The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Alefroth

Re: The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

Post by Alefroth »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:04 pm Also, while I feel for the workload burden on other troopers...for the most part anyone willing to actually resign over this is probably doing us a favor overall.
I like to think of it as debridement.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:41 pm
Drazzil wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:33 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:42 pm Ben Garrison volunteers for a Darwin Herman Cain Award...
Anti-Vaccine Cartoonist Ben Garrison Says He's Got Covid-19, Won't Go to Hospital
The pro-Trump cartoonist says he's lost about 15 pounds and is taking ivermectin.
FTFY :D
As Amos would say, Why not both? ;)
Hasn't he already bred?
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:42 pm Ben Garrison volunteers for a Darwin Herman Cain Award...
Anti-Vaccine Cartoonist Ben Garrison Says He's Got Covid-19, Won't Go to Hospital
The pro-Trump cartoonist says he's lost about 15 pounds and is taking ivermectin.
Why *NOT* both. :D
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

He fails the primary criteria:

Born: 1957 (age 64 years)
Spouse: Tina Norton Garrison
Children: 1
Education: Angelo State University (BA)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The other threads are a little low, and this is about a game-changer in the vaccination process, so it's going here ;)

3d printed Vaccine patches
Email

Technology
3-D printed vaccine patch pioneered at UNC could revolutionize how we distribute vaccinations
Sunday, September 26, 2021 5:03AM
EMBED <>More Videos
<iframe width="476" height="267" src="https://abc11.com/video/embed/?pid=11049030" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Instead of getting an injection at your doctor's office...future shots could be painless and administered in your own time anywhere that's convenient.
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WTVD) -- New technology coming out of UNC Chapel Hill could change everything about how vaccines are administered.

Scientists at UNC and Stanford created a 3-D printed vaccine patch that's as small as the tip of your finger.

The vaccine patch uses microneedles just long enough to attach to the skin. From there, the vaccine directly targets immune cells in the skin.

The brains behind the new vaccine patch said it creates an immune response 10 times stronger than a typical vaccine injection that sends its contents into muscle.

The skin patch is also painless, can be self-administered and doesn't need to be kept in the freezer.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Even without the 3D printing that would be huge.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:01 pm

How so? He's already been nominated.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This is why we need to have better science in schools.

Biological fitness (according to Darwin) involves the creation of whatever amounts to a grandchild - your offspring needs to reproduce. In this way, your genetic material has now been passed to another generation. Having a child isn't enough to ensure fitness - nature can make sterile offspring from random creatures that mate.

So giving someone a Darwin award after they've had a child is ignoring that they've completed step one of Darwin's requirements. In other words, having a child should disqualify you from being nominated as you've just cleared the first hurdle.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Drazzil wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:40 pm

Failed the Darwin Award criteria because he has one child but still eligible for Herman Cain Award.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

New favorite response

An anti-masker in line behind me turned to a masked, elderly woman behind her and said, "why are wearing a mask?" She replied, "so I won't catch whatever it is that makes you act that way."
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Can't wait until we get a vaccine against it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

New York Governor Kathy Hochul said: she will deploy medically trained National Guard troops to replace unvaccinated healthcare workers, who will be fired tonight.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:53 pm
Drazzil wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:40 pm

Failed the Darwin Award criteria because he has one child but still eligible for Herman Cain Award.
Maybe he will spread it to his son. Not rooting for it, just saying.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

IIRC, the way "Herman Cain Award" works is any antivaxxer who caught COVID gets a nomination. If they die, they get the award.

Loomer already got a nomination.

Wasn't there an editorial recently about how the far right is doing the damnedest to kill its own constituents?

Or accusing the Dems of "using reverse psychology"? If you're dumb enough to fall for such an "obvious" tactic, maybe it's your problem in making it an us vs. them wedge issue.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:45 pm This is why we need to have better science in schools.

Biological fitness (according to Darwin) involves the creation of whatever amounts to a grandchild - your offspring needs to reproduce. In this way, your genetic material has now been passed to another generation. Having a child isn't enough to ensure fitness - nature can make sterile offspring from random creatures that mate.

