Sunglasses topic

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

Sunglasses topic

Post by Kasey Chang »

I know everyone probably has their own favorite brands, from classic Ray-ban to uber-elite Randall Engineering or Costa Del Mar or Oakleys, to uber-tactical Gatorz or ESS, down to cheap Chinese $20 or even dollar store versions.

I personally wear Gunnars (better known for their gaming glasses) and the $20-25 made in China ones I found on Amazon... and I have a prescription pair from Zenni that's also photochromatic.

So what do you all wear?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
stessier

Re: Sunglasses topic

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Is there a ubiquitous brand for the $5 pair you buy off a rack at the grocer?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

https://www.sunglasswarehouse.com

They run 40% off site wide sales regularly, as well as $5 Fridays on select stuff.

I tend to buy 3-4 at a time for when they inevitably get scratched or lost.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I used to wear Wiley X but wasn't a fan of the quality of the frames. Got several pair of Nikes with Max Optics. Clearest lenses I found in my limited search. $30-60 on sale IIRC, depending on the style.

Pair for the car, pair I carry, and backup at home. I threw the Wileys in the range bag.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I wear Rx shades, so I only ever have one pair at a time and usually keep it for years, until my scrip changes. My current pair is gold-colored mirrored Ray Bans. I like them and hope they last a good long time.
disarm

Post by disarm »

My current go-to pair are polarized Maui Jims that actually have tinted glass lenses rather than plastic. I keep them in my car most of the time. They're by far the best sunglasses I've owned and worth every penny.

I also have a pair of very lightweight, plastic-frame Smiths that I use for running/hiking/physical activity. The polarized tint is great quality, they're very durable (won't bend/smash), and they stay put even if I'm dripping sweat while running.

I've gone through a couple pairs of Oakleys over the years and do like them, but I've found that the coating eventually starts to peel off the lenses no matter how well you take care of them. I'd rather not buy $200+ sunglasses that I know will have to be replaced after 4-5 years.

Last edited by disarm on Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have no idea of the brands I buy. I usually pay good money for them.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I wear a hat.

I think I got prescription sunglasses like 20 years ago. They probably aren't going to be very useful to me now.

I wore Oakleys in the 90s when I didn't wear corrective lenses and played a lot of sand volleyball. It's what the cool kids did, dammit.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

I use prescription Maui Jim's Banyan's so I have wrap around protection for my good eye.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I have a pair of Wiley X Valor, and some extra lenses, but I stopped wearing it because it really is too small for my head, and since it's plastic I can't really bend it.

The surprising part about Gunnars is despite their "gamerz" heritage, most of their frames are surprisingly metal except for the ones that are really plastic-y, like Intercept. And to me, pretty stylish, compared to everyone else just cloning Way-farers and other old Ray-ban styles.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My Margaritaville shades broke, so I went to Menards to see what else was there. They had bifocal sunglasses, normal with 2.00+ reading bifocal lenses. Now I no longer need to switch when outside!
Black Lives Matter
Roman

Post by Roman »

i discovered(*) Randolph aviators a few years back.
I have 2 of these - one in bright chrome and the other pair are matt chrome both are polarised. Really love the look and they have a ridiculous guarantee.
https://www.randolphusa.com/products/av ... 0626179212

(*) Discovered - how? I'll share the story here but only because I know you guys/gals won't make fun of me :)
So a few years back I am bored and trying to decide what movie to watch on a Friday night. I end up watching the Baywatch remake.....
Zack Efron (sp?) was wearing these really cool frames and I decided to google what they were. Landed on the fact that they are from Randolph Engineering - handmade down in the US.

Next step was to find a local dealer - done. Made an appointment the next week and bought the 1st pair (thank you company benefit plan)
Love them!
Please don't tell anyone that I watched Baywatch. thank you.

Roman
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Oakleys - regular use, plus cycling, skiing, etc. - the wrap-around better coverage keeps stuff out of my eyes as well as the sun.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:29 pm I wear a hat.

I think I got prescription sunglasses like 20 years ago. They probably aren't going to be very useful to me now.
When you reach a certain age your ophthalmologist will advise you to never go outside without sunglasses, because macular degeneration.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I've not been able to tolerate being in the sun without shades for damn near 40 years now. The thing is, I lose them/break them frequently, so it's never been a good idea to buy expensive ones. I generally have to wear them even on cloudy days if the sky is still somewhat bright.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

One thing about getting new lenses is I got rid of the glare from the sun and the headlights at night.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Goodrs. They're cheap, they're comfy, and they stay in place while running. And the company attempts to be carbon-neutral.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I've had a pair of tortoise shell Solar Shields for quite a while. I think they are made to go over glasses, but I don't. Around $30 I think.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Panama Jack? Whatever I got at Walmart last.

edit: I just remembered I lost the Panama Jacks as I have a habit of putting them on my cap when outdoors and they fall off and I don't know it. Which is why I do not buy expensive sunglasses.

The pair I have now is Magellan Outdoors from Academy Sports. $25
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:11 pm
coopasonic wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:29 pm I wear a hat.

When you reach a certain age your ophthalmologist will advise you to never go outside without sunglasses, because macular degeneration.
I would have to go to the ophthalmologist to hear that and also, who wants to go outside? Also I am way overdue to see my eye doctor... and GP. I knew there was too much money in the bank account.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Lassr wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:57 am edit: I just remembered I lost the Panama Jacks as I have a habit of putting them on my cap when outdoors and they fall off and I don't know it. Which is why I do not buy expensive sunglasses.
That's why we use straps so they hang around our necks.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I wear progressive bifocals when out and about, and I'm not in the sun enough to be able to justify the cost of a prescription pair, so I use a pair of clip-ons from Zeni for my prescription for the once-per-month that I actually need them. They're modern clip-ons, so they match the lenses and just slide on, not the awful clip-ons that flip up from days past.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:06 pm I wear progressive bifocals when out and about, and I'm not in the sun enough to be able to justify the cost of a prescription pair, so I use a pair of clip-ons from Zeni for my prescription for the once-per-month that I actually need them. They're modern clip-ons, so they match the lenses and just slide on, not the awful clip-ons that flip up from days past.
Me too. I've got good clip-ons that fit my frame.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.