2020(1) Olympics

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: 2020(1) Olympics

Post by Jeff V »

I've shot bows, yes. Target bows, especially the high-tech ones shown, are a far cry from English longbows or even standard hunting bows (which I have shot). You have slight girls shooting the things for fuck's sake. When you see people playing darts in a bar, do you complement them on being finely honed athletes?
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Here's the basic flow chart:

Does a tool do most of the work? Yes -> Not a sport
No->
Does it require a panel of likely biased judges to rate your performance? Yes -> Not a sport
No->
Does the quality of something non-human play a role in the outcome? Yes-> Not a sport
No->
Is it commonly played as a drinking game? Yes-> Not a sport
No->
Is it soccer? Yes-> Oh hell, not a fucking sport
No->
Do children have an advantage over adults? Yes -> should not be a sport
No ->
Can an athlete become competitive with little or no actual training? Yes-> Not a really good sport
No -> It might possibly be a sport. Re-check your answers above.
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Who said anything about "finely honed athletes"?

But to be utterly dismissive and insulting about someone's achievements?

And I highly doubt that your "slight girls" are going to be shooting the same as contestants in the Olympics.

From the first link I found:
Archery is known for using a unique combination of muscles in the back, arms, shoulders and core.
At full draw, Brady Ellison holds 53 pounds of tension on the first three fingers of his right hand.
A competitive Olympic recurve archer regularly trains by shooting an average of 300 arrows per day. The cumulative weight that's drawn, held and release with their fingers is between 7 and 8 tons.

During an Olympic competition day, archers can shoot nearly 100 arrows between scoring and practice ends, totaling about 4,000 pounds of cumulative draw weight under the extreme stress of competition.
Do I think they are "finely tuned athletes"? Yes. For what they are doing, I do. Can they jump over a high bar? Or do a vault? Nope. But I also don't think that a track and field athlete or a gymnast would be able to hit the archery target reliably (though they certainly might get lucky).

There are a number of events at the Olympics that I don't necessarily agree should be there. But I don't denigrate the competitors.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

So.... You don't actually think anything in the Olympics is a sport.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Seriously. A bow doesn't draw, hold, aim, or fire itself. It doesn't judge for wind speed and projectile drop. It doesn't have to overcome stress and exhaustion.

That's all skill. The bow is just the tool.

It's like saying that a master carpenter with years of training isn't important because the saw does all the work.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The fact that you guys are indulging Jeff in this discussion is a bit disappointing.

He just said that the most popular sport on the planet is not a sport. That should end the discussion.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:18 pm I've shot bows, yes. Target bows, especially the high-tech ones shown, are a far cry from English longbows or even standard hunting bows (which I have shot). You have slight girls shooting the things for fuck's sake. When you see people playing darts in a bar, do you complement them on being finely honed athletes?
"Slight girls" repeatedly drawing a bow at 40lbs and maintaining precision enough to hit a target at over 200 feet away over 100 times in a row? I'd say that's at least mildly athletic. The "high tech" Olympic recurves don't magically alter physics. In fact, most of the stuff on there are weights that add balance but make the bow heavier.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:36 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:33 pm So it's like NASCAR?
Pretty much, except there's no place to put a beer holder in archery.
With all the stuff hanging off competitive bows, are you sure one of them isn't a beer holder?
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

That's the definition of practicing a skill. Not substantially different than throwing an 18# bowling ball. I didn't struggle with 40# bows when I was an even slighter boy scout nearly 50 years ago, and you've seen how thin my arms are. My wife always mocks my lack of defined biceps. A 75# pull definitely takes some strength, especially doing so repetitively and I wonder if they might be more accurate if they could master target shooting at that pull. Of course, there's the matter of obliterating the target. I bought a standard archery target, I once set it up against my garage and not only put the arrow through the target but also clear through the garage wall. And it was a target tip, not sure a hunting tip would have made it through the wall (more surface area) but it give you some idea what sort of damage it does to a bunny when you hit it at 10 paces.

And keep in mind these bows used today are more high tech than the bows I used all those years ago (the hunting bow I had was a compound bow).

I also want to mention that fat bastard of Olympics past was not The Mountain. I also recall him being something like 45 years old. He was just a fat bastard who could use his tool properly.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Biyobi wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:14 pm With all the stuff hanging off competitive bows, are you sure one of them isn't a beer holder?
Now that you mention it...

But the drinking version of archery is darts. The drink holder is your off-hand, which is used for counterbalance. I've done some competitive darts before so I speak from a position of strength. I once won a girl in a dart game.
Last edited by Jeff V on Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

BTW, Lawbeef, today watching the coverage on USA and it's chock-a-block with fringe sports, including archery. They're showing competitions that have no US involvement too. Saw archery, judo, boxing, rowing, weightlifting and fencing.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:42 pm BTW, Lawbeef, today watching the coverage on USA and it's chock-a-block with fringe sports, including archery. They're showing competitions that have no US involvement too. Saw archery, judo, boxing, rowing, weightlifting and fencing.
Fringe?

