[Netflix Original] Black Summer

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

[Netflix Original] Black Summer

Post by Smoove_B »

I've had this show in my backlog list for a long time (2019?) and with the second season just released, I figured what the hell?

What I had no idea about (until a few days ago) is that the show is an unofficial prequel to SyFy's Z Nation, a show that was cancelled after 5 seasons and one I enjoyed tremendously.

I don't know why this show's name didn't clue me in that there was a connection, but I guess it was only just confirmed a few days ago, so i don't feel so bad. :D

The tone of Black Summer is very different (it's not campy / tongue-in-cheek), but I think philosophically (no one is safe), they're very similar. There's not going to be any character crossovers over a continuation of the main story, but it's at least the same universe.

Anyway, I just finished the first season last night and would highly recommend it (and Z Nation). The episodes are relatively short (under and hour) and very focused. I enjoyed the storytelling style and the pacing is right. Similar to Z Nation, the characters are excellent. In terms of showing what the earliest days of a zombie outbreak might look light, this feels right.

We had a few random discussions on both Z Nation and Black Summer, but I do think this warrants its own thread - especially in light of Blackhawk's crisis. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Torfish

Re: [Netflix Original] Black Summer

Post by Torfish »

I enjoyed season 1. Not anything mind blowing or new, but it had potential on a good setup. Hope season 2 is good. I plan to watch it soon.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Hmm I am now interested. I am not sure my wife will be into it but I might try to sneak it in anyway.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I just started S2 last night and it was really good. They flip-flopped the plot, giving you a crazy opener and having you wondering what the hell you're watching, and then episode 2 is actually all the events that led up to the episode you just watched. I really enjoy that as a story-telling element.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:10 am I just started S2 last night and it was really good. They flip-flopped the plot, giving you a crazy opener and having you wondering what the hell you're watching, and then episode 2 is actually all the events that led up to the episode you just watched. I really enjoy that as a story-telling element.
They introduced 20 new characters all at once in a show that's completely chaotic. Then over a few episodes (because we aren't back to where they are yet as of S2E2) show you how they got there. Every time it happens in TWD I have to stop watching and check to see what episode I missed. I hate, hate, hate this type of filming. I will say that at least here it's done better than TWD since they often just skip over major things and you never know how people got to where they are. DS seems like they're going to actually show you. Still hate it though. It feels like they wrote the script, wanted to make it more dramatic, couldn't figure out how, and then decided to just show the episodes out of order. Did I mention I hate it?
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:D

I think the difference (for me) is that TWD is all spaced out over weeks or months, depending on when they do crazy things with a storyline.

Black Summer with their 8 episode arcs all released at once all me to keep everything straight. There's jumping around and perspective changes but for me it's been enjoyable, not a distraction. But I can totally get how others might not be into it.

It reminds me quite a bit of the first hundred or so pages of The Stand where King just jumps from character to character, detailing what happens. Also very similar to one of the greatest parts of the First Law series where he writes a battle from the perspective of various characters, jumping around as things change.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I really hated the second season of BS, but I totally enjoyed hate watching it and binged it in a few days lol.

Spoiler Rant:
Spoiler:
Starting off by killing the only character I really enjoyed in Season 1 was NOT a great plot element and didn't make me feel anything except pissed off. Kind of reminded me of the beginning of Aliens 3. I had been looking forward to seeing the actor again for a long while, and then... BOOM.
I understand they think they are being "gritty" or whatever, but F- that bullshit, I'm so over these writers who think they are cool because they are willing to kill off popular characters.
Aside from that, I couldn't really follow what the heck was going on for most of the first couple of episodes. I'm OK with the backtracking but it didn't help in some instances. I literally couldn't tell half the people apart aside from what they were wearing, but since most of them were wearing giant jackets and many were blue, the only person I could discern was the red jacket guy. And not to be racist, but who were those random Asian chicks/sisters? I mean obviously I recognized the Korean girl from S1, but I had no idea who the others were. Then the various groups fighting and running all over the place? Do they ever end up establishing who they were or why I should give a f- about any one of them? And did I sleep through it or did they ever acknowledge what happened after the end of S1?

The second half of the show is a bit easier to follow as they focus down on a few core characters. Of course by this time I was thoroughly confused and pissed off. Again, I get that they want the show to be "realistic" but there's a line between that and just being obnoxious. S1 I think they found a balance and still allowed you to care a bit about what happened to some of the characters. S2 I think they crossed the line such that I ended up not giving a crap about anyone, which is not a great place for any show to be.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Aside from that, I couldn't really follow what the heck was going on for most of the first couple of episodes. I'm OK with the backtracking but it didn't help in some instances. I literally couldn't tell half the people apart aside from what they were wearing, but since most of them were wearing giant jackets and many were blue, the only person I could discern was the red jacket guy.
I think part of that is by design (which I get is annoying). Once they start to back-fill the episodes it made more sense (for me). Maybe they expect people to re-watch the show. I won't but maybe that's part of the design.
And not to be racist, but who were those random Asian chicks/sisters? I mean obviously I recognized the Korean girl from S1, but I had no idea who the others were. Then the various groups fighting and running all over the place? Do they ever end up establishing who they were or why I should give a f- about any one of them? And did I sleep through it or did they ever acknowledge what happened after the end of S1?
No, they never establish exactly what happened after S1 ended, but I'm pretty sure it was grim. All these other groups and people are trying to get their hands on the air drops and/or get to the plane - that's really the focus of S2. The character of S1 get wrapped up in all the associated nonsense.
The second half of the show is a bit easier to follow as they focus down on a few core characters. Of course by this time I was thoroughly confused and pissed off. Again, I get that they want the show to be "realistic" but there's a line between that and just being obnoxious. S1 I think they found a balance and still allowed you to care a bit about what happened to some of the characters. S2 I think they crossed the line such that I ended up not giving a crap about anyone, which is not a great place for any show to be.
I totally see what you're saying, but for me it was more organized and focused than anything TWD has done in the last 4+ years.

Regardless, I really like this storytelling style and format. The ~45 minute episodes were the perfect length and 8 episodes made for a tight season arc. I hope the show continues.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

We should finish S4 of Handmaid's Tale tonight so give me a couple weeks and I will break the tie on S2 of Black Summer...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:26 pm
Aside from that, I couldn't really follow what the heck was going on for most of the first couple of episodes. I'm OK with the backtracking but it didn't help in some instances. I literally couldn't tell half the people apart aside from what they were wearing, but since most of them were wearing giant jackets and many were blue, the only person I could discern was the red jacket guy.
I think part of that is by design (which I get is annoying). Once they start to back-fill the episodes it made more sense (for me). Maybe they expect people to re-watch the show. I won't but maybe that's part of the design.
And not to be racist, but who were those random Asian chicks/sisters? I mean obviously I recognized the Korean girl from S1, but I had no idea who the others were. Then the various groups fighting and running all over the place? Do they ever end up establishing who they were or why I should give a f- about any one of them? And did I sleep through it or did they ever acknowledge what happened after the end of S1?
No, they never establish exactly what happened after S1 ended, but I'm pretty sure it was grim. All these other groups and people are trying to get their hands on the air drops and/or get to the plane - that's really the focus of S2. The character of S1 get wrapped up in all the associated nonsense.
I totally see what you're saying, but for me it was more organized and focused than anything TWD has done in the last 4+ years.

Regardless, I really like this storytelling style and format. The ~45 minute episodes were the perfect length and 8 episodes made for a tight season arc. I hope the show continues.
The flashback/flash forward thing was hard to follow but part of that was that there were well over a dozen characters that were introduced all of the sudden and, in almost all cases, we never got names to attach to them. I think it's supposed to be chaotic and hard to follow.

I don't think the 'random Asian chicks' were Asian. I think they were indigenous Canadians. The show was filmed in Calgary, Canada. I think this also contributed to the confusion. The woman on the radio looked very much like the woman who was saved by the Korean prisoner. So much so that I wasn't sure if that scene was a flashback flash forward or what it was.

Getting back to the number of characters introduced and the lack of names. I think this takes away from the enjoyment of the show. There are so many new characters introduced in a less than optimal way. Then, they die off before you can even learn anyones name. It's all very confusing and doesn't lend itself to caring about any of them. Even the ones from S1 are basically shown to be assholes. We are almost to the last episode and the only one I care about any more is the Korean woman.

And can the daughter go off on her own for no good reason more often? I had flashbacks of S2 of TWD. Where's Carl? Does anyone know where Carl is? The fuck did Carl go this time. Lazy writing forcing people to do stupid things.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Watched the last episode last night. Maybe I don't remember the first season very well but it seemed much better directed than this one. Also, we finally have someone who can actually kill a fucking zombie. Hallelujah.

I did enjoy it overall though I think I would have liked it better with the scenes in order and with a bit better writing (too many things where a character did x to move the story forward rather than the story moving forward because of the character acting naturally). If a third season comes out I'll watch it.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I just binged season 1 and really enjoyed it.

My favorite part of any zombie (or other) apocalypse story is "Things are just now falling apart and now we see what comes next." I'm less interested in "Now we are hardened warriors making our way in the new world."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:31 pm We should finish S4 of Handmaid's Tale tonight so give me a couple weeks and I will break the tie on S2 of Black Summer...
Or not. The shaky cam ruined it for my wife, she didn't make it 10 minutes.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I get super-ill with shaky cams and there were times when I had to stop watching scenes for this show because of it. However, it wasn't something that ultimately stopped me from watching.

For reference, I still haven't seen Cloverfield (I tried when it was on HBO) and I had to close my eyes about 1/2 through Blair Witch in the movie theater.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:52 am I get super-ill with shaky cams and there were times when I had to stop watching scenes for this show because of it. However, it wasn't something that ultimately stopped me from watching.

For reference, I still haven't seen Cloverfield (I tried when it was on HBO) and I had to close my eyes about 1/2 through Blair Witch in the movie theater.
That's really interesting. I get nauseous (motion sick or whatever) from just about anything, including my own driving sometimes, but for whatever reason I can tolerate the majority of shaky cam movies. What I can't handle is a lot of circular motion, like the shots that Martin Scorsese did in Color of Money pretty much made me puke. Or stuff in Gravity I almost had to leave the theater, even closing my eyes wasn't enough.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Lots of FPS video games make me ill - it's a combination of head bob, field of view, motion blur and what I just learned for Dying Light last year - chromatic aberration. I had to refund Sniper Contracts because of the head bob - within 10 minutes I was ready to hurl.

There were a couple scenes in Black Summer with running and (the worst) flashlight + running in the dark that had me closing my eyes, but thankfully it was pretty limited.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Finished season 2. Liked the scenario, wondered about the characters, hated the pacing.

Spoiler:
This was a zombie series I could consume on my computer by skipping forward in 10-second increments whenever necessary. The creators seemed to love slow-burn scenes of walking or crouching or sneaking, but I just needed to jump past them. I could usually watch a 45-minute episode in 10 or 15 minutes.

There was a calculated refusal to nail down geography. That's fine, but what it meant was that a dozen or more characters who apparently started in a city in the Pacific Northwest traveled northish for miles and months in a wide-open Canada but were never more than a few miles away from each other because they kept crossing paths.

The worst thing was how characters would telegraph that (due to the proximity of enemies or zombies) stealth was crucial, but then minutes later go into top-volume conversations about choices and trust. It was always clear that the zombie or Evil Person threat only existed when it was plot-appropriate.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I've dipped into the first few episodes of Z Nation, and... am I wrong that Black Summer is its prequel?

Everything is different: narrative tone, zombie behavior (slow vs fast), etc. Is there some explanation for the discrepancies, or are we just supposed to roll with it?

I *do* like that Z Nation is playing with tropes and trying to avoid being just another Walking Dead, but the prequel's differences make me wonder about the narrative relationship.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, see my first post.

The timeline isn't exactly clear, but I think it's been years and years between the Netflix show and the start of Z Nation.

The tone is different - it's going to get campy - but the characters are great and I enjoyed all the actors and how they were portrayed. I was sad they cancelled it, but I looked forward to watching every episode.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finished S1 last night and really enjoyed it. I kind of wish they spent more time on pretty much everything, but on the other hand I am glad they are not going at the glacial pace of TWD. I also watched the first episode of S2 and I am very intrigued. This is one brutal world.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Holman wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:05 pmI *do* like that Z Nation is playing with tropes and trying to avoid being just another Walking Dead, but the prequel's differences make me wonder about the narrative relationship.
I started with Z Nation and immediately felt like it was really nothing more than a discount version of The Walking Dead. Discount Rick, Discount Michonne, Discount everyone. I almost quit watching because it was just inferior but following the same track. Then it broke the rails and went off into left field and I've been watching episode after episode.

Just about every episode gets me to be like...NSFW (Language)
Spoiler:
When I'm done I'll have to pick up Black Summer.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:31 pm We should finish S4 of Handmaid's Tale tonight so give me a couple weeks and I will break the tie on S2 of Black Summer...
Thumbs up on season 2. For the record, I had no issues with the first few episodes and the order or any of the pacing. I guess I am just easy to please. The worst part of the season for me was how it ended. I won't go into it because spoilers, but that wasn't very satisfying.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter