Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by malchior »

Also keep in mind the election *just happened*. We need to check back on them later in the year and see who did and didn't keep their pledges. I think we will be very unsurprised that the numbers keeping their word will be low.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Right because instead of donating directly to the awful garbage people, now they're donating to political action groups that support the candidates or the platforms instead.

All the threats from Cruz and McConnell apparently had the intended impact - do what you can to insulate yourselves from direct association, but we still want your money in exchange for our votes.

I can't help but feel history will not be kind to this phase of America's trajectory.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:50 pmI can't help but feel history will not be kind to this phase of America's trajectory.
It depends on the result but there are so many things that are just ridiculous about America. Pick a policy area and it's goddamn ridiculous. Guns. Insane. Health care. Corrupt and insane. Voting rights. Tax code. Economic policy. Trade policy. Energy policy. It's just a mess of inconsistent and self-defeating measures that make no sense. It's all tied back to the fact that one party has gone *insane* and for whatever reason no one cares to deal with it.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:09 pm
Drazzil wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:03 pm We need to arrest a lot of the GOP and unroll those fuckers using the RICO laws. Because the GOP by this point is just one big crime organization. No one listens to me when I say this but it's the only way we are going to avert a collapse or a civil war.

In 2022 or 2024 when the senate or the house refuses to certify Dem elections that they won, then the Dems would be in the position of saying f the house and the SC or outright just handing the whole thing to the republicans.
Just mass arrests of political opponents for fear of what they might do? Hmmm. That would most certainly mark the end of our fragile, shaky American idea of democracy, and a bullet to the head of our federal republic.
Over fear of what they MIGHT do? With respect, for what they HAVE BEEN DOING for a while now.They aren't just political opponents, they're ACTIVELY doing crime like right now in an ORGANIZED way. The whole GOP. The GOP is a *criminal organization*. Oh and news flash? Our fragile American democracy is already dead. It's been dead for a while now. Oh and IMO our federal republic needs a bullet to the head. It's not working for anyone save for a few thousand of the ultra rich.

I know this sounds extremely dramatic, and horrible. You know, I don't think I really have the chops to defend a lot of the stances I take, but I know in my heart they are true. I get dogpiled a lot here, I get my fill, and then I skate out for periods. Sometimes I stop by to post an "I told you so" and to be honest to myself; I dunno why I bother. No one here listens to me. I don't really contribute much to the discussion because I am no longer erudite enough to defend my stances. Writing is a skill that declines with lack of use.

I guess what I am trying to get out; is that our government and our political order is doomed. Nothing to save it now. What we *really* need to be discussing is what we do with the SHTF. We need to talk about strategies to survive what's coming next. Because it cant and won't be stopped.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It's not dead. It isn't over yet but the prognosis is pretty bad. In any case, it isn't even likely going to be a dramatic change. There will be pockets of violence but the Sons of Jacob aren't going to announce the formation of the Republic of Gilead. For many it'll be little different but law rollbacks will target women's rights and government will begin turning a blind eye to discrimination of all sorts. Over long periods of time, the states and federal governments will drift further out of sync both in law and culture. Sort of like how marijuana policy is widely divergent now between many states and the federal government. In this scenario, there will be challenges, power struggles, and various macro effects that are hard to predict. The United States may over time become less relevant as a world leader but it will almost certainly be close to the pace as we see it now...a slow decline.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

malchior wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:33 pm It's not dead. It isn't over yet but the prognosis is pretty bad. In any case, it isn't even likely going to be a dramatic change. There will be pockets of violence but the Sons of Jacob aren't going to announce the formation of the Republic of Gilead. For many it'll be little different but law rollbacks will target women's rights and government will begin turning a blind eye to discrimination of all sorts. Over long periods of time, the states and federal governments will drift further out of sync both in law and culture. Sort of like how marijuana policy is widely divergent now between many states and the federal government. In this scenario, there will be challenges, power struggles, and various macro effects that are hard to predict. The United States may over time become less relevant as a world leader but it will almost certainly be close to the pace as we see it now...a slow decline.
That's actually worse. I'm at the bottom of the ladder so I'm likely dead either way, but I'd rather see a civil war/breakup rather then a worsening of the current situation and the misery index rising for the vast majority of people, including myself.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Drazzil wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:39 pmThat's actually worse. I'm at the bottom of the ladder so I'm likely dead either way, but I'd rather see a civil war/breakup rather then a worsening of the current situation and the misery index rising for the vast majority of people, including myself.
I don't follow. It'll probably look much like today. The difference is the arrow may very well begin to bend away from justice but I don't know who'd end up dead beyond the unfortunate constant churn of random violence, poverty effects (drug abuse), etc.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

malchior wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:49 pm
Drazzil wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:39 pmThat's actually worse. I'm at the bottom of the ladder so I'm likely dead either way, but I'd rather see a civil war/breakup rather then a worsening of the current situation and the misery index rising for the vast majority of people, including myself.
I don't follow. It'll probably look much like today. The difference is the arrow may very well begin to bend away from justice but I don't know who'd end up dead beyond the unfortunate constant churn of random violence, poverty effects (drug abuse), etc.
You think the poorer third of the country will continue to be worked to death, and predated upon? I'm asking this because I don't know myself. I would have thought the poor, and working class would have called time on this a lonnnnnng time ago, but I guess the media really has a hold on these people. Maybe they will adapt themselves to a worsening standard of living forever, maybe the surveillance and media complex will maintain a stranglehold on the oppressed, but I would like to believe that somewhere somehow there would be an uprising. Maybe I'm too optimistic.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I draw some comfort from living in a true blue state. Even if the fascists complete their takeover of the federal government, they won't reign here. For example, Mass. recently passed (over Baker's veto) the ROE Act, securing and expanding abortion rights.
The ROE Act, as it's called, will allow abortions after 24 weeks of pregnancy in cases with a fatal fetal anomaly and in instances when a physician deems it necessary "to preserve the patient's physical or mental health."

It also lowers the age at which individuals can seek an abortion without the consent of a parent or a judge from 18 to 16.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Drazzil wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:03 pmOh and IMO our federal republic needs a bullet to the head. It's not working for anyone save for a few thousand of the ultra rich.
Uh....no. That's the sad curse of the modern revolutionary. If the system was really THAT bad, you would have had your revolution already.

I strongly suspect that nobody on this board falls within the ultra-rich category. Many of us are decidedly closer to the other side of the spectrum. But revolution is still going to be a pretty tough sell here, because things have to be REALLY damn desperate before rolling those dice looks like a good option. Don't get me wrong, I know you would roll them in a heartbeat and maybe that's even a rational decision from your perspective, but you are still the outlier in American society. (Maybe not QUITE as much of an outlier as you were 10 years ago, but an outlier none the less.)

But for what it's worth, I'm glad you're back. We're not exactly a diverse group, so variety is always welcome.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

GOP are the new anti-American hooligans.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Prepare to gag

raydude

Post by raydude »

More Popehat in the news. This time in response to Dan Crenshaw's request for military whistleblowers to submit examples of 'woke' culture in the military.
malchior

Post by malchior »

raydude wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:31 am More Popehat in the news. This time in response to Dan Crenshaw's request for military whistleblowers to submit examples of 'woke' culture in the military.
The 'Starship Troopers' one kills me. The reference is good but the step up to the OCS talk was a spark of brilliance.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

raydude wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:31 am More Popehat in the news. This time in response to Dan Crenshaw's request for military whistleblowers to submit examples of 'woke' culture in the military.
paywall
Holman

Post by Holman »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:11 am
paywall
Ken tweets it here:

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:11 am
paywall
disable javascript.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I wasn't sure where this should go but a number of people have suggested to Trump that he run for the House, and if Republicans win it, he could become Speaker of the House, in preparation for a 2024 run for the president:

Please, someone, indict him and spare us this and other nightmares.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Grifman wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:02 pm Please, someone, indict him and spare us this and other nightmares.
I can honestly say I didn't see that nightmare coming, so thanks. Wow.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:04 pm
Grifman wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:02 pm Please, someone, indict him and spare us this and other nightmares.
I can honestly say I didn't see that nightmare coming, so thanks. Wow.
That particular nightmare may actually benefit the Dems as voters all over could be encouraged to turn out and prevent the Republicans from taking the house. Relegating him to a freshman representative is certainly the lesser of those evils and when he forces his way to minority leader the entire Republican house caucus becomes a joke able to be manipulated with a single kind word.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

malchior

Post by malchior »

This isn't Trump's only havok path. He doesn't have to run to be Speaker. The Republicans can win a majority and then install Trump.
Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:43 am This isn't Trump's only havok path. He doesn't have to run to be Speaker. The Republicans can win a majority and then install Trump.
That's right. The Speaker of the House does not have to be a member.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:59 pm
malchior wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:43 am This isn't Trump's only havok path. He doesn't have to run to be Speaker. The Republicans can win a majority and then install Trump.
I did not know that. Has that ever happened before?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kraken wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:38 pm
I did not know that. Has that ever happened before?
No. But it has been theorized and generally accepted as true for a long time.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Dems could elect Tom Hanks or Henry Rollins as Speaker of the House today.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Trump already is a member. A YUGE member. Not sure how that affects the math, here?
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

That could put Trump second in line of succession :ninja:
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Here’s an even worse scenario. If Trump were convicted of a crime, there’s nothing that prevents him from running for president. He could run and win, declare the WH to be a federal prison facility and get himself transferred there. Or he could just pardon himself. Pick your poison.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:27 pm
Trump already is a member. A YUGE member. Not sure how that affects the math, here?
Trump could be appointed speaker, and have the president and the VP impeached.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Alefroth wrote:That could put Trump second in line of succession
Maybe something those "2nd Amendment" people could take into consideration. :grund:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Drazzil wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:10 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:27 pm
Trump could be appointed speaker, and have the president and the VP impeached.
Even with the system stacked in favor of the GOP, they don't have a plausible shot at getting to the 2/3rds vote in the Senate needed to convict.

HOWEVER, Trumpist lunatics would rapidly become aware that if something happened to Biden and Harris, that Trump would then become president. So...that would be fun. Because in addition to having an insane and broken political system, we have an insane and easy to break presidential succession system.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Not to mention all the reports of Trumpists riddled throughout the Secret Service. This all sounds crazy but there are seeds of plausibility here. The Republicans are off in the radical wilderness. Anything feels possible.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I honestly don't think Trump is going to be up to politicking much longer.

He has made two (IIRC) public appearances since leaving office, and in both of them he appeared tired and sloppy.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holman wrote:I honestly don't think Trump is going to be up to politicking much longer.

He has made two (IIRC) public appearances since leaving office, and in both of them he appeared tired and sloppy.
If you’re referring to ‘backwards pants’, while funny, that was a hoax apparently.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:05 am
Holman wrote:I honestly don't think Trump is going to be up to politicking much longer.

If you’re referring to ‘backwards pants’, while funny, that was a hoax apparently.
I never thought that was real, but his delivery was noted for lacking the old Trump rally energy.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:05 am

Hoax withstanding, something funky was definitely going on with the pants. They did not look normal.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You put that much crap in a pair of pants and they’re naturally going to look funny.
He won. Period.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:48 pm You put that much crap in a pair of pants and they’re naturally going to look funny.
:lol:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Thirty percent of Republicans think Trump will be reinstated as president:

Between this and Covid insanity, the US is doomed.