Places that are pronounced differently than you think

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

jztemple2

Re: Places that are pronounced differently than you think

Post by jztemple2 »

gilraen wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:41 am
AWS260 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:27 am Houston Street in NYC is pronounced HOW-stun. It took a very long time after I moved here for that to start sounding natural.
I learned that watching Law & Order :D
Me too! :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Regina.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

There is a small town in MI named Pompeii. They pronounce it "pom-pee-eye".

Also had a Berlin until WW2. Now they pronounce it "Marne".
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Been trying to come up with an example. In Ontario, we have a town named Etobicoke. The k is silent. That's a weird one as I tend to feel Ks are more definite, especially in the middle of a name, so I don't know where the rule of the K being silent in that name came from.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The name "Etobicoke" derives from the Mississauga word wah-do-be-kang (wadoopikaang), meaning "place where the alders grow". This was how they described the area between Etobicoke Creek and the Humber River. The first provincial land surveyor, Augustus Jones, also spelled it as "ato-be-coake."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I had no idea that Pierre was not pronounced like a French word.

We have a small town near here called Delhi which is pronounced as "dell-hi".
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:14 pm
The name "Etobicoke" derives from the Mississauga word wah-do-be-kang (wadoopikaang), meaning "place where the alders grow". This was how they described the area between Etobicoke Creek and the Humber River. The first provincial land surveyor, Augustus Jones, also spelled it as "ato-be-coake."
That makes a bit more sense, but it still doesn't explain why the K came to be silent.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Brian

Post by Brian »

The first time I visited Shannon and Neal in Longmont, CO I was informed that Hover St was to be pronounced as HO-ver and not HUV-er as one would expect.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Holman

Post by Holman »

One thing we forget is that place names in (to us) foreign languages just mean what they mean in that language.

Ancient Greeks didn't go to "Athens;" they went to "The City of Thought." Our troops are deployed to "Afghanistan," but the native Afghanis understand that they live in "Our Place."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:33 pm One thing we forget is that place names in (to us) foreign languages just mean what they mean in that language.

Ancient Greeks didn't go to "Athens;" they went to "The City of Thought." Our troops are deployed to "Afghanistan," but the native Afghanis understand that they live in "Our Place."
And by extension, our planet is "Dirt."

When we bought our house on Azel Road, the realtor and all the various people involved in the closing pronounced it "ah-ZEL." After we moved in neighbors quickly let us know that it's AY-zul.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Holman wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:33 pm One thing we forget is that place names in (to us) foreign languages just mean what they mean in that language.

I wonder how true this is. I grew up in a town named Clearfield yet I didn't think about specifically a clear field even if that was literally the name. When I lived in Pittsburgh I certainly never thought about the idea of going to or being from "the town named for William Pitt." I'm sure that at one point the settlers did specifically think about the literal meaning but it was lost after a generation or so as the thing itself became hidden, destroyed, or simply less important. I suspect that the ancient Greeks had the same mental distinction between the proper name and the literal meaning.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Some definitely are more obvious than others though. For example, a town within our region is called Copper Cliff, and it's where a lot of copper and nickel mining occurs.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Rumpy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:56 pm Some definitely are more obvious than others though. For example, a town within our region is called Copper Cliff, and it's where a lot of copper and nickel mining occurs.
I live in Braintree, and I've seen the brain tree.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Madmarcus wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:36 pm

I wonder how true this is. I grew up in a town named Clearfield yet I didn't think about specifically a clear field even if that was literally the name. When I lived in Pittsburgh I certainly never thought about the idea of going to or being from "the town named for William Pitt." I'm sure that at one point the settlers did specifically think about the literal meaning but it was lost after a generation or so as the thing itself became hidden, destroyed, or simply less important. I suspect that the ancient Greeks had the same mental distinction between the proper name and the literal meaning.
True. Proper names do drift away from their etymology, but the the root is always there. I live in Pennsylvania and am linguistically reminded to remember William Penn the guy, like, a lot.

And of course this kind of reminder/memorial is the whole point of naming cities in your own language. Pittsburgh residents probably don't think of William Pitt all the time, but I'll bet they do it thousands of times more often than the average American.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Kraken wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:17 am
Rumpy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:56 pm Some definitely are more obvious than others though. For example, a town within our region is called Copper Cliff, and it's where a lot of copper and nickel mining occurs.
I live in Braintree, and I've seen the brain tree.
Must have lots of smart people there :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The origin of the name is obscure. Braintree was also called 'Brantry' and 'Branchetreu' in the Domesday Book. Another variation can be seen in various Medieval Latin legal records, where it appears as "Branktre".[6] In many early American Colonial documents, it is referred to as Branktry.

One theory is that Braintree was originally Branoc's tree, Branoc apparently being an ancient name. Another theory is that the name is derived from that of Rayne, which was actually the more important settlement in Norman times. A third theory is that the name means "settlement by the river Bran or Braint". The name "Braint" is well attested as a river name in Britain; there is a river of that name in Anglesey, and it may be conjectured that it was the name of the Blackwater in pre-Saxon times, although the Celtic name "Bran" is also used widely for rivers (derived from the British word for a crow and thought to refer to the dark or crow-black appearance of such a river, making it a good fit for a river now called "Blackwater"). The suffix to either Braint or Bran is the Common Brittonic word tre widely found in Wales and Cornwall, but also noted in other town names such as Daventry, with the meaning, initially, of a farm or settlement and later a town.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ever heard of the the Boston Celtics? Why do some people pronounce the word Kell-tic instead of Sell-tic?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Half of California (actually probably much more than that) uses Spanish or Indian names. It would be interesting to know the actual meanings and origins of many of those.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymann wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:05 pm Ever heard of the the Boston Celtics? Why do some people pronounce the word Kell-tic instead of Sell-tic?
[Cliff Claven] Because the Celts (nationality) didn't have the sense to use a "K" instead of a "C". So the team name doesn't actually pay homage to ancient people from France, Italy, and the British Isles, but instead a drunkard named Shelton, who after a legendary binge answered in a slurred "celt" when the cops asked his name after a brawl broke out in a Boston sandlot basketball court. The cops beat him senseless, but since he wasn't black, he won quite the handsome settlement after suing the city, which he used to found an NBA team. Since as we know, all Boston cops back then were Irish, he used the drunken Irishman as a symbol for his team, a last poke at the cops who made it possible. [/Cliff Claven]
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Jaymann wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:05 pm Ever heard of the the Boston Celtics? Why do some people pronounce the word Kell-tic instead of Sell-tic?
I have the reverse reaction of wondering why Boston calls them Sell-tic since I've always come to pronounce Celtic with a hard K. Before hearing people pronounce it with a soft C, I'd never heard it pronounced it that way.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Scuzz wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:13 pm Half of California (actually probably much more than that) uses Spanish or Indian names. It would be interesting to know the actual meanings and origins of many of those.
We may never know what Vacaville means...
Holman

Post by Holman »

"Celt" is a Greek and then a Latin word, and IIRC neither language has a soft "c" sound. (This also means that our pronunciation of "Caesar" is very wrong.)

English loves a soft "c", though (probably because French does), so we alter pronunciation for the fun of it.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Holman wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:39 pm
"Celt" is a Greek and then a Latin word, and IIRC neither language has a soft "c" sound. (This also means that our pronunciation of "Caesar" is very wrong.)
This may explain the origin of Kaiser.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jaymann wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:43 pm
It does!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

But not Tzar.
Montag

Post by Montag »

Kraken wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:47 pm Mass. is full of such places. Worcester is WOOS-tah. Medford is MEHfud. Scituate is -- well, not whatever you're thinking -- SIT-yoo-ut. Quincy is KWINzee. Even Boston has different pronunciations depending on where you live (e.g., BAHS-tun, BOSS-tun, BAWS-tun).
Lived 6 years in WOO-bin
words
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

English loves a soft "c", though (probably because French does), so we alter pronunciation for the fun of it.
And in some parts of the world, it's actually spelled with a K rather than a C. I've seen it spelled both ways over the years.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Jaymann wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:43 pm
Keep going, you're on a roll :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Yes, a Kaiser roll.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ceyser Soze doesn't quite have the same ring to it. :lol:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:54 pm Yes, a Kaiser roll.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Rumpy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:58 pm Ceyser Soze doesn't quite have the same ring to it. :lol:
Neither does Kaiser Chavez.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter