Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Octavious

Re: Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by Octavious »

So on my way home some psycho was setting up a Trump rally in the Quick Check parking lot to my left. To my right was a guy on a bike with black lives matters on the back of his outfit. I wonder if they could be friends?
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

Gaetz is now claiming that a DOJ official was trying to extort him for $25M or they'd 'smear his name'. He also claimed his father was wearing a wire and working with the FBI to flush them out. He is demanding the FBI release the "tapes" to clear his name.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

malchior wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:10 pm Gaetz is now claiming that a DOJ official was trying to extort him for $25M or they'd 'smear his name'. He also claimed his father was wearing a wire and working with the FBI to flush them out. He is demanding the FBI release the "tapes" to clear his name.
:pop:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

There is a bit of a major inconsistency about the Gaetz's totally sane claim. He claims the extortion scheme has been playing out over the last 'few weeks'. However, the announced investigation was greenlit by Barr who resigned in December. :think:
Holman

Post by Holman »

Innocent until proven guilty but Gaetz is 100% asshole either way.

Earlier today Gaetz was reported to be considering leaving Congress for a media position at Newsmax. I assume we're just a few hours from even Newsmax throwing him under the bus.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Sure he is innocent until proven guilty but he has been caught lying in the past. This appears to be a major whopper of a lie even if the allegations are untrue. I half expect the Newsmax story might be fabricated or overblown too. Maybe he knew the NYT story was coming and tried to get out in front but some detail caught him off-guard. In the end, the timing of all this breaking news looks bad for him as well.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This Gaetz tweet (which was creepy AF to begin with) has aged well.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:14 pm This Gaetz tweet (which was creepy AF to begin with) has aged well.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Depends on what part of Florida he's talking about. There's plenty of oldsters around. Now if he's talking Orlando, yeah...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thanks, Ballotpedia!

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

A Republican creeping on underage girls? Grab my fainting couch! Anyone who's as obsessed as these guys are at pointing fingers at the left for sex trafficking are surely doing it themselves. I've been saying it all along.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Totally the denial you make when the claim hasn’t even entered the news cycle.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I just watched more excerpts of this. This has to be one of the most time compressed political meltdowns we've seen in years.

This morning: Gaetz says he might retire from the House and work at Newsmax.

Afternoon: NY Times breaks story about DOJ investigation into his relationship with an underage girl

Early Evening: Gaetz rants about convoluted extortion scheme related to the investigation and drags his father in.

Slightly later: Goes on Tucker Carlson to implicate himself, turn Carlson into a witness potentially, and essentially throw a grenade in the fire.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Couldn’t happen to a guy with a more punchable face.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:53 pm Couldn’t happen to a guy with a more punchable face.
He interned under Bob's Big Boy.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LOL.

Hodor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Despite criticism, Charlie Baker still gets high marks.

His overall approval rating is 67%. "Seventy-one percent of those surveyed said they approved of Baker’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic, though he got lower marks — 58 percent approval — for the vaccine rollout in particular, the poll shows."

Charlie is a Republican in a deep-blue state, and I'm among the majority who thinks he's a good governor.
Baker’s popularity, Paleologos said, is “an unprecedented statistical phenomenon that he’s maintained after being in office for such a long period of time.”

Notably, Baker got higher marks from Democrats than Republicans, as some in his own party have said his restrictions on business go too far. Women, as well as Black and Hispanic residents, approved of Baker at higher rates than men and white and Asian residents.
If the GOP has a future, Charlie Baker is pointing the way. He's the reason I haven't jumped on the "I'll never vote for any Republican ever again" train. If he runs for another term, Democrats will be hard-pressed to find a better candidate.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Yet another GOP Politician unloads on what the 21st Century GOP has become.... *after* retiring and years too late to do anything about it but whine:
In the 2010 midterm election, voters from all over the place gave President Obama what he himself called “a shellacking.” And oh boy, was it ever. You could be a total moron and get elected just by having an R next to your name—and that year, by the way, we did pick up a fair number in that category....

...Some of them, well, you could tell they weren’t paying attention because they were just thinking of how to fundraise off of outrage or how they could get on Hannity that night. Ronald Reagan used to say something to the effect that if I get 80 or 90 percent of what I want, that’s a win. These guys wanted 100 percent every time. In fact, I don’t think that would satisfy them, because they didn’t really want legislative victories. They wanted wedge issues and conspiracies and crusades.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I feel like a resolution to tell Ted Cruz to go fuck himself would be the single easiest way for Biden to score a massive bipartisan victory.
Black Lives Matter.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Kraken wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:10 pm Despite criticism, Charlie Baker still gets high marks.

His overall approval rating is 67%. "Seventy-one percent of those surveyed said they approved of Baker’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic, though he got lower marks — 58 percent approval — for the vaccine rollout in particular, the poll shows."

Charlie is a Republican in a deep-blue state, and I'm among the majority who thinks he's a good governor.
Baker’s popularity, Paleologos said, is “an unprecedented statistical phenomenon that he’s maintained after being in office for such a long period of time.”

Notably, Baker got higher marks from Democrats than Republicans, as some in his own party have said his restrictions on business go too far. Women, as well as Black and Hispanic residents, approved of Baker at higher rates than men and white and Asian residents.
If the GOP has a future, Charlie Baker is pointing the way. He's the reason I haven't jumped on the "I'll never vote for any Republican ever again" train. If he runs for another term, Democrats will be hard-pressed to find a better candidate.
Baker is the real deal. I’d love to see him run for President, but I have a hard time seeing any path there.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kurth wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:35 am
Kraken wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:10 pm Despite criticism, Charlie Baker still gets high marks.

Baker is the real deal. I’d love to see him run for President, but I have a hard time seeing any path there.
I'm worried that he'll run for Senate, and then (if he wins) spend six-plus years abetting Mitch McConnell while joining the Susan Collins Frown Club.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:37 amI'm worried that he'll run for Senate, and then (if he wins) spend six-plus years abetting Mitch McConnell while joining the Susan Collins Frown Club.
That for me distills why I won't vote for any GOP member ever again*. Until they are broken we face a world where even the moderates are used to play out the worst version of the conservative dilemma -- an increasingly authoritarian tyranny of the minority. It is unacceptable.

* Ever being a long time since the GOP isn't changing any time soon.

Even McConnell is trending towards full culture war for real, at least since it is becoming apparent that the Chamber is starting to slip out of their grasp as Corporate America shies away from an ever radicalizing GOP. We really do appear to be accelerating to some end game where either the GOP dies or will succeed in destroying our democracy. They are incompatible with liberal democratic values.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Mr. Turtle prefers to hijack the country from marginally within the Constitution.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yeah it's a crazy statement.The man has been at the epicenter of the death of our politics for decades and really you get a look behind the mask here. He is anti-American values at his core. Corporations using their free speech rights to advocate for tax breaks is ok but advocating for voting rights is not. In the end, the guy realized he lost the 'reasonableness' battle after his impeachment speech, weeks later he shed his skin, and is remaking himself anew in Trump's image. It's gross.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Uh...this might be bad.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I would love to see them attempt to define it.
Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:03 pm Uh...this White be bad.
FTFY
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

malchior wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:03 pm Uh...this might be bad.

Wow, white folk sure can be uppity... :D
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Somebody remind Mitch McConnell that it’s his fault corporations are people with free speech rights to give money freely for political purposes. Too bad for him the market now has to take into account consequences other than tax cuts.

So bite me, Mr Turtle.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
raydude

Post by raydude »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:02 pm
malchior wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:03 pm Uh...this might be bad.

Wow, white folk sure can be uppity... :D
They're not sending their best.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

"Traditional American way of life" is code for "Straight white male Christian way of life."
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:54 am "Traditional American way of life" is code for "Straight white male Christian way of life."
I want to hear them say it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zarathud wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:10 pm Somebody remind Mitch McConnell that it’s his fault corporations are people with free speech rights to give money freely for political purposes. Too bad for him the market now has to take into account consequences other than tax cuts.

So bite me, Mr Turtle.
^^^^^^

Warning them to stay out of politics after courting billions from the shadows is puppies.

Demanding the market decide everything but the things he and the people who vote for him don't want the market to decide is unconscionable.

Worst American of my lifetime though it turns out the last president has given him a run for his money and may yet exceed him, even if McConnell opened the door and invited him in, thinking he could and his feral dogs could be controlled.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

The GOP as a cultural minority may have oversized political influence because of an unrepresentative senate, but I think corporations are showing they are realizing where the true majority is.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:43 pm The GOP as a cultural minority may have oversized political influence because of an unrepresentative senate, but I think corporations are showing they are realizing where the true majority is.
They have different constituencies - they have to avoid alienating consumers in the marketplace as well as avoid alienating current / future employees too much. I also suspect that there are plenty of Mitt Romney-style Republicans but very few out and out Trumpists among corporate leadership.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:43 pm The GOP as a cultural minority may have oversized political influence because of an unrepresentative senate, but I think corporations are showing they are realizing where the true majority is.
And while Democrats aren't likely to scrape the cupboard bare with insane corporate tax cuts, they know who butters their bread.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:00 pm
And while Democrats aren't likely to scrape the cupboard bare with insane corporate tax cuts, they know who butters their bread.
And generally speaking, chaos isn't great for business.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:03 pmAnd generally speaking, chaos isn't great for business.
Definitely. Our useless media might have mostly forgotten the 1/6 insurrection, but I think the business world saw the abyss. I also think to your point about employees is spot on. They have increasingly had to deal with employee uprisings since the kids are not alright. There are definitely illiberal tendencies there that the business leaders have to balance in the workforce. Delta for instance changed its tune quickly amidst reports theat internal staff had a meltdown over the neutral stance their PR tried to take on the GA voting law changes.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Democrats need to pound out the message that voter suppression is bad for business (unlikely but possible). They have a unique opportunity to form a coalition of centrists, liberals, minorities and corporations. Hope they don't blow it. :roll:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter