[MCU P4] Shang-Chi and the Legend of the 10 Rings

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[MCU P4] Shang-Chi and the Legend of the 10 Rings

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image

It's almost as if people are the problem.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Re: [MCU P4] Shang-Chi and the Legend of the 10 Rings

Post by EvilHomer3k »

oooh. Looks fun.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I hope Uppa is finally proud of him...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Looks fun. I have zero background knowledge with this one. So no expectations to get in the way. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:36 am I hope Uppa is finally proud of him...
It would be great if they all had cameos.

The actor that plays Kimchee was in the final season of Wynonna Earp on SyFy (filmed in Canada); I thought it was pretty cool.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stessier

Post by stessier »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:36 am I hope Uppa is finally proud of him...
I wonder if he even knows given that a long time ago he was in a galaxy far, far away.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Damned rest-of-the-world dates. I was all excited to find it was going to come out last month.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Better than Iron Fist.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hong Kong Phooey was better than most of Iron Fist.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I'm excited to see Awkwafina drive a bus all crazy like that!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Z-Corn wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:17 pm I'm excited to see Awkwafina drive a bus all crazy like that!
She's the millennial Sandra Bullock!
JCC

Post by JCC »

Trailer didn't do much for me and I have no idea who Shang-Chi is... On the other hand, it's the MCU so I am sure I will love it!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Personally I'm holding out for 11 rings.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Theres a woman who named herself after bottled water but spelled it all elitist?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:14 am Theres a woman who named herself after bottled water but spelled it all elitist?
Not exactly.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:29 am
Daehawk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:14 am Theres a woman who named herself after bottled water but spelled it all elitist?
Not exactly.
But kind of?
In a Galore interview, Awkwafina discussed how she thought the process of coming up with product names, especially names like Neutrogena and Aquafina, was funny. So she made her stage name Aquafina. A video producer told her that she needed to at least change the spelling of the name so they wouldn’t get sued by Pepsi.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:45 am
stessier wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:29 am
Not exactly.
But kind of?
In a Galore interview, Awkwafina discussed how she thought the process of coming up with product names, especially names like Neutrogena and Aquafina, was funny. So she made her stage name Aquafina. A video producer told her that she needed to at least change the spelling of the name so they wouldn’t get sued by Pepsi.
Right. I take exception with "elitist".
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah, I mean there is nothing elitist about it, but it takes me back to the original l33tsp34k of the late 90s internet. It's kind of that form of elite, not actual elitism like liberals have (/s).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have a friend who absolutely loves Legend of the Five Rings. This must be twice as good!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:29 pm I have a friend who absolutely loves Legend of the Five Rings. This must be twice as good!
Unless the other 5 are just filler.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I've also read an interview where she said she chose the spelling because she was awkward as a kid.

I find her hilarious and really sweet-hearted.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

10 rings in this one:

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Why does every film that features martial arts action that is made in, or imported to America inevitability get a rap soundtrack?

I think they should mix it a up a bit and add a bluegrass soundtrack!
He won. Period.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I know very little of the character from the comics. I always thought he was meant to be a normal person who was just really, really good at martial arts. But it looks like this version of the character will have some form of power or dabble in mysticism at the very least.

I was meh going into this, or as meh as I can be for an MCU movie. I thought this trailer was excellent though, especially that part at the end. You know which one.
Spoiler:
Abonimation apparently fighting Wong in a cage match? That's not a thing I knew I needed until right now.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Back in 1966, DC had their martial arts character. Karate Kid.

Karate Kid sounds familiar. Where have I heard that before....
He won. Period.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

We went to see it today, I thought it was excellent. Some fantastic martial arts choreography, the acting is top-notch, and the story weaves into the MCU nicely.

Heads-up: there are both a mid-credit and a post-credit scene.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Exxcited to see this. My friends and I are waiting for Disney +.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:coffee:
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

This was great on multiple levels. The fights are excellent (I was worried about this, since Cap 2 & 3 are the only MCU flicks to do hand-to-hand combat really well). The jokes are good and there aren't too many of them. Simu Liu is very charismatic and makes Shang-chi the MCU hero that I most want to have a drink with. There is way, way more subtitling than I ever expected to see in a Hollywood blockbuster, which was absolutely the right choice.

And casting Tony Leung was a masterstroke; he brings such complexity to his character.

Spoilery observations:
Spoiler:
Leaving out Funyuns and cigarettes for the deceased granddad at Katy's house: so Chinese.

"Don't worry, I speak ABC." I love, love that they didn't explain this joke.

Shang-chi is gay, right? That's the very strong vibe I was getting from the script and performance. I hope so.

I thought that the fight between Shang-chi and his dad did a great job of integrating martial arts and special effects.

Not a fan of the design of the Dweller-in-Darkness. It's just a bat with tentacles.

Seeing Trevor again was a surprise and a delight.

Bruce Banner's back to looking human again. I wonder why.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Got back from seeing it with my 15 yr son. He didn't like it at all. I thought it was an ok Marvel movie. We both agreed that the last 1/3 of the movie was the worst part. Too predictable and unbelievable.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I haven’t seen it yet, but is it more or less believable than half of all life being extinguished by a single snap of a finger by a giant purple guy who looks like Grimace with pants and a gym membership?

:P
He won. Period.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I had relatively low expectations for this, even debated whether to see it in the theaters. But the buzz seemed so good, and my nephew and sister wanted to see it, so... I went and it was really excellent!!! I'd say amongst the top few MCU movies as a stand-alone. My 16yo nephew loved it too. In terms of feel I'd say it reminded me the most of how I felt after Black Panther (mix of family story, close combat and epic large scale battles). But in all honesty I enjoyed this much more, and that's likely because I'm Chinese and this movie is as much a Chinese martial arts story as a MCU piece. As mentioned, having Tony Leung anchor the cast was brilliant (for those unaware he was as big in his prime in Asia as say, Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise, like superstar level). I wish Michelle Yeoh had been given more to do, but her presence is similar to having Angela Bassett in BP, just having a queen-like figure played by perhaps the most famous Asian actress for American filmgoers. I had reservations about Simu Liu in the lead, but he turned out fine, mostly because he worked well with Awkwafina who seems able to bring her humor into any situation and still make it reasonably believable and fun. He did really well with the action sequences too. I was also very impressed with the actresses playing the mom and sister, who I wasn't familiar with. All in all, a very interesting story, excellent action sequences (particularly some of the early stuff), and a fantastic cast made for a great movie, MCU or not.
Spoiler:
I was impressed/surprised the first 10-ish minutes were completely in Manadarin! Pretty bold choice for a Marvel movie if you ask me. These are the times I'm grateful I grew up bilingual as the nuances in the language/translation can be really subtle.

That scaffolding fight was so so cool, fantastic set piece. Nuff said.

Minor disappointment: I was hoping the breakdown of the barrier would lead to Nightmare or The Dweller or some magical evil force being released to move into Dr Strange territory.

But... instead of that we get WONG WONG WONG. Loved seeing him in multiple scenes, and I'm really hoping Shang-Chi will get some follow up in Dr Strange 2. As much as I enjoy Awkwafina though does it really make any sense to carry her along into Avengers-esque danger?

Did you notice the end says The Ten Rings will return, not Shang-Chi? Kind of weird and since it's Marvel; I'm sure it was very much on purpose.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

rittchard wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:43 pm
Spoiler:
That scaffolding fight was so so cool, fantastic set piece. Nuff said.
Spoiler:
Though my wife probably could have done without me whispering to her "It's raining men" during that scene. 8-) I did manage to refrain from singing it in the theater, at least.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

HAHA Mix, that's hilarious!!!!

Anyone else planning to see it? Curious if it gets the kind of traction Black Panther did (or at least Crazy Rich Asians lol).
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

rittchard wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:00 pm HAHA Mix, that's hilarious!!!!

Anyone else planning to see it? Curious if it gets the kind of traction Black Panther did (or at least Crazy Rich Asians lol).
If it weren't for the pandemic I'd be there. I guess I still might be if I check and the theater is going to be close to empty. I saw Wicked in a full house show last month so really a movie shouldn't be much of a difference, but it feels different anyway.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Just got back and really enjoyed it. My only complaint
Spoiler:
the fight with the father and his sacrifice gave me strong Luke/Vader vibes and momentarily took me out of the movie
Other than that, I really enjoyed it! I liked the Kim's Convenience callbacks.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Have to wait for it to be available on Disney+. The movie theatres are still closed at Jakarta and even if they're open, I'm probably not going to risk sitting two hours in the same room with people around.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Yeah my friends and I are thrilled we can watch this on Disney + within 45 days of release. I am disappointed they are going back to a theater only model going forward. There is absolutely no way I am going to a movie theater until Covid is a distant memory - and that may well mean I never go to one again.
Black Lives Matter