Movies you think you should seriously watch again

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Movies you think you should seriously watch again

Post by Daehawk »

Theres movies we all love but haven't seen in ages that deserve a rewatch. What are some of yours?

Three of my choices are

The Road Warrior
Galaxy Quest
Excalibur
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
YellowKing

Re: Movies you think you should seriously watch again

Post by YellowKing »

I've actually been making notes of movies I only have vague memories of seeing as a kid/teen and seeking them out. A few of those include ICE PIRATES, TIME BANDITS, SILVERADO, A FISH CALLED WANDA, and DARKMAN.

I also ran across F/X and F/X 2 on Vudu the other day. I LOVED those as a kid, but the last time I've seen them was on VHS.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Heh, if I had a list Darkman, Time Bandits, (and Brazil) would be on the top of it.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Man, I love Silverado. In my top 5 westerns. Not sure if I "need" to watch it again, but I would definitely stop and watch if it was on.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

The other day I was thinking of a movie that I wanted to watch again. But it wasn't available on Netflix. And now I don't remember what it was.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Repeat viewings is not a thing for me. There are way too many movies I want to see and never get around to seeing to spend time watching stuff I've already seen even though my memory for such things is bad enough that it would be very much like watching it for the first time.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

TheMix wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:16 pm The other day I was thinking of a movie that I wanted to watch again. But it wasn't available on Netflix. And now I don't remember what it was.
Was it Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:39 pm
TheMix wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:16 pm The other day I was thinking of a movie that I wanted to watch again. But it wasn't available on Netflix. And now I don't remember what it was.
Was it Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man?
It was not. I, actually, have never seen that movie.

Black Lives Matter

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Well I'm stumped then.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:37 pm Repeat viewings is not a thing for me. There are way too many movies I want to see and never get around to seeing to spend time watching stuff I've already seen even though my memory for such things is bad enough that it would be very much like watching it for the first time.
That is generally me unless I am channel surfing. I haven't seen Time Bandit, Darkman, or Brazil since I was basically a child and I barely remember them but they are all so well received that I feel I ought to see them again.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Sometimes I have to watch them just to be assured I'm not just making it up. A recent example would be SATURDAY THE 14TH, which I had a vague childhood memory of seeing in the theater. But I didn't know if any of the flashes of scenes I remember were actually real or me just imagining things. Turns out I was not imagining things, but it's a very strange movie.

Which reminds me of another one I need to rewatch - ONCE BITTEN, which I dimly recall as an early Jim Carrey vampire sex romp. All I can remember about it is thinking that it was probably too adult for me to be watching at the time.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Heathers
The Abyss (really want the 4k transfer of the extended version tho)
Pump up the Volume
Broken Arrow

Have been on my to-do list for awhile.

PS after today's Cineplexity 29 post, I also want to watch The Adventures of Ford Fairlane again too!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

YellowKing wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:09 pm Sometimes I have to watch them just to be assured I'm not just making it up. A recent example would be SATURDAY THE 14TH, which I had a vague childhood memory of seeing in the theater. But I didn't know if any of the flashes of scenes I remember were actually real or me just imagining things. Turns out I was not imagining things, but it's a very strange movie.

Which reminds me of another one I need to rewatch - ONCE BITTEN, which I dimly recall as an early Jim Carrey vampire sex romp. All I can remember about it is thinking that it was probably too adult for me to be watching at the time.
I would *strongly* recommend against Once Bitten. That was... not a good movie.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Eh I watched in a few years back and it was entertaining in a crappy 80's movie kind of way.

My list is stuff is pretty simple:
Time Bandits (I want to make my daughter watch this)
Stand By Me (I've seen it a million times, but not recently)
The Great Outdoors (Big bear, big bear chase me)
Short Circuit (I haven't seen that in foreveerrrrrr)

So 80's stuff. Shocking ;)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

coopasonic wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:37 pm Repeat viewings is not a thing for me. There are way too many movies I want to see and never get around to seeing to spend time watching stuff I've already seen even though my memory for such things is bad enough that it would be very much like watching it for the first time.
+1/2. While I don't seek out movies I've seen before, I will sometimes re-watch them if they come across my attention when I'm in the right mood. Usually that means comedies or classic sci-fi. I recently saw Fantastic Voyage again, as well as Galaxy Quest and Logan's Run. Some old '50s and '60s sf still holds up pretty well, and my memory is poor enough to almost experience them for the first time.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:11 pm Heathers
We watched HEATHERS with our kids to give them (along with various John Hughes material) a taste of our 80s high-school culture.

It doesn't hold up as well as we would have wished. At the time, it was easy to overlook that Christian Slater is doing his whole character as a bad Jack Nicholson impersonation, but it quickly become grating now. Plus, that character comes across *very* differently in a world of school shootings and bomb threats.

It was funny for the kids to meet a young Winona Ryder, though, since they had already seen her as the mom in STRANGER THINGS.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Octavious" wrote:Short Circuit (I haven't seen that in foreveerrrrrr)
Come for the funny robot, stay for Fisher Stevens' cringe-worthy and offensive portrayal of an Indian stereotype!
Holman wrote:It was funny for the kids to meet a young Winona Ryder, though, since they had already seen her as the mom in STRANGER THINGS.
We watched BEETLEJUICE with them the other night and they didn't recognize her. I had forgotten how young she was in that movie.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Holman wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:26 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:11 pm Heathers
We watched HEATHERS with our kids to give them (along with various John Hughes material) a taste of our 80s high-school culture.