So giving someone a Darwin award after they've had a child is ignoring that they've completed step one of Darwin's requirements. In other words, having a child should disqualify you from being nominated as you've just cleared the first hurdle.
/evolutionary biologist hat on

Technically, you don't even have to have children/grandchildren to gain (inclusive) fitness. I don't have any children but my two brothers each have two. Since I share ~50% of my genes with my brothers, their children share ~25% of their genes with me. When you take them all together, genetically it's like I have had two children myself. :horse:

/evolutionary biologist hat off
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's what I get for switching out from being a biology major and missing out on the edge cases - you're much further down the chain. :wink:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Just got the go-ahead for a booster as a hospital employee. I'm over 9 8 mos since second dose. Can't hurt, right?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:25 pm Just got the go-ahead for a booster as a hospital employee. I'm over 9 8 mos since second dose. Can't hurt, right?
Mine hurt a lot more than the 2nd shot. Even after the headache, etc... subsided, my right arm was hot for week. You could feel the heat from three inches away. That means it's working, right?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Can you describe the city structure that the nanobots are building? Might need a magnifying glass.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:25 pm Just got the go-ahead for a booster as a hospital employee. I'm over 9 8 mos since second dose. Can't hurt, right?
Very hotly debated right now amongst researchers and academics. Will it hurt? Nope. Will it help - that's the biggest question. *So far* the data suggests that people over the age of 70 are at greatest risk right now in terms of hospitalization and death. I've seen plenty of infectious disease doctors and virologists saying on paper they qualify for a 3rd shot but they're not getting it as they don't believe it's necessary.

We continue to live in...interesting times.
malchior

Post by malchior »

We'll see if she figured out how to get herself bumped from an administrative discharge to a dishonorable discharge.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yes, please make a list. It'll make it easier to know who to avoid.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

There are 100s of 1000s of jobs out there. That's been the complaint of the business owning right, who want you to work under their conditions for $10 an hour with no benefits and they've wanted you unvaccinated but at work since May of 2020. Why not go suck at their billionaire teats for hard labor at less than sustenance wage?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Why would that TikTok lead to a dishonorable discharge? It seemed like she shared everything in a pretty straightforward manner and was just asking for help identifying outside resources. She didn't call anyone out or provide commentary on what she thought of the order.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:37 am School has started in NJ and two large school districts in the Trumpiest parts of our state indicated that they're not wearing masks this week because it's "too hot". When the governor signed the order there was an inclusion for temperature-related exemptions. While not specific, the idea is to account for days when it's 90+ and humid. For reference, today in NJ it's around 82% with some humidity. These school districts have been vocal about being forced to wear masks so now they're taking advantage of an exemption for stiggin' it purposes.
So that was 9/8. Let's check back in with that school district in NJ to see how their "it's too hot to wear masks" policy worked:
About 900 staff and students in the Toms River school district, which began the year with an optional mask policy, were listed as under quarantine early Wednesday due to possible COVID-19 exposure following 250 confirmed cases.

So far, 218 students and 33 employees have tested positive, though not all those cases are currently active, according to district data. Currently, 864 students and 26 staff members are at home because they were in close contact with someone who tested positive or have recently tested positive.

Those totals represent nearly 6% of students and 1.2% of staf
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Blasting state officials for putting her into such an “impossible position,” local nurse Sophia Wood confirmed Wednesday that she was carefully weighing whether she was better off getting the vaccine or losing her job and dying. “On the plus side, if get vaccinated, I could get to continue to live my life healthy and happy with no drawbacks, but is that really worth giving up the right to die while out of work?” said the healthcare worker, who had spent the past weeks agonizing over a long list of pros and cons of getting vaccinated that she had written up for each side of the issue. “On one hand, I have way more items listed under the pros column, like ‘keep job,’ ‘protect others,’ and ‘protect myself,’ but on the other, I have ‘freedom’ written in big red letters, circled, and underlined multiple times. I’m pretty torn between the two. Who would issue such a cruel ultimatum?” At press time, Wood assured herself that regardless of the choice she ultimately made, she would wind up back in the hospital.

The Onion
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

:lol:
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

YouTube is cracking down on the spread of misinformation by banning misleading and inaccurate content about vaccines.

