The Ted Cruz Train Wreck

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: The Ted Cruz Train Wreck

Post by Max Peck »

Rip wrote:
gbasden wrote:
Rip wrote:As far as the employment goes, I wouldn't worry too much. We will need lots of military men and folks to guard and paint walls and such.
Oh, so an expansion of big government?

"Brownshirts - good jobs at good wages!"
Oh no, he will privatize most of it so we can feel good about it, like the prisons.

Good ol Christie has set a good example.

http://www.governing.com/topics/mgmt/pr ... tions.html
It'll be Erik Prince's time to shine! :)
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rip wrote:As far as the employment goes, I wouldn't worry too much. We will need lots of military men and folks to guard and paint walls and such.
I thought Mexico was supposed to do that? You mean we're going to be expected to steal jobs from poor Mexican workers?
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

Jeff V wrote:
I thought Mexico was supposed to do that? You mean we're going to be expected to steal jobs from poor Mexican workers?
They are just paying for it. The Mexican government is far too corrupt to rely on them for personnel to guard. We could probably kick them a little cash to provide landfills for all the trash we will be taking out.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rip wrote:
Jeff V wrote:
They are just paying for it. The Mexican government is far too corrupt to rely on them for personnel to guard. We could probably kick them a little cash to provide landfills for all the trash we will be taking out.
It's estimated that by year 3, annual maintenance costs alone will cost more than the damn thing costs to build in the first place.
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

It's an election cycle promise.... Make that wall last 4 years before the maintenance costs kick in, and we could have the promise of a NEW wall, paid for...., every 4 years !!
Rip

Post by Rip »

We will pay for it by charging people to get in AND to get out. :twisted:

Walt Disney had the right idea he was just thinking too small.

Welcome to Trumpland!
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
tgb wrote: Women have always had a thing for Abbott & Costello.

Really? I get a much more McCarthian vibe from Ted than Costello...and for the gravy, both Cruz and McCarthy were both seemingly despised by almost everyone.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

OK, you win. That's both amazing and creepy. Still, I wish someone would do the Cruz>McCarthy morph.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Elizabeth Warren ripped Cruz a new one over his self pitying fundraising letter.
Know whose health is limited? Workers w/ no paid leave who can't stay home when sick or caring for kids. @TedCruz won't support it.
Know who gets no personal time? People who work 2 min wage jobs to support their families. @TedCruz opposes giving them a raise.
God, I wish Warren had run this year!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Phew. That was a bit of a beat down. That said, the fund raising letter pretty much begged for such a response.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

gbasden wrote:God, I wish Warren had run this year!
If only.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Did I just hear audio of Ted Cruz speaking to a bunch of Hoosiers and calling it a "Basketball Ring". Because if that's the case, it's over.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

He said they're going to spike the basket ball in the net hole for the home run, just like at dear old Princeton.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Major announcement from Cruz this afternoon. I can only imagine what it'll be.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote:Major announcement from Cruz this afternoon. I can only imagine what it'll be.
He's agreed to costar with his female twin for another 10 grand?

"Cruzing for Cruz" is the working title, I've heard.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Would be better if he was going to name her as VP.
Enough

Post by Enough »

The rumor is it's going to be Carly for VP announcement. And OMG, going back to basketball rings, check out this woman's reaction. :lol:
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Rip

Post by Rip »

Enough wrote:The rumor is it's going to be Carly for VP announcement. And OMG, going back to basketball rings, check out this woman's reaction. :lol:
That is too priceless for just a simple link.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Between Cruz, Romney, and Rubio, I think we have ample proof that aliens have infiltrated the human race.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Eh, he's probably heard "ring" every time someone says "rim." Accents combined with lack of reading/caring/whatever does that.

"Take a different tact"
"Seven RBIs"
"Malt and harps"
"The ony reason I visit Fort Worth is for votes and ringjobs"
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Eh, he's probably heard "ring" every time someone says "rim." Accents combined with lack of reading/caring/whatever does that.

"Take a different tact"
"Seven RBIs"
"Malt and harps"
And the home crew strolls out to their placements on the based ball parallelogram.
Rip

Post by Rip »

GreenGoo wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:Eh, he's probably heard "ring" every time someone says "rim." Accents combined with lack of reading/caring/whatever does that.

"Take a different tact"
"Seven RBIs"
"Malt and harps"
And the home crew strolls out to their placements on the based ball parallelogram.
Is the pitching hill the same height in Canada as it is in Texas?

:ninja:

Did you know we have icescrapermobiles in Texas just like the ones in Canada?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Enough wrote:The rumor is it's going to be Carly for VP announcement. And OMG, going back to basketball rings, check out this woman's reaction. :lol:
https://www.cruzcarly.com/
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Reuters: Carly Fiorina signs up to another doomed merger
Carly Fiorina is embarking on another doomed merger. U.S. presidential candidate Ted Cruz tapped the former Hewlett-Packard boss to be his running mate if he can somehow win the Republican nomination. The math, after a five-state sweep on Tuesday night by real-estate mogul Donald Trump, is about as compelling as the $25 billion takeover of Compaq that Fiorina championed some 14 years ago.

Like her disastrous corporate deal, the logic, timing and calculus of this political one are almost all wrong. Just as HP thought it would give IBM a run for its money back in 2002 by acquiring Compaq, Cruz and Fiorina reckon that together they might have a better shot at catching the front-runner. An upcoming primary ballot in California, where Fiorina lost a U.S. Senate election in 2010, represents a last-ditch hope to help Cruz, especially with women voters.

Just as the marriage of HP and Compaq was an ill-fated attempt to fight falling PC sales, this awkward campaign alliance is railing against nearly inevitable forces. The timing also gives off a similar whiff of desperation. It is too early to be choosing vice presidential candidates. The GOP convention isn’t even due to kick off in Cleveland for another three months.

Finally, the numbers simply don’t add up. After winning primary elections in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, Connecticut and Rhode Island, Trump ensured that Cruz cannot secure enough votes to earn a clean, early win to be the party’s representative. Rather, it would take a messy set of circumstances, in a so-called brokered convention where no candidate has enough delegate support on the first go-round, for the Cruz/Fiorina ticket to advance.

Fiorina may not single-handedly destroy as much value this time as she did in her last merger attempt. The failed outcome, however, is destined to be the same.
That's an awful lot of words just to set up a horrible Beavis-and-Butthead "Cruz tapped Fiorina" joke.
Enlarge Image

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Enough wrote:The rumor is it's going to be Carly for VP announcement.
If people way behind start doing that, maybe Kasich should make a VP announcement as well. As in, who he'll be the VP candidate of.
Holman

Post by Holman »

John Boehner on Ted Cruz, yesterday:
“Lucifer in the flesh,” the former speaker said. “I have Democrat friends and Republican friends. I get along with almost everyone, but I have never worked with a more miserable son of a bitch in my life.”
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I honestly think that Cruz believed he was a sure bet for, at the very least, the GOP pick. Everything he did up to that point was pandering to the factions he felt were growing. Then Trump blindsided him. The guy has got to be desperate as hell right now.
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

I was really expecting Cruz and Kasich to announce a joint ticket. If Trump doesn't get a first-ballot majority, Cruz/Kasich could try to justify delegates defecting to them on the basis that they are the only long-term Republicans in the race.

It's the closest thing to a plausible narrative left available. That it's not happening reflects that the people necessary to support it all hate Cruz as well.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holman wrote:I was really expecting Cruz and Kasich to announce a joint ticket. If Trump doesn't get a first-ballot majority, Cruz/Kasich could try to justify delegates defecting to them on the basis that they are the only long-term Republicans in the race.

It's the closest thing to a plausible narrative left available. That it's not happening reflects that the people necessary to support it all hate Cruz as well.
But I think Kasich really wants to be president. A scenario that marries him to a party pariah will take him further from that goal, not closer. If Trump fails to get the first ballot majority, other options will open up for him, some which might even have a greater than zero percent chance of success. The important thing though is to retain the image as "the sane one." He'll be back in 2020 if Hillary is failing, or 2024 if not (although at 72 he'll be at the end of his useful candidacy).
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Holman wrote:John Boehner on Ted Cruz, yesterday:
“Lucifer in the flesh,” the former speaker said. “I have Democrat friends and Republican friends. I get along with almost everyone, but I have never worked with a more miserable son of a bitch in my life.”
How many delegates does hell have? Cause Cruz might have a lock on it.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Ten people who say they loathe Ted Cruz. And three who say they don't (although they did need to include his wife and his VP pick to fill out that list of three).
Heidi Cruz wrote:The former Goldman Sachs executive told Fox News of her husband: "Ted has a very rare combination that I spotted immediately, which is that he has a deep, deep intelligence, but at the same time, he's a lot of fun."

Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Was not listing his mom an oversight? Or does she not like him too?
Enough

Post by Enough »

Holman wrote:I was really expecting Cruz and Kasich to announce a joint ticket. If Trump doesn't get a first-ballot majority, Cruz/Kasich could try to justify delegates defecting to them on the basis that they are the only long-term Republicans in the race.

Yep, it's the same reason the collusion plan will never work. Kasich voters loath ideologue Cruz with a passion and Cruz supporters feel the same way about Kasich and his Rhino/compromise-loving ways.

Also, on an unrelated note... while typing this a spider just ran up on my keyboard and crawled somewhere under the keys.... I might be done posting for awhile. :shock:
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Finally heard one of the Cruz sponsored radio ads about the ridiculously overblown transgendered bathroom rights issue. It's such a vitriolic, homophobic piece of hate that I thought it was a parody piece at first. :roll:
Covfefe!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

The one thing that can make me sympathize with Ted Cruz? Watching him try to debate Trump supporters.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Captain Caveman wrote:The one thing that can make me sympathize with Ted Cruz? Watching him try to debate Trump supporters.
Well, after this I think I would at least make a favorable reference to Cruz in the House.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Cruz: and a question that everyone here should ask....
Trump supporter: Are you Canadian?

:lol:

Cruz: and I believe the people of Indiana have the common sense, good judgment...
Trump supporter: Wooo!! Vote for Trump!! Everybody vote for Trump!!

Cruz retreats...

:doh:
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon