[Amazon Original] Invincible

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

[Amazon Original] Invincible

Post by Smoove_B »

There's no reason for this to be buried in a thread; this show deserves its own recognition.

I'm only a few episodes in but it's fantastic. The voice acting alone is ridiculous. Check the wiki page, unless you want to try and guess as you're watching.

The characters I've seen so far are all homages to numerous Marvel/DC superheroes, which is really enjoyable to see. I am not familiar with the source material at all, but so far it's been great to watch. Would recommend.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Re: [Amazon Original] Invincible

Post by hepcat »

I've been singing its praises in the Amazon thread. I was surprised that they went for 45 minute or more episodes. I'm not used to an animated series being more than 23 or 24 minutes at a pop. But it's allowed for a fleshed out story line that adheres surprisingly close to the source material (which I read through in its entirety a few years back).

I will say the timing of some of the bigger twists feels better in the animated show than it does in the comics.

Also...
Spoiler:
Allen will be back. Don't you worry.
Last edited by hepcat on Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

And J.K. Simmons is in negotiations to produce a live action version.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I will settle for his character being replaced by the Yellow M&M.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:07 pm And J.K. Simmons is in negotiations to produce a live action version.
EW
The Invincible movie, revealed in 2017 as an adaptation of Robert Kirkman's original comics, is still very much alive and kicking.

Kirkman confirmed to EW that the big-screen adaptation remains in the "very early going" stages but will be a separate live-action version than the upcoming adult animated series on Amazon Prime Video.

"That is still very much in development. That hasn't changed. We're just taking a long time," the comic creator told EW of the film in an interview for the Amazon show. "But we've been fortunate enough to have a two-track plan with Invincible. Right now we've got the animated series at Amazon, which is now on the cusp of launching, and then we're also still developing it as a film series with Universal, with Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg attached. So, those two things are still very much happening concurrently, which is somewhat weird, I guess. But there've been Spider-Man animated series and Spider-Man movies at the same time. So, I think we're in good company."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wow, I know jaymann was just referencing the joke about Simmons' character being live action in the animated show, so it's a surprise to me to learn they're actually discussing a full live action movie. Although I highly doubt omni man would still be played by Simmons.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Santa the ass kicker!
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

If those guns are not photoshopped that is impressive a-f.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BI 2016
The actor says that his physique is strictly motivated by staying healthy.

"This is all coincidental," Simmons, who's doing press for the Blu-ray release of "Kung Fu Panda 3," in which he voices the villain, Kai, told Business Insider. "After the second and final time that I got hugely fat in my life and when I lost that weight six or seven years ago, I pretty much decided that I was going to stay in decent shape for the rest of my life."

The photos were actually taken at the end of April. He has since shaved the beard, which was for his role in the movie his wife wrote and directed, "I'm Not Here," before "Justice League."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Issie: The JK Simmons Whisperer :P
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Been watching him since he was the shrink on Law and Order.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

We all have our own Charles Nelson Reilly.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Speaking of Charles Nelson Reilly*, I mentioned this in the Amazon thread, but there are a surprising number of Walking Dead actors voicing characters on Invincible. I know Kirkman created both this and The Walking Dead, but that's some crazy devotion on their part. Kirkman must be a well liked guy.

*No real connection, I've just always wanted to use Charles Nelson Reilly as a segue. Patrick Duffy is next on my list.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The episode length is really throwing me - I keep expecting them to end at the ~22 minute mark, and they don't.

I'm about halfway done at this point and there are still plenty of interesting story bits that haven't been resolved yet. Pacing feels great and I'm enjoying the overall animation style/art for the show. It has a retro soothing feeling (like you're watching older cartoons from the 90s), but then that hyper-violence kicks in. Either way, the action is well animated and I've really been enjoying the fight/action sequences.

Also, any show or episode where they are running through random super heroes will always get me to watch. It was my favorite part of the (old) Tick cartoon and the episodes of the Venture Bros where they're randomly using new villains and henchmen. Brick Frog still makes me laugh!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I'm starting to wane on this show.
It just seems so much more of the same old been there, seen that, done that.

I was hoping it would have some "WTF" moments like The Boys did, no nothing even close to that so far.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:07 pm The episode length is really throwing me - I keep expecting them to end at the ~22 minute mark, and they don't.

I'm about halfway done at this point and there are still plenty of interesting story bits that haven't been resolved yet. Pacing feels great and I'm enjoying the overall animation style/art for the show. It has a retro soothing feeling (like you're watching older cartoons from the 90s), but then that hyper-violence kicks in. Either way, the action is well animated and I've really been enjoying the fight/action sequences.

Also, any show or episode where they are running through random super heroes will always get me to watch. It was my favorite part of the (old) Tick cartoon and the episodes of the Venture Bros where they're randomly using new villains and henchmen. Brick Frog still makes me laugh!
This is a good call out. Kirkman and co. was running slightly behind the Venture Bros by a year or two but they're playing with some of the same ideas but just different aspects. Whereas Venture is clearly revolving around themes of failure, Invincible is wrestling with different themes about responsibility, redemption, etc. What's interesting to me is they took the opportunity to inject and broaden on some of the themes to make it feel more modern even though the original run started in 2005.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm really happy they stuck so close to the source material for Robot, myself. He was always one of my favorite characters.

...next to Allen, of course.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:29 pm I'm really happy they stuck so close to the source material for Robot, myself. He was always one of my favorite characters.

...next to Allen, of course.
Same. Beyond that I still can't get over though how much Kirkman packed into the first episode. It was a distillation of all major action in the first year of the comic.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I watched the first episode yesterday. I turned it off at the end when the Invincible title screen came back on.

Today I noticed there was more after that. Whoo boy, talk about an important scene I missed. It went from standard GI Joe cartoon to something really interesting.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

McNutt wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:54 pm I watched the first episode yesterday. I turned it off at the end when the Invincible title screen came back on.

Today I noticed there was more after that. Whoo boy, talk about an important scene I missed. It went from standard GI Joe cartoon to something really interesting.

Yeah, they fooled me the first time too.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:22 pm
McNutt wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:54 pm I watched the first episode yesterday. I turned it off at the end when the Invincible title screen came back on.

Yeah, they fooled me the first time too.
I didn't miss it, but it took me about 3 days to process it before I could watch again.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Now imagine that in book 7. Kirkman really pulls the rug out. He introduced the team and then had that scene happen out of nowhere in that one issue. And it gets even crazier from there. The guy knows how to plot.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

For some reason I thought that reveal happened much sooner in the comics, but I’m obviously misremembering it. It has been about 10 years since I read it, in my defense.

If you’re digging the storyline, I also recommend seeking out Mark Waid’s Irredeemable from Boom Comics. It’s very similar to Invincible in its approach to the world of superheroes, but even darker.

Of course, these all owe their existence to Alan Moore’s Miracleman.

Also, the single greatest thing about Invincible still hasn’t been mentioned?

The mustaches, people. The mustaches.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:26 pm For some reason I thought that reveal happened much sooner in the comics, but I’m obviously misremembering it. It has been about 10 years since I read it, in my defense.
I re-read it for the series up through 75 or so a few months back. Still I had to go back on my tablet and see what book it actually was because I knew it was no later than 10. The big reveal about motivation wasn't for another 4 or 5 books. The first meeting with Allen is *before* this. Kirkman re-ordered things a bit but all for the good. Setting the tone in Episode 1 makes sense.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Obviously they have the rights to most, if not all of the characters. They’ve already hit us with Battle Beast, which I was not expecting. Now I’m anxious to see what other characters they whip out. I can think of a few I’d like to see, but I won’t ruin it for folks.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:35 pm Obviously they have the rights to most, if not all of the characters. They’ve already hit us with Battle Beast, which I was not expecting. Now I’m anxious to see what other characters they whip out. I can think of a few I’d like to see, but I won’t ruin it for folks.
Kirkman is COO of Image so it won't shock me that he was able to swing the licensing axe since he practically prints money on "tv". I recall that "episode" with Battle Beast happened fairly early in the run too. Maybe 2nd year?

Edit: Also, I looked it up and Kirkman created him for Invincible. I'm guessing Amazon got anything Invincible at least.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I didn’t realize Kirkman was COO of Image. Wow.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:06 pm I didn’t realize Kirkman was COO of Image. Wow.
He probably could buy it at this point with all that Walking Dead cash.

Wow. Just did a light walk. The Skybound imprint is owned by Kirkman outright. Image seems to be more of an idea than an owner. In other words, Kirkman is incredibly loaded.
Last edited by malchior on Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

For anyone interested, the Kindle (digital) version of Compendium One (~1100 pages, covering the first ~47 issues) is currently $20 on Amazon.

Synergy!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That’s a lot of entertainment for 20 bucks.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:11 pm For anyone interested, the Kindle (digital) version of Compendium One (~1100 pages, covering the first ~47 issues) is currently $20 on Amazon.

Synergy!
All 3 are $65 total. I have the 10 or so trades so paid significantly more than that. Wah wah.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Variety
“Invincible” has been renewed for Seasons 2 and 3 at Amazon.

The announcement was made on Thursday on Twitter by Robert Kirkman alongside Steven Yeun, who voices the show’s main character. The news comes ahead of the Season 1 finale, which will debut on Amazon on April 30.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I have it on good authority that starting this thread was the deciding factor in renewal.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Start a fanfic site so we can get season 4.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Watched episodes 7 and 8 last night, back to back.

:shock:

That was a ridiculous~90 minutes of TV.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I totally binged on this show. Great story and I love the juxtaposition of a GI Joe cartoon look and feel with Heavy Metal gore.
Great show.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I thought you weren’t going to watch it because you were disappointed it was animated? :ninja:
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Yeah, that really turned me off. I have to admit that I am not a fan of the amount of superhero shows and movies I tend to watch. I don't need another one, so the fact that it was animated made me think this was not going to be up my alley. I'll be damned if it wasn't awesome. I'm glad you guys gave it the proper hype.

I'm not a comic book guy either, but I just bought the first compendium.