The platform announced the change in a blog post Wednesday, explaining that its current community guidelines, which already prohibit the sharing of medical misinformation, have been extended to cover "currently administered" vaccines that have been proven safe by the World Health Organization and other health officials.
https://www.npr.org/2021/09/29/10414935 ... mation-ban
Russia's state censor has threatened to block YouTube in the country in retaliation for the Google-owned video platform deleting two German-language channels belonging to the Kremlin-funded broadcaster RT for allegedly publishing misinformation around COVID-19.
https://abcnews.go.com/International/ru ... d=80298618
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Ah, you gotta love the Onion for just the right amount of bite in its satire.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Crazy guy runs into Canadian pharmacy, screams that his wife did NOT have his permission to get the COVID vaccine, punches the nurse multiple times in the face, then ran out. WTF?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Latest COVID denier talking point of "natural immunity" is defeated by data

Oklahoma infection rate shows that vaccinated rates of "breakthru" infection is HALF that of people who had COVID and get ANOTHER bout of COVID.

raydude

Post by raydude »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:13 am Latest COVID denier talking point of "natural immunity" is defeated by data

Oklahoma infection rate shows that vaccinated rates of "breakthru" infection is HALF that of people who had COVID and get ANOTHER bout of COVID.

Source
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Appears I'm now eligible at work for the booster as a healthcare employee. I've got to get my flu shot first but will likely go ahead and get the booster shortly thereafter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

stessier wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:57 am Why would that TikTok lead to a dishonorable discharge? It seemed like she shared everything in a pretty straightforward manner and was just asking for help identifying outside resources. She didn't call anyone out or provide commentary on what she thought of the order.
There is a broad prohibition about making public unofficial statements in uniform. The instruction that really would get her in trouble is a stretch though. She'd be in some peril if this was deemed political. It is borderline but still don't the jab too seriously. It was mostly...look at this. They'd rather drum out of the military than get a vaccine when they've likely gotten a dozen other ones if they've deployed. It's deeply dumb.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, they got tired of quarantining students at my son's high school and implemented a mask requirement a month or so ago. Cases dropped by about 80%.

Since cases are now low, they're removing the mask requirement. Just in time for the holidays!

And people wonder why I have been living in a state of agitation and stress. But it's out of my hands. Deep breath. Let it go.
Spoiler:
Stupid fucking white trash administrator who expects everyone to address her as "Doctor" when she acts like she was educated in her own redneck bottom-tier school district, bowing to the moronic redneck fucknuts she's surrounded by that think that acting smart makes you an enemy, and who are to fucking stupid to realize just how fucking stupid they are. There are times I empathize with Drazzil and want to say that I hope the whole fucking county melts under a wave of anti-idiot disease to improve the gene pool, but I don't say that, because I remind myself that they are human fucking beings, although I'm not sure that the rest of humanity is any less stupid than this pack of rabid assholes who value their fucking freedom more than human fucking life.

Pant pant
Deep breath. Let it go.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I bet a few weeks after winter hits, they'll stop wearing coats and hats.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

"The house is on fire!"

"Quick, spray it with water!"

"It's working! The house is slightly less on fire!"

"Yay! Stop spraying the water!"

:?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Our district sent out a 10 minute video yesterday discussing the updates to the dress code and student conduct policy. It was some pretty standard stuff, until they got to the bullet point "students must be able to be identified by their face". The administrator who did the recording then said (paraphrasing):
"Wearing masks obviously complicates the issue of being able to identify students by their face. We will address issues around this on a case-by-case basis and determine what level of discipline is appropriate."
So...part of the updated dress code policy is to determine on a case-by-case basis if students should face discipline for wearing masks? :grund:

That was followed by:
If a mask mandate is ever put in place - and we certainly hope that drastic and completely unnecessary step is never taken in Utah schools - then we will re-evaluate this policy."
Pretty sure I blacked out because my head about went through my desk at that point.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

But they may consider implementing a completely unnecessary policy at some point?
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im still a little surprised that cashiers in stores....mostly the smaller tighter confined stores like Dollar General and such.... dont tend to wear a mask. I can barely stand to be in one 5 min with my mask tightly on. To stand in a store 8 hours waiting on countless people without a mask too. Suicide.