Archery, judo (which might be considered martial wrestling), boxing, rowing, weightlifting and fencing were (along with running) the premier markers of physical prowess in the Ancient world and for centuries after.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:28 pm Here's the basic flow chart:

Does a tool do most of the work? Yes -> Not a sport
No->
Does it require a panel of likely biased judges to rate your performance? Yes -> Not a sport
No->
Does the quality of something non-human play a role in the outcome? Yes-> Not a sport
No->
Is it commonly played as a drinking game? Yes-> Not a sport
No->
No->
Do children have an advantage over adults? Yes -> should not be a sport
No ->
Can an athlete become competitive with little or no actual training? Yes-> Not a really good sport
No -> It might possibly be a sport. Re-check your answers above.
My buddy in college was in competitive shape for a Rhodes scholarship except that they still had an athletic requirement at the time. He wrote a letter to the Rhodes committee arguing that chess (at which he was an international master) was a sport.

They refused his argument, but it looks like you just proved it!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Fringe as in not Baseball, football, basketball, boxing or hockey. Everything else is a marginal freak sport of interest only once every 4 years.

Watching volleyball. The announcer had something poignant to say regarding one team respecting another. My middle-age sports moment happened to be in volleyball...I was on a team of upper-30-somethings taking on a college team of early 20-somethings. The kids annihilated us in the first game. Second game, we were losing big early...then we rallied and won (I had a killer serve). The other team couldn't believe they lost, were pointing fingers at each other, and we destroyed them in the third game to win the match. :D
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holy shit, watching Volleyball now, and they mentioned one player was lefthanded but was forced by has family to be right handed. I thought that was a medieval thing? My dad had to do it, he was lefthanded and wound up being able to throw and catch with either hand and had impeccable handwriting/draftsmen printing with either hand. I didn't realize there was still barbarians out there doing such a thing! I'm left-handed (as well as my wife) and I always found it a bit of advantage in sports things.
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:34 pm Holy shit, watching Volleyball now, and they mentioned one player was lefthanded but was forced by has family to be right handed. I thought that was a medieval thing?
It was still a thing in the USSR up through the late 70s...
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

But this is the 2020's....

In just about every sport I've played, being left-handed was a nominal advantage.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:28 pm Here's the basic flow chart:
No->
Show your work.
Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:34 pm Holy shit, watching Volleyball now, and they mentioned one player was lefthanded but was forced by has family to be right handed. I thought that was a medieval thing? My dad had to do it, he was lefthanded and wound up being able to throw and catch with either hand and had impeccable handwriting/draftsmen printing with either hand. I didn't realize there was still barbarians out there doing such a thing! I'm left-handed (as well as my wife) and I always found it a bit of advantage in sports things.
My ex's step dad was raised in Switzerland and they would not let him be left handed from whatever version of small Swiss culture that was. He would have been a child of the 50s/60s.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:19 pm That's the definition of practicing a skill. Not substantially different than throwing an 18# bowling ball. I didn't struggle with 40# bows when I was an even slighter boy scout nearly 50 years ago, and you've seen how thin my arms are. My wife always mocks my lack of defined biceps. A 75# pull definitely takes some strength, especially doing so repetitively and I wonder if they might be more accurate if they could master target shooting at that pull. Of course, there's the matter of obliterating the target. I bought a standard archery target, I once set it up against my garage and not only put the arrow through the target but also clear through the garage wall. And it was a target tip, not sure a hunting tip would have made it through the wall (more surface area) but it give you some idea what sort of damage it does to a bunny when you hit it at 10 paces.

And keep in mind these bows used today are more high tech than the bows I used all those years ago (the hunting bow I had was a compound bow).

Again, talk to me when you can hit pie plate at 77 yards.

FWIW, I was in Boy Scouts ~40 years ago and those weren't 40# bows. They were under 25#.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Watching all the angry white boomers continue to melt down over Biles' decision to step away because she "betrayed America" is just...gross.

Those people all suck.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:16 pm Fringe as in not Baseball, football, basketball, boxing or hockey. Everything else is a marginal freak sport of interest only once every 4 years.
Football (the American one) is a fringe sport. Same with hockey.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:32 pm Watching all the angry white boomers continue to melt down over Biles' decision to step away because she "betrayed America" is just...gross.

Those people all suck.
You owe us your health and physical safety because… well….I’m sure I’ll think of it soon.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy wrote:people … suck.
Mortoned
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:47 pm Football (the American one) is a fringe sport.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most-watched_television_broadcasts wrote:Regional annual sporting events like the Super Bowl in the U.S., and the REDACTED, televised live worldwide, have emerged among the world's most-watched television broadcasts.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:14 pm
Strawman argument. Since when can only those proficient at something be allowed to comment on it?

And we had bows up to 50# pull in scouts. The 20-25# bows were only effective at 20 yards, the stronger ones were required for 50 yards. A 40 was the most I could handle, and I generally didn't shoot at the far targets unless the shorter ones were occupied. And I spent a lot of time at the archery range. I always had the place to myself on Sunday mornings when successfully avoiding the compulsory church services (and the root of my hatred for that organization).
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:02 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:14 pm
Strawman argument. Since when can only those proficient at something be allowed to comment on it?
You're making judgements on the difficulty and physical proficiency necessary. You directly stated they there is no physical component since "slight girls" are able to do it. I'd say that's ignorance talking unless you can back it up with proficiency.

MYT
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:55 am
Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:47 pm Football (the American one) is a fringe sport.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most-watched_television_broadcasts wrote:Regional annual sporting events like the Super Bowl in the U.S., and the REDACTED, televised live worldwide, have emerged among the world's most-watched television broadcasts.
If you look at the sources cited for that claim, they don't support that claim.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/216 ... iewership/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 490351.stm

Superbowl's numbers are based mostly on US viewers only. At the rest of the world, American Football is a fringe sport.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

No, it is popular in Europe (where the NFL is sponsoring teams) and also is a major event in Asia. And I presume Australia and Canada, who have their own versions of the game. When I was in the Philippines, I had little trouble finding broadcasts of my local team from Chicago. I've heard in the past that the Super Bowl is a pretty big deal in China, too. And as far as your fellow Pacific Islanders go, you can't possibly suggest the NFL isn't wildly popular in Samoa...that's where some of our biggest linemen come from! :D
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My kids have shown moderate interest in the Olympics (they've not been interested watching any sports heretofore). Today, my 4 year old asked me, "Daddy, why is that the stupidchase?" My answer, "because it's a race, with stupid obstacles thrown in for no logical reason." She accepted that answer.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Simone Biles explains a bit more about what's going on with her. Has to be brutal for someone with her training to be unsure of how her body is moving.
Biles had a disastrous vault in the women's team final Tuesday. She seemed to get lost in the air -- a phenomenon called "the twisties," which can cause serious injuries to gymnasts who perform airborne routines. It usually takes some time before the gymnasts can get over the twisties.

This was not happening before she left the U.S, Biles said, adding that "it randomly started happening after prelims competition the very next morning."

Biles also answered several questions from fans, revealing that she is still dealing with the twisties as of Friday morning, adding, "Sometimes I can't even fathom twisting. I seriously cannot comprehend how to twist. Strangest and weirdest thing as well as feeling."
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Is that like the gymnastics version of the yips?

US Women's Soccer just won in penalty shootout to reach the semi-finals. They have had an amazing nine disallowed goals due to offsides in the Olympics, three alone in this last match. Most have been just a fraction offsides, but they'll need to clean that up if they want win gold.
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

This is pretty fun. A couple of profoundly un-athletic British comedians try Olympic sports.

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

This Chinese pistol shooter (video should be set to his appearance) is my favorite athlete of these Olympics. His uniform? Jeans and a t-shirt. His shooting stance? Slouching casually with one hand in his pocket. The only thing missing is a cigarette dangling out of his mouth.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Not much in the way of sponsorships for air pistol.

MYT
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

AWS260 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:18 pm This is pretty fun. A couple of profoundly un-athletic British comedians try Olympic sports.
Thanks for posting this; I loved it!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

AWS260 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:52 pm This Chinese pistol shooter (video should be set to his appearance) is my favorite athlete of these Olympics. His uniform? Jeans and a t-shirt. His shooting stance? Slouching casually with one hand in his pocket. The only thing missing is a cigarette dangling out of his mouth.
What a terrible thing say about such a highly trained athlete.

Before he comes in and says so, no, Lawbeef, I probably can't shoot a pistol as good as that guy. I bet I could bike or run circles around him though.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m pretty sure every person here could bike and run circles around someone standing still and shooting a gun. I mean….they’re standing still.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:04 pm
AWS260 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:52 pm This Chinese pistol shooter (video should be set to his appearance) is my favorite athlete of these Olympics. His uniform? Jeans and a t-shirt. His shooting stance? Slouching casually with one hand in his pocket. The only thing missing is a cigarette dangling out of his mouth.
What a terrible thing say about such a highly trained athlete.

Before he comes in and says so, no, Lawbeef, I probably can't shoot a pistol as good as that guy. I bet I could bike or run circles around him though.
I'm not going to call air pistol an athletic endeavor. It takes skill and muscle memory but with zero recoil it's truly point and shoot.

MYT