Nothing. I like being soaked
17%
Something else ....what?
28%

Total votes: 29

Daehawk

What type rain gear do you prefer?

Post by Daehawk »

I had a rubber raincoat as a kid and I hated that thing. I would overheat in it and sweat to death. One day I just took it off and stood in the rain to cool down. These days I use nothing but cheap rain ponchos. The thin billowy type things . Very airy yet they work great except your lower arms and hands along with your lower legs and feet can get wet. Still love them.

How about you guys? And why? You can revote if you change your mind later.

I use an umbrella very seldom if I go to town in the rain. Otherwise I just get wet. But at home when Im going to the mailbox or having to work in the yard in the rain or walk my dog I use a poncho.
Last edited by Daehawk on Tue May 04, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Re: What type rain gear do you prefer?

Post by Jaymann »

Umbrella.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jaymann wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:15 pmUmbrella.
I added that
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I don't go out in the rain. I do have a poncho in my trailer as I have been in a constant downpour while saddling it up. I keep a small umbrella in the door of my truck but I can't remember the last time I used it. I also wear a hoodie.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

My life is mostly inside, so if it's raining enough to require a poncho then I just stay in. An umbrella is enough for running from a car to a door.

I wear a wide-brimmed hat to walk the dog in a light drizzle. Nothing is more annoying than raindrops on your glasses.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

using an umbrella in Seattle marks you as an out-of-towner or an extreme prissy-pants. anyways, i don't mind the rain and i have a couple of cheapy raincoats (dad got those for me from Cabela's and Costco), but i usually get by with my standard military surplus coats. also have a heavy duty UK Police officer raincoat purchased secondhand but is rarely needed - which is good as that thing does not breathe at all.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

A good one doesn't come cheap, but stylish protection from wind and rain doesn't get much better than a tough, durable, and well-crafted waxed jacket:

Enlarge Image

They don't call it tin-cloth for nothing. And the nifty nautical origins of waxed jackets only serve to reinforce how incredibly effective waxed jackets and cloth can be for water and windproofing.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Tue May 04, 2021 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:31 pm using an umbrella in Seattle marks you as an out-of-towner or an extreme prissy-pants.
The most annoying thing about Seattle (which I find to be otherwise quite enjoyable).
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:39 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:31 pm using an umbrella in Seattle marks you as an out-of-towner or an extreme prissy-pants.
The most annoying thing about Seattle (which I find to be otherwise quite enjoyable).
Yeah, prissy-pants is right up there with no jobs and the collective farms.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

If it's raining out I wearing one of my cowboy hats and a coat.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
raydude

Post by raydude »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:36 pm If it's raining out I wearing one of my cowboy hats and a coat.
I used to be an umbrella guy. Then I wore the fedora that I bought from Akubra, which said it was good for keeping out the rain, as well as a rain jacket, for a field trip that I took with my daughter to Jamestown. The school sent out an email the night before cautioning that the day might be rainy at times and cool, even though it was May, so I did it as a test of the hat more than anything else. My daughter wore her rainjacket with hoodie.

As soon as we unloaded the bus it started to rain a bit. Not a downpour, but a good steady rain. I noticed quite a few parents who did not heed the email warning as well as a lot of kids. Meanwhile my fedora kept me nice and dry, even when I noticed raindrops were dripping off the brim. Ever since then I bring my fedora when there's a chance of rain. And if it turns out to be sunny, I have some protection from the sun.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It depends on what I'm doing and how hard it's raining. If it's just sprinkling, or if I'm just going to the car and then into the store, I just shrug. It's just water. If it's pouring or I'll be spending more time in it, I wear a boonie hat. If it's cold and doing more than sprinkling, I sometimes wear a coat.

I spent too much time in weather growing up to be particularly bothered by it - as long as I have a way to keep my glasses dry.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I get wet. If it's pouring, I get wetter.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I don't voluntarily go out in the rain. If I must, I usually just wear a baseball cap and a normal light jacket or hoodie. However, a few months ago Wife got a rain jacket for joining WBUR public radio; it's much too big for her, so it is mine. I guess it's some kind of rubberized something or other, so I voted rubber. But I've only worn it a couple of times when I had to be out in a steady rain.

Back in my commuter days I wore a London Fog dress raincoat with a wide-brimmed hat. It looked like this:
Enlarge Image
When I was a daily subway commuter I had clothes for all kinds of weather.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Hmmm... I thought this was going to be an educational thread about condoms.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

rain jacket. Space Shop at work starting selling MSFC rain jackets last year so this is what I wear 90% of the time. Or else an umbrella.
Enlarge Image
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Mostly I use an umbrella although I own an old windbreaker style coat that works well if I ignore the swishing noise.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Freyland wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:22 pm Hmmm... I thought this was going to be an educational thread about condoms.
coopasonic wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:52 pm I get wet. If it's pouring, I get wetter.

:shock:
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Freyland wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:22 pm Hmmm... I thought this was going to be an educational thread about condoms.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I wear a Columbia windbreaker that's also waterproof... supposedly.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:29 pm I wear a Columbia windbreaker that's also waterproof... supposedly.
Yeah, that's my normal spring/fall wear: a light Columbia windbreaker/"raincoat", along with my Aussie hat.

I used to carry an umbrella sometimes when I was in college and spent a lot of time walking around campus. Since then; meh, I don't mind getting a little wet.
Conform or be cast out!
disarm

Post by disarm »

I have a couple different jackets that keep me dry, or sometimes use an umbrella...depends on the circumstances.

If I'm going casual and don't want to mess with an umbrella, I have a lightweight North Face rain jacket...lightweight, breathable and cool on a warm day.

For cooler weather or when I want to look a little nicer, I have a Barbour waxed cotton coat. I'll second what A.Bosch said about how awesome waxed coats are...totally water/windproof and very durable, but they're not cheap. Once you have one, it will last forever though. The only downside is that they're don't breathe and can get very warm...not an all-season option.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Nothing. Growing up they didn't let me join in any rain gear games.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Nice, LM!

If I ever go out in the rain, it's a dash from the car to the store and vice-versa. I haven't melted yet. When I bike commuted to work, I'd occasionally find myself having to ride in heavy thunderstorms. I got wet, very wet.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've got a very lightweight rain jacket with a hood that I use. I don't know what the material is but it's very thin. I never went back to an umbrella after that.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:44 am Nice, LM!
It's a true story. But I also learned at a young age that rain doesn't melt me and I don't catch my death from being wet nor even muddy but mom will get pissed when a shoe gets sucked off my foot in a mud field and I walk around in muddy rainy socks. That's about as close to rain gear game playing as I got.

Edit

I did wear snow boots in winter until like fifth grade. I remember what a pain they were. I had carry my shoes back and forth to school and then change from snow boots to shoes and then change to snow boots at lunch and then shoes after lunch and snow boots at recess and then shoes after recess and then snow boots and carry my shoes to go home. I wasn't a fan of snow gear either. I hated moms knit hats and mittens. I wanted nice gloves and I didn't know a toque was a think until high school. I still wouldn't wear one now. My hair becomes a static ball and I hate the smell of knit hats.
Last edited by LordMortis on Wed May 05, 2021 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

LordMortis wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:12 am Nothing. Growing up they didn't let me join in any rain gear games.
:lol:

Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I live in Colorado...what is this rain that you speak of?

j/k, it's actually supposed to rain this weekend, but it's the exception to the weather here, not the rule.

Most of the time, when it does rain, it dumps it all in under 10 minutes. So rain gear isn't a factor, you just wait for the rain to stop. If it's a heavy thunderstorm, you are also likely to get hail of varying size, and you *really* don't want to be out in that.

When I'm traveling somewhere, I usually bring an umbrella.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Depends on the situation.

I carry a packable rain jacket (pack a Mac for AB) and use that most of the time. A mid-weight jacket type, not a poncho. I'd prefer an umbrella but it's just not practical to carry everywhere. I have a packable in the car and one my work bag so rarely without.

If I'm heading out into severe weather or doing outdoorsy stuff I have a proper HUK rain jacket and pants.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:27 pm I'd prefer an umbrella but it's just not practical when winds obliterate it within seconds.
FIFY
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:29 pm I wear a Columbia windbreaker that's also waterproof... supposedly.
Actually, I also have a pair of Columbia rain pants, but I think I've only worn it... twice. In a year and a half of delivery driving, I've only had rain heavy enough to warrant their use twice.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds