Fundraising complete, next renewal is August 2022. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

The Semi-Official Death Watch of the 4th Estate Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: The Semi-Official Death Watch of the 4th Estate Thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

German's is the name of the chocolate company.
Its roots can be traced back to 1852 when American baker Samuel German developed a type of dark baking chocolate for the Baker's Chocolate Company. The brand name of the product, Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate, was named in his honor.
The possessive form (German's) was dropped in subsequent publications, forming the "German Chocolate Cake" identity and giving the false impression of a German origin.
There are no coconuts native to Germany.
Black Lives Matter

Unrelated: "It's its own cloaca, shaped in its perfect, unique way"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

But what if a swallow...
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:42 pm German's is the name of the chocolate company.
Its roots can be traced back to 1852 when American baker Samuel German developed a type of dark baking chocolate for the Baker's Chocolate Company. The brand name of the product, Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate, was named in his honor.
The possessive form (German's) was dropped in subsequent publications, forming the "German Chocolate Cake" identity and giving the false impression of a German origin.
There are no coconuts native to Germany.
Nor chocolate.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:03 am But what if a swallow...
Black Lives Matter

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:42 pm There are no coconuts native to Germany.
The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land...
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The reporting on OO is definitely superior to the national media.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

oops, I see that was already done. :? :doh:
Carpet_pissr

The Semi-Official Death Watch of the 4th Estate Thread

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Now somebody do “Black Forest Cake”.

I mentioned that that cake was probably my favorite to a German acquaintance, and she looked at me like I had said “Nazi Cake”. Said she had never heard of such a thing (and not in a very polite way I might add). :(

FWIW: if you forced me to choose between a slice of German Choc cake or Black Forest cake, it might drive me insane. I love both. Maybe slight preference for BFC.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My favorite German/English story is when I went to Germany in high school and saw a man walking with a German shepherd. I excitedly asked my German friend what he called that kind of dog. He replied, "A shepherd."

I mean, I guess it was obvious but I was delighted. :D
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ein Deutsche Hund.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:31 am Now somebody do “Black Forest Cake”.

I mentioned that that cake was probably my favorite to a German acquaintance, and she looked at me like I had said “Nazi Cake”. Said she had never heard of such a thing (and not in a very polite way I might add). :(

FWIW: if you forced me to choose between a slice of German Choc cake or Black Forest cake, it might drive me insane. I love both. Maybe slight preference for BFC.
One wonders what your German friend was hiding...

Black Forest gateau
Black Forest gâteau or Black Forest cake (American English) is a chocolate sponge cake with a rich cherry filling based on the German dessert Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte (pronounced [ˈʃvaʁt͡svɛldɐ ˈkɪʁʃˌtɔʁtə]), literally "Black Forest Cherry-torte".
The dessert is not directly named after the Black Forest mountain range in southwestern Germany.

According to one school of thought, the name is derived from the specialty liquor of that region, known as Schwarzwälder Kirsch(wasser), which is distilled from tart cherries. This is the ingredient that gives the dessert its distinctive cherry pit flavor and alcoholic content flavor. Cherries, cream, and Kirschwasser were first combined in the form of a dessert in which cooked cherries were served with cream and Kirschwasser, while a cake combining cherries, cookies / biscuits and cream (but without Kirschwasser) probably originated in Germany.

Some sources claim that the name of the cake is inspired by the traditional costume of the women of the Black Forest region, with a characteristic hat with big, red pom-poms on top, called Bollenhut.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:55 am Ein Deutsche Hund.
Ein deutcher Schaferhund

I had to look it up, but I only went looking because you mixed the genders on your adjectives and I couldn't remember which was correct. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I guess if I had said “Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte” she would have known what I was talking about.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image
I'm so far off the map the sun is shining
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

cherry pit flavor ?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

stessier wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:41 pm
Jaymann wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:55 am Ein Deutsche Hund.
Ein deutcher Schaferhund

I had to look it up, but I only went looking because you mixed the genders on your adjectives and I couldn't remember which was correct. :)
This is what happens when you do a foreign language from memory of a high school class. It is kind of like some of the funny expressions we hear from people speaking English as a second language. I understand our idioms and contractions are particularly opaque.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Unagi wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:10 pm cherry pit flavor ?
It's kind of an almond flavor with wisps of the ghosts of cherry skins.
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Heh. It’s cyanide.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Black Lives Matter

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote:Enlarge Image
Says the blue freak wearing a feather collar.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:54 pm
Smoove_B wrote:Enlarge Image
Says the blue freak wearing a feather collar.
Woah what is with the body shaming?!? That's his natural "body hair"!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Wow - didn't see this. Talk about MSM really just screwing up badly. Multiple outlets apparently jumped to publish an inaccurate account based on one source.

From the WaPo story - this is just absolutely inexcusable considering the insurrectionists love to cry fake news to rally their troops. And I can't help but notice many talked about the correction to set it straight but I can find anyone stepping up to chastise the big players.
But it appears that competitive pressures and a lack of a response from Giuliani and his representatives on deadline helped push the stories in the wrong direction.

“We weren’t rigorous enough,” conceded Times editor Dean Baquet in an interview Monday.

Baquet said the Times reporters scrambled to match what appeared to be a major Giuliani scoop by The Post after it was published Thursday. “I think we all tend to drop our guard when we get beat and are trying to catch up,” he said. “We need to grill sources more to make sure we understand exactly what they’re confirming. We’ve all discussed it, corrected it, and we need to do better. Dealing with anonymous sources in law enforcement and intelligence is always hard.”