It doesn't hold up as well as we would have wished. At the time, it was easy to overlook that Christian Slater is doing his whole character as a bad Jack Nicholson impersonation, but it quickly become grating now. Plus, that character comes across *very* differently in a world of school shootings and bomb threats.

It was funny for the kids to meet a young Winona Ryder, though, since they had already seen her as the mom in STRANGER THINGS.
Pump up the Volume would probably play better there. Funny that 3 of my movies have Christian Slater. Hmm.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

YellowKing wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:30 pm
Come for the funny robot, stay for Fisher Stevens' cringe-worthy and offensive portrayal of an Indian stereotype!
I actually did not know that was a white dude until a couple of weeks ago. Someone ran a story on it. It's pretty horrifying that anyone thought that was okay even for the 80's. :lol:

Ah found the story:
https://film.avclub.com/fisher-stevens- ... 1846868532
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

malchior

Post by malchior »

YellowKing wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:13 pm I've actually been making notes of movies I only have vague memories of seeing as a kid/teen and seeking them out. A few of those include ICE PIRATES, TIME BANDITS
I randomly threw both these movies on in the last two weeks. Time Bandits holds up better IMO but Ice Pirates is still fun even if you can't remember all the references they are calling out to.
Last edited by malchior on Wed May 26, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Octavious wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:23 pm The Great Outdoors (Big bear, big bear chase me)
Was there anything else more to the movie than that? It was a great moment but I can't remember anything else about it being so great. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, now that was full of great moments. (You're going the wrong way!)

WRT to Slater and Heathers. I always saw him through the lens you would see him in a modern world of school shootings and bomb threats. As comedies go, Heathers was as dark as they come. I also never liked his Jack Nicholson thing. It always grated on me. It doesn't help that the only Nicholson movie I like One Flew Over the Cuckcoo's Nest. Slater was something I had to look past to get to the one liners "Fuck me gently with a chainsaw"
malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:41 pm
Octavious wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:23 pm The Great Outdoors (Big bear, big bear chase me)
Was there anything else more to the movie than that? It was a great moment but I can't remember anything else about it being so great. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, now that was full of great moments. (You're going the wrong way!)
The Old 96er steak scene!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

You stole my line! :D
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I love rewatching movies that I love. Especially over the past year. There are some films that I can watch monthly if I’m in the right mood. Many of the times I do this while painting so it’s background noise that I don’t need to watch, except for favorite scenes and to re-focus my eyes for a second.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I have pretty much watched my favorites to death, so I am always looking for something I have never seen. And am nearly always disappointed.

That said, Galaxy Quest holds up.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Time Bandits. See theres one I forgot about and loved. Seen it many times. Ice Pirates makes me laugh till I piss nearly. I would add Robin Williams Cadillac Man, Good Morning Vietnam, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, and The World According to Garp to my list too.
Last edited by Daehawk on Wed May 26, 2021 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

malchior wrote:
LordMortis wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:41 pm
The Old 96er steak scene!
Ya that was a good scene. There's nothing amazing about the movie but it's a nice chill movie. I feel like they just don't know how to make the pointless movies from the 80's anymore.

John Hughes was the master of it. He made like 90 percent of my favorite 80's movies. It's kind of insane.

Mr. Mom
National Lampoon's Vacation
Sixteen Candles
The Breakfast Club
Euro Vacation
Weird Science
Pretty In Pink
Ferris Buehler
Planes Trains and Automobiles
Uncle Buck (F you if you don't like it)
The Great Outdoors
Christmas Vacation
Home Fn Alone

And then it went to shit. ;)

So ya that one dude pretty much shaped the 80's.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

People dont like Uncle Buck? It was one my me and my wifes favorites. Watched it a lot. Used to crack us up with gnat / bug and golf balls.

And now for some reason Im thinking about Gung Ho and The Great Outdoors.....and Cool Runnings. It doesn't end.
Last edited by Daehawk on Wed May 26, 2021 4:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I don't think it was a critical success compared to the rest of his work.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Recently rewatched A League of Their Own and I'd forgotten most of the movie, and was amazed at just how good it was. In fact, I had more appreciation for it now than I had when originally released.

As for others, I keep coming back to the Vacation movies. Also the Police Academy movies.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Holman

Post by Holman »

We watched Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, and Pretty in Pink with the kids.

The latter two hold up well. The first... does not.

If you missed it, here's a sharp and interesting article by Molly Ringwald about watching her John Hughes movies with her daughter.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I fully agree that Sixteen Candles does not hold up well. I would say that's the only one in my list that doesn't.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Does Porky's hold up?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:00 pm Does Porky's hold up?
Better than Revenge of the Nerds.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ouch.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

If I like a movie, I tend to watch it multiple times. Usually if there's something I vaguely remembering that I liked and go back and rewatch it, I end up wildly disappointed and/or wondering why I liked it in the first place. "Young Guns" was the most recent movie that I thought I should give another look. Wow...it was bad.
I was today years old when I learned this. I always just figured that was an Indian actor.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was 12 when my dad and step mom took me with them to see Porkys. I didn't get it all and so didn't enjoy it as much as I did a few years later on VHS.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Just thought of one. The Big Chill. I've seen it many times, but not in the last decade or so. Such a well done movie. And a fantastic soundtrack.

Black Lives Matter

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:06 pm
I was today years old when I learned this. I always just figured that was an Indian actor.

Speaking of this, I'd recently read an article in which Fisher Stevens said he'd come to regret playing the role.

https://www.avclub.com/fisher-stevens-a ... 1846868532
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That guy wasn't indian!!??