manga recommendations

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hitbyambulance

manga recommendations

Post by hitbyambulance »

i've read a fair amount (especially from the 1960s, 70s and early 80s), but looking for more recommendations, if there are any to be had...

currently reading APOSIMZ by Tsutomu Nihei (BLAME!, Biomega, Knights of Sidonia) - dialog/plot isn't great, but the art is interesting.

also currently reading Platinum End by Tsugumi Ohba and illustrated by Takeshi Obata - art is good and the setup had potential, but the dialogue is dopey beyond belief and i don't know why i'm continuing with it. the expository parts are particularly painful.

not into horror, graphic violence, fanservice, hentai or any other obvious representations of mental repression or emotional stuntedness.
Hipolito

Re: manga recommendations

Post by Hipolito »

I don't read much manga, but I've been enjoying Junji Ito's Uzumaki. That's horror, though.

Edit: a manga-loving friend of mine once recommended to me Nana and Doing Time (Keimusho no Naka). Nana is about a female rock singer, and Doing Time is about the author's real-life experience as a prison inmate. They didn't knock my socks off, but they were interesting, and would fit your criteria I think.

Also, I know it's weird to say I don't read much manga when my avatar looks like manga. My avatar is from a video game, though, not manga.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

found a good list here, and can vouch for at least one-fourth of these works:

anything from Osamu Tezuka or Moto Hagio is worth checking out, Inio Asano's _Solanin_ is stunning, Susumu Katsumata and Yoshihiro Tatsumi are poignant in a more historical fashion and Yuichi Yokoyama's _Garden is still one of the most absorbing things i've ever looked at

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/109 ... tand_Alone
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

One of my favorite YouTubers, ProZD, recently did a video on his manga collection. The ones that interest me the most are 20th Century Boys, After the Rain, A Bride Story, Solanin, and With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child.