The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Paingod

Re: The Former Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Paingod »

Holman wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:25 am Speaking of presidential portraits, you might recall that Obama's was controversial for its untraditional style.
I don't mind untraditional style, but the portrait is very busy and he doesn't stand out as the focus. It looks more like the wall of leaves is the focus and he's in the way.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
geezer

Post by geezer »

Paingod wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:34 pm
Holman wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:25 am Speaking of presidential portraits, you might recall that Obama's was controversial for its untraditional style.
I don't mind untraditional style, but the portrait is very busy and he doesn't stand out as the focus. It looks more like the wall of leaves is the focus and he's in the way.
That's intentional:
“There’s a fight between him and his plants in the foreground. Who gets to be the star of the show: the story or the man who inhabits that story?” Wiley [the artist] said at the unveiling.
Good stuff on the Obama painting at WaPo
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Holman wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:19 am
If Trump ever asked for Obama's portrait, I hope the Gallery wouldn't let him get his hands on it.
When he asked, I believe they said it was being audited.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

geezer wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:52 pm
Paingod wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:34 pm
That's intentional:
“There’s a fight between him and his plants in the foreground. Who gets to be the star of the show: the story or the man who inhabits that story?” Wiley [the artist] said at the unveiling.
Good stuff on the Obama painting at WaPo
That may be the first time in 43 years that I actually got a piece of art "right" without someone holding my hand through it. Congrats to the artist.
Black Lives Matter

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I swear I want to punch someone every time I see people bitching that the gas prices are going up and it's all Biden's fault. I'd point out the facts, but that is of course pointless. At least complain about something he's actually doing... :x
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Octavious wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:33 pm I swear I want to punch someone every time I see people bitching that the gas prices are going up and it's all Biden's fault. I'd point out the facts, but that is of course pointless. At least complain about something he's actually doing... :x
And it's everywhere. All my MAGA relatives are bitching about it non-f'ing-stop.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

The honest answer is "Anything to shit on a Liberal"

It doesn't really matter how much sense it is or who's genuinely at fault. Democrats are the enemy. They must be called out. Somewhere a MAGA-hatter has dropped his gun and shot himself in the foot and started screaming that the Democrats should have stopped him, and that they better pay his medical bills, and not with any of that ObAmAcArE bullshit.
Last edited by Paingod on Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

malchior

Post by malchior »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:23 pm
Octavious wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:33 pm I swear I want to punch someone every time I see people bitching that the gas prices are going up and it's all Biden's fault. I'd point out the facts, but that is of course pointless. At least complain about something he's actually doing... :x
And it's everywhere. All my MAGA relatives are bitching about it non-f'ing-stop.
I frankly don't give a damn about figuring out their concerns anymore. We're all aware that they are angry, we've heard them, we now know we can't make them happy, and we know they are idiots. All we can do is make the rest of society better and maybe they'll become irrelevant.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

malchior wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:33 pmI frankly don't give a damn about figuring out their concerns anymore. We're all aware that they are angry, we've heard them, we now know we can't make them happy, and we know they are idiots. All we can do is make the rest of society better and maybe they'll become irrelevant.
People who ignore cancers and infections tend to die from them. I see a lot of these people as a kind of gangrene on society's extremities. Ignoring them does nothing to educate them or stop them from spreading more lies and hate. I think ignoring them is how they ended up with a man in the White House.
Black Lives Matter

malchior

Post by malchior »

Paingod wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:35 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:33 pmI frankly don't give a damn about figuring out their concerns anymore. We're all aware that they are angry, we've heard them, we now know we can't make them happy, and we know they are idiots. All we can do is make the rest of society better and maybe they'll become irrelevant.
People who ignore cancers and infections tend to die from them. I see a lot of these people as a kind of gangrene on society's extremities. Ignoring them does nothing to educate them or stop them from spreading more lies and hate. I think ignoring them is how they ended up with a man in the White House.
I think the time to address the problem with them is unfortunately in the past right now. You can't re-educate 80M+ people. They've been broken by years of propaganda and social media bubbles. And those misinformation networks aren't going anywhere. We have to be realistic about the prospects and that includes understanding that they are unfixable.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Look at Fox. As soon as they even slightly back off the crazy their numbers dropped. They of course have gone back to normal with the fear mongering. I thought we had made progress when Obama was in office, but Trump made it painfully obvious that we're getting worse not better.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I think the best we can hope for at this point is making sure their numbers are decreasing over time, and not increasing.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:08 pm I think the best we can hope for at this point is making sure their numbers are decreasing over time, and not increasing.
It's a good thing the states that are in the "Reddest" way promote sex education over abstinence and provide solid science educations to allow their citizens to compete fairly in the global marketplace.
Black Lives Matter

Carpet_pissr

The Former Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YellowKing wrote:I think the best we can hope for at this point is making sure their numbers are decreasing over time, and not increasing.
Unlikely unless we fix the social media problem. Disinformation is becoming a big business now, and more and more content creators are realizing that, while seemingly few consumers are.

It’s a scary trend.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:07 pm
YellowKing wrote:I think the best we can hope for at this point is making sure their numbers are decreasing over time, and not increasing.
Unlikely unless we fix the social media problem. Disinformation is becoming a big business now, and more and more content creators are realizing that, while seemingly few consumers are.

It’s a scary trend.
This is a very very hard truth.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I still think there's hope. More traditional red states have been shifting purple than vice versa as demographics change. Republicans have the older electorate by a bit. There's a reason the GOP has had to resort to gerrymandering and dirty tricks to stay in power - it's certainly not because their base is growing.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I really do wonder about this: have we ever had a sociopath as president before Trump?

Some have proposed that JFK actually had a clinically narcissistic personality, but not a malignant one. And I've heard it suggested that Teddy Roosevelt's attitudes towards war and suffering suggest that he lacked basic human empathy to a pathological level. But of course TR's notions of honor and patriotism would have made it impossible for him to actually sabotage his country for the sake of personal ego.

Trump, though. We saw it every day for four years.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

"Our Supreme Court and our courts didn't have the courage to overturn elections" -- Trump
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Re: Trump complaining the SC didn't "overturn" the election:

I was about to reply that most people watching and listening to that (regular listeners, not as a clip on the internet) would claim that it was a fake, or that he didn't mean it in the way that libs are getting triggered about.

But that's not right at all, is it? That reaction would have been very 2016. TODAY, I think the response would be "AND?!?!" :cry:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Now Florida Man is encouraging his followers to get vaccinated. He should try harder on having dead people vote.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:19 am Re: Trump complaining the SC didn't "overturn" the election:

I was about to reply that most people watching and listening to that (regular listeners, not as a clip on the internet) would claim that it was a fake, or that he didn't mean it in the way that libs are getting triggered about.

But that's not right at all, is it? That reaction would have been very 2016. TODAY, I think the response would be "AND?!?!" :cry:
The respectable answer for GOP Senators and the like is going to be "oh, he only wanted the courts to overturn the election because he viewed it as tainted and fraudulent. Certainly he wouldn't want to overturn a fully fair election."

Well, that and pretending that they don't know what he said.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Does that sound like a motive for say an insurrection to anyone else?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:28 ampretending that they don't know what he said.
There's a difference between pretending and actually blotting it out in your memory so it never existed to you. I suspect they've evolved a way to do the latter.
Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:28 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:19 am Re: Trump complaining the SC didn't "overturn" the election:

The respectable answer for GOP Senators and the like is going to be "oh, he only wanted the courts to overturn the election because he viewed it as tainted and fraudulent. Certainly he wouldn't want to overturn a fully fair election."

Well, that and pretending that they don't know what he said.
Not because he viewed them as fraudulent but because they claim to know election was fraudulent... until it goes to court...
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:09 am Now Florida Man is encouraging his followers to get vaccinated. He should try harder on having dead people vote.
That's because Fauci played him like a fiddle:
Wallace asked Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, how much of a difference it would make if Mr. Trump led a campaign to urge Republicans to get vaccinated. Fauci replied: "It would make all the difference in the world."

"He's a very widely popular person among Republicans," Fauci continued. "If he came out and said, 'Go and get vaccinated. It's really important for your health, the health of your family and the health of the country,' it seems absolutely inevitable that the vast majority of people who are his close followers would listen to him."
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

A waxwork museum removed a statue of former President Donald Trump because people kept on attacking it, the San Antonio Express-News reported.

Visitors to Louis Tussaud's Waxworks Museum in San Antonio, Texas, reportedly punched and scratched the figure so many times that the museum's curators decided to remove it from public view.
https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-w ... -it-2021-3
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Did they try to combine it with the Boris Johnson figure? Because, as a likeness, it's crap.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:58 pm Did they try to combine it with the Boris Johnson figure? Because, as a likeness, it's crap.
I dunno, if it's crap, it sounds like they got Trump's likeness nailed.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Missed opportunity for a Snidely Whiplash mustache.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Defiant wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:04 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:58 pm Did they try to combine it with the Boris Johnson figure? Because, as a likeness, it's crap.
I dunno, if it's crap, it sounds like they got Trump's likeness nailed.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Why is George Plimpton between Putin and Rocket Man? What a strange trio.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I hope the person(s) developing the platform is getting paid up front and not being lured with some type of stake in company stock.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:03 am I hope the person(s) developing the platform is getting paid up front and not being lured with some type of stake in company stock.
What, you don't trust the Trumps with having everyone else do all the work and taking all the financial and liability risk so they can take advantage of the sterling reputation of the Trump brand?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:03 am I hope the person(s) developing the platform is getting paid up front and not being lured with some type of stake in company stock.
The rumors are it's Brad Parscale (link is to a character reference of sorts). He has already helped Trump grift from the Trump Presidential campaign for millions of dollars. It's grift all the way down with these scumbags. Too bad our nation is somehow defenseless against it.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Holman wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:32 am <twitter>
Lara Trump says that Trump is working on building a new social media platform where conservatives will be free to say whatever they want and won't "feel like the fact checkers are going to be all over them."
Parlor 2.0? I hope they enjoy the racist echo chamber. I mean, my mental image of Florida Man's social media platform is him yelling into a (insert grotesque ancient internet meme people torture each other with) picture with a bullhorn.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, at least they'll be in an echo chamber agreeing with each other instead of on Facebook and Twitter convincing peoples' grandparents.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:52 am Well, at least they'll be in an echo chamber agreeing with each other instead of on Facebook and Twitter convincing peoples' grandparents.
I wish I had your optimism that a (the?) target market for this product isn't peoples' grandparents.