast watching it tonight. This is definitely ahead of Falcon Winter Soldier for me, and may possibly top WandaVision as well at the rate it’s going.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

wonderpug wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:50 pm The whole family had a blast watching it tonight. This is definitely ahead of Falcon Winter Soldier for me, and may possibly top WandaVision as well at the rate it’s going.
EPISODE 4. THAT IS ALL.

Edit: in case you stopped trying, there IS a post credits scene and you NEED to see it.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

rittchard wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:22 pm
wonderpug wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:50 pm The whole family had a blast watching it tonight. This is definitely ahead of Falcon Winter Soldier for me, and may possibly top WandaVision as well at the rate it’s going.
EPISODE 4. THAT IS ALL.

Edit: in case you stopped trying, there IS a post credits scene and you NEED to see it.
Spoiler:
Alligator Loki!

Also, while not part of the post-credits, having Loki (sort of) fall in love with himself was a nice touch.

Oh, and I had a really hard time understanding the (robo) Time Keepers. Had to turn on the subtitles.
Yeah, same. This show is great - definitely ahead of Falcon (which was good but not amazing). Behind WandaVision right now (in part because the concept behind WandaVision was so clever), but it's at least got a shot at passing it.
Black Lives Matter.